Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts (26477 Views)

Stamp Duty Charges Extended To Savings Account / CBN Extends Support To Skye Bank / CBN Extends BVN To Microfinance Banks, Gives July 31 Deadline (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Islie: 7:54am On Jan 03, 2017
Everest Amaefule , Abuja

Banks are no longer restricting the deduction of stamp duty on deposits made into current accounts, but now apply it to deposits made into savings accounts, investigation has shown.

The Central Bank of Nigeria had through a circular issued on January 15, 2016 directed the Deposit Money Banks to deduct N50 stamp duty on each deposit made into current accounts with a value of N 1000 and above in order to boost government’ s revenue drive and in compliance with Stamp Duties Act, 2004.

The apex bank anchored its directive on a court ruling obtained by Kasmal International Services Limited in 2014 to the effect that the 22 banks operating in the country should remit more than N 6 tn to the Nigerian Postal Services through the company as the stamp duty they were supposed to have collected since the Stamp Duties Act was passed into law.

However , the CBN exempted savings accounts from the deduction of stamp duty .

The circular stated, “ With immediate effect , all DMBs and other financial institutions shall commence the charging of N50 per eligible transaction in accordance with the provisions of the Stamp Duties Act and the Federal Government’ s Financial Regulations 2009 ; that is, all receipts given by any bank or other financial institution in acknowledgement of services rendered in respect of electronic transfers and teller deposits from N1,000 and above.

“ For the avoidance of doubt, the following receipts are , however , exempted from the imposition of stamp duties : payment deposits or transfers by self to self , whether inter or intra bank; and any form of withdrawals / transfers from savings accounts. ”

Investigation by our correspondent, however , showed that the banks had extended the deduction of the stamp duty to savings account transactions.

It was gathered that the Nigerian Postal Services , the implementation agency of the Stamp Duties Act, was against the exemption of any bank account except savings accounts held by children.

It was not clear as of press time when the collection of the duty was extended to savings accounts, but some bankers who spoke to our correspondent on condition of anonymity said the only exemption were deposits made by the owners of savings accounts.

This means that when a third party makes a deposit into a savings account with a value of at least N1, 000 , the sum of N50 is automatically deducted as stamp duty, which the bank has a responsibility to transfer to the NIPOST Stamp Duty Account domiciled with the CBN.

The Lagos Division of the Appeal Court had ruled that imposing a stamp duty on electronic transactions was illegal.

Ruling on an appeal filed by Standard Chartered Bank against Kasmal International Services Limited and 22 others, Justice Ibrahim Saulawa and four other justices of the Court of Appeal , Lagos Judicial Division , held that the Stamp Duties Act, 2004 did not impose a duty on the DMBs to deduct N 50 on bank deposits .

http://punchng.com/cbn-extends-stamp-duty-collection-savings-accounts/

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by sinistermind(m): 7:57am On Jan 03, 2017
Ok
Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by SalC: 8:00am On Jan 03, 2017
Just say they extend their stealing to savings accounts too.

82 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Nobody: 8:03am On Jan 03, 2017
Buhari gives with his left hand and takes with right hand... This is a case off when d devil gives u a walking stick be prepared to offered him ur hand in return

48 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Nobody: 8:05am On Jan 03, 2017
useless heads

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by ScotsReferendum: 8:10am On Jan 03, 2017
Good Morning Afonjas
Hope you guys are enjoying the Change

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Realdeals(m): 8:11am On Jan 03, 2017
What have they done with last year collections, nothing was said about it.
This report is another sensational story from Punch Newspapers, there was no official statement from CBN and they fail to mention a bank deducting the charges on savings account, I have 3 savings account in 3 banks and nothing like that happens on them.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by idupaul: 8:14am On Jan 03, 2017
I hope everybody notices that that till date the remuneration of political office holder have not been reduced a single bit . Till date Buhari has not for once accounted for how much has been received from postage duties thus far ..Buhari kills every thing he meets , if we are not careful he might destroy the the once robust Nigerian banking industry I tell you

54 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by idupaul: 8:17am On Jan 03, 2017
Realdeals:
What have they done with last year collections.
Exactly last year my current t account was attacked many many times in the name of stamp duty and to my dismay the govt never disclosed to us how much it had from such collections and what it was used for neither did It reflect in the new budget ..

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by MONITZ: 8:27am On Jan 03, 2017
The corruption going on in this supposed anti -corruption government is so so huge, Jonathan's government will be saintly wen juxtaposed with Buhari's by the time he leaves power and a probe is instituted by a new government.Everything is done in secrecy from budget implementation and revenue generation to looting... So much for a very few set of people to loot unlike Jonathan's time wen a lot of people had a taste of d pie.

Very Senior members of his party ve cornered the N. N. P. C to themselves which is the cash cow for any government and also the forex deals involving the C. B.N which also was fingered in the employment fiasco involving children of the elites. Everything is shrouded in secrecy bt truth shall always prevail no matter how devious falsehood is.....

From clearing of grasses in the camp of IDPs with a ridiculous amount and MTN bribe saga to Kola Aluko of Sahara Energy mess...None of these cases I mentioned has been revisited despite overwhelming evidences that senior allies of our anti corruption crusader took bribes.And these re just the few ones we know of, so how much more those bad deals that re hidden that only a new government can unearth.....

53 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by jazinogold(m): 9:36am On Jan 03, 2017
angry angry angry

APC are very deceptive angry angry angry

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by SouthWestBlood(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2017
Seconds before I saw this thread, I just got debit alert for the rubbish STAMP DUTY. Now I see why we need to kill all these rogues before we can have a government that truly represent the people and a better Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by peculiar3(m): 10:39am On Jan 03, 2017
...hmmm, tactically suffering the masses angry undecided cry

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by 0b10010011: 10:40am On Jan 03, 2017
It has been confirmed that "Change" has taken over the banks.

Is this government bent on making life difficult for the masses! After knowing fully well that an average Nigerian operates a savings account and they still wanna extort him through a sham policy?

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by whirlwind7(m): 10:40am On Jan 03, 2017
sad

Fed up with this worthless government already.

It can never think about productive ways of creating revenue. Productive as in, make its citizens benefit from such avenues while remitting a mandatory percentage of it to government in the forms of taxes, levies and duties. No. It can't.

Instead, after paying taxes and duties on products and services, I am made to forfeit NGN50 when I deposit my net profit of NGN1,000 into my alawee savings accounts!

What crime did I commit for being a Nigerian?

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by mikaelzX(m): 10:40am On Jan 03, 2017
This is real robbery | This should be resisted

9 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by ElectronicsGuy(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2017
Get your generator power booster and be able to use your small generator to power your heating elements like pressing iron, electric kettle, hot plate, boiling ring, heater, dryer, etc. without stressing the generator.

You can also use it on phcn and save yourself 50% on bills!

Check my signature for contact

N4500 only, Lagos based

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Odeyinigbin(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2017
ScotsReferendum:
Good Morning Afonjas

Hope you guys are enjoying the Change

C ur mouth

3 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by gambus007(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2017
Way standard chartered bank don dey remove d money for my account embarassed
Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by StealthyMe(m): 10:42am On Jan 03, 2017
Any hope for the future of our Nation ??

3 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by nairaman66(m): 10:42am On Jan 03, 2017
The CBN governor is the worst ever and he is also a fraudster!!

4 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by ElectronicsGuy(m): 10:42am On Jan 03, 2017
Bubu, maka y?

2 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by pejuakinab: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2017
Deranged government of change.

3 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by fergie001: 10:43am On Jan 03, 2017
2019?Chai

2 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by wellmax(m): 10:44am On Jan 03, 2017
I think Emefiele has overstayed his usefulness.

7 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by MarshRiley(m): 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
Una never see anything
It's just starting
It's just annoying that even we who didn't vote "Change" have to pay for their sin

12 Likes

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by seXytOhbAd(m): 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
To all those who were shouting about buhari fulfilling his promise to pay each poor unemployed youth N50,000... I hope you can see that this government has no feasible plan. They are robbing us literally. It is better for you to keep money in your house cash, than have the government tax N50 from you. Now we don't know of this is annually, or monthly. They should kuku tell us because banks like heritage and keystone can decide to deduct it daily sef lol

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by emmaliveth10(m): 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
tongue Is All "CHANGE" tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
Buhari is a walking corpse, he just doesn't know it yet.

The political thieves are there enjoying their over-bloated allowances but you chose to frustrate the tired, the poor & the huddled masses.

Let's see how you will run for second term in office.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by tk4rd: 10:45am On Jan 03, 2017
Islie:

http://punchng.com/cbn-extends-stamp-duty-collection-savings-accounts/

BAD POLICIES EVERYWHERE.!!
Sai Changii.!!
Sai Babaa.!!

1 Like

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by curvilicious: 10:46am On Jan 03, 2017
Nyerhovwo101:
Buhari gives with his left hand and takes with right hand... This is a case off when d devil gives u a walking stick be prepared to offered him ur hand in return

Buhari give? Abeg where?
From d look of things he is a very stingy man cos I've not seen where he gave anything

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Extends Stamp Duty Collection To Savings Accounts by Ajusshi: 10:47am On Jan 03, 2017
Na to hide money Pablo Escobar style sure pass now. sad yeye gomenti

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FCMB Has Refused To Lift Restrictions On My Account After Doing KYC / Naira To Appreciate, Settle At N600/$1 In Coming Months, Says JP Morgan / First Bank Is The Most Unreliable Bank In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.