Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,912 members, 7,802,969 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:58 AM

LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? (1258 Views)

Some Grammatical Mistakes You Make And Things You Say Wrong. / 'Money Heist': UNIBEN Accounting Final Year Students In Spanish Series Costume / If You Say There Is No God, Let Me Show You My JAMB Result (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 12:20pm On Dec 27, 2016
Let's begin with the Seasonal greetings.

The method is dis: use star (*) to write the spanish language, use hash (#) to write the english translation. Take a cue from this:

*Feliz Navidad
#Merry (or Happy) Xmas

*Prospero ano y Felicidad
#Happy Prosperous New Year.

Please ensure you give us accurate wordings, be sure no typo error in the spanish words, and give us accurate translation.

If you detect any Error please quote and make your correction.

*Gracias!
#Thank you!

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 12:25pm On Dec 27, 2016
You may ask someone:
*Como estas? #How are you?
The responses could be any of these:
*bien #good (or well)
*muy bien #very good
If you are feeling on top of the world you could respond by saying:
*Fantastico #Fantastic

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by Nobody: 1:44pm On Dec 27, 2016
mi hermano tu eres muy gracioso, i don't think i should translate for you. Anyways this is cool. my lil' phone doesn't have spanish letters though. mi el amor a espanyol es grande!
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 8:34pm On Dec 27, 2016
junioromniscient:
mi hermano tu eres muy gracioso, i don't think i should translate for you.
Anyways this is cool.
my lil' phone doesn't have spanish letters though.
mi el amor a espanyol es grande!

How do we learn from your post if you didn't interprete?
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 8:49pm On Dec 27, 2016
*Buenas Tardes *Buenas Noches #Good evening
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 9:32pm On Dec 27, 2016
*de Nada.

#You're welcome.

You say this when you wanna respond to someone for saying Thank You.
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by Nobody: 11:01pm On Dec 27, 2016
belovedsamex:
*Buenas Tardes
*Buenas Noches
#Good evening
belovedsamex:
*de Nada.

#You're welcome.

You say this when you wanna respond to someone for saying Thank You.
belovedsamex:
*Buenas Tardes
*Buenas Noches
#Good evening
is this native espanyol, or mexican espanyol?
***for learners*** "vee" is actually pronunced as "bee"
and "zee" as "the", Sometimes /x/ is /sh/
in native espanyol.
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 11:09am On Dec 28, 2016
junioromniscient:
is this native espanyol, or mexican espanyol? ***for learners*** "vee" is actually pronunced as "bee" and "zee" as "the", Sometimes /x/ is /sh/ in native espanyol.
It is Standard espanyol...acceptable to all spanish-speaking-countries.
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2016
* Buenos dias senor
#Good morning Sir
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 3:55pm On Dec 29, 2016
*como estuvo su noche?

#how was your night?

The response is:............

* Mi noche ha estado buena

#my night has been good

This is freaking simple friends. Its easy to make simple sentences in spanish and get on with the language if you're conversant with the simple words in spanish. Just make the sentence in English, and replace the words with their appropriate meanings in spanish, and you're good to go. I guess you could form other forms of greeting from the one above....for instance:

Noche.........night
Tarde..........day/noon
Dia..............morning

So if I wanna say:

#how was your morning?

The spanish translation would be:

*como estuvo su dia?

And the response would be:

*mi dia ha estado buena

If you got that, you could help me translate this one:

#How was your day?

Try also to give the response. Gracias!

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 8:16am On Dec 30, 2016
Buenos dias mi amigos!

Now here is another one for today:

*Gracias, Mi amigo!
#Tank u, my friend!

*Voy a visitar a mi amigo
#I am going to visit my friend (male)

Pls u could help me translate my greeting message above. Dat wud show u're learning. Gracias!

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by Nobody: 12:42am On Dec 31, 2016
#bravo, mi hermano amablé y trabajador!
*bravo, my tireless and friendly bro'.

Muy excelente.

2 Likes

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by Nobody: 12:56am On Dec 31, 2016
*modified*
and "voy" was misrepresented as I.... in stead of "yo"

question tags in spanish carry double question marks -front and back-
latino, don't you think portugese, espanyol are similar?

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 4:21pm On Dec 31, 2016
Can you use the corrections in a sentence? Thanks
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 4:37pm On Dec 31, 2016
*Feliz ano nuevo
#Happy New Year

*Prospero ano nuevo
#Prosperous New Year
*Feliz ano nuevo, mi amigos!
#Happy New Year, my friends!
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 7:08pm On Jan 01, 2017
I want you to know that in writing spanish, whenever you wanna ask a question, u begin ur sentence with an inverted question mark and end with an upright question mark.
I failed to use it previously until someone here drew my attention to it. BTW thanks @junioromniscient.

So, if I wanna say:

#what time is it?

It would go like this:

*?que hora es?

Pls assume that the first question mark is inverted as there is no way I could achieve the inversion with my phone keys.

Gracias!

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 1:19pm On Jan 03, 2017
Buenos dias, amigos!

*Espero que tu noche fue bien

#Hope your night was good.

Today, let's learn a few things about saying the time in spanish. Remember what we learnt the last time.

*?que hora es?

Now the response could be anything depending on what time of the day it is. Here is a simple way to get a response across:

When someone asks you, ¿Qué hora es? respond with the
following:

*Es la una

#It's 1 o'clock (if the time is within the 1 o’clock hour)

or

*Son las + the hour (if the time is after 1 o’clock)

Now for this last response beyond one o'clock, you have to fill in the appropriate number other than Una (one) in spanish.

So, we are going to learn how to translate numbers into spanish so we could use them to form the remaining time responses. Now here they are:

One..........Uno/Una
Two..........Dos
Three.......Tres
Four.........Cuatro
Five..........Cinco
Six............seis
Seven.......siete
Eight.........Ocho
Nine..........Nueve
Ten............Diez
Eleven.......Once
Twelve.......Doce
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 12:37pm On Jan 05, 2017
So let's make a sentence here:
*Son las Tres!
#It's three O'clock
*son las dos
#it's two o'clock
*son las nueve #it's nine o'clock
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by Nobody: 12:57am On Jan 07, 2017
@belovedsamex
give them a link already,
besides what initially made u like español?
mine was 'cos of the beauty i see on t..v, and the way their tongues wobble when they speak,
remember CATALINA AND SEBASTIAN?
sorry, for deviating.
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by dikeclint10(m): 9:06am On Jan 07, 2017
pls u rili nid to continue teaching Spanish.. I'm learning a lot....or if u know of a site I can get it..pls share
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by TheArchangel(f): 12:00pm On Jan 07, 2017
Signing in.

Spanish is my romantic language.
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 6:49pm On Jan 07, 2017
dikeclint10:
pls u rili nid to continue teaching Spanish.. I'm learning a lot....or if u know of a site I can get it..pls share

Thanks...your words are encouraging. I'm in love with the language so I'll keep writing. Though I'm also learning too.lol
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 2:31am On Jan 10, 2017
Buena Dias, amigos!
?Como estuvo su noche? (U can reply if u like)

Now let's go further in telling time.

Imagine the time is : (2:07)

In English you say:

"It's Seven minutes past two o'clock" (dat's correct!)

In spanish, the technique is like this:

It's + the Hour + y (dis one is constant) + the minute.

I.e

"Las dos y siete"

So that a time like: 2:09 would be reported as

"Las dos y nueve"

Just remember the technique: after "it's (las)" then u have the "hour" plus "y" and finally the "minute".

So let's do these ones once more:

7:10 "las siete y diez" "it's ten past seven"

9:25 "las nueve y veinticinco" "it's twenty-five past nine"

10:45 "las diez y cuarenta y cinco" "it's forty-five past ten"
*"cuarenta y cinco" means "forty-five" in spanish.

So try these:

1. Report these in spanish:

a. 6:03
b. 8:20

2. Report these in English:

a. Las once y veinte
b. Las doce y treinta
Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by dikeclint10(m): 7:31am On Jan 10, 2017
Fantastico amigos....More pls

1 Like

Re: LEARNING SPANISH: How Do You Say This In Spanish? by belovedsamex(m): 9:27am On Jan 12, 2017
Bello dia, mi buena gente! (Beautiful morning, my good people)

Now let's add some more to telling time:

Assuming the time is 2:30 or 3:30 or 7:30,
For English, there are two ways u could report the time and here are the spanish translations for each:

2:30

In English: (thirty past two o'clock) or (Half past two)

In Spanish: (las dos y treinta) or (las dos y media)

NoTe: how it goes for the "half past" times: the hour + y + media (meaning half).

So the others follows suit:

3:30
Las tres y media

7:30
Las siete y media

You can form ur own similar time and then translate it as a practice.

Buena suerte! (Goodluck!)

(1) (Reply)

Is Baby Boom A Blessing Or Curse For Nigeria Economy Now? / Bayero University PG Aspirant 2017/2018 / Top 100 Phobia List

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.