Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,218 members, 7,807,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:19 PM

Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison (22053 Views)

Gabriel Suswam Laughing As DSS Releases Him From Prison (Photos) / Olusegun Obasanjo Shortly After His Release From Prison (throwback) / Military Did Not Release Awolowo/ dasuki/ooni-ife,why sonekan was removed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by BudeYahooCom: 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
CltrAltDel:
[s]

“’It was my fortune and I thank God that it was me that had the opportunity to release Papa from prison from Calabar to Lagos and certainly to be able to help us have peace in the West at that time and then we came,” Mr. Gowon recalled.
http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/191679-why-i-released-awolowo-from-prison-gowon.html[/s]

Gowon also claimed there was no genocide but the rest of world know otherwise.

We know you would have preferred we listen to Gowon's megalomaniac brag and disregard International record-keepers and historians unfortunately our brains are not 50% Ewedu and 50% Amala. We'll keep referring to international unbiased journals and texts which maintains that Emeka Ojukwu released your lord Awo from prison after been locked by hausas. LWKMD

1 Like

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Develpeast: 2:12pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
That is not relevant. Was Ojukwu the comptroller of prisons?
Was he the Head of the Army in Enugu ?

No he was not.
Between July 29 And August 1 when Gowon made his announcements and there were killings in Ibadan ,,Abeokuta and so on.Who was in charge of the Military in Enugu and what did they do
The commander of the Enugu based 1st battalion, Lt-Col David Ogunewe. On learning of the mass murder taking place in other military formations in the country, Lt-Col Ogunewe locked his battalion’s armoury and placed it under the joint guard of northern and southern officers. He also encouraged northern and southern soldiers to live together in the mess and grounds of the battalion

Ojukwu was not at that time in control of Enugu .To pretend he had any say over prisons in Calabar is a perverse joke.
Shehu Musa Yar'adua was adjutant in Enugu and his role allegedly was to kill Ojukwu. Eventually Ojukwu negotiated repatriation of Northern Soldiers but he was most likely in hiding by the time Awolowo was released

More conjectures to make it look like you were right. To be frank, you just played around the question.

Did ojukwu recognise gowon as the head of state at the time of release?

2 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by T9ksy(m): 2:13pm On Dec 29, 2016
Aigbofa:

You are teaching logic to people who tried to fight armored tanks with cudgels.

lol....abi o jare!!! All 'cause someone promised them that the grass of Biafra will assist them in their "chicken run".

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:14pm On Dec 29, 2016
The reason the armory had to be locked was simple. The majority of riflemen in Enugu at the time were northern and if they had access to the armory there would have been only one,terrible,outcome for Ojukwu

6 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by CltrAltDel: 2:16pm On Dec 29, 2016
BudeYahooCom:

[s]

Gowon also claimed there was no genocide but the rest of world know otherwise.

We know you would have preferred we listen to Gowon's megalomaniac brag and disregard International record-keepers and historians unfortunately our brains are not 50% Ewedu and 50% Amala. We'll keep referring to international unbiased journals and texts which maintains that Emeka Ojukwu released your lord Awo from prison after been locked by hausas. LWKMD

[/s]

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:19pm On Dec 29, 2016
Develpeast:

More conjectures to make it look like you were right. To be frank, you just played around the question.

Did ojukwu recognise gowon as the head of state at the time of release?
His recognition was not material . Whether he recognized or not he did not have a say, authority or power. It is like asking whether the goat recognizes Aboki as its owner

That is something that is only in Ojukwu's head.We can only go by his word and pronouncements I,e the first time that he pronounced publicly that he did not recognize Gowon.By that time Awolowo had long been released
What is more important is whether the Prison officers recognized Gowon and whether they obeyed him The answer is yes both times

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Develpeast: 2:24pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
His recognition was not material . Whether he recognized or not he did not have a say, authority or power. It is like asking whether the goat recognizes Aboki as its owner

That is something that is only in Ojukwu's head.We can only go by his word and pronouncements I,e the first time that he pronounced publicly that he did not recognize Gowon.By that time Awolowo had long been released
What is more important is whether the Prison officers recognized Gowon and whether they obeyed him The answer is yes both times

Very wrong comparism, Mr.

You have failed again.

Now, lets go further, can you explain in clear terms the mode of governance in regions.

Can you list things that will happen in a region in 1966 that will not need the approval of the regional governor?

Can you also list personnel or workers not under the approval of the regional governors. with proof please.

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:24pm On Dec 29, 2016
Ojukwu was in hiding surrounded by MOBILE POLICE

by the time he reemerged things had settled and Gowon was in charge and Awo was at home

Ask yourself if Ojukwu was fully in charge why did he not immediately have soldiers protecting him?

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:26pm On Dec 29, 2016
Develpeast:

Very wrong comparism, Mr.

You have failed again.

Now, lets go further, can you explain in clear terms the mode of governance in regions.

Can you list things that will happen in a region in 1966 that will not need the approval of the regional governor?
People generally copulated and defecated without consulting the Governor.That was quite normal.

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:28pm On Dec 29, 2016
Anyway From July 29 Ojukwu ran away for a few days.1970 was not the first time apparently.

It was left to Ogunewe to hold the fort and pacify the Northern officers for the first few days.
Ojukwu was AWOL

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Nobody: 2:30pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:

People generally copulated and defecated without consulting the Governor.That was quite normal.

Lmao......I would have eaten my amala and ewedu as well without consulting the governor.

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:34pm On Dec 29, 2016
Who were the Non Easterner in the the Enugu first Batalion on 29 July ?
Let us name a few The Black Scorpion Benjamin Adekunle,Shehu Musa Yar'adua , Jalo among others,. Ogunewe pleaded with Gowon to sanction the repatriation of these officers back to Lagos by Train via Kaduna.

While all this was happening Ojukwu was HIDING under the bed for several days

8 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 2:35pm On Dec 29, 2016
Aigbofa:

Lmao......I would have eaten my amala and ewedu as well without consulting the governor.
Noo! that sort of activity would require gubernatorial sanction especial if gbegiri was involved

5 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Deathslater: 2:40pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:
Anyway From July 29 Ojukwu ran away for a few days.1970 was not the first time apparently.

It was left to Ogunewe to hold the fort and pacify the Northern officers for the first few days.
Ojukwu was AWOL
Why are you lying to yourself? Of course we all know that Ojukwu was the one that released AWOLO from prison, if not for Ojukwu that released him, AWOLO would have died in prison like a common criminal that he was. Go and look for another lie to tell. History revisionist!

2 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by dudebuck: 2:42pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:

Ojukwu was AWOL
yes he ran away, and that is what we Yoruba Muslims were thought on the pages of newspapers, instead of learning our true history from schools like kids in other climes.

FYI ojukwu wanted to meet Houphouet boigni of CIV in person, but he was so occupied that ojukwu had to go to CIV, but on getting there, boigni went on a mission to Cameroon, so he had to wait, so after wasting much time, waiting for his host, the great number 2 man had signed the surrender papers, it was more of lack of communication that led to that decision, BTW how has Nigeria fared? any better, your guess is as good as mine

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Nobody: 2:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
dudebuck:
yes he ran away, and that is what we Yoruba Muslims were thought on the pages of newspapers, instead of learning our true history from schools like kids in other climes.

FYI ojukwu wanted to meet Houphouet boigni of CIV in person, but he was so occupied that ojukwu had to go to CIV, but on getting there, boigni went on a mission to Cameroon, so he had to wait, so after wasting much time, waiting for his host, the great number 2 man had signed the surrender papers, it was more of lack of communication that led to that decision, BTW how has Nigeria fared? any better, your guess is as good as mine

Your lame attempt at impersonation is quite amusing. Anyway, below is an excerpt from Effiong's statement after Ojukwu left.

"I am convinced that the suffering of our people must be brought to an immediate end. Our people are now disillusioned, and those elements of the old government regime who have made negotiations and reconciliation impossible have voluntarily removed themselves from our midst."

Was he lying? Pay attention to the word "voluntarily" he wasn't forced, there was no coup, he ran away.

7 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 3:25pm On Dec 29, 2016
People are asking whether a man who was supposed to be a soldier that ran away to hide in a police station recognized Gowon as Head of State. We are asked to believe that whilst in hiding he had enough presence of mind to remember Awolowo, order his immediate release and dispatch to Lagos

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by pentlumpro(f): 3:31pm On Dec 29, 2016
dudebuck:

Truth

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by drnoel: 3:38pm On Dec 29, 2016
zendy:
If Awolowo was released on the 3rd of August 1966, it actually supports the belief that Awolowo was released by Ojukwu.

Even though Ironsi was overthrown on the 29th of July, no one was really incharge of Nigeria for the next few days.

The first time Nigerians knew that Gowon had taken over was when he made his first announcement on the 4th of August 1966. So there is no way Gowon could have released Awolowo. For Gowon to have released Awolowo, he would have been in a position of authority for much longer.

The only person in a position of authority to have released Awolowo on the 3rd of August was Ojukwu

U forget Ojukwo and the government of Nigeria had a secure line through which they could discuss issues directly? They could have talked and Ojukwo given the directive to do the releasing.
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by MayorofLagos(m): 3:45pm On Dec 29, 2016
As always, Good job to Oduduwa pikins!!

If we had been doing this a long time ago when it was typical of Ibo to spin bs on internet their delusion would have been healed long ago and we would be spared this trouble.

Ibo is just not the type to look other way and dismiss when it comes to fabricating lies and embellishing truths. We must shut down their voice immediately we get the message. They are in village at moment undergoing indoctrination,they will return with fresh sheets of lies. We should be prepared to shut Ibo voice.

Indeed we should stand viewing them and treating them as a minority group.

8 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by KingsleyJohn: 4:01pm On Dec 29, 2016
I have read your argument @op, its interesting how you are working hard to convince us that Gowon released Awolowo.

Let's look at it carefully.

Why would Gowon order the release of Awolowo and not order the arrest of Ojukwu in the east. You claim Adekunle, Jalo, Shehu Yaradua were all there in the east and the riffle men were northerners. So if Gowon could order Awolowo's release then he could have ordered Ojukwu arrest too. You claim Ojukwu was hiding and guarding himself with 'mobile police' then the army which you claim was loyal to Gowon could not arrest someone guarded by 'mobile police'?

The truth is at that point Ojukwu needed Awolowo to pull the West out of Nigeria that is why he released him while Gowon needed a united West in order to be able to fight the East that is why he allowed Awolowo enjoy his freedom. The only Advantage Gowon had was that federal troops were stationed in Lagos and Awolowo and the West has no standing army, Awolowo couldn't say no to Gowon and so had to betray Ojukwu.

Stop trying to twist facts.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Deathslater: 4:04pm On Dec 29, 2016
MayorofLagos:
As always, Good job to Oduduwa pikins!!

If we had been doing this a long time ago when it was typical of Ibo to spin bs on internet their delusion would have been healed long ago and we would be spared this trouble.

Ibo is just not the type to look other way and dismiss when it comes to fabricating lies and embellishing truths. We must shut down their voice immediately we get the message. They are in village at moment undergoing indoctrination,they will return with fresh sheets of lies. We should be prepared to shut Ibo voice.

Indeed we should stand viewing them and treating them as a minority group.
Your comment is full of emotional rants, I don't see how you are dealing with the Igbo, just the other way around Igbo are the ones whooping your flat assess.

4 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Nobody: 4:15pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingsleyJohn:
I have read your argument @op, its interesting how you are working hard to convince us that Gowon released Awolowo.

Why would Gowon order the release of Awolowo and not order the arrest of Ojukwu in the east. You claim Adekunle, Jalo, Shehu Yaradua were all there in the east and the riffle men were northerners. So if Gowon could order Awolowo's release then he could have ordered Ojukwu arrest too. You claim Ojukwu was hiding and guarding himself with 'mobile police' then the army which you claim was loyal to Gowon could not arrest someone guarded by 'mobile police'?

The truth is at that point Ojukwu needed Awolowo to pull the West out of Nigeria that is why he released him while Gowon needed a united West in order to be able to fight the East that is why he allowed Awolowo enjoy his freedom. The only Advantage Gowon had was that federal troops were stationed in Lagos and Awolowo and the West has no standing army, Awolowo couldn't say no to Gowon and so had to betray Ojukwu.

Ojukwu a colonel in the army needed Obafemi Awolowo a civilian without a single day of military training to pull the west out of Nigeria? Was Ojukwu really that stupid?

Regarding who released Awo, there are probably documents in the national archives to settle the matter.
Ojukwu deliberately kept quiet about his fabricated war time heroics to fuel this type of distortion.

Gowon came out to categorically proclaim that he released Awo, Ojukwu never mentioned anything, not even the meeting where Awolowo tried to dissuade him from going to war.

6 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 4:36pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingsleyJohn:

There is no logical connection between release of Awo and arrest of Ojukwu.
You folk DELIBERATELY IGNORE FACTS

Gowon came into office on August 1 and signed Awo's release order THE NEXT DAY AUGUST 2 so please tell the world exactly why he should want to arrest OJUKWU at that time? What offence had Ojukwu committed at THAT POINT IN TIME to warrant arrest

I do not think you know the history at all

The people Ojukwu was hiding from were potential mutineers having heard what happened in Lagos. They were coup plotters.

Gowon was not a coup plotter just like Ironsi was not part of Nzeogwu's coup

While Ojukwu was hiding under the bed at the police station

Ogunewe arranged for the Non-Eastern soldiers to return to Lagos

5 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by pentlumpro(f): 4:43pm On Dec 29, 2016
The afonja that opened this thread is still masturbating over something he can never change
He knows the truth but dosent want to admit it
Afonjas must deal with the fact that ojukwu not gowon released awolowo
If they like let them change history to suit them by fabricating lies or producing fake documents
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by Ariani: 4:49pm On Dec 29, 2016
[b] We’ve said this over and over again, so many times, and people don’t understand; they don’t want to actually. If you remember, I released Awolowo from jail. Even that, some people are beginning to contest as well. Awo was in jail in Calabar. Gowon knows and the whole of the federal establishment knows that at no point was Gowon in charge of the East. The East took orders from me. Now, how could Gowon have released Awolowo who was in Calabar? Because of the fact that I released him, it created quite a lot of rapport between Awo and myself and I know that before he went back to Ikenne, I set up a hotline between Ikenne and my bedroom in Enugu. He tried like an elder statesman to find a solution. Awolowo is a funny one. Don’t forget that the political purpose of the coup, the Ifeajuna coup that began all this, was to hand power over to Awo. We young men respected him a great deal. He was a hero. I thought he was a hero and certainly I received him when I was governor. We talked and he was very vehement when he saw our complaints and he said that if the Igbos were forced out by Nigeria that he would take the Yorubas out also. I don’t know what anybody makes of that statement but it is simple. Whether he did or didn’t, it is too late. There is nothing you can do about it. So, he said this and I must have made some appropriate responses too. But it didn’t quite work out the way that we both thought. Awolowo, evidently, had a constant review of the Yoruba situation and took different path. That’s it. I don’t blame him for it. I have never done.[/b]

http://nigeriaworld.com/columnist/okonkwo/072301.html
This was Ojukwu take on the .
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by dudebuck: 4:52pm On Dec 29, 2016
Aigbofa:

Your lame attempt at impersonation is quite amusing. Anyway, below is an excerpt from Effiong's statement after Ojukwu left.

"I am convinced that the suffering of our people must be brought to an immediate end. Our people are now disillusioned, and those elements of the old government regime who have made negotiations and reconciliation impossible have voluntarily removed themselves from our midst."

Was he lying? Pay attention to the word "voluntarily" he wasn't forced, there was no coup, he ran away.
story
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by KingsleyJohn: 5:11pm On Dec 29, 2016
omonnakoda:

There is no logical connection between release of Awo and arrest of Ojukwu.
You folk DELIBERATELY IGNORE FACTS

Gowon came into office on August 1 and signed Awo's release order THE NEXT DAY AUGUST 2 so please tell the world exactly why he should want to arrest OJUKWU at that time? What offence had Ojukwu committed at THAT POINT IN TIME to warrant arrest

I do not think you know the history at all

The people Ojukwu was hiding from were potential mutineers having heard what happened in Lagos. They were coup plotters.

Gowon was not a coup plotter just like Ironsi was not part of Nzeogwu's coup

While Ojukwu was hiding under the bed at the police station

Ogunewe arranged for the Non-Eastern soldiers to return to Lagos

Ojukwu rejected Gowon and insisted he wasn't the most senior officer so he can take over after Ironsi's kidnap. So its funny when you say Ojukwu had committed no crime, rejecting the authority of your supposedly superior is a crime for men in uniform. Yet the supposedly superior went to Aburi to negotiate with his junior?

Furthermore you claim coup plotters were in Enugu, those you called 'mutineers', in other words you agree there was a heirachy which was under Ojukwu's command yet the same heirachy was set aside to release the prisoners in Calabar and there was no repercussion on those that ignored it?

Ogunewe who you keep mention in Enugu, who was he reporting to Or you think he locked up armoury at his own discretion?? Until you start telling your self the truth, you won't learn.

Moreover if Ojukwu was not in total control of the East as you want us to believe how was he able to negotiate repatriation of troops to their state of origin? Or Gowon chose to negotiate with someone hiding inside a police station

Finally stop emphasizing on the timing because for Ojukwu that was the best time too, having failed to get a Yoruba coward who ran off to UK as high commissioner to take his rightful place as the supreme commander, he had to try the almighty Awolowo. Unfortunately Awolowo disappointed too.
Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 5:25pm On Dec 29, 2016
KingsleyJohn:

Ojukwu rejected Gowon and insisted he wasn't the most senior officer so he can take over after Ironsi's kidnap. So its funny when you say Ojukwu had committed no crime, rejecting the authority of your supposedly superior is a crime for men in uniform. Yet the supposedly superior went to Aburi to negotiate with his junior?

Furthermore you claim coup plotters were in Enugu, those you called 'mutineers', in other words you agree there was a heirachy which was under Ojukwu's command yet the same heirachy was set aside to release the prisoners in Calabar and there was no repercussion on those that ignored it?

Ogunewe who you keep mention in Enugu, who was he reporting to Or you think he locked up armoury at his own discretion?? Until you start telling your self the truth, you won't learn.

Moreover if Ojukwu was not in total control of the East as you want us to believe how was he able to negotiate repatriation of troops to their state of origin? Or Gowon chose to negotiate with someone hiding inside a police station

Finally stop emphasizing on the timing because for Ojukwu that was the best time too, having failed to get a Yoruba coward who ran off to UK as high commissioner to take his rightful place as the supreme commander, he had to try the almighty Awolowo. Unfortunately Awolowo disappointed too.

He had committed no crime on 2 August 1966 when Gowon signed the release order for Awo do not pretend you do not understand

Gowon came to power on 1 August
Signed order for Awo release on 2 August and
Awo released on 3 August

tell WHEN Ojukwu REJECTED him

TELL US THE DATE

Tell us when he should have been arrested at the earliest
As a soldier you react to events that are violent before reporting. Ogunewe reacted immediately and Ojukwu was hiding in a police station

So stop trying to change the subject

What is the connection between Awo release on August 2 and OJukwu rejection

When did Ojukwu make his rejection know to the world?
There was no hierarchy with the Prison

Calabar Prisons are under the Federal government and the line of command is ministerial. Ojukwu had no legal power to release Awo. Was Awo convicted of an offense against the Eastern region? How then can Ojukwu release him . Explain the legal status of the release.Was it a pardon?

That is like saying Rochas releases a coup plotter because he is a prison in Imo state.

Awo was not an Eastern Region prisoner

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 5:37pm On Dec 29, 2016
That is the simple question none of you jokers can answer.

Did Ojukwu grant Awo a State Pardon?

3 Likes

Re: Did Ojukwu Release Awolowo From Prison by omonnakoda: 5:37pm On Dec 29, 2016
hat is the simple question none of you jokers can answer.

2 Likes

That is the simple question none of you jokers can answer.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Transition: Tinubu’s Team To Join Federal Gov’t Delegation To World Bank Meeting / Teju Babyface Tribute To Tunji Okusanya Of MIC / Attack On Senators Mark, Oduah And Bruce: Deji Adeyanju Got It Wrong

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.