Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,949 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:50 PM

Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin (8754 Views)

Photos Of Obafemi Martins' Lovely Kids / Checkout The Fabulous Life Of Obafemi Martins And How He Spends His Millions / I Think Obafemi Martins Is A Camerounian! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by snowdrops(m): 10:12pm On Nov 19, 2009
Revealed: The £75,000-a-week footballer who was still overdrawn by the end of the week

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229291/Revealed-The-75-000-week-footballer-overdrawn-end-week.html#ixzz0XLGcwH2b

former Premiership footballer routinely blew his £75,000 a week wages in a matter of days and was constantly overdrawn, a court was told yesterday.

Ex-Newcastle striker Obafemi Martins, 25, was paid the handsome salary after he joined the club for a £10million fee in August 2006.

But despite his extraordinary earnings, his former management team yesterday claimed they repeatedly bailed him out after his bank account continually slipped into the red.

The High Court heard that the Nigerian international player would withdraw £40,000 in cash from his bank account at the end of the week.

But that would only last him two days, the court heard, as he topped up with a further £25,000 on the Monday morning.

He was always overdrawn and repeatedly relied upon NVA Management Limited to 'manage his life', the High Court was told.

Martins, who owned several fast cars including a top of the range Porsche 4X4, spent the money funding an extravagant lifestyle of luxurious penthouse homes and fine dining.

He is now being sued by his former management company who claim that he still owes them 300,000 for sorting out his finances.

Robert Tennink, for NVA, said: 'Day to day life with superstars is demanding and superstars are demanding.'

More,

* Hollywood's favourite hardman Vinnie Jones's firm goes bust owing over £100,000
    * Wayne Rooney treats Coleen to another night out after son's birth,  to see Beyonce for THIRD time this year

He told the court that Martins would withdraw £40,000 for the weekend, followed by another £25,000 on the Monday.

'Despite earning these vast sums of money he was constantly overdrawn,' added Mr Tennink.

He said the firm, which looks after the affairs of several footballers, film and music stars, said that Martins had agreed to pay them for simply managing his life.

It was under their stewardship that Martins agreed a £2million image rights deal 'simply for being Mr Martins'.
It's claimed Martins was constantly overdrawn despite earning £75,000-a-week

It's claimed Martins was constantly overdrawn despite earning £75,000-a-week

He also had lucrative sponsorship deals with various companies including Pepsi and Nike but had not been paid.

When the company stepped in to run his affairs they sorted the unpaid contracts, bringing in thousands of pounds.

They also organised visas when he travelled to Italy, where he once played for Inter Milan, and sorted out his passport, his mortgage and property valuations.

They even arranged critical illness cover and were constantly running up and down the motorway from their London offices to Newcastle in a bid to do all that he required.

'But surely these were things a secretary could do?' asked Judge Richard Seymour QC, referring to the size of fees charged.

'It was a Jeeves-type of role that they performed.'

Mr Tennink protested that managing every aspect of his life was just part of what they did, and asked the judge to bear in mind the sort of figures these players earned.

He said Martins had come to them in July 2007 and agreed a fee of around £300,000 plus 20 per cent of any sponsorship monies they managed to acquire on his behalf.

'He asked for these services to be carried out,' Mr Tennink told the court.

Before they managed his affairs Martins had not been paid a penny for his image rights for the use of his name on Newcastle shirts and mugs and had received nothing from his sponsorship deals.

He could not even find the contracts he had originally signed, Mr Tennink added.

Martins paid the company £67,500 in January last year and another £25,000 in April last year.

But the question for the court to decide, said Mr Tennink, was whether there was a 'binding obligation' for him to pay the outstanding bill of over £300,000.

After Newcastle were relegated from the Premiership last summer Martins was sold for £9million to German Bundesliga Champions Wolfsburg.

Martins, who once owned a penthouse apartment overlooking Newcastle's exclusive Quayside, is fighting the claim.

The hearing is scheduled to last for three days.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1229291/Revealed-The-75-000-week-footballer-overdrawn-end-week.html#ixzz0XLGioBPc
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by deor03(m): 8:39am On Nov 20, 2009
All I can say is WaaaaaOOOhhh shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry

I hope in some 20 years time, we won't be organizing fund raising to pay his rent in Ikorodu
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by semid4lyfe(m): 12:01pm On Nov 20, 2009
These Nigerian footballers sha!
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by walakolobo: 12:40pm On Nov 20, 2009
LIES

[size=18pt]The High Court heard that the Nigerian international player would withdraw £40,000 in cash from his bank account at the end of the week.

But that would only last him two days, the court heard, as he topped up with a further £25,000 on the Monday morning.
[/size]

This is a blatant lie- how can you withdraw £40000 in cash from a bank account in the UK at once? and another £25000 the following monday- dont hoodwink us with lies, we know the banking system and how it works- pls shut the f up.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by buffead(f): 12:47pm On Nov 20, 2009
walakolobo:

LIES

[size=18pt]The High Court heard that the Nigerian international player would withdraw £40,000 in cash from his bank account at the end of the week.

[/size]

This is a blatant lie- how can you withdraw £40000 in cash from a bank account in the UK at once? and another £25000 the following monday- dont hoodwink us with lies, we know the banking system and how it works- pls shut the f up.

LOOOOOOOL
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by blapo(m): 3:20pm On Nov 20, 2009
He fails to remember the son of who he is, 40K pound every weekend?
i'dont know what to say.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by OBVIOUS(m): 4:05pm On Nov 20, 2009
He needs a new MANAGEMENT TEAM angry angry angry angry angry
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by MrCrackles(m): 9:35pm On Nov 20, 2009
I dont believe the bullshit cooked up by NVA. . .
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by bawomolo(m): 10:09pm On Nov 20, 2009
He could not even find the contracts he had originally signed, Mr Tennink added.

lol naija boy
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by yommyuk: 11:11pm On Nov 20, 2009
I just hope this story is not true embarassed
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by martinosi: 12:45pm On Nov 21, 2009
the story is true and for those ignorant posters, the overdrafts and line of credit limits
a premiership footballer has is not like you that works a 36 hours a week job and is paid
£35k a year, tongue
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by Nobody: 12:47pm On Nov 21, 2009
Who cares how he lavishes his hard earned money,,fscking thread made frontpage,na wa o
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by martinosi: 12:48pm On Nov 21, 2009
story is true and for those posters who say its a lie
the overdraft limit and line of credit of a premiership footballer is not the
same as some one doing a 36 hour a week job and earning £36k a year!!!
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by denony(m): 12:49pm On Nov 21, 2009
It's his money and none of your business on how he spent it.
He sfor it, and has right to abolish it the way he wants.

spare him
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by grace5: 12:51pm On Nov 21, 2009
well some are true you will not believe the live they live,knowing money is coming in every week
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by toosoon(m): 12:57pm On Nov 21, 2009
maybe some1 is jobing him. Plenty Money!!! grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by jpworld(m): 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2009
NVA is right! when they say 75k a week, it seems too much, don't forget government will still take there 40% tax a week, and he still has to pay his manager 10% from his salary, when you earn big you spend big, martins is a star, but not a star to compare ronaldo who earn much much higher, live according to your pocket, this situation happens to everybody,
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by IbrahimB: 1:13pm On Nov 21, 2009
It's his money and none of your business on how he spent it.
It sure is his money. But let's not hear any talk of fundraising for him in 20 years time (as deor03 rightly said)
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by mechangeid: 1:35pm On Nov 21, 2009
Martins is from Nigeria i think he knows what he is doing,i have some friends abroad who also do the same,OPERATING SECREAT ACCOUNT and leave PUBLIC account EMPTY,this dude is hidding his money somewhere,its impossible to spend 65k pounds in 3days expecially in uk.So leave the dude alone he knows what he is doing
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by brutal(m): 1:48pm On Nov 21, 2009
deor03:

All I can say is WaaaaaOOOhhh shocked shocked shocked shocked angry angry angry angry

I hope in some 20 years time, we won't be organizing fund raising to pay his rent in Ikorodu
He lives in v.g.c.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by Nobody: 2:18pm On Nov 21, 2009
You've got to be kidding me! I am Martin's Super Fan. My dissapointment at this financial impudency is beyond my . . . (loss of word). What a waste!
If this is said of some other football out there it will not bug me one bit, but Martin? Martins?
Disapointment is an understatement!
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by chosen04(f): 2:19pm On Nov 21, 2009
mechangeid:

Martins is from Nigeria i think he knows what he is doing,i have some friends abroad who also do the same,OPERATING SECREAT ACCOUNT and leave PUBLIC account EMPTY,this dude is hidding his money somewhere,its impossible to spend 65k pounds in 3days expecially in uk.So leave the dude alone he knows what he is doing

I HOPE YOU  ARE SURE OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT?

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by bettes(f): 2:21pm On Nov 21, 2009
brutal:

He lives in v.g.c.

I think what the poster meant was at the rate he's going he might barely be able to pay for even a place in ikorodu.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by busybody20: 2:47pm On Nov 21, 2009
snowdrops:

Revealed: The £75,000-a-week footballer who was still overdrawn by the end of the week

former Premiership footballer routinely blew his £75,000 a week wages in a matter of days and was constantly overdrawn, a court was told yesterday.

The High Court heard that the Nigerian international player would withdraw £40,000 in cash from his bank account at the end of the week.

This Is Highly Over Exaggerated! People Live A Very Comfortable Life On 600 Pounds Per Week (Inclusive Of Bills) And Still Have More To Save. But 40,000 Pounds Is Highly Over Exaggerated; Its Just His Management Team Trying To Get At Him By Character Assassination Thereby Cooking Up Incredible Stories. .
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by nguage(m): 2:52pm On Nov 21, 2009
Shame on Chris Nathaniel of NVA management. He kept exploiting the poor boy for "representation."  Asking for $420,000 because he announced to the media when Oba's mother died.

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by chidichris(m): 3:23pm On Nov 21, 2009
why didn't this stupid management company tell us this bullshit while they were still managing him? why now?
since when has it become a crime for people to spend their own funds their own ways?

as for some of us here waiting to contribute for his house rent, u have to wait forever as that God that brought him to this level will never let him down.
i have said it times without numbers, most nairalanders anjoy rejoicing over our fellow countrymen's failures but the good news is NO ONE CAN COURSE WHO GOD BLESS.

1 Like

Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by Claus(m): 3:26pm On Nov 21, 2009
walakolobo:

LIES

[/size]

Some bank branches MAY require advance notice if you require cash over the counter that is greater than your daily cash machine withdrawal limit, however, it is not impossible for large withdrawals as stated above to be made.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by axeman85(m): 3:59pm On Nov 21, 2009
guys dont be suprised. you will be suprised on how much these footballers spend on just a weekend alone.

where i was working before as a financial advisor i had a fooballer customer once that spends £50k per month on champagne. he was almost going bankrpt but the timely intervention of myself and company to rescuse him out of the debt he was in via a Debt management Plan. were we negotiate with all his creditors.
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by nas00(m): 4:02pm On Nov 21, 2009
If what i'm hearing is true,
'Obagoal' should go learn from Baba Yekini's experience because by the time he runs down completely, im own go worse pass vulcanizer or fuji musician.
I hope he learnt some trade, like Yekini, b4 venturing into footie. grin grin
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by babscash: 4:07pm On Nov 21, 2009
Do u guys wanna go to Uk and spend like Martins?LOL, well here is a CHANCE!!!willing to go and school in U.K or U.S.A for your undergraduate study, masters and PHD degrees? well here is an opportunity for you now to know how to get a scholarship, Rush to gloscholarships..com and type your name, email address on the right spot and get an instant access.thanks
to your educational success
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by proudly9ja(m): 4:56pm On Nov 21, 2009
Martins is probably sending his money home like someone suggested. It totally makes sense especially if he has capital projects going on back home.

Plus this incident probably happened once or twice. Im not sure its a weekly occurence
Re: Obafemi Martins Risks Financial Ruin by untainted: 5:05pm On Nov 21, 2009
mechangeid:

i sincerely hope so.
it would break my heart to see him end up like bash ali who is
currently camping in front of Police HQTRS Abuja with sign-
"Former Cruiserweight Champion homeless in Abuja" and some
other demeaning slogans.
FYI, there was a time bash sprayed dollars at parties in lagos.
it would really break my heart! sad cry cry cry cry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Dalung Redeploys Senior Sports Ministry Officials / Free Daily 2 Odds For 1 Million (100% Sure) - Sports - Banned / Jonathan Akpoborie Writes Tribute To Sebastian Brodericks-Imasuen

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.