Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,514 members, 7,808,877 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:26 PM

Learn How To Never Misspell (or Mispell?) Any Word Again! - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Learn How To Never Misspell (or Mispell?) Any Word Again! (629 Views)

How Do You Always Feel When Someone Misspell A Word? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Learn How To Never Misspell (or Mispell?) Any Word Again! by Olamilekan08(m): 3:52pm On Jan 16, 2017
Most peoples, especially non native speakers, are guilty of misspelling some English words. This words are most commonly misspelled when on a hot seat, where examiners would add to the confusion by making all but one of the options seems correct. OK, fill in the followings from the given options:
1. I have the……that one day this country will be great. a. Belief b.Beleif. c. Beleive d. Believe
2. For this test, you need two …… of papers a. Peices b. Pieces c. Piceas d. Peceis
3. Your …….. skills thrive on meeting a challenge. a. Entrepreneurial b. Enterpreneurial c. Entreprineurial d. Enterpreniurial
Just three questions, but I can bet, only 40% or less, can answer the three correctly! Some would say “I don’t need to worry about this when I have’auto correction’ or ‘word suggestion’ on my device. Well, as students, I guarantee you won’t take your device with you into the exam hall. So, read on for my tips or suggestions on how to determine the correct spelling of most commonly misspelled words.
1. To chose the correct answer, some would recall this line, ‘Never belie ve a lie’ ! Belief is used for religious or cultural topics. In fact, doesn’t that ‘f’ stand for faith or fate? As for me, I have faith in my religious beliefs!
2. Here, some remember “give me a
pie ce of the pie ”
3. This is what always remind me of the correct spelling: “present ur new entrance ticket, please”. You can add …’for the material’ if you have any problem on the last three letters. A critical look at the above line will also tell you about entrepreneur and entrepreneurship.
A few more words, is it: millionaire (or millioniare?), auxilliary (or auxiliary?), ocassion (or occasion?), hippopotamus (or hippopotemus?), …book appendixes (or appendices?), embarrassment (or embarassment?), harasment (or harassment)? Commitment (or committment?)
For millionaire, I say “their e yes can see millions in the air”!
Auxiliary… My aunt is a liar! She is not an auxiliary teacher.
Occasion, I place emphasis on the ‘cc’ (which is true) so I replace the ‘cc’ with a ‘K’ and this tells me it’s double ‘c’.
Hippopotamus, “hippo in the pot is amusing”. Actually see the live animal in your, or a gigantic pot!
Appendixes, use interchangeably with appendices as a plural of the parts of books. However, the only right word for plural of the anatomical or vestigial part is Appendixes. See the ‘x’ as the shape of scissors use by the doctors to perform appendectomy. The content of the question will add to the clue.
Embarrassment, write the spelling like this ” embaRRaSSment” focus on it for a few seconds and you will never misspell it next time.
Harassment, …”he r dre ss was too revealing ” or …”her ass is too big”. See endnote. Sexual harassment is a great crime! You have no defence should you commit such act.
And commitment? NO! I can’t commit such crime at the moment! Maybe no resemblance with the actual meaning of commiTment and no time is right to coMMit a crime though.
Feel free to share. Thanks!
Note: please don’t take any word personal or offensive, they are mere imaginative words. Thanks.
Re: Learn How To Never Misspell (or Mispell?) Any Word Again! by Olamilekan08(m): 3:54pm On Jan 16, 2017

(1) (Reply)

Does Money Make Us Happy?(the True Fact About Happiness) / Nigeria Falls To 26th Position In Best-performing Institutions In Africa / Have You Seen Your Jamb Results?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.