Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,436 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria (66165 Views)

Meet Wodaabe Men, A Fulani Ethnic Group Who Make-up For Easy Marriage, / List Of The Over 80 Ethnic Groups In Ethiopia / 30 Interesting Facts About Some Nigerian Minority Ethnic Groups (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by siokpe: 6:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
lekahm:

Wch part of benue did u grow? Did you grow up in all the local Govt and you know all d communities.?

Hehehe, Igbos looking for land in Benue? is it in Ogbadibo? are the Igbos in Otukpa, Orokam or Owukpa? Is it Ado? Are there igbos in Igumale, Agila, Utonkon, Ulayi, Ijigban? Dont fool yourself . There are no indigenous Igbos there. We grew up here and know everywhere. Or can you name the Igbo town in Benue? We can only say of Idoma/Igala people in parts of Enugu Ezike in Enugu.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ogwucheveekee(f): 7:05pm On Dec 28, 2016
idoma taraba keh
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:08pm On Dec 28, 2016
WinningSun:
izzi, Ezza, afikpo no dey there.
abi ooo....just as mbaise, Nsukka,Ngwa ,awka and umuahia no dey there
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Efikson1(m): 7:15pm On Dec 28, 2016
patchsk:
Cross River people too much.
40+ languages...

That Na effect of dog meat.
patchsk:
40+ languages...

patchsk:
40+ languages...

your village nko
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 7:21pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Be delivered from land grabbing in Jesus name

Deliver you too. Amen.
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 7:22pm On Dec 28, 2016
siokpe:

Hehehe, Igbos looking for land in Benue? is it in Ogbadibo? are the Igbos in Otukpa, Orokam or Owukpa? Is it Ado? Are there igbos in Igumale, Agila, Utonkon, Ulayi, Ijigban? Dont fool yourself . There are no indigenous Igbos there. We grew up here and know everywhere. Or can you name the Igbo town in Benue? We can only say of Idoma/Igala people in parts of Enugu Ezike in Enugu.

You're not exposed well enough. Umuezekoha people of Benue state spread across 4 LGAs in Benue state. They number up to 1 million people. Look it up.

5 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by DRPMJ(m): 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

There is. In Ikanafun LGA.
U mean Ukanafun?
Please name the village
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 7:23pm On Dec 28, 2016
AjiereTuwo:
This list is wrong where are the igalas of enugu and anambra, and when did Gokana become a different tribe from Ogoni, this heritage bank people must be smoking something

What of the Igbos of Bonny and Opobo? tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

Akpanya people are native Igbos. The people of Akpanya speak Igbo as first language, and not Igala except they travel out of the town. The natives are Igbo Christians but there are many Igbo settlers there who are Muslims who converted to Islam and migrated from other areas to the tow due to religious freedom there.

Also, the people of Eke Avurugo (Afulugo) in Kogi state speak Igbo as first language. The village of Odolu is bilingual in both Igala and Igbo.

Yes, there are native Igbos in Kogi state (in Igalamela and Ibaji LGAs). Let us learn to keep facts straight.

Visit this thread if you need more information: https://www.nairaland.com/3443446/igbo-speaking-communities-kogi-state

The indigenous Akpaya people are migrant from Egume in Dekina LG of Kogi state and are complete Igala and they are true descendants of Atah Ayegba of the blessed memory. The Igbo they speak is as a result of inter marriage and close neighbourhood between them and the Nsuka Igbos. The on the other hand ate descendants of Atiele Omidoko, and are freeborn of Igala. Though, there arr Idoma and Igbo residents of Ete too. Those Idomas know that they migrated from Benue state so also the Igbas as it might interest you to know that Ete is a town in Kogi state and neither Enugu nor Benue. I am from that community and I am an Idoma guy.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 7:25pm On Dec 28, 2016
DRPMJ:

U mean Ukanafun?
Please name the village

Sorry. Ukanafun. The villages are Ohaobu, Mkpukpuagu and Ogbuagu.

2 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by basilo102: 7:28pm On Dec 28, 2016
Ikwerres are very confused people, where do they belong now?

3 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Bellfun(m): 7:29pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

That's cool. What languages do Odolu people speak?

Bigfrancis21...
Dis your question get as e be ooo
We're talking about a clan in kabba....not another town
Odolu na kabba now...so they speak Owe(Okun)!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 7:30pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:
The indigenous Akpaya people are migrant from Egume in Dekina LG of Kogi state and are complete Igala and they are true descendants of Atah Ayegba of the blessed memory. The Igbo they speak is as a result of inter marriage and close neighbourhood between them and the Nsuka Igbos. The on the other hand ate descendants of Atiele Omidoko, and are freeborn of Igala. Though, there arr Idoma and Igbo residents of Ete too. Those Idomas know that they migrated from Benue state so also the Igbas as it might interest you to know that Ete is a town in Kogi state and neither Enugu nor Benue. I am from that community and I am an Idoma guy.

This story about Akpanya paints a different picture from the reality on ground. 95% of Akpanya people are igbo speaking. They are monolingual. No Igala is spoken there except they travel out to the Igala interior. Speaking Igbo language is way more than just inter-marrying Igbos. People just don't throw away their languages like that. The Igbo speakers, I would guess in greater numbers, may either have arrived there first or arrived later and displaced the original settlers. Either way, the people are igbo-speaking. You can't classify them as Igalas.

4 Likes

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by gly2ken: 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2016
I am closing my account with Heritage Bank, why will they not include Ika language. Ika is a major language in Delta State. Present governor of Delta Ifeanyi OKowa is an Ika man.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by greatjoey: 7:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

This story about Akpanya paints a different picture from the reality on ground. 95% of Akpanya people are igbo speaking. They are monolingual. No Igala is spoken there except they travel out to the Igala interior. Speaking Igbo language is way more than just inter-marrying Igbos. People just don't throw away their languages like that. The Igbo speakers, I would guess in greater numbers, may either have arrived there first or arrived later and displaced the original settlers. Either way, the people are igbo-speaking. You can't classify them as Igalas.
To convince you who are the original owners of Akpanya, find out the traditional ruler there to know if he is Igbo or Igala. Igala rules Akpanya. Let me give you instance, if you have visited Badagry in Lagos before you would assume that it is a Yoruba land. But it is owned by the Egwu people. Some of them do not even understand Egwu language anymore. But all of them speak Yoruba language. Would you say they are Yiruba by origin? They still remain Egwu by tribe but predominantly speak Yoruba language. If you have come a Ross Kogi history and documentary, igbos are all settlers sir. The Akpanyas are descendants of Ayegba via Akogwu.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ianSweet(f): 7:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
SUREPA:
Nice one guy!

Cross River state have the highest ethnic groups in Nigeria.
''Quote me any day''.

Taraba is officially the highest with about 70 ethnic groups.
Cross River has just about 50 ethnic groups. Plateau, Kaduna, Bauchi and Adamawa each have over 50 ethnic groups too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by ChinenyeN(m): 8:17pm On Dec 28, 2016
This list is not complete. Where is Ngwa?

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 8:29pm On Dec 28, 2016
greatjoey:

To convince you who are the original owners of Akpanya, find out the traditional ruler there to know if he is Igbo or Igala. Igala rules Akpanya. Let me give you instance, if you have visited Badagry in Lagos before you would assume that it is a Yoruba land. But it is owned by the Egwu people. Some of them do not even understand Egwu language anymore. But all of them speak Yoruba language. Would you say they are Yiruba by origin? They still remain Egwu by tribe but predominantly speak Yoruba language. If you have come a Ross Kogi history and documentary, igbos are all settlers sir. The Akpanyas are descendants of Ayegba via Akogwu.

I get your point. Though being ruled by an Igala king does not necessarily point to Igala origins of the people there. It is on record that in the past, the Atta of Igala aggressively sought to expand his kingdom by conquering clans (I use clans here because back then identities such as 'igbo', 'igala', etc. were frail and all that existed were dialects spoken) south to him down to Nsukka (Igbo North). The Igalas aggressively ventured out of their lands. In some places, they installed their atta to rule over the people. They were travellers. Many settled within the natives in their newfound lands, taking wives from these areas and their children growing up to speak the language of their mothers and their grandchildren and so on and so forth. Some Igalas ventured into Igboland. For example, in Nsukka land, the Igalas succeeded in displacing the native chief priest and installing their attama to mediate between the gods and Nsukka people as a way of subjugating or gradually controlling the people. The Atta sought to conquer Nsukka land but the Nsukkas effectively resisted such that the one main legacy left behind by the Atta confederacy over Nsukka is the Attama chief priesthood. Till today, chief priest in Nsukka is still known as 'attama'. The Akus of Nsukka resisted Igala-led wars into their lands, winning them at lake 'omeluIgala' (meaning winning the Igala), the lake which was named after the victory of the Akus over Igala.

My theory would be that maybe an Igala warrior invaded Akpanya, as they are wont to do, where they met Igbo-speaking natives, later on installed an atta there, took wives from the people however their next generations till today spoke their mother's language instead of Igala. It would be worthy to note that, if this theory is true, only the immediate direct family of this Igala warrior are paternally Igala by ancestry. The overwhelming majority would still be Igbos by blood ruled over an Igala atta who has significant Igbo maternal ancestry.

That of the Egun/Ogu is slightly different. The people complain of discrimination by the Yorubas, who look down on Ogu. Many of them, in their effort to integrate, try to speak Yoruba language instead so as overcome the discrimination. This is the main reason for their speaking Yoruba, and it is not mainly by marriage to Yoruba women. This cannot be said to be for the case of Akpanya. The Akpanya people are not said to have faced some sort of discrimination from Igbos to compel them to speak Igbo instead. Also, marrying of Igbo women should not suddenly change their language, especially if these people were in 'Igala land'. Instead they should have compelled their Igbo wives to speak Igala as it is in most African societies. Igbo women are known to effectively adapt into their husband's places, thus the inter-marriage reason you gave would not really be in effect here.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by demiladegold(f): 8:36pm On Dec 28, 2016
Smellymouth:

Cutie..

Sup with you hun?

Biko Send me your new number..Been tryna reach you.

Same number... my phone got stolen again but I've gotten a new one
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by FisifunKododada: 8:36pm On Dec 28, 2016
bigfrancis21:

They are Igbos now. tongue

cheesy how does a Yoruba group become Ibo? Is it the same way all the Ibo groups outside the SE became Ikwerre, Igala, Idoma etc.? cheesy

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by demiladegold(f): 8:39pm On Dec 28, 2016
Bellfun:
Owe(kabba)... Formerly in Kwara state....now in kogi state...

Yes that's us Okun oooo

Okun

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by demiladegold(f): 8:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abajosax007:
okun o... Are you fluent in the language?, i'm from kabba town (oke meta)

I'm from Ijumu o..... I'm famzing(not an actual word) my okun siblings
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by lyricalz: 8:52pm On Dec 28, 2016
Crap, misleading list.
Only where is okpe in delta? Auchi in edo?, ilaje in ondo ogbesa in edo?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by bigfrancis21: 8:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
FisifunKododada:

cheesy how does a Yoruba group become Ibo? Is it the same way all the Ibo groups outside the SE became Ikwerre, Igala, Idoma etc.? cheesy

They speak Igbo and bear Igbo names now. Actively engage in Anioma Igbo activities and are called Odiani instead of Ilukwobi. tongue
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by giles14(m): 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2016
DRPMJ:
No Igbo in Akwa Ibom
http://www.nationalhelm.net/2016/12/gov-ben-ayade-hails-first-indigenous.html
engr MBA MBA eru.is from where pls
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by JoshuaPleasy(m): 9:01pm On Dec 28, 2016
Nnamdd1:
A Comprehensive list of all the 371 Ethnic Groups in Nigeria.

Mine is 165, What is Yours?

Source: http://www.naijahelm.com/2016/12/complete-list-of-all-371-ethnic-groups-in-nigeria.html

Mine is 41 Bassa

who say make 9ja no divide ....hw can der b peace...371?
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Bellfun(m): 9:24pm On Dec 28, 2016
demiladegold:

Okun

Okun oo
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by BAMSRAY(m): 9:27pm On Dec 28, 2016
it cant be possible self .we have 774 local govt soo how comes ethnc group hav 371.....incomplete
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by Noneroone(m): 9:43pm On Dec 28, 2016
siokpe:

there are Igbos in Benue Mr thomas. I served with one and comfirmed it. Do you know steve crown the Gospel singer?
His name actually is steve crown Okolo and his website says he is from Benue state. Pls stop playing the ostrich.

1 Like

Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by loshybab(m): 10:03pm On Dec 28, 2016
Nnamdd1:
A Comprehensive list of all the 371 Ethnic Groups in Nigeria.

Mine is 165, What is Yours?

Source: http://www.naijahelm.com/2016/12/complete-list-of-all-371-ethnic-groups-in-nigeria.html
nice one but still faulty

Kaka (191) and kambu (194) are found in SADAUNA LGA OF TARABA STATE (together with mambilla,panso et al)AND NOT ADAMAWA!
Re: List Of 371 Ethnic Groups In Nigeria by loshybab(m): 10:06pm On Dec 28, 2016
Noneroone:
there are Igbos in Benue Mr thomas. I served with one and comfirmed it. Do you know steve crown the Gospel singer?
His name actually is steve crown Okolo and his website says he is from Benue state. Pls stop playing the ostrich.
na u dey play peacock for here...THERE ARE NO INDIGENOUS IGBO IN BENUE STATE, D CORPER THAT CLAIM TO BE ONE IS A PRODUCT OF ONE OF THE SETTLERS

GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT SIR!

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Rift Between African-Americans And Recent African Immigrants To The US / The New Mogadishu / Osun -- State Of The Living Spring! Identify Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.