Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,807 members, 7,798,726 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 09:19 AM

Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese (17025 Views)

Tokunbo Lexus Rx 300 Or Brand New Kia Rio 2014 / I Need Good Used Japanese Car. / Purchasing A New Kia Rio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ikeyman00(m): 6:49pm On Nov 20, 2009
^^^^^^^^^^

and ur point is. . . ,

nawooo change change change

i guess it depends on kind of change abi

christains like me die christain

so keep ur change #1.50kobo
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by tuyota(m): 7:14pm On Nov 20, 2009
Nice one GNBorh.

However, I believe the Japanese cars are more loaded with extras and safety features than the Korean cars, Also, in terms of strength, I'd take a Japanese car anyday over a Korean car.

It's said that a Mercedes is 2-3 years ahead of it's rivals in terms of design and features. So are Japanese cars ahead of their Korean counterparts. Therefore, buying a sound used Japanese car that's 2-3 years older than a brand new Korean car makes sense.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by swezenberg(m): 7:51pm On Nov 20, 2009
GNBorh,

That was outstanding! El- Magnifico. You've said it all. All those we told yesterday are regretting it today. There is nothing more to say. I think we'll be flogging a dead horse by continuing. The poster has made his choice by reasoning with those who believe in change. Nigeria is facing what she's going through today because the old ones have refused to embrace change.

End of discussion
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 7:54pm On Nov 20, 2009
san26dy:

a 10 year old toyota camry is better than kia any day anytime. Even on the best US roads, KIA doesn't last more more than 10years. But you can put in up to 200-250k on a camry. Camry is still one one the best cars.

A 1999 Camry and a 2009 Cerato? Lol  grin  grin  grin

I need to look for the numbers of my former mechanics so I can give you. You will be needing them sooner than later  grin
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by swezenberg(m): 8:21pm On Nov 20, 2009
Akinalabi,

Please help me send that number to the guy. The Mechanic might even be broke now grin
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2009
THE THAT TALKED ABOUT PEUGEOT 206 THAT CRUMBLED ABOUT 6 MONTHS. I DONT KNOW, BUT WHO KNOWS WHETHER IT IS REFURBISHED. PEUGEOT IN ANY CASE IS NOT A CAR TO WATCH THESE DAYS; IT HAS LOST ITS GLORY.

Refurbished after entering the Nigerian market just 3mths?
You're a joker. All these Japanese, Korean cars ain't strong.

My advice, if you're just starting life, go for toks.
When you 'arrive' you can now dabble into Japanese and Korean new cars.

The major problem with Kia are the parts.
Pray not to have any accident, your car may never be the same again.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by fili24: 1:26am On Nov 21, 2009
hahaha
who go use chinco phones compare original Nokia or Samsung Phone?
No let them take nlylon wey dey the body deceive you ooooo grin grin grin
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by fili24: 1:35am On Nov 21, 2009
Why are Kia cars not so expensive?
IF NA BY FORCE MAKE U USE NEW CAR GO PRICE TOYOTA OR HONDA
BRAND NEW MAKE U SEE D PRICE,MAKE U COME BACK 2 NL CON TELL US, they're da best for nigeria roads
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by farochron(m): 11:53am On Nov 21, 2009
Bluediva,

Do you have a kia, I had an accident with mine sometimes ago and the body was fully repaired I will snap the pix and show you if you are intersted. Then for the parts. My kia is 11 months old and people around me keeps thinking it's 2 month old. Apart from the number plate that is aging you can never tell from the body. Kia will replace all movable parts for you at no cost provided your 3-year warrant is valid. They gave me a set of linkages for free. Mecahnics outiside saw it and said the old was still okay. something that has been condemned by kia. This is what you suffer from when you buy your Toks. Mechanics will constantly live on you.

A lot has been said about kia products on this forum that are not true. I did not want this car at first because my I earlier allowed prejudice to becloud my sense of reasoning. To my dismay it was a lady that convinced me. She took me to her Kia Rio and showed me everything. she offered me a ride and that was it. I'm not saying they are better than Brand new products of Benz, BM, Toyotas and the rest but a brand new Kia is far better than a three year old toks. My road should have sent my kia to the great beyond but it survived. Two of my neighbors' so-called toks are abandoned already
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by sultaan(m): 12:37pm On Nov 21, 2009
The poster should review what comes standard with the new car, and compare to the fairly used car(no more than 2 years old).
For now I'll advice that he compares a 2009 KIA CERATO, to a 2009 KIA FORTE(same cars, only Forte is American spec)

Its your car, if you have the money spent it and get whatever makes you happy.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by princeparis(m): 12:43pm On Nov 21, 2009
Who is comparing oranges with apples. Please when making comparison lets be reasonable. Apple for apple, orange for orange, like for like. Cerato vs Yaris, ok. Camry vs Optima/Opirus, good. But not cerato against camry. old or new, it is an impossicant!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by koolchicco: 12:55pm On Nov 21, 2009
prince paris:

Who is comparing oranges with apples. Please when making comparison lets be reasonable. Apple for apple, orange for orange, like for like. Cerato vs Yaris, ok. Camry vs Optima/Opirus, good. But not cerato against camry. old or new, it is an impossicant!

Lots of prudence here. Nice one!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by centrica: 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2009
My friend come rain come sun, Toyota cars even as Tokubo are far better than kia cerato the korean car,which i don't think it can stand the test of time, i mean Toyota is far better in terms of durability, cost of maintenance, fuel economy, abilty to withstand stress, Kia may look kia may be a new car, but does it stand the test of time most especially, second hand value which is very important.
Go for Toyota camry.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 3:21pm On Nov 21, 2009
ilosiwaju:

i think many opinions on korean cars are based on hearsays and this fanaticism for japanese cars cos we knew them first. if you will choose on facts and experience, a brand new car is always better than any type/grade of tokunbo. i advise u guys drive some of these kia or hyundai cars, u'll be amazed.

Lol, the above won't apply to me - I'm a German car person, and run an Audi RS4 B5.

I have run a Kia Rio 1,6 years back, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I am used to a certain degree of build quality and comfort, which the Kia did not deliver. It was also plagued with annoying rattles and creaks from the dash area, which the dealership tried unsuccessfuly to rectify, on several visits, to no avail. I couldn't contend with the plasticky feel of the interior.

This car was brand new, with 27 miles upon delivery, yet it was not a nice car to own. As I've stated, I look way beyond the "new factor" when buying a car, it has to feel right, and deliver all I ask for in a car, and more. It's almost like going from a 5-year-old Toyota Camry / Corolla to a brand new Kia. If the Kia's your first car, it'll be just fine, as you have nothing to compare with.

And as for hearsay - I never base opinion on that, I base it on what I've personally experienced as a user, and what comes into the workshop for repairs.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by febirac(m): 6:15pm On Nov 21, 2009
pls, can somebody tell me how much a new KIA CERATO cost?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by koolchicco: 6:20pm On Nov 21, 2009
febirac:

pls, can somebody tell me how much a new KIA CERATO cost?

About N2M. undecided
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by adesteve: 7:54pm On Nov 21, 2009
I really appreciate the objective analysis by most of those that have commented. I used to drive a 2002 Toyota Corolla but for the past 10 months, i have been driving a brand new 2008 Kia Cerato and i have not had any regrets! It has simply been wonderful! Its the economic situation that is making us to be crazy about Tokunbos. A friend mine who drives a 2008 Toyota Corolla drove my car for a few hours and commented "this car makes perfect sense". A tokunbo car SHOULD not/CANNOT be compared to a brand new. Its like comparing sleep and , !
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by akinalabi(m): 8:45pm On Nov 21, 2009
febirac:

pls,  can somebody tell me how much a new KIA CERATO cost?

N2.5m

BlueDiva:

The major problem with Kia are the parts.
Pray not to have any accident, your car may never be the same again.

90% of KIA parts are readily available at their service centre at Apapa Oshodi expressway and at
Germain motors at Lekki Epe express way

Siena:

I have run a Kia Rio 1,6 years back, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. I am used to a certain degree of build quality and comfort, which the Kia did not deliver. It was also plagued with annoying rattles and creaks from the dash area, which the dealership tried unsuccessfuly to rectify, on several visits, to no avail. I couldn't contend with the plasticky feel of the interior.

Well. . . I've used quite a number of fairly used Japanese cars and they werent pleasant experiences.

And from EVERYONE I know that have used both new Korean and fairly used Japanese cars,
they have had more peace of mind with the new Korean cars.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ambyzown(m): 11:49pm On Nov 21, 2009
I have painstakingly read through every post on this thread and now contribute my own 2-pence. I have never owned a Kia or Hyundai motor car, but have taken quite a lot of interest in them. While I must commend the Koreans on the developments in their auto industry, I still believe they are behind their Japanese and European counterparts.
When comparing cars, it is most ideal to select identical models. The OP has picked the Kia Cerato which costs about N2.9m for the top of the range model.
For this amount, I could get a 2007 Toyota corolla full option with less than 40,000km on the odometer. If you are someone who loves to drive and knows anything about automobiles, you'll agree with me that the corolla will offer better all round satisfaction than the cerato (forte in the US).
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Kia hater, but I have keenly observed these vehicles since the Sorento received rave reviews in the US a few years ago. But I have discovered that the cheap price of these cars come at a price, QUALITY!!!
The body is built with very light steel. The bumpers are shoddy, and will not withstand a 10kmph crash. Take a look at most of the 2009 ceratos which are barely six months old, and you will find that their fog lamps are already dull due to water flooding. The plastic protectors of all the Optimas I see around these days are all hanging loose. If Kia could use such poor quality material for the very visible exterior, imagine what they put inside the engine that you can't easily see.
Bottom line, A Kia is cheap simply because it was built with cheap materials, and cheap materials mean, You get my point.
The Koreans haven't reached that point where they can give their Japanese competition a run for their money.
Better soup, na money kill am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 11:58pm On Nov 21, 2009
^^^ Makes perfect sense.

You can't get something for nothing.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by jpphilips(m): 12:03pm On Nov 23, 2009
I really appreciate the objective analysis by most of those that have commented. I used to drive a 2002 Toyota Corolla but for the past 10 months, i have been driving a brand new 2008 Kia Cerato and i have not had any regrets! It has simply been wonderful! Its the economic situation that is making us to be crazy about Tokunbos. A friend mine who drives a 2008 Toyota Corolla drove my car for a few hours and commented "this car makes perfect sense". A tokunbo car SHOULD not/CANNOT be compared to a brand new. Its like comparing sleep and , !

@ Ade

i just think your friend was speaking ironically
unfortunately you cant compare the two
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by elektra80: 2:32pm On Nov 23, 2009
I know the original post was comparing a brand new kia cerrato with used japanese cars. New cars are always better, but to some people that are saying they would choose new cars anyday no matter the make, then look at this. Would u choose a brand new XIng kai suv over a 1999 toyota camry? I bet not, a fried of mine has the xing kai suv and used it for 5 months, now the handle is broken and the seats are terribke already. Also who would choose a brand new cherry car over a 1999 honda accord? My point is that not all new cars are better than thier used conterparts. Kia has come a long way though and they are now making better cars , the trasition will be step by step, Kia can install all the spect found in oyota and honda in their cars but it will only make the cars more expensive, and then nobody would want to buy them because i would rather buy a toyota than buy a kia when the prices are very close. So what i am saying is that kia will have to improve gradually before they can win the heart of nigerians.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by cecegorz(m): 4:46pm On Nov 23, 2009
@ Sienna,

Thanks for your professional advice, Its always better to believe the Doctor's diagnosis/prescription than the soothsayers.

Please what is your advice on a Rebuilt salvage vehicle with an impact from behind. Can it affect Engine performance/chassis balance on the long run?
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by ib612(m): 1:49am On Nov 25, 2009
The costs compared to other things in play, like durability, performance, expected life usage and , of course 9ja road all these would help shapen your decision on what you're getting. If a cerato that has less power, performance, versatility will costs me 2.5m naira and i can buy a 2005 -2006 highlander for the same amount or a 2007 accord or camry, i'll rather go for the later; this is my frank and honest opinion. All these vehicles i mentioned are uni-body system.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 2:43am On Nov 25, 2009
cecegorz:

@ Sienna,

Thanks for your professional advice, Its always better to believe the Doctor's diagnosis/prescription than the soothsayers.

Please what is your advice on a Rebuilt salvage vehicle with an impact from behind. Can it affect Engine performance/chassis balance on the long run?

As long as repaired properly, and the body was checked on a jig (dependent on area of deformation) it will still be a good buy.

No effect on engine performance, but an incorrectly aligned bodyshell will have an adverse effect on tyres, causing premature wear.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by songus: 3:48am On Nov 25, 2009
Apart from the Kia Sportage and the Hyundai Tucson, The Hyundai Motor Company has generally produced succesfull cars. It is interesting to note that we ran down Japanese cars in the 80's while PAN was assembling museum pieces for Nigerian roads. A top of the range Hyundai Sonata is presently sold for 4M in Nigeria and is scaring the hell out of the Camry and EOD in the U.S.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by BTT(m): 5:52am On Nov 25, 2009
i am amazd by our thought pattern! For c.o.l. why prefer a used car to a brand new one. my mr poster, its ok to want advice, but search your heart first. the answer is there.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by indie22(f): 9:48am On Nov 25, 2009
Hey!
If you decide to go for the kia cerato, i can offer you a great deal inclusive of registration and 1 year comprehensive servicing (FREE)!, labour and parts inclusive, pls call cynthia @ kia motors, 07029322474 or 07084911145, cheers!
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Alionye(f): 3:52pm On Nov 25, 2009
My brother, i will tell you what is the real truth.
the truth is that you can never comper a brand new car to a used car, the used car you are to buy is not gonna come with all the feature in it working, no manufactural warranty not even one advantage coming with it, but a brand new KIA will come with all the features working, with 3 years manufactural warranty 15months or 15,000km comprehensive service and maintanace which ever comes first, with no charge, free diagnostic on your car, even train you or your driver on safty in case of an accident and also medical check up for eyes and lot more.
To crown it all, you can trade it in if you are tired of it, pick a new one and pay us the difference.you can also trade in any other brand of vehicle for new one of your choice, so tell your friends about it.
for more enquiries on the trade in issue please call OSEGI JOY on 08064494329 or 07029322469.
TRY AND SEE THAT THE LORD IS GOOD.
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by Nobody: 8:05pm On Jan 13, 2010
Alionye:

My brother, i will tell you what is the real truth.
the truth is that you can never comper a brand new car to a used car, the used car you are to buy is not gonna come with all the feature in it working, no manufactural warranty not even one advantage coming with it.

So, would you expect a brand new Lada 1500 to be a better buy than a 5-year-old Mercdes E320?  You're wrongly assuming an older car will be in bad shape. A brand new Lada is still a cheap car, and will not be anywhere as durable as the 5-year-old Mercedes. Build quality will be light years behind the German car.

And for your information, my 1996 Audi A4 Quattro Sport still has all the features it left the factory with 13 years ago functional. She's covered 222,000 miles, and I would challenge a Kia in the performance or duability stakes. I would also rather be in an European car in the event of a crash, than the tin-box Kia!

As for warranty, manufacturers, Kia included, have ways of wriggling out of warranty issues. We're talking Nigeria, where drivers would rather pay the roadside mechanic to work on their cars. Which sane dealer would then uphold a warranty on such a car?  cheesy
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by otuwe(f): 3:59am On Feb 20, 2010
i only have to say this

my boss bought a Hyundai gets for his wife in 2004 (brand new)

this is 2010, he has never worked on the car, apart from regular services

he has never topped the AC gas

and this is HYUNDAI GETS ooooo

6 whooping years,

and people are still saying Kia and Hyundai are rubbish

how many years do you want to drive your car,

thats my own ooo
Re: Brand New Kia Cerato Vs Used Japanese by RemKen: 2:36am On Mar 05, 2010
Pls let’s stop baseless arguments and try and understand things the right way. I saw a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 ad here for 3.2ml(asking price ooo) and became seriously mad at my boss all again for given me 2009 KIA Spotage last December instead of 2005 Nissan Pathfinder I preferred, there is no basis for comparison at all.
Many of you don’t even know the only good reason to go for KIA over a toks car, it was the reason why my boss insisted i get the KIA. If you are going to be travelling with your car, most especially through Edo/Delta states and East axis, I WILL PLEAD WITH YOU TO BUY NEW KIA whatever so you can drive pass all these yeye police on the road, that is if you cannot afford NEW Toyota/Honda atleast.

I’m looking for a fairly used car to buy now and that’s why I came across this thread but WILL NEVER stop to check anything like KIA even if its N500K and 2008 model, remember, I have a new brand 2009 KIA spotage but would have prefer 2005 Nissan Pathfinder toks.

The car is nice for its price(at the time – 3.15mil) but the stability, power, ruggedness are just NOT there, and most annoying is all PLASTIC interior, in fact, my small knows what comfort is.

I know that if a few PRO KIA cars campaigners will try any of Toyota/Honda of same year with KIA (2009 vs 2009 for example), they will return their KIA and go for DIRECT toks of about 3-4 yrs older.
And note, I don’t need to visit any mechanic if i were to be given my beloved 2005 Nissan Pathfinder than i do with KIA – servicing ONLY for now, i’m a travelling guru becos of my work sa

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Traffic Offences In Nigeria And The Penalties / Is Toyota Matrix A Very Good Car For Guys / What Is An "Idle Relearn Procedure"?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.