Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake (28296 Views)

Points to note before sending out your CV to a recruiter / Interview Etiquette 101: My Personal Experience As A Recruiter / How To Answer ''Tell Us About Yourself'' When A Recruiter Asks You (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by nmreports: 6:51am On Jan 17, 2017
The world especially Africa is increasingly getting more organized, more receptive of the "right way" of doing things and while this may seem unimportant to us in this part of the world, they are the things that HR Administrators, business owners, professionals, investors look out for when meeting with you for the first time.

They want to know if you are professional, strong, hospitable and you can be committed with some of their trust. Nothing is free so throw away the entitltlement mentality and get better.
We must strive to continually improve as professionals and one of the ways to be recognized as one is when our actions convey the same.

There are basically four types of handshakes:

1. The limp handshake:
This is the one commonly used by females when you want to shake each other. It looks like an hesitant kind of handshake where only the tip of the four last fingers except the thumb are used.
It says "Hey, I don't want to shake you, but have some of my fingers". You should by all means avoid this type of handshake.

Curve your fingers like you want to pick something then excuse your thumb. That's what it looks like.

2. The hard-long handshake:
The hard-long handshake is the type where you are trying to look and shake hands professionally but in the process miscalculated the time and you start to jerk the persons hand harder and longer than needed.
It is not only annoying but it shows that you might be nervous or full of anxiety.

NOTE: Shaking hands properly is one way to appear valuable in an interview? So read how to appear valuable to a recruiter here: http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/how-to-appear-valuable-to-every-human.html

3. The pull-forward handshake:
How many of us has seen Trump shake hands? No one would want to experience such because I myself imagine my arms flying off my body. We may want to excuse him because he is a billionaire and elected president of USA but trust me it's not right to shake hands that way.

You stretch your hands to greet someone and the next he does is to pull you forward so strongly your entire body moves.

4. The firm handshake:
The firm handshake is the one that only lasts for about 3 seconds. Where the bottom at the curve between your thumb and fore finger touches the other persons own, is strong enough to show anticipation and kindness and it lasts for about 3 seconds.

Ensure that you look the person in the eye, have a welcoming countenance usually with a smile and shake firmly with your hands straight then withdraw.

Source: www.HRtechnique.com

Cc: Mynd44 morning.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by nmreports: 7:00am On Jan 17, 2017
We hope you find it useful.
How To Appear Valuable To A Recruiter:
http://www.hrtechnique.com/2016/12/how-to-appear-valuable-to-every-human.html

4 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by kabayomi(m): 7:05am On Jan 17, 2017
Ok sir ppp
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by kabayomi(m): 7:06am On Jan 17, 2017
Ok sir, this better get me my next job or else....

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by pinkcottoncandy: 7:06am On Jan 17, 2017
For women...Grip the hand like you would grip blokossmiley

6 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by adami48(f): 7:07am On Jan 17, 2017
U e should have atlist attached some pictures to it
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by NLorubebe(m): 7:07am On Jan 17, 2017
angry
Wetin we no go see for NL angry next is how to eat fufu without soup angry

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by baset36(m): 7:07am On Jan 17, 2017
NYC 1
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Rexnegro(m): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2017
thanks op
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by joliyp(f): 7:09am On Jan 17, 2017
pic or ......i dnt .....
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Nobody: 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
What about Knuckle Chopping? grin

21 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by emsco(m): 7:10am On Jan 17, 2017
So this one will guarantee employment

4 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Scatterscatter(m): 7:11am On Jan 17, 2017
Chop knuckle kinda shake nko

1 Like

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Benjom(m): 7:11am On Jan 17, 2017
Good effort

But before you make it to the interview you need a good CV. Pattern yours after these samples: www..com/cv-samples/

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by adewumiopeyemi(m): 7:12am On Jan 17, 2017
Ok
Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Standardcosting(m): 7:14am On Jan 17, 2017
We are getting inundated with all these 'recruiter wants this and don't want that'..
Its just a pity we didn't come when companies 'beg' graduates with jobs, we arrived a bit late. I wish I had schooled in the 60's.

19 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 17, 2017
Op and we're supposed to imagine all these because we're studying Arabic or further maths?
Help us with pictures na

1 Like

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Khd95(m): 7:17am On Jan 17, 2017
Clocking nkogrin

1 Like

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by TerrorSquad147: 7:20am On Jan 17, 2017
The day I shook buhari, I thought his arm was going to pull out from its joint

2 Likes

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by seunny4lif(m): 7:21am On Jan 17, 2017
grin grin

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by zinachidi(m): 7:23am On Jan 17, 2017
anchoring nko?

1 Like

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by MrGreenMavro: 7:26am On Jan 17, 2017
hmm

1 Like

Re: How To Shake Hands When A Recruiter Asks For A Handshake by Ejehjoe(m): 7:26am On Jan 17, 2017
Those who have ears to hear. Very many persons have lost job from prospective employers due to little things like this

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fidelity Bank Plc Graduate Digital Trainee Recruitment 2019 / British High Commission In Nigeria Recruiting / Nigerian Navy (direct Short Service Commission (dssc) 18 Officers)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.