Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,235 members, 7,780,447 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:32 PM

An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement (1842 Views)

Kudos To Seun As He Cleanses Nairaland. / Seun Osewa, Nairaland & Nigerian Politics / Today Is Seun Osewa Birthday...let's Show Him Love (post Your Greetings) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 2:07am On Jan 05, 2017
Dear Seun,
As much as I admire your creativity and volition to bring this forum to life. It is with concern that I say Nairaland needs improvement. I don't know about programming or software but I know the benefits and how to enjoy them.

Content and features
I believe a good online community should never make you think how to do basic tasks such as creating a new post. If it takes more than one minute to figure out how it works, the experience won't be enjoyed. It took me a while to figure this out. And some friends of mine who are new here experienced the same and I had to direct them. There should be a column just like the way we click on sections stating ‘how to use nairaland’ with pictures attached and the’ rules and regulations’. The rules and regulations don't only have to be shown when creating a topic which most people like me don't read. This would enable guests to know beforehand whether they would sign up or not.

The technical features like the editing tools are rather uncomfortable to use. It's very annoying to see [color00000001%d], [quote] or [font0000%d] posted along side with your post when you are changing the color, font or making your post bold. I want you to think of ms word editing tools when taking this into consideration. It would also be nice to see edit feature already effected before posting rather than the usual {color00000001%} which is extremely confusing.

It's almost impossible to read some topics. Those with over a 100000 views and thousands of comments. I believe if you could add a click on icon that allows a chat room which actually looks like a chat and not a topic, it would be great. One of your rules talks about derailing a thread and how commenters shouldn't stray from the content of the topic. But I can't help but notice how most people turn threads to discussion forums(which I'm guilty for) asking how christmas was. Nobody want to see discussion on their threads when they are talking about serious life issues. This is where a chat room would be nice, maybe a ‘chat’ icon just like the way the ‘report’, ‘quote’, ‘like’ and ‘share’ are shown under a member.

The search tool needs improvement. For example, when I search for a member’s name, I have to scroll through pages before I actually see a comment the member made before I access their profile. The search tool only filters are sections, moderators, topics and images. I believe an addition of members, mentions and posts would be great. Also when names are incorrectly spelt, Nairaland just says ‘No result’, a ‘Did you mean ….’ would be great.

It would also be nice to see new smileys.

Members
It's easy to tell the type of members on a forum. Members with childish nicknames such as smellinganus, penisinpenisout, etc., are definitely the wrong kind of members. Members who use good names, write well and present useful Information are the right kind of members.
I believe in the power of a good online forum to help virtually anyone. It is sad to see that nairaland has been derailed by judgemental members and a lot of immature and childish people. I don't know what can be done about this. I guess nothing.

Guidelines and rules
Most of the rules are okay but the tone of some of the rules are tyrannical. The part that says if you have an alternate account, make sure we don't find out. A subtle speech is better. Also, don't disobey moderators, disrespect or defame them. I believe a single word encompassing all would suffice.

Moderators
Nairaland’so moderation team is incompetent and their greatest skill is the use of Intimidation and bullying, banning people anyhow even at the slightest provocation which I think is unnecessary. A great moderator knows when to exercise which action. Haters are inevitable in threads but a good moderator practices good judgement to address such behaviour by deleting such comments or removing them entirely from the thread. It is totally unecessary to effect a full ban on all sections when the offense was committed on a particular thread.
A great online moderator should be able to discern between topics that can produce valuable insight and those that are simply inconsequential. Many recent front page topics should actually be backpage. Nairaland forum has a lot of ‘.’ And ‘deleted’ as topics. Having proficient moderators who delete such topics which the members no longer find useful would be good since we aren't allowed to delete topics.

Moderators almost never respond to complaints. I remember complaining about seeing mails but couldn't access them and no matter how many messages I sent moderators or how many topics have been posted concerning this, almost nothing is done most times.

Rule no 8 on nairaland states, don't post false stories on NL but a topic about the death of Gambian president elect was moved to the front page. Many false stories make front page a lot.

Bans
There should be a limit to the length of a ban. I was shocked to see someone was banned for almost 10 years. Is this to discourage users? Such an account cannot be used again and if moderators keep up with this, it's only a matter of time almost everyone would be a guest on nairaland.

I hope you're open to my suggestions. It would be nice to visit nairaland and see some improvement. I would be sad to visit and see a forum that no longer exists.

Best regards.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 2:11am On Jan 05, 2017
You are on a very long thing bro.

Suggestion though, snap a snake, attach to the thread, and appeal to lala to forward this message to the boss.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by thesuave10(m): 2:12am On Jan 05, 2017
"Best regards deathcomestoall" .. damn that sounded like a theat. grin. Some nice observations dear. About the people you were trying to search, my name's pretty easy na cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by IncredibleJoe(m): 2:13am On Jan 05, 2017

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 05, 2017
That's hilarious
MULLAH123:
You are on a very long thing bro.

Suggestion though, snap a snake, attach to the thread, and appeal to lala to forward this message to the boss.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 2:14am On Jan 05, 2017
Lol. Thanks. Trust me it's not easy to search.
thesuave10:
"Best regards deathcomestoall" .. damn that sounded like a theat. grin. Some nice observations dear. About the people you were trying to search, my name's pretty easy na cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by jideflash(m): 2:17am On Jan 05, 2017
good

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by thesuave10(m): 2:17am On Jan 05, 2017
deathcomestoall:
Lol. Thanks. Trust me it's not easy to search.

You're welcome you joined Nairaland pretty late that's last year just like I did. What were reasons, what did you feel nairaland could offer you? Do tell... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 2:22am On Jan 05, 2017
This is why nairaland needs a chat room. I don't want to litter my own thread with my own comments. I want other people's views on the first page. Please bear with me. I won't further this discussion.
thesuave10:

You're welcome you joined Nairaland pretty late that's last year just like I did. What were reasons, what did you feel nairaland could offer you? Do tell... grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Solowande(m): 2:32am On Jan 05, 2017
Words of wisdom. My sister na true talk u talk, u deserve a hug. Those mod really need to big up. Dem nor dey try at all

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by adioolayi(m): 2:51am On Jan 05, 2017
Reasonable suggestions... well done. Seun come and see... bring lalasticlala come

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 3:27am On Jan 05, 2017
Op...Your moniker should be added to the list of proscribable monikers except you have proof that you are from Zambia.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 3:33am On Jan 05, 2017
Ma own problem here in NL is tha IPOB, AFONJAS, ZOMIES, IDGAF CREW, AND SOME MODS that lack etiquette.
NL used to be fun back in the days, matured tooics, matured response, matured advice and comment, matured assistance. Seems age restriction wasnt placed thats why we got to this point. Nowadays someone will kill snake Lalasticlala will take it to FP, anything on OAU or UI fynestboy takes it to front page. But when they see posts tgat are fanning bigotry, hate, nepotism, religuius fanaticism et al, they ignore it. Am sorry to say but seems the mods have no idea what their duty is or seun doesnt have authority over them. Its so unfortunate though. But ibhope seun does the needful soonest cos the buck lies on his table.
I will suggest that religious and politics forums are deleted. The hate its breeding doesnt make sense at all.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by eleojo23: 5:24am On Jan 05, 2017
Observing...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by LadyAnn(f): 5:50am On Jan 05, 2017
Justdulla:
Ma own problem here in NL is tha IPOB, AFONJAS, ZOMIES, IDGAF CREW, AND SOME MODS that lack etiquette.
NL used to be fun back in the days, matured tooics, matured response, matured advice and comment, matured assistance. Seems age restriction wasnt placed thats why we got to this point. Nowadays someone will kill snake Lalasticlala will take it to FP, anything on OAU or UI fynestboy takes it to front page. But when they see posts tgat are fanning bigotry, hate, nepotism, religuius fanaticism et al, they ignore it. Am sorry to say but seems the mods have no idea what their duty is or seun doesnt have authority over them. Its so unfortunate though. But ibhope seun does the needful soonest cos the buck lies on his table.
I will suggest that religious and politics forums are deleted. The hate its breeding doesnt make sense at all.

Very well said and valid points made buddy. I'm an old Skool nairalander like yourself and it's disheartening to see the much loved forum full of rude and divisive young people. The more mature crowd are sadly, reluctant to post informative info for fear of being disrespected by a bunch of morons. That being said, I do feel however, that religion and politics are part of our culture and moral compass and shouldn't be deleted. If I were Sean and his team of moderators, I'd implement a more Stringent approach towards conflict management, mockers and the use of profanities in the forum... too much shade up on this forum.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by TashaGirl: 6:09am On Jan 05, 2017
Seun, this op makes absolutely great sense. You can imagine your mod banning somebody for 1year+ undecided undecided.
The longest ban should be a month and phwwwww. I think your mods operates under personal problem and transfer his aggression here to users.

I can't even edit my profile for now.

I think you should also find a way where banned users can make use of their dairies, you get?

Talk sense to your mod nitori Olorun o so that he won't spoil biz for you.

Op, you make sense. We hope and pray Seun will do something about it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Seun(m): 6:18am On Jan 05, 2017
Thx for your helpful suggestions. I really appreciate them.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by eleojo23: 7:12am On Jan 05, 2017
TashaGirl:
Seun, this op makes absolutely great sense. You can imagine your mod banning somebody for 1year+ undecided undecided.
The longest ban should be a month and phwwwww. I think your mods operates under personal problem and transfer his aggression here to users.

I can't even edit my profile for now.

I think you should also find a way where banned users can make use of their dairies, you get?

Talk sense to your mod nitori Olorun o so that he won't spoil biz for you.

Op, you make sense. We hope and pray Seun will do something about it.

Your own ban na only 1 year plus?
Some people dey on ban now till 2039! grin

Not cool really.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Codedrock(m): 7:46am On Jan 05, 2017
Seun:
Seriously.. ... You didn't close the thread Maybe you are actually changing for the better.. I hope by now you've accepted NL do need some real upgrades...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Seun(m): 7:48am On Jan 05, 2017
Every website needs upgrades. I will continue to try to do the very best that I can to make Nairaland as awesome as it can possibly be.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 8:26am On Jan 05, 2017
The thing tire me o cry Even Mark Zuckerberg is not this strict. And yet his site worth billions of dollars, and he still finds time to play and run with people on the roads. The tyranny of NL admin is far far far too much.

Anyway, its all the Nigerian/African mans mentality. They make a few thousand naira, and suddenly start feeling like they are Gods.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by coolbreezy01: 9:01am On Jan 05, 2017
Awesome improvements there op but cmon no matter what we are humans and we can't please everyone and though nairaland needs improvement the mods are not perfect so it has to be a step at a time I guess.

And about the children on nairaland age control can do the job as long as it is connect with their emails but the matured minds need to reinstate their positions back with matured threads and unnecessary comments deleted

@nnabros comparing nairaland with facebook is uncalled for cause compared to facebook nairaland is still learning.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by SmellingAnus(m): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2017
deathcomestoall:
Members
It's easy to tell the type of members on a forum. Members with childish nicknames such as smellinganus, penisinpenisout, etc., are definitely the wrong kind of members[i][/i]. Members who use good names, write well and present useful Information are the right kind of members.
honestly, I say thanks for your mention.... I have never come accross your moniker prior to your mention of mine... Let me tell you about some of my achievements as an active nairalander in the romance section, which is.... "this my moniker has never been banned before neither have I been involved with exchange of words with the female folks and it will not start today. I have had topics that made front page from the family section and the NYSC section which simply means that I wrote something reasonable enough for it to get to front page..." My humble suggestion for you is that.. you should go through my past posts/comments/Topics then come back here and quote me if I am still a wrong kind of member like you said ... Its just a suggestion.... Finally, thanks for your mention ones again and for your opinions about me being a wrong member for this forum... Have a beautiful life...

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by donjazet(m): 9:54am On Jan 05, 2017
SmellingAnus:
honestly, I say thanks for your mention.... I have never come accross your moniker prior to your mention of mine... Let me tell you about some of my achievements as an active nairalander in the romance section, which is.... "this my moniker has never been banned before neither have I been involved with exchange of words with the female folks and it will not start today. I have had topics that made front page from the family section and the NYSC section which simply means that I wrote something reasonable enough for it to get to front page..." My humble suggestion for you is that.. you should go through my past posts/comments/Topics then come back here and quote me if I am still a wrong kind of member like you said ... Its just a suggestion.... Finally, thanks for your mention ones again and for your opinions about me being a wrong member for this forum... Have a beautiful life...

How would a supposed reasonable person go with the moniker smellinganus and say he is alright?

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by ephi123(f): 10:48am On Jan 05, 2017
It would also be nice to have the options Previous and Next on each thread to switch to the threads before and after the current thread rather than having to go back to the homepage.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 11:46am On Jan 05, 2017
You are welcome
Seun:

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by hammerF: 1:53pm On Jan 05, 2017
Seun:
Every website needs upgrades. I will continue to try to do the very best that I can to make Nairaland as awesome as it can possibly be.

see the link to my account banned including comment collapsed. https://www.nairaland.com/hammert/posts

one of your mods or admin are abusing their power.

i dont know if that person is u, but wat they are doing is not right.

We were talking then one poster started to use ban as threat and black mail.

As u can see i have another moniker but would like to have the other back and this deleted.

Kindly assist, also i think a lady on the thread might have been ban for not responding to their advances.

Me think she is just married with baby, like many of the women here on nairaland. Kindly unban her too.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by hammerF: 2:14pm On Jan 05, 2017
Seun

everybody on nairaland says things that shock and intrigue readers and that is wat makes the site exciting.

alot are mere rhethoric that are not practicable or realistic.(fiction)

on every thread their are two groups, the for and the against. the battleline is drawn and swords drwan. grin

that is the only reason we come back every day. so if i post a comment to shock and intrigue it is for entertainment.

to stimulate and enrage the contenders to post their own comments and before u know it audience are gathered and the thread is a hit.

it is all entertainment and not practicable or personal, people shouldnt be dumb enough to take it personal.

alot of us get bored and go on nairaland.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 05, 2017
Seun:

IN addition

i had started this thread

https://www.nairaland.com/3552193/nairaland-premium

i have been on nairaland for over 10 years.
i am a professional and am in my late thirties

i am becoming increasingly frustrated by the content in nairaland, due to the demographic that is being pursued as a matter of policy.

threads with a business or professional bent are repeatedly destroyed by kids posting 'who e epp?' 'who gives a?' etc

i am sure seun remembers that when he started nairaland, it was a watering hole for intellectuals. today it is simply a playground for kids where serious discourse is pushed to the background.

i understand that nairaland has to make its money.

for this reason i am proposing that seun introduces nairaland premium/pro - value added services on a monthly/yearly subscription basis.

this would include the following

access to topic creation in particular sections eg [business, car sales etal]
ability to block/hide posts of particular posters from your feed/view - this would greatly impact on trolling.
access to some sections like career, jobs etc.

this would go a long way to improving the user experience of older members. it would also help in restoring the reputation of nairaland as a venue for serious discourse, and not tribalism / trolling / unintelligent answers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by amg77: 8:24am On Jan 06, 2017
I work for a US-based advertising agency. We are interested in placing a banner ad for one of our major clients.

While we understand Nairaland's ad placement procedure, the problem is that we need to be able to do 2 things for which there are no allowances made in your ad placement form: 1) add an impression tracker tag to the banner so our clients can log how many impressions are logged of the banner we place; and 2) be able to geotarget the banner to the United States only. This would require being able to place the banner not using a jpeg image but using one of our server banner tags that can be geotargeted from our server so it shows only in the US.

There appears to be no contact email with which to discuss these issues directly, thus we are forced to post this in hopes you will contact me and provide some way to communicate with you.

Thank you in advance. We see the potential to do substantial business if we can work out these issues.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by megareal: 1:30pm On Jan 06, 2017
Thanks Op. I had thought to raise these issues sometime back but thought better of it cause I assumed no-one will listen anywhere. Let's hope 2017 is a better year with Seun and his moderators.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: An Open Letter To Seun Osewa: Nairaland Needs Improvement by afternysc(f): 9:15pm On Jan 06, 2017
Great points. Change must be constant. NL needs upgrade.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

See Cartoon Photo Of Buhari Minister And Bayelsa Fmr Gov Hijacking Ballot Boxes / Nigerian Community Raises Alarm As South African Policemen Kills Nigerian... / Call For Both Your Interior And Exterior Design

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.