Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? (30906 Views)

Big Whatsapp Feature Now Rolling Out: How It Will Change The Way You Chat (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by zumen(m): 2:07am On Jan 17, 2017
You might remember that Facebook acquired WhatsApp for $16 billion on February 19 2014, its largest acquisition to date.

On January 13th 2017, the Guardian published an article alleging the presence of a security backdoor in the messaging platform, which would allow Facebook and government agencies to snoop on users messages.

WhatsApp responded with a statement that the company “does not give governments a ‘backdoor’ into its systems” and would fight any government request to create a backdoor.

The Verge also claims the Guardian piece describes an advanced but plausible attack that WhatsApp encryption can’t stop. An attacker could actually get access to a WhatsApp server, forcibly reset the keys used to encrypt messages and intercept any further messages sent between parties.

Thankfully, there is no known attacker at the moment that has the level of skill to pull it off. Frederic Jacobs, who was an iOS developer at Open Whisper Systems — the company behind the technology WhatsApp’s uses for encryption — has dismissed the threat as nothing new.

Apparently, the backdoor described by the Guardian is a feature ‘working as intended’. It would require significant collaboration with Facebook to be able to snoop on and intercept someones encrypted messages.

However with all the stated facts that have been laid down, it appears there is actually a hidden plan to have a backdoor and it is possible for any individual with good knowledge of what he/she is doing to access encrypted end-to-end messages, even if Facebook wouldn’t do that

This feature should either be improved on, to reduce vulnerability, or removed entirely to avoid embarrassment and loss of users in the long run.

http://iqvibes.com/could-this-newly-discovered-whatsapp-feature-enable-anyone-to-spy-on-you/

1 Like

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by matrix199(m): 5:49am On Jan 17, 2017
If that's the case, people should start chatting in "tongues" to spiritually encrypt their chats.

51 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by hakinsbbstar: 6:15am On Jan 17, 2017
Oshis ko

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Kvistpublishing: 7:05am On Jan 17, 2017
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:05am On Jan 17, 2017
Spy on you that you are president of a first world nation abi

13 Likes

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by NLorubebe(m): 7:05am On Jan 17, 2017
angry

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by DJEhimond(m): 7:06am On Jan 17, 2017
Ok
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by ameezy(m): 7:07am On Jan 17, 2017
angry
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by NinaArsenal(f): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2017
lipsrsealed
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by ArabMopol(m): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2017
i blame EDIOTIC Buhari

8 Likes

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by mohince(m): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2017
Who whatsapp epp
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by mohince(m): 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
Who whatsapp epp..... Idgaf about whatsapp
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by QuietHammer(m): 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
I don't understand what I just read

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Histrings08(m): 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
matrix199:
If that's the case, people should start chatting in "tongues" to spiritually encrypt their chats.
kikikikiki... Wc one is chatting in tongues?
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by 2shur: 7:12am On Jan 17, 2017
abegi.
do we have public wifi
do we af steady light
abegi.
all those dagbo/system reformat 1005 naira sortware engineers we have here in naija.
abegi

e go jus crash like mmm.
e nor fit work abegi

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:13am On Jan 17, 2017
Hunnnm ok ooo
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by wayne4loan: 7:13am On Jan 17, 2017
.m
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by daneni1(m): 7:14am On Jan 17, 2017
ArabMopol:
i blame EDIOTIC Buhari
Continue......

1 Like

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by ArabMopol(m): 7:15am On Jan 17, 2017
daneni1:

Continue......
exactly
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by elfico(m): 7:16am On Jan 17, 2017
The moment Facebook acquired them, I knew issues would start surfacing. Whats the use of encrypting messages then if someone has a backdoor access.?
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by mhisbliss(f): 7:18am On Jan 17, 2017
you've to be bin laden for government officials to spy on you
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Nobody: 7:19am On Jan 17, 2017
I hv no secrets to hide...so i dont care if some1 spys on me or whatever sad
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by BLACKbullet: 7:20am On Jan 17, 2017
what is the newly discovered feature in in this your writeup. I can't see any

3 Likes

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Rexnegro(m): 7:20am On Jan 17, 2017
matrix199:
this is Why bbm is the best. no last seen that causes jealousy, bbm encryption has never Being hacked And can't be hacked. rim did a Good job that's Why some world leaders Are using BlackBerry Phone for their chatting. The only advantage whatsapp has is The cross platform of a thing aside That I pick bbm anyday anytime to whatsapp

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by okhiai1(m): 7:21am On Jan 17, 2017
any tech savvy person that believes that Facebook does not give access to the government is just outright dumb

5 Likes

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by NotNairalandi(m): 7:23am On Jan 17, 2017
im glad i didnt type anything
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by MrGreenMavro: 7:26am On Jan 17, 2017
hmm
Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by chibuike107: 7:27am On Jan 17, 2017
Wish some one will jst open a forum like nairaland that will look like facebook,,,,I will just install everything that has to do with Facebook!!!!!all this white people wa go da there country da make money for person head!

1 Like

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Nobody: 7:27am On Jan 17, 2017
Nothing is hidden under digital age.

1 Like

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by Almubarak5: 7:27am On Jan 17, 2017
Now I see some people saying that we can talk in tongues.... I can now realize that Nigerians are illiterates and don't realise the usefulness and delicacy of social networks. WhatsApp has over a billion users and just because you use it to toast ladies and get bet9ja games doesn't mean lots of sensitive information are not passing on through it. If you have access to these servers and see the messages sent through them... You'll wish we never have this kind of things....

3 Likes

Re: Could This ‘newly Discovered’ Whatsapp Feature Enable Anyone To Spy On You? by chibuike107: 7:28am On Jan 17, 2017
Wish some one will jst open a forum like nairaland that will look like facebook,,,,I will just uninstall everything that has to do with Facebook!!!!!all this white people wa go da there country da make money for person head!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Yes!!!!!!!!! You Can Now Play Pes 2013 Ppsspp Android Adhoc Multiplayer. Rep#tka / The Price Of 500MB Of Mobile Data In Nigeria & Across The World / Apple Releases The New Awesome Red Colour Of Iphone 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.