Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,425 members, 7,800,927 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:05 AM

Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature (34796 Views)

See The Real Meaning Of The Logo Of Mercedes Benz! / Types Of Rims In Cars, Their Uses And How They Work / Cars-their Names,meaning And Nomenclature-part II (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by AutoJoshNG: 1:34pm On Dec 28, 2016
sadEver wondered how the names , of cars were chosen .All those abbreviations you just don’t seem to understand like BMW(Be My Wife ).Its time to know the truth.I would be taking the veil of ignorance off your faces

1. Alfa Romeo
Formerly known as ALFA(Anonima Lombarda Fabbrica Automobili).The name changed when Nicola Romeo bought the company 1915.

2.Aston Martin
The name was coined from the founder’s name Lionel Martin,and the “Aston Hill” races (near Aston Clinton) where the company was founded.

3.Audi
The founder’s name is August Horch, so he formed the name of the company from the Latin translation of his German name “Horch”.Long story short Horch (German)=Audi(Latin).

4.BMW
Nope its not “Be My Wife”.Its Bayerische Motoren Werke (Bavarian Motor Works).

5.Cadillac
Now owned by General Motors(they bought the original company in 1909).It was named after the 18th century French explorer Antoine Laumet de La Mothe, sieur de Cadillac, founder of Detroit, Michigan.Cadillac is a small town in the south of France.The original Cadillac company was founded in 1902.

6.Chevrolet
It was named after an auto racer and he was also a co-founder of the company,Louis Chevrolet(he is Swiss born).In 1917 General Motors acquired the original company.

7.Chrysler
The founder of the company stole the show here his name; Walter P. Chrysler .

8. Citroën
Not a very popular brand here in Nigeria.Its named after André-Gustave Citroën. He was born in 1878 and died in 1935.He was a French entrepreneur of Dutch descent. He was the fifth and last child of the Dutch Jewish diamond merchant Levie Citroën and Mazra Kleinmann of Warsaw,Poland.

9. Daewoo
The founder Kim Woo Chong named it “Daewoo”,which means “great house” or”great universe” in Korean.

10. Datsun
Originally called DAT.Coined from the initials of the financiers of the company Den, Aoyama and Takeuchi.After a while it was changed to DATSON to indicate a smaller version of their product (“son ” in Japanese can sometimes be translated as “loss” ).Its was later changed to DATSUN when Nissan acquired the company.What an evolution !!.

https://autojosh.com/cars-their-names-meaning-and-nomenclature/

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Sleekydee(m): 2:26pm On Dec 28, 2016
tell me more, BMW is Be My Wife joooor

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Ishilove: 3:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
What of Volkswagen (pronounced Folksvagin)?

2 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by naptu2: 3:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
Ishilove:
What of Volkswagen (pronounced Folksvagin)?

Volks = Folks

Wagen = Wagon

Basically, a car for the folks. Hitler's idea was that the Beetle should be so cheap that peasant folks should be able to afford it.

32 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Ishilove: 3:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
naptu2:

Volks = Folks

Wagen = Wagon

Basically, a car for the folks. Hitler's idea was that the Beetle should be so cheap that peasant folks should be able to afford it.
You're so smart

9 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by naptu2: 4:02pm On Dec 28, 2016
AutoJoshNG:
8. Citroën
Not a very popular brand here in Nigeria.Its named after André-Gustave Citroën. He was born in 1878 and died in 1935.He was a French entrepreneur of Dutch descent. He was the fifth and last child of the Dutch Jewish diamond merchant Levie Citroën and Mazra Kleinmann of Warsaw,Poland.

https://autojosh.com/cars-their-names-meaning-and-nomenclature/

Cc
Lalasticlala
Mynd44
Ishilove
Marpol
Semid4lyfe
Obinoscopy

The Citroën DS (shown below) was very popular in Nigeria in the 1970s. The sedan, the coupe and the convertible were very popular. Nigerians were crazy about its hydropneumatic suspension system which enabled you to raise and lower the car. The headlights could also swivel

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:22pm On Dec 28, 2016
Mercedes Benz _ I read it somewhere or I was told (can't remember which angry) , long-time ago that it was named after the daughter of Karl Benz.

I would name my daughter Mercedes, the name has been ministering to me. smiley

14 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:44pm On Dec 28, 2016
...and also, JEEP is a brand, not a design of vehicle. The design of vehicle called JEEP, is actually called, SUV, Sport Utility.

Me sef minister something na.

7 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by ednut1(m): 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2016
every SUV/ATV in 9ja na jeep

3 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:45pm On Dec 28, 2016
Wow. What of Dino Melaye's Royce rolls?

Wetin we go call that one.
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by muller101(m): 4:46pm On Dec 28, 2016
BMW. Broke my wallet. AUDI. Automobile under demonic influence. FIAT. Failed italian automotive technology. VOLVO. Very old looking vehicular object. GMC. Get mechanic crazy. FORD. Fails on rainy day. TOYOTA. The one you ought to avoid. DODGE. Daily overhaul do get expensive JEEP. Junk engineering executed poorly.

44 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Inception(m): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
PaperLace:
Mercedes Benz _ I read it somewhere or I was told (can't remember which angry) , long-time ago that it was named after the daughter of Karl Benz.

It was named after the Daughter of Emil Jellinek, a rich Austrian businessman, who at the time ordered 36 units of Karl Benz's 'horseless carriage' at the time. Because of this move, he was given the honour of naming the vehicles whatever name he deemed fit. He named it after his 10 year old daughter(at the time), Mercedes. The car (Mercedes) was then launched in 1901 and was developed by Wilhelm Maybach.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by ultimate73(m): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
what about tortoise car
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Olachase(m): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
admin he be like say you don chop plastic rice grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by ENGINEous(m): 4:47pm On Dec 28, 2016
IVM- Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing

Is a Nigerian automobile and bus manufacturing company.

It was Founded by Innocent CHUKWUMA.

46 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Abujaexpress: 4:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
What of Nissan?
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by adewumiopeyemi(m): 4:48pm On Dec 28, 2016
wat of picanto cheesy cheesy cheesy pls dont forget to check my signature pls... cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Alao96(m): 4:49pm On Dec 28, 2016
ejoo o...what of beatle ejoo o...what of beatle
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by hahn(m): 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
PaperLace:

Name your daughter Keke Marwa instead tongue

2 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Temitoppe(m): 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
I thought BMW had something to do with Bob Marley and the wailers....

2 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Afam4eva(m): 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
INNOSON: named after the founder, Innocent Chukwuma who used a part of hist first name and added "son" to it to become Innoson grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Ishilove: 4:50pm On Dec 28, 2016
muller101:
BMW. Broke my wallet. AUDI. Automobile under demonic influence. FIAT. Failed italian automotive technology. VOLVO. Very old looking vehicular object. GMC. Get mechanic crazy. FORD. Fails on rainy day. TOYOTA. The one you ought to avoid.
Wikkid grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by iamphotoshoot(m): 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
smiley
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 28, 2016
PaperLace:

Hmm, Chineke. Mercedes ko ministery ni
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by passyhansome(m): 4:52pm On Dec 28, 2016
O P what about DANFO

1 Like

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by FILEBE(m): 4:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
what about IVM?
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:53pm On Dec 28, 2016
Abujaexpress:
What of Nissan?

Wikipedia has the answer...

In 1928, Yoshisuke Aikawa founded the holding company Nihon Sangyo (Japan Industries or Nihon Industries). [i]The name 'Nissan' originated during the 1930s as an abbreviation used on the Tokyo Stock Exchange for Nihon Sangyo. [/i]This company was the famous Nissan "Zaibatsu" which included Tobata Casting and Hitachi. At this time Nissan controlled foundries and auto parts businesses, but Aikawa did not enter automobile manufacturing until 1933.[17]

The zaibatsu eventually grew to include 74 firms, and became the fourth-largest in Japan during World War II.[18]

In 1931, DAT Jidosha Seizo became affiliated with Tobata Casting, and was merged into Tobata Casting in 1933. As Tobata Casting was a Nissan company, this was the beginning of Nissan's automobile manufacturing
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Goahead(m): 4:54pm On Dec 28, 2016
Innoson motors:- A Nigerian automobile maker whose name was derived from the founder and CEO, Dr. Innocent Chukwuma.

2 Likes

Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Promise111(m): 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
How about innosson smiley wink cheesy
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Daraautotech: 4:56pm On Dec 28, 2016
For hybrid cars
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by Nobody: 4:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
FILEBE:
what about IVM?

Innoson Vehicle Manufacturing ....IVM, the vehichle manufacturing division of Innoson's group of companies.
Re: Cars: Their Names, Meaning And Nomenclature by ashewoboy(m): 4:57pm On Dec 28, 2016
PaperLace:

sheeee you don get belle ni?

(1) (2) (Reply)

The New Bugatti EB110 SS That Costs 4.8 Billion Naira / See The Moment Camels Spotted A Rolls Royce. Respect! / Bentley Bentayga Mulliner: A Luxury SUV With A Class

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.