Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,272 members, 7,807,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:35 PM

Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers (1413 Views)

Need Help From Nairaland Gurus By / Apple Once Again Needs Help From Samsung (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by SweetyZinta(f): 11:56am On Jan 04, 2017
Hello Everyone

I will make this as brief as possible. My Sister's friend Doris is a make-up artist and is still under training some where in Gwarinpa, Abuja. so she closed from work on 30th December @about 7-8pm. she alighted @ Jabi Masalachi to pick a bike and go home but her bag was snatched. the contents include her android phone, atm card from Eco bank, cosmetics, small change etc.

There was a long break after that day so she couldn't do anything. early morning on Tuesday when work resumed, she went to the bank trying to block her account and probably report her stolen Atm Card but it was too late as her 65,000 was already missing from her account. she has not been her self ever since. this same girl just got Admission into a Federal Polytechnic. she has been saving for her school and now her hope is dashed. please Bankers and security experts should suggest what we should do to expose these criminals. Their Family and Friends MUST know what they are into and how they make their money!!!

Nairalanders please suggest to us how to expose these thieves to avoid future occurrences
Cc: Ayris09, KingVaha, Soletar, Nexy007, mynd44
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by Nobody: 2:21pm On Jan 04, 2017
This story does not add up, there's more than meets the eye.

Didn't she get alert for the txn?
What platform was used for the said 65k debit?
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by SweetyZinta(f): 3:18pm On Jan 04, 2017
vimi:
This story does not add up, there's more than meets the eye.

Didn't she get alert for the txn?
What platform was used for the said 65k debit?
her phone was also stolen alongside the atm card. till now the phone is not found
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jan 04, 2017
SweetyZinta:

her phone was also stolen alongside the atm card. till now the phone is not found
How was the 65k debited. Via atm or mobile money transfer?
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by Whizpeter(m): 4:30pm On Jan 04, 2017
vimi:

I guess via online purchase...
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jan 04, 2017
Whizpeter:

I guess via online purchase...
Most online purchase site kinda require 4 digit PIN tho, I feel the affected one dished out a seasoned sob story.

#MyCandidOpinion.
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by Abdstrakt(m): 8:59am On Jan 05, 2017
Any form of Transaction with an ATM card requires the owner's 4 digit pin. How were they able to withdraw without knowledge of the said pin?
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by SweetyZinta(f): 11:42am On Jan 05, 2017
vimi:

It is Via ATM
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by nurey(m): 12:23pm On Jan 05, 2017
what they did is simple, you dont need ATM pin at all, just atm and the phone registered.

they pay for something online, the payment asks ATM number, name and expire date of atm, all available on the ATM CARD to the thief, now to withdraw money from your account, he would be sent an OTP code which would be send to the phone via SMS, kpam, payment done.

so all the thief needs is just your atm card and the phone number (sim) registered to the account

you can trace the transaction but the cost, time and wahala may not be worth it or fruitful as we dont have a functioning system in Nigeria

2 Likes

Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by SweetyZinta(f): 3:35pm On Jan 06, 2017
nurey:
what they did is simple, you dont need ATM pin at all, just atm and the phone registered.

they pay for something online, the payment asks ATM number, name and expire date of atm, all available on the ATM CARD to the thief, now to withdraw money from your account, he would be sent an OTP code which would be send to the phone via SMS, kpam, payment done.

so all the thief needs is just your atm card and the phone number (sim) registered to the account

you can trace the transaction but the cost, time and wahala may not be worth it or fruitful as we dont have a functioning system in Nigeria

thank you so much for this advice. we will be more careful in 2017

God bless you
Re: Please I Need Help From Security Experts/bankers by abbasajao(m): 7:37pm On Dec 25, 2019
Abdstrakt:
Any form of Transaction with an ATM card requires the owner's 4 digit pin. How were they able to withdraw without knowledge of the said pin?

To pay for online purchase only requires expiring date of cards and some digits on the cards

(1) (Reply)

What's Wrong With Nairaland Homepage? / How To Create Multiple Facebook Accounts With Just One Gmail / Infinix Hot 5

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.