Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,903 members, 7,802,929 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:49 AM

The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate (11065 Views)

Your Lawyer Is not a Surveyor! / Need A Surveyor In Lagos State / Introduction To The Role And Responsibility Of Solicitors In Property Practice (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by Misterpaul(m): 1:53pm On Jan 11, 2017
Justdulla:

To be professional doesnt mean you should have gone through the rudiments of a regulatory body.
So before this regulatory bodies were formed, werent people practicing their profession??
Dont have this idea that its until you go to law school or others that you become qualified. Come to Abuja, the certificed architects wouldn't be more than 100 in this whole city while the uncertificed(the ones you call non professionals) are in thousands. Yet they are the ones with many years experience making it big time. When your good your good. Forget any regulatory body. Afterall i studied estate management, I have only gone to NIESV office twice in my life. But i still close transactions that the so called certified ones dont close.
When you study as an environmentalist, its your skill that gets you to places not when and where you registered to become professional.
Oga, you are part of the quacks spoiling the real estate profession. Well, you may have been closing "transactions that the so called certified ones dont close", still you remain a quack if you are not certified!

Getting certified shouldn't cost you much since you are already in active practice. Why do we like back door things in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by Aarenasbaba(m): 2:08pm On Jan 11, 2017
odohemma:

Actually, a Surveyor (due to his/her training) is in a better position to set out a building.
However, the OP got it wrong on whose job it is to carry out a soil test. A Geo-technical Engineer is in a better position to carry out a soil test.
Ma brother, I don't agree with that.... we re not talking about d site layout but setting out..
No way
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by appahtimi22: 3:05pm On Jan 11, 2017
troubleshooter:
Wch one is soil test and monitoring again? (no5). After doing a soil test by my structural engineer before foundation construction. You guys are just looking to expand professional job descriptions by encroaching into structural engineering responsibilities? And who pays for it? Same client?
Pls clarify.

Please the number 5 point to be corrected......Not soil test please, its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) i mean.
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by appahtimi22: 3:59pm On Jan 11, 2017
shotuns:
Hi , I'd like to ask what are the documents one needed to ask from a landlord before and after buying a land?
Thanks OP..

Hello,
First and foremost if you are buying the land from the original owner(s) of the land (Family Land), then you request for a receipt to show a proof of payment. Afterwards you contact a Land Surveyor to do the Perimeter survey which you will use to prepare the Deed of Conveyance (DoC). It is the duty of the Landlord to sign that DoC for you. And you keep that document as a proof of ownership of the land.
Second scenario is if you are buying the land from someone who bought from someone else (Resell), you also ask for your receipt. If the person reselling has already done a survey and a DoC of that property, you request for a Deed of Transfer, either you prepare it and give to your landlord to sign or your landlord will do it and hand over to you, it depends on your arrangement. A transfer can only be possible when you change the Title on the Survey plan. E.g Former survey plan title "Mr. Ben John" will change to your name "Mr. Clive James"
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by appahtimi22: 4:09pm On Jan 11, 2017
Justdulla:

Setting out for strip foundation aite. for sumple project bedroom et al
what you should understand is that although estate surveyors are equipped to delve into development phase of the building from sub structure to suoer structure, its not really our duty we are just meant to act as advisers and compliance officers to other professionals.
But even nowadays how many estate surveyors are competent to carry our project management. They rather be looking for land to sell upandan VI just to collect 10percent and go and buy Range Rover... mtscheeew

I think you don't understand what i mean by setting out. It is not about setting strip or raft foundation but about getting the right positioning for your structure. Surveyors are not the builders. And yes, there is what we call monitoring survey, it falls under special surveys in Surveying and Geoinformatics. So you can monitor bridges, road durations, and high scrapper to know the difference and shifts every year or two years.
You don't know it that is why you are responsing this way.

Every professional has their role to play and some may even be interwoven that does not mean the other party is wrong or one is better than the other.
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by appahtimi22: 4:16pm On Jan 11, 2017
Hi,
Thank you all for your criticism, contributions and corrections.
The post here is not to spur quarrel between Professional but to state facts. For No 5 i meant to say EIA (Environmental Impact Assessment) not Soil test.
You cannot be a professional without a regulatory body otherwise you remain a quack as far as am concerned.
Every profession is important and can play different role at different times, sometimes job descriptions maybe interwoven that's all.
Note: Surveyors are not Land Sellers we carry out the perimeter survey of the property, As-built survey as required by the client.

1 Like

Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by troubleshooter: 4:22pm On Jan 11, 2017
appahtimi22:

Please the number 5 point to be corrected......Not soil test please, its Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) i mean.

EIA is usually done before your building approval is granted. And most times by specialized urban planners not your surveyor. The number 5 is outright balderdash. Expunge it.
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by appahtimi22: 7:16pm On Jan 11, 2017
troubleshooter:

EIA is usually done before your building approval is granted. And most times by specialized urban planners not your surveyor. The number 5 is outright balderdash. Expunge it.
We can keep arguing and insulting each other and we will get no where. As I stated earlier our responsibilities can be interwoven that those not make it wrong. Both of us can see this figure "9" and I say it's nine and you say it's six. That doesn't make either person wrong we only see things in different perceptive.
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by shotuns: 1:20am On Jan 12, 2017
Thank so much.
You gave me more than I requested.
You are the bomb!.

quote author=appahtimi22 post=52721306]

Hello,
First and foremost if you are buying the land from the original owner(s) of the land (Family Land), then you request for a receipt to show a proof of payment. Afterwards you contact a Land Surveyor to do the Perimeter survey which you will use to prepare the Deed of Conveyance (DoC). It is the duty of the Landlord to sign that DoC for you. And you keep that document as a proof of ownership of the land.
Second scenario is if you are buying the land from someone who bought from someone else (Resell), you also ask for your receipt. If the person reselling has already done a survey and a DoC of that property, you request for a Deed of Transfer, either you prepare it and give to your landlord to sign or your landlord will do it and hand over to you, it depends on your arrangement. A transfer can only be possible when you change the Title on the Survey plan. E.g Former survey plan title "Mr. Ben John" will change to your name "Mr. Clive James"[/quote]
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by betaessays: 4:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
Re: The Role And Importance Of A Surveyor In Real Estate by Homeyfav: 9:31am On Jul 04, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

COMMERCIAL PLOTS OF LAND FOR SALE BESIDE ABRAHAM ADESANYA.....100%DIRECT / 4bedroom bungalow with 2bedroom flat In Gbetu,awoyaya for sale (with Pics) / Thinking Of Buying Land/house In Abuja, Mowe/ofada, Arepo Off Los/ibd, Agbara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.