Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,211 members, 7,807,722 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:04 PM

Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists (2282 Views)

Crazy Things That Religious People Believe - Add Yours / Joyce Meyer Defends Tattoos, Says She Might Get One To Make Religious People Mad / Hypocrisy Of Religious People On DNA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 7:09pm On Dec 30, 2016
An number of studies have shown that Christians and members of other religious groups are more likely to be racists and discriminate against people of other racial groups. The dynamic indicated by these studies question the notion that people need religion to be moral.... Well, these are some of the studies
https://m.mic.com/articles/29397/religious-people-tend-to-be-more-racist-study-finds#.6Rrv8fNbh
https://news.usc.edu/26776/Study-Links-Religious-Groups-and-Racial-Bias/
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_582b557ee4b0a904ef59ec71

So what do u think? Is this true??/

1 Like

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by thesicilian: 7:22pm On Dec 30, 2016
Who did those researches? Most likely racist atheists or Muslims.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 7:25pm On Dec 30, 2016
thesicilian:
Who did those researches?
Different news agencies...
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by iykomo0(m): 7:28pm On Dec 30, 2016
undecided
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 7:29pm On Dec 30, 2016
thesicilian:
Who did those researches? Most likely racist atheists or Muslims.
I think u should conduct your own research before dismissing it as some kind of atheist agenda... Below is an except from one of the articles
"The study, “Why Don’t We Practice What We Preach? A Meta-Analytic Review of Religious Racism,” was conducted by Deborah Hall (Duke University), David C. Matz (Augsburg College), and Wendy Wood (University of Southern California), and appears in the journal Personality and Social Psychology Review. The authors analyzed data from 55 studies on religion and racism in America dating to the civil rights era. Combined, the studies include more than 22,000 participants, mostly white and Protestant. The researchers looked not only at things like religious affiliation, church attendance and other participation but also at the motives behind their involvement to avoid clumping all religious adherents into a single category. Racial prejudice was measured principally as self-reported attitudes and behaviors, such as preferred levels of social distance toward blacks and other minority groups."
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by akintom(m): 7:39pm On Dec 30, 2016
The studies only put what naturally characterizes religious groups, into a statistical format.

The Christian god said any human who doesn't accept it as god idea is less human (racism), Jewish god and its children's act of racism is the worst and most horrific.

this Jewish god ordered genocide on folks that rejected it.

The same goes for Allah and its children.

Orunmila and its children.

The end of religion is the end of racism.

2 Likes

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 7:52pm On Dec 30, 2016
Cc hopefulLandlord, Eyehategod, dalaman, ScepticalPyrrho,
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 8:14pm On Dec 30, 2016
felixomor 4everGod KingEbukasblog DoctorAlien
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Godstraight(m): 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2016
akintom:
The studies only put what naturally characterizes religious groups, into a statistical format.

The Christian god said any human who doesn't accept it as god idea is less human (racism), Jewish god and its children's act of racism is the worst and most horrific.

Orunmila and its children.

maybe in the US ,as someone who lived in the UK let me categorically tell you racism is whole on its whole there are secular Europeans who are racist,neo Nazis and sort of things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by hopefulLandlord: 8:26pm On Dec 30, 2016
racism is everywhere even in Nigeria
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by hopefulLandlord: 8:26pm On Dec 30, 2016
Godstraight:
maybe in the US ,as someone who lived in the UK let me categorically tell you racism is whole on its whole there are secular Europeans who are racist,neo Nazis and sort of things

elucidate sir

let's learn from you
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 8:29pm On Dec 30, 2016
Godstraight:
Can't argue with you because am not all that familiar with dynamics in Europe but I can definitely speak for USA, the southern part of USA is dominated by Christians with states like Texas leading the pack.
These southern states went to war- the American civil war to preserve slavery, when the revolution against racial segregation took place, the southerners were against same schools for whites and blacks. Even today these states vote Republican which though it's not a bad thing shows ideological leanings in the line of white supremacy.
Evangelicals have been accused routinely of being racist and discriminating towards blacks, in fact the southern Baptist convention is seen criticized for it's ideologues on issues of race... It's a serious issue over there

5 Likes

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Charlesdock(m): 8:30pm On Dec 30, 2016
Am a christian and am not a racist. Racism doesn't apply to a particular religion but to every one of us. If you have a problem with christianity please don't let that problem come in between you and the truth. Racism is everywhere no matter whether you're religious or not.

1 Like

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2016
Charlesdock:
Am a christian and am not a racist. Racism doesn't apply to a particular religion but to every one of us. If you have a problem with christianity please don't let that problem come in between you and the truth. Racism is everywhere no matter whether you're religious or not.
No where did I say that all Christians are racists or that no atheists are racists. That would be bigotry or hasty generalization at the very least... But studies, a plethora of them have shown that Christians, well religious people generally are more likely to be racists...

1 Like

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Diplomaticbeing(m): 8:45pm On Dec 30, 2016
Tell me that creedal, revealable and dogmatic religion, and atheistic proponents are more likely to be more discriminatory against those that don't profess their belief system than others (like me) that are spiritual but not religious or atheist and I'll agree with you.

Racism is different from discrimination in the sense that one cannot be a racist against someone of her race.
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by akintom(m): 8:48pm On Dec 30, 2016
Godstraight:

There exists religious beliefs, that maliciously conditions folks mind, via indoctrination, to perceive and interact with fellow humans with attitudes that defines racism.

Racism that stems from political, economic and tribal interests, is fueled by the deeper racism created by religious beliefs, which started with religious folks and society from formative age.

2 Likes

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Charlesdock(m): 8:53pm On Dec 30, 2016
randomperson:

No where did I say that all Christians are racists or that no atheists are racists. That would be bigotry or hasty generalization at the very least... But studies, a plethora of them have shown that Christians, well religious people generally are more likely to be racists...
I now understand. But you should have instead use religious people, I mean fanatics are racists rather than say christians alone. It is well :-)

1 Like

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 9:01pm On Dec 30, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:
Tell me that creedal, revealable and dogmatic religion, and atheistic proponents are more likely to be more discriminatory against those that don't profess their belief system than others (like me) that's spiritual but not religious or atheist and I'll agree with you.

Racism is different from discrimination in the sense that one cannot be a racist against someone of her race.

Religion teaches you to see yourself better than others and that by virtue of your belief, you're worthy of eternal utopia and any one who doesn't share your beliefs is worthy of eternal damnation....
Racism teaches u that by virtue of your skin or race, you have better attributes and are entitled to some privileges....
The mindsets are different but not completely unrelated

1 Like

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Diplomaticbeing(m): 9:17pm On Dec 30, 2016
randomperson:

Religion teaches you to see yourself better than others and that by virtue of your belief, you're worthy of eternal utopia and any one who doesn't share your beliefs is worthy of eternal damnation....
Racism teaches u that by virtue of your skin or race, you have better attributes and are entitled to some privileges....
The mindsets are different but not completely unrelated

I'm not sure you're discussing the topic which its subject is "Christians are more likely to be RACISTS than others."

Citing the subject of the topic and what the word "racist" mean, it's obvious that the OP lack meaningful knowledge to make the submissions he made. This is so because both the blacks and whites (people) practices the Christian religion in particular and religion of any kind in general. So, the appropriate word to use should be "discrimination" not racism. Therefore, my former position remain - someone cannot be a racist towards another that share same race with her.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by akintom(m): 9:18pm On Dec 30, 2016
Racism is discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.
- Wikipedia

In a sense, didn't Christian religion called its adherents -
* chosen generation?
*peculiar folks?
*spiritual Israelites?

And called those that doesn't subscribe to Jewish god -
*gentiles ?
*wicked and evil?
*lost and fools?
*miserable?
*damned?

In the sense that racism functions where the perception and interaction with fellow humans is concerned, nothing contaminates and messes up humanity like religion.

3 Likes

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 9:21pm On Dec 30, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:

I'm not sure you're discussing the topic which its subject is "Christians are more likely to be RACISTS than others."

Citing the subject of the topic and what the word "racist" mean, it's obvious that the OP lack meaningful knowledge to make the submissions he made. This is so because both the blacks and whites (people) practices the Christian religion in particular and religion of any kind in general. So, the appropriate word to use should be "discrimination" not racism. Therefore, my former position remain - someone cannot be a racist towards another that share same race with her.

U don't get it... The point is Christians of any race, but most visible in whites, are more likely to see themselves as superior to people of another race...
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Nobody: 9:22pm On Dec 30, 2016
akintom:

Orunmila and its children

Where u missed it is where u attribute children to Allah. I am happy to let you know Allah is neither begotten nor begot. The 3 Into of the Christians may do. Am not concerned about that.

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Diplomaticbeing(m): 9:29pm On Dec 30, 2016
randomperson:

U don't get it... The point is Christians of any race, but most visible in whites, are more likely to see themselves as superior to people of another race...

Perhaps you will need to re-read my previous submissions, because herein you've slightly corroborated them - especially my foremost one.

However, what you don't seem to understand or agree with me (citing your usage of it) yet, is that racism is different from discrimination.
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by ScepticalPyrrho: 9:32pm On Dec 30, 2016
Akintom has taken the words out of my mouth.

But religious folks would barge into the thread without taking proper note of the subject matter.

They are most likely racists because they are quickest to pass judgement on other cultures that do not conform to their religious believes.

Those of same religion but with a different cultural practice are also victims of racism from extremists religionists.

For instance, the Arabs would still see the black muslims as infidels because of other cultural practices. So would african christians frown at Western liberal christians.

Christians always find sinners. Muslims always point out infidels.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by randomperson: 9:44pm On Dec 30, 2016
Diplomaticbeing:

Perhaps you will need to re-read my previous submissions, because herein you've slightly corroborated them - especially my foremost one.

However, what you don't seem to understand or agree with me (citing your usage of it) yet, is that racism is different from discrimination.

I get your point... Am just saying the word racism is still very apt... Racism is basically discrimination on the basis of race
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by akintom(m): 9:48pm On Dec 30, 2016
Geohafz:

Where u missed it is where u attribute children to Allah. I am happy to let you know Allah is neither begotten nor begot. The 3 Into of the Christians may do. Am not concerned about that.
It's ok, Allah and those who believe in its existence.
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Horus(m): 9:55pm On Dec 30, 2016
All religions breed racism
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Godstraight(m): 11:40pm On Dec 30, 2016
randomperson:

Can't argue with you because am not all that familiar with dynamics in Europe but I can definitely speak for USA, the southern part of USA is dominated by Christians with states like Texas leading the pack.
These southern states went to war- the American civil war to preserve slavery, when the revolution against racial segregation took place, the southerners were against same schools for whites and blacks. Even today these states vote Republican which though it's not a bad thing shows ideological leanings in the line of white supremacy.
Evangelicals have been accused routinely of being racist and discriminating towards blacks, in fact the southern Baptist convention is seen criticized for it's ideologues on issues of race...
It's a serious issue over there
okay,am not really in touch the dailly activities of the USA
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Godstraight(m): 11:42pm On Dec 30, 2016
ScepticalPyrrho:
Akintom has taken the words out of my mouth.

But religious folks would barge into the thread without taking proper note of the subject matter.

They are most likely racists because they are quickest to pass judgement on other cultures that do not conform to their religious believes.

Those of same religion but with a different cultural practice are also victims of racism from extremists religionists.

For instance, the Arabs would still see the black muslims as infidels because of other cultural practices. So would african christians frown at Western liberal christians.

Christians always find sinners. Muslims always point out infidels.

bro racism don't work this way,have you been to Germany/south Korea how were you received as black
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Godstraight(m): 11:46pm On Dec 30, 2016
akintom:
Racism is discrimination and prejudice towards people based on their race or ethnicity.
- Wikipedia

In a sense, didn't Christian religion called its adherents -
* chosen generation?
*peculiar folks?
*spiritual Israelites?

And called those that doesn't subscribe to Jewish god -
*gentiles ?
*wicked and evil?
*lost and fools?
*miserable?
*damned?

In the sense that racism functions where the perception and interaction with fellow humans is concerned, nothing contaminates and messes up humanity like religion.
as much as u would love your Christian bashing hobby,I need to remind you that racism is generally based on skin color not all these things

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by Godstraight(m): 11:48pm On Dec 30, 2016
akintom:

There exists religious beliefs, that maliciously conditions folks mind, via indoctrination, to perceive and interact with fellow humans with attitudes that defines racism.

Racism that stems from political, economic and tribal interests, is fueled by the deeper racism created by religious beliefs, which started with religious folks and society from formative age.
okay why are countries like south Korea racist?
Re: Religious people Are More Likely To Be Racists by ScepticalPyrrho: 11:57pm On Dec 30, 2016
Godstraight:
bro racism don't work this way,have you been to Germany/south Korea how were you received as black
Bro... the title says "Religious People Are MORE LIKELY to be racists".

Can you deny the above?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just Delete!!! / Do You Believe In Sussicorn? / The Power Of Praise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.