Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,632 members, 7,801,822 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (66094 Views)

Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by kettle84(m): 1:40pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:
Nice one but still incomplete, Nyifon, Agatu and Abakpa, all in Benue State are missing from the list

having Igbos living and doing business in Benue doesn't make Benue one of the Igbo states, pls edit
There are ethnic igbo in Benue especially areas close to Enugu state.

5 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Udodiri01: 1:41pm On Dec 28, 2016
MINE IS P-U-N-A-N-I 119 grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
WE ROCK GUESS EVERYBODY IS FROM DE SAME PLACE
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AK6464(m): 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

You are right that there are no indigenous Igbo speaking tribe in Benue state but Igbo settlers doing their businesses. But you got itvwrimg to say that Agatu as a tribe is missing in the list. Agatu ain't a tribe of it's own but a dialect of Idoma language and a local government just like we have Edumoga, Otupka, ochekwu, Otukpo, Adoka, Ugboju, Agila etc. Again, there is no tribes called Abakpa and Nyifon in Benue state. Thanks

Agatu people don't understand idoma, and vice versa, Not that a few words are different. I have Nyifon friends do I now say they don't have a tribe? Like you said there are no Abakpa and Nyifon in the state where I have spent over 30 years of my life
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Eyor1(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
OGONI and IKWERRE all of Rivers state are not there oh, who compiled this trash?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by fizzy94(m): 1:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
8 all the way.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
mine is 103
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by samsard(m): 1:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:
Nice one but still incomplete, Nyifon, Agatu and Abakpa, all in Benue State are missing from the list

having Igbos living and doing business in Benue doesn't make Benue one of the Igbo states, pls edit
Agatu is an Idoma subgroup or a dialect of Idoma.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Opharhe: 1:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
specialaccount:
Ikwerre, kalabari, ogoni etc missing from the list
Ikwerre is classified as a sub-tribe of Igbo. Kalabari is Ijaw. But I think Ogoni is a separate entity.

Igbo and Ijaw(Izon) for Ikwerre and Kalabari are shown there.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Efewestern: 1:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
onosprince:
Proudly Isoko/Urhobo
Na we they run am
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by blezzo95(m): 1:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
no:111 is ekpeye, not epie. #tanx.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 1:54pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:

Agatu people don't understand idoma, and vice versa, Not that a few words are different. I have Nyifon friends do I now say they don't have a tribe? Like you said there are no Abakpa and Nyifon in the state where I have spent over 30 years of my life
My brother, this place we a discussing is where I belong. Agatu is just a name of a district. We have Agatu, Ochekwu, Adoka, Ugboju, Onyagede and Otukpo districts that made up Otukpo local government in the past. The LG is now splited to Otukpo, APA and Ohimini LGAs now. We are regarded as Idoma north. It may interest you to note that, Agatu is known to be the Original Idoma spoken language as it is the only dialect that is complete in semantics. Whoever that tells you that Agatu is different from Idoma does not know it. It's just a dialectal difference but one indivisible tribe. It is just liken to Ekitu Yoruba and Oyo Yoruba, or Enugu Igbo and Abia Igbo. They all one language but different dialects.

2 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AK6464(m): 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

My brother, this place we a discussing is where I belong. Agatu is just a name of a district. We have Agatu, Ochekwu, Adoja, Ugboju, Onyagede and Otukpo districts that made up Otukpo local government in the part. The LG is now splited to Otukpo, APA and Ohimini LGAs now. We are regarded as Idima north. It may I terest you to note that, Agatu is known to be the Original Idoma spoken dialect. Whoever that tells you that Agatu is different from Idoma does not know it. It's just a dialectal difference but one indivisible tribe.

Ok, But I am still waiting for an answer for my Nyifon friends?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
Only came to check if my tribe is there, seen
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AK6464(m): 2:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

My brother, this place we a discussing is where I belong. Agatu is just a name of a district. We have Agatu, Ochekwu, Adoka, Ugboju, Onyagede and Otukpo districts that made up Otukpo local government in the past. The LG is now splited to Otukpo, APA and Ohimini LGAs now. We are regarded as Idoma north. It may interest you to note that, Agatu is known to be the Original Idoma spoken language as it is the only dialect that is complete in semantics. Whoever that tells you that Agatu is different from Idoma does not know it. It's just a dialectal difference but one indivisible tribe. It is just liken to Ekitu Yoruba and Oyo Yoruba, or Enugu Igbo and Abia Igbo. They all one language but different dialects.

https://benuenewsonline./2014/10/16/politics-and-tribalism-in-benue-state-the-brutal-truth-part-1-by-ati-kenneth-kengkeng/
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:

Ok, But I am still waiting for an answer for my Nyifon friends?

There is no place or tribe called Nyifon in Benue too. But there is a sub language of Idoma called Utonkom. There is Igede and Ufia too. These set of languages speak like people from Cross River. Generally, they will tell you they are Idoma when asked elsewhere. Thank you.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by OLUOMO80: 2:04pm On Dec 28, 2016
Mine is 287; Owe. It was reported to be from Kwara but is from Kogi. They were Formerly under Kwara before the creation of Kogi State. There are many other in that category.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Joshuamilarge(m): 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
Urhobo, delta and bayelsa.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:07pm On Dec 28, 2016
Bellfun:

Are you interested in the Throne?...
lmao...interested ke....i'm nt even an orota, it should be senior men like you that should be vying for it o
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by dingbang(m): 2:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
Someone took the pains to compile the list of tribes in Nigeria and nairalanders are busy calling it trash just because their supposed tribe isn't listed. Why not go and do the research urself and include eveeyone's tribe in it

4 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by AK6464(m): 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

There is no place or tribe called Nyifon in Benue too. But there is a sub language of Idoma called Utonkom. There is Igede and Ufia too. These set of languages speak like people from Cross River. Generally, they will tell you they are Idoma when asked elsewhere. Thank you.

I posted a link, the whole world may be wrong except you! Better still use google
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by samsard(m): 2:12pm On Dec 28, 2016
AK6464:

What the hell are you saying? the one you are referring to as Idoma is probably the dialect Idomas call Akpoto. There are agatu people in one village in Otukpo local government that the Indigenous People speak Akpoto, and they understand each other perfectly! (the Agatus are there coz of the Fulani problem. Although I'll agree that some parts are difficult to understand if you spent most of your life in one that sounds extremely different (Like Idoma Eno'ne and Agatu contrast greatly). Only Idomas who've never made contact with other parts that may find it too difficult to understand.
Otukpo people like to tell their selves that they are speaking Idoma while Agatus are speaking Agatu. but I always remind them that they're just speaking Akpoto dialect.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Bellfun(m): 2:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abajosax007:
lmao...interested ke....i'm nt even an orota, it should be senior men like you that should be vying for it o

I'm happy you have a good knowledge of your people!...

Be that as it may, you're equally and eminently qualified to become the Oba...we go break protocol for you!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by rabex123(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
Fulani=dominant
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by samsard(m): 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

Thank you my brother, I believe that is why Otukpo and other non-Agatu and non Apa dialect is called "Akpoto" which I can roughly translate to 'muddled up', or something in the lines of 'corruption'. Which is to say what he regards as the real Idoma is actually considered a corruption of the original Idoma.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by lilreese: 2:16pm On Dec 28, 2016
educative
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by cornel994(m): 2:18pm On Dec 28, 2016
Op Ekoi na clan under Ejagham na

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Stanbeto: 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
I love 9ja!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Andyg: 2:19pm On Dec 28, 2016
Old stuff, need to be edited. Waja is in Gombe not Bauchi
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2016
Bellfun:

I'm happy you have a good knowledge of your people!...

Be that as it may, you're equally and eminently qualified to become the Oba...we go break protocol for you!
abeg no break am o... I'm only hoping that the selection will be peaceful...
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:31pm On Dec 28, 2016
Mistake! !! Pulani/Fulani is all the "36 states" to save your time grin grin grin
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by DeepSight(m): 2:33pm On Dec 28, 2016
KingEbukasBlog:

Are you Igbo ?

No, but what's the relevance?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Bellfun(m): 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abajosax007:
abeg no break am o... I'm only hoping that the selection will be peaceful...

Hahahaa...ok oo.

Seriously, the selection this time should be peaceful! Kabba can't afford the reenactment of past violent events!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / The New Mogadishu / Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.