Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account (16110 Views)

Investigate How Ekweremadu Acquired 32 Choice Properties" - Umezulike / EFCC Finds $86m Paris Club Refund In Ngf’s Account / EFCC Arraigns Innocent Azubike Umezulike For False Declaration Of Assets (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by yns4real: 6:32am On Jan 12, 2017
Detectives have traced over N632.2million to former Enugu State Chief Judge Innocent Azubuike Umezulike’s account.

Some of the lodgements came from lawyers, businessmen, politicians and litigants, an Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) source said yesterday.

Besides, Justice Umezulike is believed to have been operating an account without a Bank Verification Number (BVN).

Three properties allocated to the ex-CJ may be confiscated, The Nation learnt.

The former Chief Judge has been invited for interrogation on January 17 on some of the “shocking” lodgments.

It was learnt that the ongoing probe of the judge followed petitions against him, including some sent to the National Judicial Council (NJC).

The NJC on September 29, 2016 recommended Justice Umezulike for compulsory retirement alongside Justice Mohammed Tsamiya, who was the Presiding Justice of the Ilorin Division of the Court of Appeal

Justice Kabiru Auta of Kano State High Court was recommended for dismissal.

The NJC said it recommended Umezulike to Governor Justice Lawrence Ugwuanyi of Enugu State for compulsory retirement for “delivering judgment in a case 126 days after final addresses were adopted by parties, and for other instances of abuse of office”.

He has since been retired.

The council also found Justice Umezulike guilty of allegedly “receiving a donation of N10m from a businessman, Prince Arthur Eze, during his book launch while two cases in which Eze was said to have had “vested interest”, were in the judge’s court.”

There appears to be more trouble for Justice Umezulike, going by the preliminary investigation of EFCC detectives.

A highly-placed source, said: “From the probe of the salary account of the judge with the main branch of First Bank Plc in Enugu, our team discovered that he was operating it without a BVN as at June 2016.

“Further verification showed that he was earning N701, 726. 28 per month but he did not make any single withdrawal for 11 months.

“When we analysed an account linked to the judge, the turnover was about N396, 544.034.73 with a closing balance of N632.223.47 as at 15th of June 2016.”

Responding to a question, the source said: “We were able to identify how lodgments were made into the account linked to Justice Umezulike.

“The depositors included Justice Umezulike, legal practitioners, businessmen, politicians and litigants. The judge invested most of the cash in Treasury Bills.”

As at press time, there were indications that some assets identified with the judge might be seized by the EFCC, pending the conclusion of its investigation – in line with sections 28 and 34 of the EFCC (Establishment Act) 2004 and Section 13(1) of the Federal High Court Act, 2004.

The source added: “Our detectives uncovered three properties allocated to the ex-CJ by the Enugu State Government. These are:

Plot H/136 Golf Phase II, Enugu allocated in 2000 but sold to Mr. J.I. Chime in 2007 who subsequently sold it to Cosmas Offia in 2008;
Block B2 Flat 16 Maryland Estate, Enugu allocated in 2012 Sold to Igwe Goddy Moore; and
Plot H/88 Gold Estate Phase I, GRA Enugu allocated in 2015 which is still in the judge’s possession.

Justice Umezulike is likely to report to the Port Harcourt Zonal Office of the EFCC.

Detectives tried but failed to obtain the Assets Declaration Form of the ex-CJ from the Code of Conduct Bureau.

“We may however place the properties located so far under temporary asset forfeiture.”

Sections 28 and 34 of the EFCC (Establishment Act) 2004 and Section 13(1) of the Federal High Court Act, 2004 empower the anti-graft agency to invoke Interim Assets Forfeiture Clause.

“Section 28 of the EFCC Act reads: ‘Where a person is arrested for an offence under this Act, the Commission shall immediately trace and attach all the assets and properties of the person acquired as a result of such economic or financial crime and shall thereafter cause to be obtained an interim attachment order from the Court.’

Section 13 of the Federal High Court Act reads in part: “The Court may grant an injunction or appoint a receiver by an interlocutory order in all cases in which it appears to the Court to be just or convenient so to do.

(2) “Any such order may be made either unconditionally or on such terms and conditions as the Court thinks just.”

http://thenationonlineng.net/efcc-finds-n632-2m-ex-chief-judges-account/

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by sarrki(m): 6:39am On Jan 12, 2017
If not for this strong and sincere man,

Incorruptible president we wouldn't have known this

My people this is one judge oooo how much millions of civil servants that are corrupt both at state , local got and federal level

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by profhezekiah: 6:45am On Jan 12, 2017
chaiiii not again

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Chiefpriest1(m): 6:46am On Jan 12, 2017
This country is seriously messed up if this is true. A corrupt judge is worse than 10 Aninis put together.

However, I do not support trial of suspects in the media. Let us begin to hear about convictions in high-profile cases.

Once the papers call you a thief, you can never be clean even if you are eventually found to be innocent.

Obj successfully did this to many of his opponents in his days.

8 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by duduade: 6:47am On Jan 12, 2017
Almost a Billion naira ni yen....

God when will I have such in my account

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by klassykute(m): 6:47am On Jan 12, 2017
isorite
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by sarrki(m): 6:48am On Jan 12, 2017
This kind of news boost the morale of wailers

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Mynd44: 6:51am On Jan 12, 2017
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by temitemi1(m): 6:51am On Jan 12, 2017
i smell propaganda undecided

5 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by ChappyChase: 6:59am On Jan 12, 2017
sarrki:

My people this is one judge oooo how much millions of civil servants that are corrupt both at state , local got and federal level
Abeg you help find where all these money wey EFCC dey cease dey enter(that's if they are not lyin) Abi bubu go just dump the money for him wife and aids cause me no dey see the impact o...

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by KahlDrogo(m): 7:07am On Jan 12, 2017
How on earth can a chief judge justify having such an amount in his account? Was he practicing in heaven?

7 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Flyingngel(m): 7:14am On Jan 12, 2017
When u see them in dark tinted cars, you think they r upright not knowing that they r busy selling judgements inside d car.

10 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Raphael81(m): 7:19am On Jan 12, 2017
They should leave our brother alone, he has been saving the money all thru his life biko shocked by the way, it is not even up to half of Bro Dasuki's savings

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by yns4real: 7:21am On Jan 12, 2017
Flyingngel:
When u see them in dark tinted cars, you think they r upright not knowing that they r busy selling judgements inside d car.

You are very correct! Nigerian Judiciary needs urgent total cleasing and dramatic reforms to play the role of last hope for the weak and the oppressed.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Flyingngel(m): 7:24am On Jan 12, 2017
yns4real post:

You are very correct! Nigerian Judiciary needs urgent total cleasing and dramatic reforms to play the role of last hope for the weak and the oppressed.

Yea, we need total cleansing.
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by llade(m): 7:51am On Jan 12, 2017
Hope d efcc is not insinuating dat as a civil servant one shud only earn salary and allowances til retirement. D constitution allows farming and investment, so estimating d true worth of a civil servant only by his salary and allowances is myopic. In clear cases where assets were acquired thru ill gotten wealth, d law of d land shud be wielded on such erring civil servant.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Hollysaint: 7:52am On Jan 12, 2017
who is releasing this news to the public?how are we sure that this was not released to manipulate public opinion to favour the govt?why not charge justice umezurike to court if he has breached the law? why the character assasination? is the security agencies now working to to bring praise to apc govt instead of doing their job? is this aimed to distract us from recession?

3 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by slimfit1(m): 7:55am On Jan 12, 2017
So how are we supposed to fight corruption when the judges are selling judgement.
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Stalwert: 7:55am On Jan 12, 2017
[s]
llade:
Hooe d efcc is not insinuating dat as a civil servant one shud only earn salary and allowances til retirement. D constitution allows farming and investment, so estimating d true worth of a civil servant only by his salary and allowances is myopic. In clear cases where assets were acquired thru ill gotten wealth, d law of d land shud be wielded on such erring civil servant.
[/s]

You obviously didn't read where litigants were paying money into the judge account. If na poor man now you go dey call for jungle justice.

6 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by GMBuhari: 8:29am On Jan 12, 2017
Na dem dem
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by jumpandpas(m): 8:31am On Jan 12, 2017
sarrki:

If a judge have #1 billion in his account so what?
You think that everybody is Buhari that didn't go to school and cannot invest to make more money?
Your President's wife is wearing wrist watch of #24mil how much do you think she will have in her account b4 she leaves office?.

Only a fool will see #1bill in a judge's account and start shouting corruption. My uncle is a lawyer in Abia state and he is also into real estate etc. As i speak now, he has estates in London where he was brought up, one of his property in Dubai is valued at #2.3bil. The guy knows how to invest and he inspired me a lot.
I am sure, if he becomes a judge tomorrow you will shout corruption by the time you see his account balance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by TANKDESTROYER(m): 9:58am On Jan 12, 2017
Not again

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by LastSurvivor11: 9:58am On Jan 12, 2017
#632m or is it #632b

I don't think it's too much for a judge that has other means of survival..

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by CXLVII: 9:58am On Jan 12, 2017
Blood of Chris Brown!

Can this be true?
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by MrGreenMavro: 9:59am On Jan 12, 2017
wink
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Moreoffaith(m): 9:59am On Jan 12, 2017
The man dey sell rice now how e no go get that kind money for account.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by enemyofprogress: 9:59am On Jan 12, 2017
Blood money
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Flexherbal(m): 10:00am On Jan 12, 2017
Dem don finish Nigeria money.
Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by benueguy(m): 10:00am On Jan 12, 2017
I'm tired of all these useless headlines... What have they been doing with all these recovered monies? Useless agencies

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Wiseandtrue(f): 10:01am On Jan 12, 2017
sarrki:

This your paymaster fight against corruption is not reflecting on Nigerians

Its one sided if you doubt me ask those that hung the broom on their doorpost

PMB is a SCAM

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by Benjom(m): 10:03am On Jan 12, 2017
Only? grin

1 Like

Re: EFCC Finds N632.2m In Azubuike Umezulike’s Account by rusher14: 10:04am On Jan 12, 2017
llade:
Hooe d efcc is not insinuating dat as a civil servant one shud only earn salary and allowances til retirement. D constitution allows farming and investment, so estimating d true worth of a civil servant only by his salary and allowances is myopic. In clear cases where assets were acquired thru ill gotten wealth, d law of d land shud be wielded on such erring civil servant.
You missed where deposits were made by litigants, lawyers and same judge.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UNGA74: President Buhari Addressing UN Today (Photos, Video) / I Won’t Govern From Dubai, Tinubu Mocks Atiku / David Malpass Commends President Tinubu's Economic Policies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.