Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

Little Skittles! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Little Skittles! (1060 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Little Skittles! by Nobody: 11:03am On Jan 17, 2017

LITTLE SKITTLES!

At the end of 2016, my siblings and I decided to go on a shopping spree!

It wasn't too much money or something o... It was just to get enough time to ourselves and to get some real talks done.

#pause

When last did you have have a time alone with your family members?

How then do you strengthen the cords of love between you guys?

Please, its a new year, start something new to make the love solid.

Well, that's not where I am going to.....

When we got to a popular shopping mall, we ordered some sea foods, some spaghetti, a big loaf of bread, bowls of ice cream and some beef cuts.

We moved to the cashier and as she was calculating our money, I sighted some skittles in the rack on her table and I dropped four packs in our basket.

Well, I was holding a few thousand naira notes but when the total was given us, IbukunOluwa looked from my face to Elijah's while Eunice looked on in an 'go on and pay' manner.

Well, I shrugged, reached into my purse and brought another sum to double what I had brought out earlier to pay. Then, we left.

When we got home, Ibukunoluwa in her analytical way sat down with the list to check and re-check. She called my attention to the breakdown of the money.

I was awed!

Had I not bought the skittles, the thousands I had brought out at first would have been enough to pay and I would even have some change.

But a pack of skittles was more expensive than two packs of seafoods servings we ordered. I was shocked!

I thought the skittles wouldn't be expensive at all!... I was wrong!

#please_always_look_before_you_leap

A pack of the skittles was even more expensive than the small chocolate cake we bought!

Oh my God!

We should have bought more bowls of ice-cream.

We should have, we should have!... That was how my siblings campaigned on and on after election.

Well, they didn’t like the skittles so, they left me alone to deal with the little skittles that had earned us a whole lot more... Well, mum joined me in enjoying the chewy edibles, just that we dared not tell her how much we bought them!

Well, enough of my story and let's face you ma and sir.

What are those little things that you bring into your lives which you know are only ephemerals?

What are those things that you desire because every other person has it?

You don’t have an investment yet you win the mist expensive girl and boy in the school because of your collections of designers.

Retirement is at the corner daddy and mummy, you don’t know what to settle down with yet you break the walls of chicken bones down seven times daily!.... Isn't that enough to start a small poultry farm?

You are a talented singer with some money but instead of going through the stress of getting your songs produced, you sit in your comfort zones and order for an expensive headphones as you listen to other people's songs!

Search your heart deeply please....

Instead of the skittles Lizzy bought, she could have bought some Nigerian yoyos instead.

Skittles have chewy, jelly substance while yoyo has melty chocolatey substance... Whats the difference?

Couldn't she have eaten some yoyos and keep her change?

What are the little skittles you are investing yourself, your life, your money, your all into that will cost you more than you ever bargained for?

Is it too much sleep, too much procrastination, too much laziness, too much prayerlessness, too much freedom....

Hey stop there!

Enough of your indecisiveness!

Don’t say other customers will make jest of you kankan... Abi, do you care at the detriment of your life?

Deep your hands into the basket and put the outrageous little skittles back into the rack where they belong...

#You_dont_need_them_NOW

#Be_inspired

GOOD MORNING!

©Oyekunle Lizzy Oyebola 2017

Source: https://www.facebook.com/oyekunle.oyebola.7/posts/623753527805298

Cc: Lalasticlala

2 Likes

Re: Little Skittles! by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jan 17, 2017
I do hope you learn from this smiley

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

gsujs gd I'm s victim / Naija Short Stories For Kids / Secrets To A Longer Married Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.