Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,316 members, 7,780,770 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:40 PM

Was He Right To Do That - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Was He Right To Do That (2255 Views)

Man Catches His Wife In A Hotel With Man, Says "I Have The Right To Kill You" / A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage / Tope Mark-Odigie: Your Husband Has Right To Do Whatever He Wants With Your Body (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 9:50am On Jan 05, 2017
Hello, N'landers, happy new year to you all. Good to see you all are in one piece.

Straight to the matter; this incident happened recently and I'd like to read your views about it.

A certain cousin of mine stays with her dad's brother, he's actually the one responsible for her well being. She's a 16 year old teenager fresh out of secondary school,I.e 2016.

A certain night(about a week ago), she was up all night with her phone,as in, as at 1a.m she was still awake chatting. The uncle came out to check his phone if it was charging, and found her still chatting, mind you he told her to go to bed long before this. With annoyance, he took the phone from her and checked what she was doing with it. He found out she was chatting with her boyfriend after reading their texts.

Then he began to scold her, asking her who the dude is, she replied him by saying "he's just my sec. School colleague", then she asked her uncle why would he go through her phone and read her private messages, that it's invasion of privacy.

It was God who saved that girl that morning, she almost got the beating of her life.
Now my question is, was he right to go through her phone and was she wrong for saying he didn't have the right to do that. Come on,mates, please 'air' your view.
Re: Was He Right To Do That by Nobody: 9:56am On Jan 05, 2017
*snorts.
Re: Was He Right To Do That by bfeet(m): 10:03am On Jan 05, 2017
As the saying goes, "you should not bite the hand that feeds you". For the sake of her future, she should have kept quiet. After all she was already disobeying her uncle by staying awake to browse. Plus it's not a big deal if he reads her message, the so called boyfriend might end up jilting her any time soon but her uncle still remains her uncle.

13 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by thorpido(m): 10:08am On Jan 05, 2017
A certain cousin of mine stays with her dad's brother, he's actually the one responsible for her well being

The bolded says it all.

6 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by Acidosis(m): 10:13am On Jan 05, 2017
She's f00lish.

7 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 10:26am On Jan 05, 2017
thorpido:
A certain cousin of mine stays with her dad's brother, he's actually the one responsible for her well being

The bolded says it all.

Not to bring the Western culture here but is it right to go through someone's phone, even if the person is your dad or mom. This is something Nigerian parents and guardians refuse to accept.....Privacy!

1 Like

Re: Was He Right To Do That by thorpido(m): 10:37am On Jan 05, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

Not to bring the Western culture here but is it right to go through someone's phone, even if the person is your dad or mom. This is something Nigerian parents and guardians refuse to accept.....Privacy!
How old is she to have such privacy?

6 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 10:51am On Jan 05, 2017
thorpido:
How old is she to have such privacy?

She's 16yrs and like 100 days old. If she's old enough to have a phone, I think she's old enough to have her privacy. Just my view though
Re: Was He Right To Do That by Richy4(m): 11:01am On Jan 05, 2017
He should have confiscated the phone instead of the beating....and deprived her of certain privileges...

She is a teenager and I heard they are too difficult to handle at that stage....

As for checking her phone... He cannot get to the root of the matter without checking her phone... she is not 18 yet....As long as she is his ward and under the shadow of his roof, I see no reason why he shouldn't...

6 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by Nobody: 11:09am On Jan 05, 2017
He has the right to seize her phone, if its my dad, he will do the same if I were 16 but he won't check my messages. Never!

But she shouldn't have asked her uncle that question judging from the fact that she is under his care.

4 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by lilmax(m): 11:17am On Jan 05, 2017
smh..... if person talk now them go tell you say you are backward

but its non of my business

2 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by austinereds(m): 11:31am On Jan 05, 2017
All these small children. No respect at all. see boldness. when she get pregnant let this boldness not fade oh. awon oniranu omokekere. shoooOo.

7 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by thorpido(m): 11:45am On Jan 05, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

She's 16yrs and like 100 days old. If she's old enough to have a phone, I think she's old enough to have her privacy. Just my view though
She most likely didn't buy herself that phone.She's just 16yrs old.At that age,they need serious monitoring else they will get out of control.

4 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by Artistree: 11:11pm On Jan 05, 2017
If there is anything like Mr Right, her uncle wins the title. Who born monkey, that she would be chatting with a boy by 1am? And even had the effrontery to ask why her uncle went through her phone! What insolence, at 16?

8 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by DBestDoc(f): 2:04pm On Jan 06, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

What are you even saying?

Everybody wants to adopt the western parenting styles. By the time you guys are done ruining the lives of our future generations all in the name of privacy, una eyes go clear.

Who and what is she exactly to talk back at her uncle for trying to save her from foolishness?
Did she buy the phone with her money?
Has she ever earned a living?

That girl should be disciplined before it gets out of hands and personally, i'd ban her from using a phone for 1 month.

If she wants privacy and independence, she should hustle and gain admission into the university.

6 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 3:45pm On Jan 06, 2017
DBestDoc:

What are you even saying?

Everybody wants to adopt the western parenting styles. By the time you guys are done ruining the lives of our future generations all in the name of privacy, una eyes go clear.

Who and what is she exactly to talk back at her uncle for trying to save her from foolishness?
Did she buy the phone with her money?
Has she ever earned a living?

That girl should be disciplined before it gets out of hands and personally, i'd ban her from using a phone for 1 month.

If she wants privacy and independence, she should hustle and gain admission into the university.

Yeah, I guess you are right there but you should know things are changing and the old ways won't remain the same forever.
Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 3:47pm On Jan 06, 2017
Catalin:
He has the right to seize her phone, if its my dad, he will do the same if I were 16 but he won't check my messages. Never!

But she shouldn't have asked her uncle that question judging from the fact that she is under his care.

Exactly my thought; He should have just seized the phone and not read her messages too
Re: Was He Right To Do That by NoToPile: 4:22pm On Jan 06, 2017
Lool at privacy, thats why we are having a generation of spoilt children up and down.

I was caught making extra cool (when extracool was extra cool with my alcatel colored screen grin)while I was 17 and already in the university. I was shaking like a bonga fish when he told me to bring the phone, it was not even my guardian oo, my cousin about 15 years older and I dare not say why would you go through my phone.

He actually came back asked who I was talking to by that time I said my friens, he collected the phone checked through my phone dialled the number I called last with his phone and spoke to the person I was talking to and it was a boy, introduced himself as my big brother, asked him some questions and he saved his number on his phone and I heared a long sermon after that sad He made me understand that he was only protecting me and wanted to ensure I wasn't talking to a thirty something year old guy. Well the boy was technically my phone friend.

I can only imagine if I said you have no right to go through my phone, chai chai I cant even imagine what will happen.

What kind of generation are we raising, a child born in year 2000 telling his guardian you can't check my phone? I will use cane to reset her thinking, seize the phone and withdraw privileges.

What nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by Nobody: 2:33pm On Jan 09, 2017
I have learnt not to interfere with all these teenage nephews nieces and cousins.
If u act big, don't come close to my door cos some parents can oblige their own..
Na then they go tell you say na big girl you for no check e phone
Re: Was He Right To Do That by EfemenaXY: 3:01pm On Jan 09, 2017
@op. No, he was very wrong.

Your uncle is a violent brute who thinks subjugation is the way to correct a minor.

He had no right to raise his arms against her, much less beat up someone else's daughter within an inch of her life.

Reckless animal.

1 Like

Re: Was He Right To Do That by jmoore(m): 8:19pm On Jan 09, 2017
Invasion of privacy? Ka m nukwa.

You think this is obodo oyibo? You got no privacy if you ain't the one paying for the house rent. All these small small girls, very soon belle go enter.

@op, please clarify your statement. Was she beaten?
Re: Was He Right To Do That by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 09, 2017
austinereds:
All these small children. No respect at all. see boldness. when she get pregnant let this boldness not fade oh. awon oniranu omokekere. shoooOo.
Don't mind the naughty girl. At that age, he has a right to caution her even if it means checking her phone. Though its not the best. But if she gets into trouble, people will blame him because she is under his roof

2 Likes

Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 3:13pm On Jan 15, 2017
EfemenaXY:
@op. No, he was very wrong.

Your uncle is a violent brute who thinks subjugation is the way to correct a minor.

He had no right to raise his arms against her, much less beat up someone else's daughter within an inch of her life.

Reckless animal.

sorry here. He didn't touch her, he just restrained himself from doing the worst. I typed 'only God that saved her from getting the beating of her life''. I think i didn't put it out well, that's why u misunderstood me. It was 1am
Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 3:17pm On Jan 15, 2017
jmoore:
Invasion of privacy? Ka m nukwa.

You think this is obodo oyibo? You got no privacy if you ain't the one paying for the house rent. All these small small girls, very soon belle go enter.

@op, please clarify your statement. Was she beaten?

Sorry I didn't clarify that. He didnt touch her, he was shocked at her statement. He just shook his head and gave her back her phone. I think he restrained himself because it was 1am in the morning
Re: Was He Right To Do That by NarnieSnyper(m): 3:25pm On Jan 15, 2017
Richy4:
He should have confiscated the phone instead of the beating....and deprived her of certain privileges...

She is a teenager and I heard they are too difficult to handle at that stage....

As for checking her phone... He cannot get to the root of the matter without checking her phone... she is not 18 yet....As long as she is his ward and under the shadow of his roof, I see no reason why he shouldn't...

Apologies, I didn't clarify that; he did not lay a finger on her. He actually gave her back the phone....that's after recovering from the shocking reply
Re: Was He Right To Do That by YesNo(m): 3:52pm On Jan 15, 2017
NarnieSnyper:
Hello, N'landers, happy new year to you all. Good to see you all are in one piece.

Straight to the matter; this incident happened recently and I'd like to read your views about it.

Now my question is, was he right to go through her phone
if you have your sister's son in your care and you suspect that he is watching p0rno on his phone.. will you grab the phone or stand back and be talking of INVASION OF PRIVACY .?

and was she wrong for saying he didn't have the right to do that.

so his job is just to pay school fees, give her bed space & food and get away from her life.? Her wellbeing and moral upbringing is none of his business... right?

Yes he was right (my opinion)

he is working hard to make sure she has a good life and it doesn't end at just paying the school fees and giving her food and bed space. NO it goes beyond that. He has to look out for her and make sure she is morally sound and upright too.

it starts from texting and chatting then gets to pregnancy test... what would you say of such a man if you kept your daughter in his care and she starts getting involved with boys and PROBABLY gets pregnant? and he says he didn't want to INVADE HER PRIVACY... you will say HOW COULD YOU HAVE ALLOWED A SMALL GIRL TO BE CHATTING WITH BOYS. YOU SAW HER AND YOU DIDNT SAY ANYTHING.

judge the matter yourself
Re: Was He Right To Do That by Nobody: 8:36am On Jan 16, 2017
NarnieSnyper:

A certain cousin of mine stays with her dad's brother, he's actually the one responsible for her well being. She's a 16 year old teenager fresh out of secondary school,I.e 2016.

A certain night(about a week ago), she was up all night with her phone,as in, as at 1a.m she was still awake chatting. The uncle came out to check his phone if it was charging, and found her still chatting, mind you he told her to go to bed long before this. With annoyance, he took the phone from her and checked what she was doing with it. He found out she was chatting with her boyfriend after reading their texts.

Then he began to scold her, asking her who the dude is, she replied him by saying "he's just my sec. School colleague", then she asked her uncle why would he go through her phone and read her private messages, that it's invasion of privacy.

It was God who saved that girl that morning, she almost got the beating of her life.
Now my question is, was he right to go through her phone and was she wrong for saying he didn't have the right to do that. Come on,mates, please 'air' your view.
. In my own view he is very right. 1, d said gal is 16 not even up-to 18. 2, d uncle is her benefactor like a father figure.. 3, if anything shld happen who would be blamed owning to d fact dat d gal is not an adult yet.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

She Brought In Another Man To Her Matrimonial House, Her Husband Caught Her / My Sister's Husband Behaves Funny When I'm Around / Which Side Of The Bed Should A Woman Sleep ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.