Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,785 members, 7,802,439 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:28 PM

Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why (38750 Views)

Why Do Lawyers Always Wear Wig Caps / Do Lawyers In Nigeria Earn Much? / "How Can I Start A Wig And Hair Business?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Kamadoye(m): 8:08pm On Jan 17, 2017

The legal profession as we know it has its own peculiar traditions most of which are from antiquity. An instance of this is the wig and gown which has quite become the de rigueur for members of the Nigerian Legal profession. Most law students can’t seem to understand why a feminine attire like the wig and gown would become the norm for everyone. Why can’t we just don our fashionable suits with a little pizazz when appearing before courts like we see in the movies ? The history behind the practice of wearing this rather outlandish garb dates back to the 18th century where it had once been a status symbol distinguishing members of the noble profession from the rest of the populace. It’s something that has been handed down the years until we eventually inherited it from Britain as part of our colonial common law heritage (although in most countries there have been minor modifications). A lot of reasons have been cited for why lawyers today still wear the wig and gown (most of which I still laugh over).

(1) It was originally designed to distinguish members of the legal profession from other members of society.

(2) It brought authority, formality, dignity and solemnity of the law

(3) It emphasizes on the objectivity of the law and deflects personal attention from the judge. (Surely judges can’t be seen to be flamboyant)

(4) With respect to the judiciary, it is designed to bring anonymity to the judge and help them hide their identity.

(5) It was introduced in the past for hygienic reasons

Do you think it should be done away with? Lets here your thoughts then

Go to law student hub for more

8 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by pressplay411(m): 8:12pm On Jan 17, 2017
Mind blown shocked

I donbelivit. They still make it compulsory to wear it

Well even if every other country abolishes it, Nigerians take so much pride in being slaves to their colonial masters.

66 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by BlackDBagba: 9:18pm On Jan 17, 2017
Cool
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by makapella(m): 9:22pm On Jan 17, 2017
D wig represents white hairs which is a sign of wisdom

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by DuBLINGreenb(m): 7:10am On Jan 18, 2017
front seat booked
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by kings09(m): 7:10am On Jan 18, 2017
Gud to know but how does it epp d administration of justice?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by ddippset(m): 7:11am On Jan 18, 2017
lawyers should be intelligent and morally upright. The wig part to me is inconsequential.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by sunshineV(f): 7:11am On Jan 18, 2017
grin
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by olahero(m): 7:12am On Jan 18, 2017
ok
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by KingsleyCEO: 7:13am On Jan 18, 2017
Most People send their children to law school just because of the wing, no no the wing must stay o... grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by katunboy: 7:14am On Jan 18, 2017
I don't think it is used in d US. Don't really know sa.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by johnstar(m): 7:14am On Jan 18, 2017
Make der brain cool grin

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by tetula123(m): 7:14am On Jan 18, 2017
educative
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by misterchris(m): 7:14am On Jan 18, 2017
In respect to Lady Justice
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by PrettySleek(f): 7:15am On Jan 18, 2017
See as this wig fine, the one wen I dey see for our Nigerian brothers' and sisters' head especially Nollywood dey get so so hole for inside grin

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by jejemanito: 7:15am On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:
Most People send their children to law school just because of the wing, no no the wing must stay o... grin grin grin
Wing bawo

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by katunboy: 7:16am On Jan 18, 2017
KingsleyCEO:
it's called 'Wig' and not wing, bro.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by abat4real37(f): 7:16am On Jan 18, 2017
I want to know why they also wear black too

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Nobody: 7:16am On Jan 18, 2017
Whatever.
We are just backward..
Throw the wigs in the trash joo..

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by crazygod(m): 7:17am On Jan 18, 2017
US judiciary system no get time for all those dandruff causing wigs.
Op I think in the early British, the Victorian age to be precise, wigs were worn by noble men not only by lawyers or judges.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by buchilino(m): 7:18am On Jan 18, 2017
2 ME DEY LOOK LIKE CLOWNS.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Adonis3: 7:19am On Jan 18, 2017

Lol... The kind for pride dey derive from it ehnn grin

Its more of a British influence sha

#Adonis3HasSpoken
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by segzy17: 7:22am On Jan 18, 2017
No need to abolish it
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by leofab(f): 7:22am On Jan 18, 2017
Lol
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Generalkorex(m): 7:22am On Jan 18, 2017
Ok
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by mrtegation99(m): 7:24am On Jan 18, 2017
who this one epp this morning

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by ibkgab001: 7:25am On Jan 18, 2017
Designed by occultic group of class 1625
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by AlphaDibia(m): 7:26am On Jan 18, 2017
Rain drop.. Drop Tops.. I got holes in my funny white wigs.
Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Enyimbamercedes: 7:26am On Jan 18, 2017
i was in court some time back and the lawyers just looked silly in the whole billowing gown and stupid blond wigs! They can change those wigs to black ones can't they?or does the white color signify wisdom ....cos most of those lawyers aren't wise lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by Alvin007: 7:29am On Jan 18, 2017
abat4real37:
I want to know why they also wear black too

The black gown connotes a 'sober' reflection, while coming before the law...he who comes before the law must come with clean hands..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by ibnquasale(m): 7:29am On Jan 18, 2017
Maybe it is that wig that's blocking away fresh air from getting to the "brains" of our lawyers and judges and making them the definition of corruption and corrupt practices undecided undecided lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Lawyers Wear The Wig And Gown? Here Is Why by originalKsp(m): 7:32am On Jan 18, 2017
Enyimbamercedes:
i was in court some time back and the lawyers just looked silly in the whole billowing gown and stupid blond wigs! They can change those wigs to black ones can't they?or does the white color signify wisdom ....cos most of those lawyers aren't wise lipsrsealed

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Wow!! See What This Pretty Slay Queen Does Just To Make A Living / Woman Who Happily Drives A Dangote Truck In The North. Photos / Janet Bunor, A Young Female Pilot In Nigeria, Buzzing On Social Media (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.