Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,567 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

What Happened To NTEL? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / What Happened To NTEL? (2034 Views)

See What Happened To My S8+ Screen Of 115k / Letter Bomb To NTEL By A Disappointed Subscriber Over Tariff Increase / Why You Should NOT Subscribe To Ntel Internet Service (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To NTEL? by gozzlin: 4:36am On Dec 30, 2016
Months ago, the media space was inundated with news of the impending launch of a GSM network billed to be 'A colossus'. The mother of all GSM networks in Nigeria, the one that will give the hitherto existing networks a run for their money and possibly displace them.

There was palpable excitement in the air as Nigerians eagerly awaited its launch with an immense sense of anticipation especially Internet users. Finally a network that will offer quality service and good value for money. A network expected to provide reliable Internet services that would process at the speed of light, comparable to the Internet speed in the western world. A real broadband Internet connection that all of us would be proud of.

Then, finally it was launched with great fanfare and pizzazz. It was the buzz of the moment, especially here on nairaland where numerous frontpage topics were dedicated to the 'Messiah' network. There was a great media frenzy as regards the means of procuring the NTEL Sim cards and other paraphernalia. The network itself announced an offer of freebies to the first one million or so Nigerians who would rush to activate their Sims.

Understandably, many Nigerians who couldn't afford to lose out on the scintillating offer sought ways of acquiring the highly coveted NTEL Sim. However from the start, the whole exercise was marred by serious logistics problem as there were few points across the federation where interested individuals can obtain the Sims. In the midst of the chaos occasioned by apparent lack of proper planning and coordination by the company, people's interest in the network began to wane.

I must say that for several months now, I haven't heard the name NTEL mentioned in the national discourse and I don't know what became of them. Did they abruptly decide to close shop or they decided to go back to the drawing board, get their acts together and relaunch?

Please, is NTEL still functional has it gone moribund like it's parent company NITEL?
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by fijiano202(m): 4:43am On Dec 30, 2016
They are on their way to packing uo

4 Likes

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Lordjiggs09(m): 4:55am On Dec 30, 2016
Gone.
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by BlackDBagba: 4:59am On Dec 30, 2016
Gone before they came grin

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by chyket(m): 6:00am On Dec 30, 2016
I guess they were too elitist,they didn't make adequate provision on how to get the recharge cards available to the subscribers.I got their sim card but it never really worked well.The 4g technology which they introduced could not be sustained before the MTN,GLO etc came and hijacked the market from them.I also guess that the recent sacking of their Chairman Chief Ayeni from Skye bank also affected their access to funding.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by dustmalik: 7:32am On Dec 30, 2016
OP, the network is called ntel, not MTEL, and they're still operational.
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by gozzlin: 8:04am On Dec 30, 2016
dustmalik:
OP, the network is called ntel, not MTEL, and they're still operational.

Thanks
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Nbote(m): 8:31am On Dec 30, 2016
Dem dey where dem dey...
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by austinereds(m): 9:14am On Dec 30, 2016
NCC is working for them. they just disappear.
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Fidelismaria: 9:32am On Dec 30, 2016
Dead nd buried
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by pesty100(m): 10:20am On Dec 30, 2016
I think the problem is getting their sims and probably recharge cards
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by honsule(m): 10:37am On Dec 30, 2016
Still working. That is what I use on my pc for unlimited download. But the download speed has drastically reduced to 2-4mb
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by chumakk: 10:45am On Dec 30, 2016
Their problem is the problem with NIgerian. Why sell something to people who can't maintain it? I know some better companies wanted to buy ntel but was not allowed maybe because they can't afford to bribe or don't know someone in government.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Kondomatic(m): 11:21am On Dec 30, 2016
The business was poorly planned.
Sims are not available.

Low network coverage.

Expensive data. etc

Glo and MTN sacrificed NTEL to their gods

1 Like

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by CLASSMAN: 12:21pm On Dec 30, 2016
I use it , the network is very very slow unlike when they first started , I have been using close to 7mnths now , I can't stream match or station with it unlike b4 Thier network is nose diving day by day

1 Like

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Skelewu: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2016
I had the intention of subscribing to the network. Didn't know they haven't really started operating. Nearly one year on, they're yet to get their acts together. Clowns.

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Dec 30, 2016
What is NTEL? I stick to MTN. grin
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by joshmoy(m): 4:55pm On Dec 30, 2016
Re: What Happened To NTEL? by Nobody: 7:12pm On Dec 30, 2016
They are not going anywhere serious.

You think it's easy to just come and outshine telcos that are doing very well?

Any company that will outshine MTN, GLO, Airtel and Etisalat MUST be ready to spend a lot of moneyf for market penetration

2 Likes

Re: What Happened To NTEL? by bollybees(m): 6:58am On Dec 31, 2016
I had the same fear about them. There wasn't advertisements and then no single banner until lately. And then news came about MTN coming with 4G. I was like they will soon be eaten out. I learnt later that they are not ready for B2C model but B2B. They are offering internet services to companies more as oppose to targeting individual consumers. There internet is cheaper for companies than others. 10,000 for unlimited internet for a firm is the real deal.

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Right Age For Kids To Have Their First Smartphone? / Airtel 6GB For N1500 Data Plan Is Still Working Fine And Tested For All Devices / Unlocked Etisalat Huawei Zte Mf65 Mifi For Sale!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.