Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:25 PM

Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting (26153 Views)

Enugu Govt. Begins Distribution Of Cashew Seedlings To Farmers / Yam Cultivation Investment / Continuation...yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 8:26am On Dec 28, 2016
Updates coming soon
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by missioner(m): 8:33am On Dec 28, 2016
k
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:25pm On Dec 29, 2016
Yes o my people am back, this thread is for those who persevere and want bumper yam harvest 2017,
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:35pm On Dec 29, 2016
Part of my yam seedlings I am going to plant around late April or early may in Abuja. If u look closely u will notice I used ashes in preserving my seedlings , the head or top of my yams are always cut out neatly and rub with ashes to prevent them from decaying easily until the next planting season.

The second picture is whole seed yam I.e these ones are just the way they are brought from the farm and have not been cut, I didn't rub these with ashes cus they are not cut, but during planting I will cut them rub with ashes before planting them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
Honestly my last harvest was a bumper so i decided to share with those interested on how I did it

This thread is going to last for one year as I will be updating step by step

3 Likes

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:41pm On Dec 29, 2016
A lot of techniques and strategies will be revealed on how to have a bumper and also experience 90 to 95 % growth during sprouting of the yam vines

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
I plan to make about 600 to 1000 heaps next year, o don't sell is solely for family consumption
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 12:51pm On Dec 29, 2016
This is the land I harvested from last year, I am going to expand on it this year

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by born2wyn(f): 4:35pm On Dec 29, 2016
God bless you bro,am following you bumper to bumper

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 6:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
Thanks my bro, I need your encouragement to help us

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Johnred: 7:08pm On Dec 29, 2016
Following your thread for learning as I am cultivating acres of land for yam this year

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 7:18am On Dec 30, 2016
Welcome my brother, I hope you gain something
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Japlo: 2:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
Well done,

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by SoftP(m): 3:43am On Feb 28, 2017
Following" extend to WhatsApp pls

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by d4guy: 2:24pm On Mar 03, 2017
What's the best time of the year to plant yam?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Johnred: 8:04pm On Mar 03, 2017
Planting of yams is between December and February depending on location

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by bizzibodi(m): 10:03pm On Mar 03, 2017
are u going to plant that big yam whole?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 2:00pm On Mar 17, 2017
My brother the best time to plant yam is when you start having regular rain fall like ones or twice a week

It also depends on your location, like for me I farm in Abuja, so from my little research I will start planting from late April and early may

People who planted around December had to use enough mulching to ensure the seedlings don't burn, but they still experience lost as a result of delayed rainfall which is beyond their control

I have also come to realise that in terms of size of the yam, during harvest, there is no significant difference between who plant late and who planted early infanct those that plant late gain more

3 Likes

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 2:05pm On Mar 17, 2017
[quote author=bizzibodi post=54248386]are u going to plant that big yam whole?[/

Those big yam are still going to be splitted into three sets or part, why I did not cut them into sets now is to reduce rotten seedlings, so when I want to play I will cut them and immediately rub them with ashes before putting them inside the heaps
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by jadajada: 3:24pm On Mar 17, 2017
What's the maturity period for yam?
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 3:40am On Mar 18, 2017
Between 5 to 7. Months

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by rightchic(f): 7:32am On Mar 18, 2017
Following
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Gadgetmobil(m): 4:10pm On Mar 18, 2017
Logged in
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Munzy14(m): 8:16pm On Mar 18, 2017
following
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by mrinsurer: 9:21pm On Mar 18, 2017
Plz how can i get yam seedlings in Lagos?I need 1,000 seeds.
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Johnred: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2017
Do you want seedlings or you don't mind full size yam cut into seedlings

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by rabzy: 9:17am On Mar 19, 2017
Imoala:
Part of my yam seedlings I am going to plant around late April or early may in Abuja. If u look closely u will notice I used ashes in preserving my seedlings , the head or top of my yams are always cut out neatly and rub with ashes to prevent them from decaying easily until the next planting season.

The second picture is whole seed yam I.e these ones are just the way they are brought from the farm and have not been cut, I didn't rub these with ashes cus they are not cut, but during planting I will cut them rub with ashes before planting them

These minisets are a bit big, I think you can still reduce the size and get more seed yams
Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by kingralph(m): 1:33pm On Mar 19, 2017
Everyone please I want to know how much yam seedlings cost. Let's say per acre how many seedlings can be planted

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by olushollys(m): 9:20pm On Mar 19, 2017
Good days, im in abeokuta. Can i plant yam in april and how can i get the seed(lings) and how much of it would i need for one plot and the cost. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by Imoala: 1:24pm On Mar 21, 2017
My people you must not plant seedlings, you can buy yam tubers and diced them for planting. And the process is simple

2 Likes

Re: Yam Cultivation From Seedlings To Planting And Harvesting by olushollys(m): 5:27pm On Mar 21, 2017
Good pls explain the process
Imoala:
My people you must not plant seedlings, you can buy yam tubers and diced them for planting. And the process is simple

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Plant 24,000 Seeds Of Cucumber On A 3plot Of Land And Make Millions / Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Watermelon Business Secret(The fruit can make you rich within 75-80days)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.