Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,312 members, 7,808,050 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:59 AM

That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. (11988 Views)

Non Religious Believers in god Come Here / How To Answer The Question "Where Did Jesus Say, 'I Am God, Worship Me''? / Best Answer For Asking A Silly Question Like This. Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by DeepSight(m): 6:42pm On Jan 18, 2017
Aseity

a·se·i·ty (ə-sē′ĭ-tē, ā-, -sā′-)

n. Philosophy
The state or quality of existing in and of oneself, without external cause.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 11:13pm On Jan 18, 2017
Well atheists will never stop asking that foolish question. Since they disbelieve in the notion of God they try to discredit it by foolishly applying the same ideas of contingent beings to the self-existent being God is.

It is really unfortunate. Clearly, they can't wrap their heads around the idea of an eternal, independent and immaterial Mind. They want causality to stop at the material world which is why they demand causality to dismiss the idea of God.

5 Likes 3 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 4:30am On Jan 19, 2017
UyiIredia:
Well atheists will never stop asking that foolish question. Since they disbelieve in the notion of God they try to discredit it by foolishly applying the same ideas of contingent beings to the self-existent being God is.

It is really unfortunate. Clearly, they can't wrap their heads around the idea of an eternal, independent and immaterial Mind. They want causality to stop at the material world which is why they demand causality to dismiss the idea of God.

Anyone can wrap their mind around the idea of an eternal, independent and immaterial mind- the issue is that it is a concept that has no validity or evidence in the real world.

Please, reason before you talk

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by akintom(m): 7:51am On Jan 19, 2017
DeepSight:

Aseity

n. Philosophy
How long will it take you to come to realization, that metaphysical science is obsolete long time ago.

Rational folks now find meaning and answers in physical science sphere.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Richirich713: 10:53am On Jan 19, 2017
Indeed a very foolish question.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 12:06pm On Jan 19, 2017
Richirich713:
Indeed a very foolish question.

Of course- it is foolish to limited minds.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by mkmyers45(m): 12:50pm On Jan 19, 2017
A skeptic will put on his tin foil hat and ask 'what brings about this quality of existence without causality'

I get where you are going but i think the bigger problem is the triangle between Traditional theism, Non-traditional theism and atheism. A lot of atheist are just opposed to traditional theism outside which they have no stance.

Even you present conjuncture will be seen as an attack from a traditional point of view to the Nairaland atheist
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by dalaman: 1:05pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

Anyone can wrap their mind around the idea of an eternal, independent and immaterial mind- the issue is that it is a concept that has no validity or evidence in the real world.

That's my problem with all these hypothesis. They keep talking about abstracts as if they are factual.

3 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Richirich713: 1:05pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

Of course- it is foolish to limited minds.

Actually it's foolish to anyone who has a PhD in philosophy and is competent in philosophy of religion. Richard dawkins for example has neither of those things, which pretty much explains why this question is usually asked by laymen online atheists since his fans tend to think he knows wat he's talking but in reality he aint got a clue grin

2 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
DeepSight:

Aseity

n. Philosophy

Job 36:26
Yes, God is exalted beyond our knowledge; the number of His years cannot be counted.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by DeepSight(m): 1:54pm On Jan 19, 2017
akintom:

How long will it take you to come to realization, that metaphysical science is obsolete long time ago.

It is not obsolete and never will be; also philosophy is not obsolete.

There is no single living human being who finds meaning in the physical and material alone.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 1:58pm On Jan 19, 2017
Richirich713:

Actually it's foolish to anyone who has a PhD in philosophy and is competent in philosophy of religion. Richard dawkins for example has neither of those things, which pretty much explains why this question is usually asked by laymen online atheists since his fans tend to think he knows wat he's talking but in reality he aint got a clue grin

Ignorance is worrying you.

One does not need a degree in philosophy to understand philosophy.

Secondly, doing a Phd in any field requires a basic knowledge of philosophy.

3 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

As I said a blind man won't see the evidence for light even if it's in his face. So also, you won't see the evidence for God although it has been made clear.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by Richirich713: 2:25pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

Ignorance is worrying you.

One does not need a degree in philosophy to understand philosophy.

I never said u need one, u said "Of course- it is foolish to limited minds.", which is what I find highly odd since no pro philosopher of religion takes this objection seriously. Ur comment implies that only people with limited minds will find the question foolish, which is a very bigoted comment take make.

JackBizzle:

Secondly, doing a Phd in any field requires a basic knowledge of philosophy.

Sure, but if u going to write a book addressing philosophical arguments for God u will need more than just "basic" knowledge of philosophy, otherwise u just going to make tons of mistakes like dawkins did.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by dalaman: 2:52pm On Jan 19, 2017
DeepSight:

There is no single living human being who finds meaning in the physical and material alone.

Many people do.

2 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 3:00pm On Jan 19, 2017
Richirich713:

I never said u need one, u said "Of course- it is foolish to limited minds.", which is what I find highly odd since no pro philosopher of religion takes this objection seriously. Ur comment implies that only people with limited minds will find the question foolish, which is a very bigoted comment take make.

Sure, but if u going to write a book addressing philosophical arguments for God u will need more than just "basic" knowledge of philosophy, otherwise u just going to make tons of mistakes like dawkins did.

Lying has become part of you so much that you dont even realise how silly you sound.

First, even christian writers and philosophers admit that it is a difficult and interesting question to answer. I don't know which "pro philosophers" you are referring to.

Secondly, questioning God's origin does not require any degree in philosophy.

Just shut up, abeg

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 3:00pm On Jan 19, 2017
DeepSight:

Such a dirty lie.

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 4:45pm On Jan 19, 2017
akintom:

You are being extremely idiotic. Science itself depends on metaphysics specifically the metaphysical philosophy of empiricism and methodological naturalism.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 4:47pm On Jan 19, 2017
dalaman:

That's my problem with all these hypothesis. They keep talking about abstracts as if they are factual.

Abstracts are factual. I mean how silly would one be to suggest that are not.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 4:49pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

Such a dirty lie.

Meaning is itself immaterial so Deep Sight's point is true.
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by lele007: 4:49pm On Jan 19, 2017
God came from God. He is the beginning without beginning. He has no beginning. Whats so hard to understand there?

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by UyiIredia(m): 4:52pm On Jan 19, 2017
dalaman:

Many people do.

No. They think they do. They are deluded. Meaning is immaterial and as long as it is then one can't say one finds meaning in the material alone. The closest you can find meaning in the material is to kill yourself. Then you'll be a useless corpse that can know no meaning.

2 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by dalaman: 5:08pm On Jan 19, 2017
UyiIredia:

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by hopefulLandlord: 7:19pm On Jan 19, 2017
UyiIredia:

what the fork did I just read?

5 Likes

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 7:50pm On Jan 19, 2017
Richirich713:

That guy says idiotic things and his moronic ass lickers will gorge on anything he says uncritically .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:03pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

1. Infinite regress is an impossibility

2. Something can't create itself or come from nothing uncaused or without deterministic conditions

3. You are left with an eternal independent (non-contingent ) immaterial mind

Simple

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:04pm On Jan 19, 2017
dalaman:

Abstract objects like numbers , sets , properties are factual .

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 8:15pm On Jan 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

1. Infinite regress is an impossibility

2. Something can't create itself or come from nothing uncaused or without deterministic conditions

3. You are left with an eternal independent (non-contingent ) immaterial mind

Simple

Number 2 and 3 are contradictory.

Such an independent immaterial mind didnt create itself

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:17pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

Number 2 and 3 are contradictory.

Such an independent immaterial mind didnt create itself

Please explain how 2 and 3 are contradictory

An eternal being did not create itself
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by JackBizzle: 8:20pm On Jan 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Please explain how 2 and 3 are contradictory

An eternal being did not create itself

If the eternal being did not create itself, from whence did it come?
Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by KingEbukasBlog(m): 8:22pm On Jan 19, 2017
JackBizzle:

If the eternal being did not create itself, from whence did it come?

Only things they are created or caused to exist that you can ask where they came from not an eternal being .

1 Like

Re: That Silly Question - "Where Did God Come From" - Aseity Discussion. by jonbellion(m): 8:27pm On Jan 19, 2017
KingEbukasBlog:

Only things they are created or caused to exist that you can ask where they came from not an eternal being .
Mr man you repeat the same thing is every goddamn thread
Go and find another hobby

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerian Men Dont Serve God Like Their Women: Why? / I Am Suing Pastor Chris Oyakhilome For N200 Million / Will Bad People Burn In Hell?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.