Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,568 members, 7,809,067 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:15 PM

France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football (2785 Views)

France Vs Germany - World Cup Q.final (0 - 1) On 4th July 2014 / France vs Italy: Word Cup 2006 Final / France Vs Portugal : World Cup 2006 Semi-finals (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by JeSoul(f): 7:17pm On Nov 19, 2009
bawomolo:

you know the old school purists would come out saying it slows down the game and all that nonsense.
The same purists that would be screaming bloody murder had it been Nigeria in Ireland's unfortunate position.
Times have advanced, the way we do sports should morph, and people should stop clinging to a dinosaur when there's a ferrari parked beside it.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by semid4lyfe(m): 8:48pm On Nov 19, 2009
And won't the instant replay and issuing of challenges by coaches truly slow down the game? I can imagine a match were every goal, penalty, freekick, yellow & red cards, throw in's etc. is challenged.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by JeSoul(f): 9:12pm On Nov 19, 2009
semid4lyfe:

And won't the instant replay and issuing of challenges by coaches truly slow down the game? I can imagine a match were every goal, penalty, freekick, yellow & red cards, throw in's etc. is challenged.
It won't if its limited and used properly.
Basketball reviews end of game or game-altering calls, Baseball reviews whether it was a home run or not, Tennis issues I think 2 challenges per set to the players and extra if it goes into a tie break.

American football should be the standard. The coaches have challenges/timeouts (2 per half I think) - if they challenge uneccesarily/are wrong they lose a very costly timeout. Also officials can themselves initiate a review of a call during the last 2 minutes of a game.

Soccer needs to catch up with the times and institute replay asap to stop the kind of injustice that happened to Ireland. One challenge (review/replay) can be equal to a substitution if the coach ends up being wrong, that way a coach would think long and hard before challenging a call on the field.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by bawomolo(m): 3:50am On Nov 20, 2009
JeSoul:

It won't if its limited and used properly.
Basketball reviews end of game or game-altering calls, Baseball reviews whether it was a home run or not, Tennis issues I think 2 challenges per set to the players and extra if it goes into a tie break.

American football should be the standard. The coaches have challenges/timeouts (2 per half I think) - if they challenge uneccesarily/are wrong they lose a very costly timeout. Also officials can themselves initiate a review of a call during the last 2 minutes of a game.

Soccer needs to catch up with the times and institute replay asap to stop the kind of injustice that happened to Ireland. One challenge (review/replay) can be equal to a substitution if the coach ends up being wrong, that way a coach would think long and hard before challenging a call on the field.

I agree, just restrict what can be challenged.

a classic example would have being Ikpeba's penalty kick during the nations cup cheesy. It won't slow down the game if used effectively.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by FBS: 8:23am On Nov 20, 2009
How can you restrict what can be challenged?

If you are introducing a new technology, then use it to the fullest!

Extra refs may do just fine, at least for now! Think about the cost to some not very "wealthy" nations.
Did you see the "cardboards" used in our match against Kenya?

However I like the way this is going but I was thinking what would have happened if an African country was involved? Will it generate all this noise?

Heck, why is Mr Platini & Blatter still quiet? I'm sure they should have something to say, no?
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by yoji: 9:46am On Nov 20, 2009
1- the issue of replays slowing down d game has been debunked cos it d amount of time for a replay in rugby exceeds the average protest time when there's a contentious call. i saw that on skysports earlier

2- i feel shocked and dissapointed when some pple on this tread somehow managed to turn the whole issue into a man u /arsenal beef. And as for d guy vehemently supporting henry cos of his arsenal affiliations, is he saying there is no irish player to have played for Arsenal in the past? somehow i doubt that

3- i feel the irish missed d chance to revolutionise the game by continuing to play on. they should hav walked off the pitched and that wud have forced the ref to do d right thing afterall wat did they have to loose at that point.

4- fifa will loose d moral arguement on fair play if this stands. how can they say d refs decision is final in this case but went on to ban eduardo and dida on past occasions. all they are saying now is as long as u can con d ref then u can get away with it since his decision is final.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by Nobody: 11:00am On Nov 20, 2009
FBS,
I can assure you that Monsieur Platini (who always attacks English teams as cheats) is conveniently quiet.don't expect him to say anything on this matter.
As for mr. Blatter,that one doesn't know honesty from cheating.Given the financial scandal that he was implicated in prior to japan/south korea 2002.he used his influence to hush the case.
Both are happy to see france rather than Ireland in the world Cup.
Ifthat is the case,I wonder why they go ahead wit the stress of organising qualifiers for these 'big" nations.
yoji:

1- the issue of replays slowing down d game has been debunked cos it d amount of time for a replay in rugby exceeds the average protest time when there's a contentious call. i saw that on skysports earlier

2- i feel shocked and dissapointed when some pple on this tread somehow managed to turn the whole issue into a man u /arsenal beef. And as for d guy vehemently supporting henry cos of his arsenal affiliations, is he saying there is no irish player to have played for Arsenal in the past? somehow i doubt that

3- i feel the irish missed d chance to revolutionise the game by continuing to play on. they should hav walked off the pitched and that wud have forced the ref to do d right thing afterall wat did they have to loose at that point.

4- fifa will loose d moral arguement on fair play if this stands. how can they say d refs decision is final in this case but went on to ban eduardo and dida on past occasions. all they are saying now is as long as u can con d ref then u can get away with it since his decision is final.
Nice post my man.
Rugby,a sport common to both nations uses video technology.It does not for once take any of the excitement of the so-called "huma-feeling" from the game.
Asfor the Man-U Arsenal beef,it's just coincidence that the culprit was a former arsenal player,and we mancs had to sieze on it.If it were a United player,Gaynners woulda shut down NL (a) demanding for a replay,(b) calling for the head of all United fans.
I don't think walking away wooulda sorted the Irish,i think they woulda gotten into more trouble,though something inside tells me they shoulda walked off.
I wonder why you consider FIFA credible.FIFA didn't as much as mention the incident in their tattered website.FIFA has already lost the moral ground.Fair play is just a joke.TH just confirmed it.If TH cannot recieve a ban for that,then we can aswell expect the 2010 world cup to be fll of cheating.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by FBS: 11:10am On Nov 20, 2009
This case will raise a lot of DUST and FIRE!!
Maybe we may have to replay Barca again?? cheesy
Certainly there were many blatant "handballs" on that day?
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by topeorekoy(m): 1:54pm On Nov 20, 2009
Footy is like that. there are so many balls handled in the box and the ref gave no penalty. there are times that a player scores a goal and it will be adjudged to be hand ball in the process. so footy aint fair, the game btw arsenal and dynamo kiev (not sure) in the champion's league: henry scored a goal and it was adjudged he used his hands but no one raised this much issues abt it.

abeg leave him alone, it happens in footy
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by FBS: 4:35pm On Nov 20, 2009
Roy Keane has lambasted the Republic of Ireland's attempts to get their controversial World Cup play-off match against France replayed.
The Republic appealed to Fifa after their 2-1 aggregate defeat by France on the basis that the winning goal came after a blatant Thierry Henry handball.

But Ipswich boss Keane said: "They can complain all they want but France are going to the World Cup - get over it.

"France were there for the taking and Ireland didn't do it. Same old story."

The Irishman, who made 65 appearances for the Republic as a player, continued: "If I'd been there in the dressing room after the game, I wouldn't be talking about the handball. I'd focus on why the defenders didn't clear it. They should've cleared it.

"I'd be more annoyed with my defenders and my goalkeeper than Thierry Henry. How can you let the ball bounce in your six-yard box? How can you let Thierry Henry get goal-side of you? If the ball goes into the six-yard box, where the hell is my goalkeeper?

"These are skills and lessons you learn as a schoolboy.

"Ireland had their chances in the two games and they never took them. They had chances at Croke Park (in the first leg) and they had chances on Wednesday.

"They didn't take them, but it's the usual FAI (Football Association of Ireland) reaction - 'we've been robbed, the honesty of the game, ' It's rubbish."

And Keane pointed out that controversial decisions went Ireland's way in the qualifying campaign, not least a harsh penalty award against Georgia which helped them to clinch a 2-1 qualifying win in February.

"There was one match against Georgia where Ireland got a penalty and it was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen which changed the whole course of the game.
"I don't remember the FAI after the game saying we should give them a replay."

Keane's antipathy towards the FAI stems back to the Pacific island of Saipan in 2002 when he left the team's pre-World Cup training camp, complaining that the facilities were sub-standard.

Despite the efforts of the media, Keane and manager Mick McCarthy failed to resolve the conflict and Keane missed the World Cup.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8370327.stm
---------------------------------------

FIRE!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by Gekko(m): 5:07pm On Nov 20, 2009
So, did Henry just single-handedly destroyed his legacy or is this going to pass like gas?
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by saworoide: 7:38pm On Nov 20, 2009
What Thiery did was bad but it is what all footballer do day in day out. It just happened that his own determined the fate of the game. When the ball goes out of play and two opposing players raise up their hands to claim the throwing, one of them is definitely attempting to 'cheat'. Haven't you wondered why goalkeepers and defenders always raise up their hands to signify handball even when the attacker uses his head. If FIFA can not employ technology, then we have to live with kind of situation. As Roy Keane pointed out, Ireland also enjoyed this kind of fortune during their qualifiers, they are only shouting now when the decision was against them.

Again, what about that Anelka penalty call?
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by bawomolo(m): 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2009
Gekko:

So, did Henry just single-handedly destroyed his legacy or is this going to pass like gas?

he would be ok. he already admitted to handling the ball so it's not as if there is a cover up.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by yoji: 9:27am On Nov 21, 2009
that ROY KEANE is just a an idiot. y is he trying to make the issue be about him. His attitude brings his patriotism into question. his utterances reveal a man desperate for attention, jjust like a spoilt brat.
how can he blame irish defenders that put in thier best for 90mins and went into extra time. humans tire and its impossible to maintain such high levels of concentration for 120mins haba!
All this coming from a man that walked out on his team due to arguement with his coach over standard of training facilities at a world cup and then expected the FA to phone him and find out wat happened.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by waleski(m): 1:58am On Nov 22, 2009
polls av been conducted by t.v nd internet football sections nd it seems dat people are really in support of video tech being brought into d game.xample is a pol by supersport nd over 80% gave support 2 d usage of tech 4 me we dnt necessarily av 2 use tech al dat is needed is dat more help shuld be given 2 d ref cause he is nt perfect nd wil always av controversal moments so adding more assit refs wil nt be out of question like wat is being done in europa league
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by andyty(m): 12:55pm On Nov 23, 2009
Video replays is used in Lawn tennis but FIFA's excuse is that it will slow down the game and take away the beauty in it, they don't want to remove human error even though it breeds controversy. take it or leave it referees will continue to make mistakes because they are human, hence it is left for FIFA to decide what to do. They should have tried the use of video evidence at the just concluded U-17 world cup held in Nigeria or the use of 4 assistant referees as beign tried by UEFA.
Re: France Vs Ireland :the Importance Of Technology In Football by slimshay(m): 1:51pm On Nov 23, 2009
Technology, what technology? Its months since the Rooney-Almunia incident and if i asked, 'was that a dive or a real penalty?', i will be getting as many 'dives' as 'penalties'. So how long and how many angles before they figure out what really happened. That still cant be concluscively agreed months after?!!

Eduardo was banned only for forensic evience to show there had been contcat. The video will get the easy ones, what about the very much debatable ones?!! If the decisions cant be comprehensive enough leave it alone. orisa b'ole gbami, se mi bi o se bami. Gods if you cant save me, leave me as i came to you.

And will peole stop with all d frenzy, this things only come to the front when loud noisemakers are affected negatively. In the same build up to this qualifiers, Ireland beat Geogia due to faulty calls, a penalty nonetheless, the internet did not crash at that time. Now we cant get rest or log on any sports site its all about how the Irish were cheated. Puleeeze. Get over it already.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kelechi Iheanacho In 2010 And Now. / PHOTOS: Paul Pogba In Mecca, Saudi Arabia Performing Umrah / Authentic Polos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.