Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,983 members, 7,799,352 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? (4395 Views)

Is President Buhari Wearing N7,181,520 Wristwatch? (Photos) / Soyinka: "Why Is President Buhari Hiding His State Of Health?" / Where Is President Buhari? – Fayose (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 7:50am On Jan 11, 2017
Many national leaders; from political leaders to religious leaders have been complaining about the hardships Nigerians are suffering under President Muhammadu Buhari, because of the economic recession. But why are new Nollywood movies breaking box office records at the cinemas in Nigeria at the same time?.
They have made more than N1Billion from the cinemas within two years that Nollywood movies did not make under the so called economic boom of former President Goodluck Jonathan in six years!

More thousands of Nigerians have been paying to see these new Nollywood movies in the midst of the economic recession.
So, if the economy is bad, why are operators of Nigerian cinemas smiling to the banks more than they did before the new government of President Buhari?

"The Wedding Party" alone has made more than N200 million in three weeks at the cinemas!
And the producers spent only N60million.

Check out the following highest grossing Nollywood movies since the election of President Buhari.

The Wedding Party N200,000,000
By Ebonylife Films / FilmOne / Inkblot Production / Koga Studios
Directed by Kemi Adetiba.

A Trip To Jamaica N176,100,000.
By Corporate World Pictures
Directed by Robert Peters.

Fifty N94,030,500
By EbonyLife Films.
Directed by Biyi Bandele.

Wives on Strike N71,300,000
By Dioni Visions.
Directed by Omoni Oboli.

Cheers to President Muhammadu Buhari!

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by lokito: 8:03am On Jan 11, 2017
Buhari has got nothing to do with this. The reason is simply because Nollywood stepped up their game. Everything improved unlike the old, village, igbotic settings movie they used to shoot In Asaba,

Where ghosts will be scared to cross roads.
Someone will wanna commit suicide and shoot himself three times in the head
Patience Ozokwo will put poison in your food, she'll taste it first but won't die
You'll see 20years ago and their dog will still be alive in the movie ABI 20years ago you go even see a poster of VOTE BUHARI 2015

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Atiku2019: 8:05am On Jan 11, 2017
No More Freebies from Federal Government cool
Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by luvinhubby(m): 8:09am On Jan 11, 2017
lokito:
The reason is simply because Nollywood stepped up their game. Everything improved unlike the old, village settings movie they used to shoot In Asaba,

That cracked me up. grin grin grin
Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by jfking2005(m): 8:12am On Jan 11, 2017
lokito:
Buhari has got nothing to do with this. The reason is simply because Nollywood stepped up their game. Everything improved unlike the old, village, igbotic settings movie they used to shoot In Asaba,

Patience Ozokwo will put poison in your food, she'll taste it first but won't die
You'll see 20years ago and their dog will still be alive in the movie ABI 20years ago you go even see a poster of VOTE BUHARI 2015

grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by angeltolly(f): 8:17am On Jan 11, 2017
See question, which Buhari? Hope he knows what Nollywood is lipsrsealed

Why won't they sell, when you produce movie of that quality, why won't it bring profit.

Our intellect have long suffer from Nollywood movies with the nonsense they produce back then. It's now they are applying sense to some of their movies

So when I see reviews from movies like "The wedding party" I simply go for it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 8:19am On Jan 11, 2017
grin cheesy grin cheesy grin cheesy
lokito:

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 8:33am On Jan 11, 2017
lokito:

Then where did the millions of naira thousands of Nigerian movie-goers have spent at the cinemas during the recession come from?
From the clouds?

3 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 8:36am On Jan 11, 2017
angeltolly:

Why won't they sell, when you produce movie of that quality, why won't it bring profit.

Our intellect have long suffer from Nollywood movies with the nonsense they produce back then. It's now they are applying sense to some of their movies

The state of the economy is a big factor in the film industry.
The preference scale is the factor that is more relevant than the quality of new Nollywood movies.

See The Wedding Party defies recession- BusinessDay :
https://www.businessdayonline.com/the-wedding-party-defies-recession/

Social marketing and influential marketing strategies have boosted the public appreciation of the highest grossing Nollywood movies.
Star power pulled crowds to the cinemas.
The Wedding Party has popular influential celebrities playing lead roles.
Adesua Etomi
Banky Wellington
Richard Mofe Damijo
Sola Sobowale
Iretiola Doyle
Alibaba Akporobome
Zainab Balogun
Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by QuotaSystem: 8:47am On Jan 11, 2017
angeltolly:

Box office sales are sourced from the disposable income of Nigerians.

Except it has been Chinese and Australians trooping into our cinemas to watch our local movies, then this indicates that despite the much touted recession, there is a wide band of Nigerians with enough disposable income to throw at the cinemas.

3 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 9:01am On Jan 11, 2017
QuotaSystem:

Box office sales are sourced from the disposable income of Nigerians.

Except it has been Chinese and Australians trooping into our cinemas to watch our Nigerians movies, then this indicates that despite the much touted recession, there is a wide band of Nigerians with enough disposable income to throw at the cinemas.
Thanks for your intelligent comment.
If they don't have the income, they will not troop to the cinemas.
N1500 can make enough soup for a family in Makoko in Lagos.

The Middle Class is bouncing back in Nigeria and boosting the appreciation of well publicised Nollywood movies.

Influential marketing by RMD, Ali Baba and other top stars with thousands of followers on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook attracted their fans to the cinemas.

2 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jan 11, 2017
Orikinla1:
Many national leaders; from political leaders to religious leaders have been complaining about the hardships Nigerians are suffering under President Muhammadu Buhari, because of the economic recession. But why are new Nollywood movies breaking box office records at the cinemas in Nigeria at the same time?.
They have made more than N1Billion from the cinemas within two years that Nollywood movies did not make under the so called economic boom of former President Goodluck Jonathan in six years!

More thousands of Nigerians have been paying to see these new Nollywood movies in the midst of the economic recession.
So, if the economy is bad, why are operators of Nigerian cinemas smiling to the banks more than they did before the new government of President Buhari?

"The Wedding Party" alone has made more than N200 million in three weeks at the cinemas!
And the producers spent only N60million.

Check out the following highest grossing Nollywood movies since the election of President Buhari.

The Wedding Party N200,000,000
By Ebonylife Films / FilmOne / Inkblot Production / Koga Studios
Directed by Kemi Adetiba.

A Trip To Jamaica N176,100,000.
By Corporate World Pictures
Directed by Robert Peters.

Fifty N94,030,500
By EbonyLife Films.
Directed by Biyi Bandele.

Wives on Strike N71,300,000
By Dioni Visions.
Directed by Omoni Oboli.

Cheers to President Muhammadu Buhari!
PMB didn't do anything instead most Nigerians go to such cinemas to cool off and forget the stress.So leave PMB out of it because these producers are working round the clock to please their audience.

5 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 9:12am On Jan 11, 2017
Orikinla1:

Then where did the millions of naira thousands of Nigerian movie-goers have spent at the cinemas during the recession come from?
From the clouds?
How do a business man get money to finance his project?
Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Eazybay(m): 9:22am On Jan 11, 2017
Well just like saying d bars and clubs are full because dea is no recession!

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by DecemberIV: 9:24am On Jan 11, 2017
asuustrike2009:

How do a business man get money to finance his project?

Are you now suggesting that cinema goers borrow money from banks or sell shares before they can afford to pay for their movie tickets?

May your hatred for Buhari not consume you.

2 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 9:27am On Jan 11, 2017
DecemberIV:

Are you now suggesting that cinema goers borrow money from banks or sell shares before they can afford to pay for their movie tickets?

Na u heh go consume? Don't you see top organizations like banks,telecom operators like Glo sponsor such movies? What has buhari got do with private business?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by QuotaSystem: 9:29am On Jan 11, 2017
Eazybay:
Well just like saying d bars and clubs are full because dea is no recession!

It means the extent of the recession is exaggerated if you still have thousands of people across Nigeria with enough disposable income trooping to the club's every weekend, some to spend over 30k on each bottle of Hennessey.

2 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 9:36am On Jan 11, 2017
DecemberIV:

Don't mind him.
If the economic climate is not good, how will business flourish?

2 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by DecemberIV: 9:39am On Jan 11, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Na u heh go consume? Don't you see top organizations like banks,telecom operators like Glo sponsor such movies? What has buhari got do with private business?

Did you even read the OP? Are the movies shown for free in the cinemas or do Nigerians pay to watch them with their disposable income?

Stop pretending to be incurably daft. Your hatred for Buhari is dissolving your brain.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 9:41am On Jan 11, 2017
QuotaSystem:

It means the extent of the recession is exaggerated if you still have thousands of people across Nigeria with enough disposable income trooping to the club's every weekend, some to spend over 30k on each bottle of Hennessey.

The economic facts are:
The traders of foodstuffs are making money. Because of good harvest.

Federal government is paying salaries of workers.

State governments are paying their workers.

Middle class Nigerians are having more disposable and expendable incomes.

The informal sector is booming.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by homesteady(m): 9:44am On Jan 11, 2017
Orikinla1, to say I'm highly ashamed that this rubbish could come out of you would be an understatement!

This is highly disappointing! How dare you try to share the glory between the producers and the government? All credits must go to the Directors and producers of these movies and not to some stupid government! Nollywood is coming of age, that's why they recorded massive cinema returns!

You should be blaming the government induced recession for reducing the profits these movies would have made!
Don't you know that the increased prices of everything in this country would also affect their budget?
Don't you think that more people would have trooped in to watch these movies if not for recession?

Besides what policy has Buhari made towards supporting the industry? I have never heard of him saying anything about Nollywood! I'm not holding any brief for Jonathan, but the loan system he set up with the Bank of Industry helped Kunle Afolayan to shoot his CEO movie!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by DecemberIV: 9:44am On Jan 11, 2017
Flat_head = flatbrain from the evidence on this thread.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 9:46am On Jan 11, 2017
DecemberIV:

Are the movies shown for free or do Nigerians pay to watch them with their disposable income?

Stop pretending to be incurably daft.
Same with you if you can't reason and ask question without insults.
The movies are not free and the disposal income are coming from the set of Nigerians.The question you should have ask how come they suddenly start spending their money on watching local movies? What major factor prompt them to switch to local movies? How did the producers source for money to embark on such project? These are questions you should have asked without bringing PMB or insults.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Eazybay(m): 9:49am On Jan 11, 2017
QuotaSystem:

God will judge u harshly 4 dis dumb statement!! How many ppl dea have families depending on dem? Ppl break d bank just to feel among and u are saying trash! Myself for example, I can't purchase equipment 4 my biz cos it was 220 b4 but now 510k, not to talk of fuel and foodstuff (its a food processing biz). I try to pay my parents rent cos dad has bin laid off. Their bill just 4 light per month is 11k or more even in d darkest month. D govt will still come to stifle me wif tax making expansion plans difficult, I know what I made last 2yrs.. Abg just stop trying to paint dis bleak picture bright..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by adconline(m): 9:52am On Jan 11, 2017
DecemberIV:

What a display of congenital idiocy! We are talking about a shrinking economy of about $400bn in recession and you're using box office sales of N200m to measure the impact of rhis recession. Do you know how many SME businesses in Naija that used to do N200m in sales in a year that have gone bankrupt since this recession??

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by QuotaSystem: 10:02am On Jan 11, 2017
Eazybay:

God will judge u harshly 4 dis dumb statement!! How many ppl dea have families depending on dem? Ppl break d bank just to feel among and u are saying trash! Myself for example, I can't purchase equipment 4 my biz cos it was 220 b4 but now 510k, not to talk of fuel and foodstuff (its a food processing biz). I try to pay my parents rent cos dad has bin laid off. Their bill just 4 light per month is 11k or more even in d darkest month. D govt will still come to stifle me wif tax making expansion plans difficult, I know what I made last 2yrs.. Abg just stop trying to paint dis bleak picture bright..

First of all, may God forgive you for seeking his judgment upon the innocent, as you have just prematurely done without understanding my perspective.

Brother it's different strokes for different folks. If you examine the situation dispassionately, the fact remains that there remains a significant number of Nigerians with enough disposable income to spend in movie theatres as the sales numbers provided by the OP clearly indicates. It is a fact that cinemas are sold out on "the wedding party" for instance. I even stumbled on a joke yesterday on Instagram where someone was begging those that have been going to see the multiple times to wait till others that have never seen it get a chance. Such is the scramble to spend disposable income by a wide band of Nigerians, which is why I stated that the effects of the recession is most times exaggerated. Take a trip to Play, the Bank, Quilox, Cubana etc any Friday and this fact will become even clearer.

I understand how this might not make sense to you in view of the challenges you are facing as outlined, but numbers can be very stubborn.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by razid: 10:16am On Jan 11, 2017
I can see people here trying to rationalize and justify why PMB should not lay claim to any credit for this feat. However, one will be surprised that it is the same people that will be blaming him were the opposite to occur. Imagine those cinemas recording low turnout or losses, everyone would have been calling for the president's head.

That is human being for you.

Abeg Ebenezer Obey tell them jare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPlk0WIlrgI

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by DecemberIV: 10:21am On Jan 11, 2017
asuustrike2009:

Same with you if you can't reason and ask question without insults.
The movies are not free and the disposal income are coming from the set of Nigerians.The question you should have ask how come they suddenly start spending their money on watching local movies? What major factor prompt them to switch to local movies? How did the producers source for money to embark on such project? These are questions you should have asked without bringing PMB or insults.

Are you again suggesting that the cost of watching a foreign movie in the cinema is different from the cost of watching a local one? What links the disposable income of movie goers with the mode of finance that producers use?

The quality of your argument is simply appalling and I'd rather you don't mention me any further.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Nobody: 10:25am On Jan 11, 2017
DecemberIV:

Are you again suggesting that the cost of watching a foreign movie in the cinema is different from the cost of watching a local one? What links the disposable income of movie goers with the mode of finance that producers use?

The quality of your argument is simply appalling and I'd rather you don't mention me any further.
You're only implying.The main reason why the sudden demand for local movies is because local movies has improved. What links excess profit with investment?
Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by DecemberIV: 10:32am On Jan 11, 2017
adconline:

What a display of congenital idiocy! We are talking about a shrinking economy of about $400bn in recession and you're using box office sales of N200m to measure the impact of rhis recession. Do you know how many SME businesses in Naija that used to do N200m in sales in a year that have gone bankrupt since this recession??

I didn't expect any hereditary cerebral handicap you seemingly have will blur the point being made by the OP that a wide band of Nigerians still have enough disposable income to throw at movie theaters despite the economic contraction, as indicated by the over N1b grossing from box office sales in the last two years, a feat never achieved under the previous administration. A recession is simply an economic term that indicates two consecutive negative growth periods in an economy and nobody has denied that on this thread.

2 Likes

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by Orikinla1: 10:33am On Jan 11, 2017
Eazybay:

But others are making remarkable incomes like the filmmakers.

1 Like

Re: Is President Buhari The Reason Why Nollywood Is Beating The Recession? by owobokiri(m): 10:35am On Jan 11, 2017
Buhari only tried suppourting that thing they call "kanniwood" or so.. You guys should give it a rest.. This was the same guy that wanted to biuld a film village in the north untill the muslim leaders there kicked against it.. That was the end of the project. He didnt even try biulding anything remotely close down south for nollywood. . . Jonathan used to travel around Africa with nollywood stars and Naija musicians to attract attaention to them knowing fully well that when they earn in foreign currencies out there and bring that home, that means Niaja gains some. But the sardonic character there now that you are busy trumpeting his fake credentials will never try such, since he feels so deified to move around with mortals. Buhari helped with nothing! It is just a matter of hardworking folks making progress on thier own against institutional challenges represented in the main by an empty presidency!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Trump's Newly Approved Tax Reform Will Affect Nigeria? / 2019 Presidency: EFCC, Police In Secret Pact To Destabilize PDP States – Secondu / Watch How Ex-governor Tinubu Arrived 1st Day In Office 1999.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.