Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,714 members, 7,802,159 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:04 AM

Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes (2900 Views)

9 Common Problems Of A Wordpress Website / Major Challenges Of Blogging In Nigeria And Possible Solutions (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:33am On Jan 18, 2017
Picture this,  you wake up one morning, the weather's cool and you're sipping a hot cup of coffee or tea. You think to yourself , "Nothing could possibly go wrong". 

It suddenly occurs to you that you have to make a post on your blog. After making the post you discover lots of errors on your blog.

The blog posts you set to display 20 posts on your homepage are now displaying just 3, your blog link is messed up in social media and blog post images don't display on your posts on Facebook.

You're already imagining if your village people remembered you that morning while your direct blog competitors are like :

Well don't worry I've been there too. I'll teach you how to walk through the problems like a boss.. Literally

How You'll Be Feeling After This Post

So here are the most common design issues and possible fixes.

#1. Number Of Blog Posts Suddenly Showing Less Than What You Set

This is the most common problem bloggers on encounter and it's very frustrating and embarrassing. Visitors to your blog now see 2 or 3 posts on your homepage meanwhile the initial setting was about 15 or higher. Sometimes you may try changing the template but it doesn't still work. I think this error is probably caused when blogger has an issue interpreting some of your posts. Especially when you copy a post from other sites

There are 2 ways to fix this issue :

A. Find The Post That Caused The Error :

If you can remember the last posts you made before the template got disorganized carefully check through all of them by reverting them to drafts and republishing one after the other and refreshing your web page after you publish each one. You'll definitely find out the offending post.

B. Add A Jump Break Immediately After The Top Image

You can do this by editing your post from the blogger dashboard. Scan through the top menu you should see an icon that looks like a torn piece of paper -  that's the jump break.

Place your cursor below your image then tap on the icon. Repeat this for about 15 posts then refresh your blog page and see the results

#2.Blog Links Not Displaying Well On Social Media

This part is very technical, please if you aren't good in HTML avoid doing this without consulting an experienced  webmaster. I'm also available to help at an affordable cost.

Most social media pages make use of the Open Graph protocol which help them to retrieve data from a web page. Without the Open Graph protocol in place or if there are errors , social networks may not be able to access your posts properly.

By Default, Most Blogger Templates come With Open Graph Tags but some templates have faulty open graph tags. To know if your site has issues, use the Facebook URL Debug Tool to analyze it. If you see more than 2 errors after the analysis then you certainly need to work on your Blog's Open Graph Tags.

To access the URL debugger simply google  up - Facebook URL Debug Tool. You'll need to sign in to your Facebook account to use this. To get the best results, open your blog on one tab and the URL Debug Tool on another tab. After editing your Open Graph Tags, save your template, wait for about 5 minutes then tap on scrape on the debug tool page to see the results.

I added the format of the Open Graph protocol on my blog and how to set it up. I don't want to get banned by the spam bot.

Note : Here's why I said you need an expert to do this if you're not too good in HTML. See the screenshot of My blog after I messed up an Open Graph Tag. Luckily I keep backups so I restored it back immediately. You might not be so lucky.

#3 Images Showing Too Large On Home Page

This is usually caused when you copy an image from another site and place it as the first image of your blog post  The solution to this is simple, just edit the post,  save the image from the page you copied the image from then re-upload the image to your post. You could just simply reduce the size of the image to medium.

#4 Blog Loading Slowly

There are a couple of things that could slow down your blog load time. Even Google understands that, so that's why Adsense ads are shown in the Async format so it won't affect load time on your blog.

Remove unnecessary widgets and Javascript codes, then test your site speed with tools like Pingdom or Google Site Speed.

Summary

There are a whole lot of issues with blog design on but I think I've highlighted the most common ones.  If you have questions kindly use the comment box. I'd also like to know other problems you're facing so I can posts a possible solution.

Happy Blogging

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 2:35am On Jan 18, 2017
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 6:49am On Jan 18, 2017
smiley
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by fortune5351(m): 6:57am On Jan 18, 2017
wwd
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by ngoben(f): 6:57am On Jan 18, 2017
good morning people.....wonderfun post... second to Comment
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by optimusprime2(m): 6:58am On Jan 18, 2017
Yay!
How come I cant do this ftc fing??
Anyway... the post is boring Tchai....
Una wedone o....
Anyway, I know the poster below me has something clever to contribute

1 Like

Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by Nobody: 6:59am On Jan 18, 2017
nice one
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by Error111: 6:59am On Jan 18, 2017
Everyone reading this, please help me review my new blog and tell me what i need to add/remove so as to make it look better.
The url is www.Nigeriaschoolsupdate..com

Thanks a lot
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by ptolemy247(m): 7:17am On Jan 18, 2017
Thanks for the post. Very informative. Please I have a small issue. I have had a verified Adsense account since 2009 or so. I just opened a new blog with same blogger and Adsense account but I keep seeing that my blog is not yet qualified for Adsense.

How do I incorporate my Adsense code to my new blog. Thanks again
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by menama(m): 7:40am On Jan 18, 2017
Nice one
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by miqos02(m): 7:43am On Jan 18, 2017
cool
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by wizkidblogger(f): 8:15am On Jan 18, 2017
Ohk
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 8:20am On Jan 18, 2017
ptolemy247:
Thanks for the post. Very informative. Please I have a small issue. I have had a verified Adsense account since 2009 or so. I just opened a new blog with same blogger and Adsense account but I keep seeing that my blog is not yet qualified for Adsense.

How do I incorporate my Adsense code to my new blog. Thanks again

It takes some months for a new blog to get approved on a hosted adsense account.
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by GoodyOG: 9:38am On Jan 18, 2017
NaijaTechGuy:
Picture this,  you wake up one morning, the weather's cool and you're sipping a hot cup of coffee or tea. You think to yourself , "Nothing could possibly go wrong". 

It suddenly occurs to you that you have to make a post on your blog. After making the post you discover lots of errors on your blog.

The blog posts you set to display 20 posts on your homepage are now displaying just 3, your blog link is messed up in social media and blog post images don't display on your posts on Facebook.

You're already imagining if your village people remembered you that morning while your direct blog competitors are like :

Well don't worry I've been there too. I'll teach you how to walk through the problems like a boss.. Literally

How You'll Be Feeling After This Post

So here are the most common design issues and possible fixes.

#1. Number Of Blog Posts Suddenly Showing Less Than What You Set

This is the most common problem bloggers on encounter and it's very frustrating and embarrassing. Visitors to your blog now see 2 or 3 posts on your homepage meanwhile the initial setting was about 15 or higher. Sometimes you may try changing the template but it doesn't still work. I think this error is probably caused when blogger has an issue interpreting some of your posts. Especially when you copy a post from other sites

There are 2 ways to fix this issue :

A. Find The Post That Caused The Error :

If you can remember the last posts you made before the template got disorganized carefully check through all of them by reverting them to drafts and republishing one after the other and refreshing your web page after you publish each one. You'll definitely find out the offending post.

B. Add A Jump Break Immediately After The Top Image

You can do this by editing your post from the blogger dashboard. Scan through the top menu you should see an icon that looks like a torn piece of paper -  that's the jump break.

Place your cursor below your image then tap on the icon. Repeat this for about 15 posts then refresh your blog page and see the results

#2.Blog Links Not Displaying Well On Social Media

This part is very technical, please if you aren't good in HTML avoid doing this without consulting an experienced  webmaster. I'm also available to help at an affordable cost.

Most social media pages make use of the Open Graph protocol which help them to retrieve data from a web page. Without the Open Graph protocol in place or if there are errors , social networks may not be able to access your posts properly.

By Default, Most Blogger Templates come With Open Graph Tags but some templates have faulty open graph tags. To know if your site has issues, use the Facebook URL Debug Tool to analyze it. If you see more than 2 errors after the analysis then you certainly need to work on your Blog's Open Graph Tags.

To access the URL debugger simply google  up - Facebook URL Debug Tool. You'll need to sign in to your Facebook account to use this. To get the best results, open your blog on one tab and the URL Debug Tool on another tab. After editing your Open Graph Tags, save your template, wait for about 5 minutes then tap on scrape on the debug tool page to see the results.

I added the format of the Open Graph protocol on my blog and how to set it up. I don't want to get banned by the spam bot.

Note : Here's why I said you need an expert to do this if you're not too good in HTML. See the screenshot of My blog after I messed up an Open Graph Tag. Luckily I keep backups so I restored it back immediately. You might not be so lucky.

#3 Images Showing Too Large On Home Page

This is usually caused when you copy an image from another site and place it as the first image of your blog post  The solution to this is simple, just edit the post,  save the image from the page you copied the image from then re-upload the image to your post. You could just simply reduce the size of the image to medium.

#4 Blog Loading Slowly

There are a couple of things that could slow down your blog load time. Even Google understands that, so that's why Adsense ads are shown in the Async format so it won't affect load time on your blog.

Remove unnecessary widgets and Javascript codes, then test your site speed with tools like Pingdom or Google Site Speed.

Summary

There are a whole lot of issues with blog design on but I think I've highlighted the most common ones.  If you have questions kindly use the comment box. I'd also like to know other problems you're facing so I can posts a possible solution.

Happy Blogging

I had the problem of my post not showing completely in the front page....it was really annoying i used to see 3 post only meanwhile,i set it to 15....but i figured out what the problem was....my pictures in the post were not optimized and not the same size....

thanks for the tips
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by talkeverytime: 10:34am On Jan 18, 2017
Nice one
Check this out : www.talleverytime..com
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by talkeverytime: 10:35am On Jan 18, 2017
Nice one
Check this out : www.talleverytime..com
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 10:54am On Jan 18, 2017
GoodyOG:

I had the problem of my post not showing completely in the front page....it was really annoying i used to see 3 post only meanwhile,i set it to 15....but i figured out what the problem was....my pictures in the post were not optimized and not the same size....

thanks for the tips
... You're welcome bro.. smiley
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by bamasite2: 1:45pm On Jan 18, 2017
Hi. Is naijatechguy.com running on ? Also,
I sent you a mail and it bounced. Can you PM me?

Free Exciting brain training puzzles with great prizes here
Re: Common Design Problems And Possible Fixes by NaijaTechGuy(m): 1:52pm On Jan 18, 2017
bamasite2:
Hi. Is naijatechguy.com running on ? Also,
I sent you a mail and it bounced. Can you PM me?

Free Exciting brain training puzzles with great prizes here

My site runs on . Send your email. Directly to naijatechguy@gmail.com or luigiajah@gmail.com.

(1) (Reply)

Three Simple Things To Do To Get Traffic / Apple Knows The Truth - Hidden In Plain Sight (pictures Included) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.