Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,966 members, 7,806,799 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:42 AM

Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know (10239 Views)

Ogun To Start Sale Of Mass Ofada Rice (Photos) / Ganduje Inspects Wheat, Rice And Tomatoes Farms In Kano (Photos) / Nairalander Yewa Rice And Sen.Ben Bruce Share Free Rice in Lagos (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 1:06pm On Jan 18, 2017
Do you know that Ofada rice is a name for a heritage variety of rice grown in south-west Nigeria?

It is grown almost exclusively in Ogun State a state in Southwestern Nigeria and named after the town Ofada in Ogun State.

Do you know that Ofada Rice is not indigenous to Africa? But was purported to have been smuggled by a soldier into Nigeria in 1940 when the soldier returned from Asia and planted the rice in Ofada Town.

Do you know why Ofada rice is typically priced higher compared to other available rice, and it has been regarded as a sign of status symbolism by some people and in contemporary times, it is sometimes served at classy parties? High Nutrition Values.

Ofada rice are of two types Brown and white ofada rice, this is determine on the basis of un-milled seed colour. Brown ofada rice is often very highly aromatic, whereas white ofada rice is typically non-aromatic.

Do you know that Ofada rice is unpolished because most Africa rices are difficult to mill and polish and the rice bran that is left on the grain help strengthening the flavour and making it more nutritious?

watch out for more interesting facts on ofada rice

Powered by Labon Ofada Rice

4 Likes

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 3:31pm On Jan 19, 2017
Ofada Rice against imported Parboiled polished rice.

Do you know that imported parboiled polished rice looks more aesthetically appeasing to the eyes than ofada rice but has less value of Nutrients to ofada rice?

Do you know that the quantity of both soluble and insoluble fiber found in Ofada rice [/b]is more than twice the quantity of fiber found in regular polished or white rice and the difference is due to the way both types are processed?

In processing, [b]ofada rice
has only the husk removed while White rice has both bran and husk removed and parboiled then polished to look attractive. The bran is kept intact in Ofada rice [/b]which helps to give us a healthy dose of dietary fiber and in return the fiber helps in proper digestion and in the cleansing of the colon.

Do you know why [b]ofada rice
is preferable to imported parboiled polished rice when trying to lose weight? The soluble fiber in ofada rice [/b]reduces/slow down the rate food leaves the stomach which gives a sense of fullness after a meal and help reduce/stop over eating which helps in losing weight especially when you eat it with vegetables (salad/Soup).

Do you know that due to the process of white parboiled rice, it loses most of the natural nutrients but are usually fortified with some unnatural vitamins but [b]Ofada rice
is loaded with natural nutrients like magnesium, manganese and zinc, potassium and some traces of vitamin E?

Do you know that a study team at the Harvard School of Public Health revealed that eating five servings per week of white parboiled rice increased your risk of having diabetes and that replacing white parboiled rice with brown (ofada) rice helps lowered the risk?

Do you know that Ofada rice is a perfect Baby Food as brown rice cereal/rice itself is good for baby’s first food due to high concentration of natural nutrition and fiber content it contains, this is a better option to refined white rice/corn cereal products has rapidly growing babies/ toddlers require rich nutrient diets to help maintain rapid growth cycles

Watch this space for more info

Powered by La Bon Ofada rice

1 Like

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 1:27pm On Jan 23, 2017
Nutrition facts

Do you know that the calories after cooking one cup of Ofada Rice Are?

Calories 600
Sodium 0 mg
Total Fat 2 g
Potassium 0 mg
Saturated 0 g
Total Carbs 136 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Monounsaturated 0 g
Sugars 0 g
Trans 0 g
Protein 14 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Vitamin A 0%
Calcium 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Iron 0%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. (Nutrition facts culled from myfitnesspal.com)

Powered by Labon Ofada rice
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 3:41pm On Jan 24, 2017
Do You know that Ofada rice is wrapped in leaves because due to the leaves phytoconstituents, it impacts a particular characteristic taste into foods associated with. it is richly endowed in essential oils and adds like sweetener into the food.

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 1:25pm On Jan 26, 2017
Do you know that ofada rice is the most famous and expensive local rice in the whole of Nigeria and west Africa. If you as a lady visit your fiance parents for the first time and you are served ofada rice. You should know you are cherished and held in high esteem in that family and your fiance mother wants you to marry their son. That is what I call Baba GOD don pick your call.

Powered by La Bon ofada rice

1 Like

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by FKBZ: 2:01pm On Jan 26, 2017
How much is a bag of okada rice now and where can one buy it in stock
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 2:18pm On Jan 26, 2017
FKBZ:
How much is a bag of okada rice now and where can one buy it in stock
Are you in Lagos, we sell both in small and large quantities you can DM me for price if you are ready.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by FKBZ: 2:46pm On Jan 26, 2017
Kindly state the price here an also am in Lagos
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 7:17am On Jan 27, 2017
FKBZ:
Kindly state the price here an also am in Lagos
1kg =#800, 2kg=1600 but for large quantities we can give a discount.
Cost of delivery is not included
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 6:53pm On Jan 31, 2017
Do you know that you get fill up more eating ofada rice than imported rice, and that the content has more nutrients than eating more quantities of parboiled rice.

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 1:54pm On Feb 02, 2017
Stew for Ofada rice

Do you know that there is a special stew recipe that is use in eating ofada rice, and that the special spicy delicacy is called Ayamase?

Do you know that Ayamase is coined from Yoruba word “Aya-mase” and that it means wife of Mr. Mase?

Do you know there is an argument on the origin of the spicy delicacy as some historian claims it is from Ijebu land while some claim it is from Egba land, what can be verify is that Ayamase is from ogun state southwest Nigeria.

Do you know that Ayamase is a greenish darkish stew which is definitely different from typical Nigerian Reddish pepper/Tomato stew, and that is usually very hot and spicy in taste, which can be toned down to medium hot or very hot depending on individual?

Do you know that history claim Mrs. Mase who was said to be a creative person who wanted cook something different, enchanting and stimulating, invented this special delicacy which looks and taste totally different to be taking with ofada rice for her lover not Mr. Mase to appease him and take him to a “different world” which he always look forward to whenever they meet.

Do you know that Ayamase is filled with different types of meat parts and chopped into small bits that can be taking with a spoon of ofada rice at the same time?

Powered by La Bon Ofada Rice

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:28pm On Feb 07, 2017
Can you share with us your experience pacify the smell of ofada rice while it is been cooked and what they feel like after eating it for the first time?
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:50pm On Feb 09, 2017
Do you know that many people don't like to perceive the smell of ofada rice while it is still been cooked on fire, but after tasting it for the first time they crave to eat more of it?

Do you know that the unique smell of ofada rice while it is been cooked differentiate it from other species of local rice in Nigeria as this special specie of rice was brought from Asia ?

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
Do you know that ofada rice contains Selenium which reduces the likelihood of colon cancer, magnesium keeps the bone healthy, it also contains insoluble fibre which help reduces risk of gall stones, and help maintains normal body weight.

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:37pm On Feb 13, 2017
Is this not tempting?

Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 4:56pm On Feb 16, 2017
Order for your ofada rice either in small quantities or large quantities, we can meet up with your demand.
Our ofada rice are fully destoned with our designing machine, which means it is 99% free of stone.
You can quote us so we can get talking.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by DAVE5(m): 8:06am On Feb 17, 2017
Teewhy2:
Is this not tempting?

No it is not, the smell alone can kill so talk less if I put it in my belly...

In parties they pass the sh*t around like there's something special abt n I be like pls dnt let the smell pass my arena at all...

#thrash
#rubbish

N pls dnt mention nutritional value cos there's a whole lot of nutritionally nice smelling foods around

Dnt blame me ohh op, I hate that shìt wit all I know
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 8:12am On Feb 17, 2017
DAVE5:

No it is not, the smell alone can kill so talk less if I put it in my belly...

In parties they pass the sh*t around like there's something special abt n I be like pls dnt let the smell pass my arena at all...

#thrash
#rubbish

N pls dnt mention nutritional value cos there's a whole lot of nutritionally nice smelling foods around

Dnt blame me ohh op, I hate that shìt wit all I know

Have you eaten it before, trying it and you will not regret it. A lot of people have this same issue but after giving it a trial they give a different review on it.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by DAVE5(m): 8:53am On Feb 17, 2017
Teewhy2:

Have you eaten it before, trying it and you will not regret it. A lot of people have this same issue but after giving it a trial they give a different review on it.

Guess u know when u eat, the smell comes to ur face/nose before the food enters ur mouth, that's wia the problem wld be, if my nose doesn't accept, watz the point in putting it in my mouth, it's not abt it being sweet or not, it's abt the smell

I'm the kinda person that gets irritated by simple things u might overlook e.g if I buy a bottle of water and someone takes a gulp of that water, truth I won't bother visiting that bottle again, id rather buy another...then ud understand wia am coming from, the smell is the koko
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 9:08am On Feb 17, 2017
cry
DAVE5:

Guess u know when u eat, the smell comes to ur face/nose before the food enters ur mouth, that's wia the problem wld be, if my nose doesn't accept, watz the point in putting it in my mouth, it's not abt it being sweet or not, it's abt the smell

I'm the kinda person that gets irritated by simple things u might overlook e.g if I buy a bottle of water and someone takes a gulp of that water, truth I won't bother visiting that bottle again, id rather buy another...then ud understand wia am coming from, the smell is the koko

I rest my case, but will still wish you try it
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Toks2008(m): 3:53pm On Feb 17, 2017
DAVE5:

I have been eating delicious ofada rice every morning from monday to friday since October last year...infact I'm addicted to it....it's actually one of my best 3 delicacies.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 5:52pm On Feb 17, 2017
Toks2008:

I have been eating delicious ofada rice every morning from monday to friday since October last year...infact I'm addicted to it....it's actually one of my best 3 delicacies.
Whoa am happy to hear that, it is the best comment I read this week on nairaland.
I Will post more things I know about it here, you are also free to pass more information on it to us
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:09pm On Feb 24, 2017
Good day every one,
Do you need original raw ofada rice in large quantities, we can supply it to you. Our ofada rice (La Bon ofada rice) is fully destoned that is free of stoned and packaged in a conducive and hygienic environment.
Contact us today and you will never regret doing so.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by feran15(m): 10:30am On Mar 01, 2017
Teewhy2:
Good day every one,
Do you need original raw ofada rice in large quantities, we can supply it to you. Our ofada rice (La Bon ofada rice) is fully destoned that is free of stoned and packaged in a conducive and hygienic environment.
Contact us today and you will never regret doing so.

Do you grow your own ofada or you buy from Logan farmers and process?
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 10:47am On Mar 01, 2017
feran15:

Do you grow your own ofada or you buy from Logan farmers and process?

No, we don't grow the rice but we buy from owode in ofada town and destoning it with our destoning machine.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by pedrilo: 8:53am On Mar 05, 2017
Teewhy2:
cry

I rest my case, but will still wish you try it
I like eating the rice but I don like the smell at all. Can't u do anytin abt the smell? Do some research, not everyone likes eatin offensively smelly food and ofada rice is one.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 11:22am On Mar 05, 2017
pedrilo:
I like eating the rice but I don like the smell at all. Can't u do anytin abt the smell? Do some research, not everyone likes eatin offensively smelly food and ofada rice is one.
DAVE5:

Do you know you can really enjoy cooking and eating ofada without the pungent smell that comes with it naturally.
Do you know if you want to remove the pungent smell what is needed is after washing the ofada rice , you add salt and chopped a ball of onions in it, allow it to boil under high intensity light for 12 mins and change the water with another warm/hot to avoid it getting to soaked in water which do occur when you add cold water to boil again. After it is getting soft check for the level of salt and add to taste.
This method reduce the pungent smell by like 80%
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by DAVE5(m): 11:24pm On Mar 05, 2017
Teewhy2:

Do you know you can really enjoy cooking and eating ofada without the pungent smell that comes with it naturally.
Do you know if you want to remove the pungent smell what is needed is after washing the ofada rice , you add salt and chopped a ball of onions in it, allow it to boil under high intensity light for 12 mins and change the water with another warm/hot to avoid it getting to soaked in water which do occur when you add cold water to boil again. After it is getting soft check for the level of salt and add to taste.
This method reduce the pungent smell by like 80%

I wish I cld do all this tinz u asked of me... but the thing is am hardly ever available 2 cook 4 myself gan... leave home at 8 4 work, after work go n takia of my personal money venture, get home by 11pm... so no time 2 think abt ofada dat I dnt even like in d 1st case at all... thanks though
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 12:02pm On Mar 15, 2017
Good day everyone,
Order for your raw ofada rice in large quantities from La Bon ofada rice.
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 7:57am On Mar 19, 2017
Can you share with us pictures of your favorite ofada stew
Re: Ofada rice and You, Facts you need to know by Teewhy2: 8:52pm On Mar 21, 2017
Typical small kilogram package of La Bon ofada rice.
Order your own fully destoned ofada rice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The 2years Old Original Apple In My Dad Compound / Automatic And Manual Palm Oil Machines For Palm Processing In Aba Abia Nigeria. / How To Be A Successful Tomatoes And Plantain Farmer.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.