Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,119 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (15054 Views)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / Oba Of Benin And His Luxury Rolls Royce Spotted At An Event In Edo State. Photos / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 2:34pm On Jan 21, 2017
macof:

what is all this epistle for now?

you are now a ranting bigot o grin

Abeg, wetin be epistle here? So an informed post is too much for you to sabi ba?

I'm no bigot but you clearly are.

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by macof(m): 11:11am On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:

Abeg, wetin be epistle here? So an informed post is too much for you to sabi ba?

I'm no bigot but you clearly are.

informed? grin grin after being shamed (that's if you are even normal, cus any normal person should feel ashamed of himself at the level you stooped to) you come here with out of point, irrelevant "information"

lol. only a bigot would make should statement
"I no sabi this nigga. Some of your recent posts suggest you're an Igbo guy and you're here proclaiming Yorubas as the most dominant and influential black nation in the African diaspora. Can't you make up your mind?"

where and when on nairaland have I come close to this

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Probz(m): 11:46am On Jan 23, 2017
macof:

informed? grin grin after being shamed (that's if you are even normal, cus any normal person should feel ashamed of himself at the level you stooped to) you come here with out of point, irrelevant "information"

lol. only a bigot would make should statement

where and when on nairaland have I come close to this

You wan tell me what level I stooped to? What exactly did I say?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by blueskies(f): 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
I wud like to ask a question. What was the reason behind the late and smaller numbers of yoruba slaves captured and transported to the new world as compared to others?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 6:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
blueskies:
I wud like to ask a question. What was the reason behind the late and smaller numbers of yoruba slaves captured and transported to the new world as compared to others?

From my research, primarily the Kingdom of Oyo wars and the fall of the Oyo kingdom is one reason for this. The Oyo wars provided the bulk of Yoruba slaves, primarily war captives or sometimes entire villages were ransacked and everyone sold, at the time slavery was fast winding down. Yoruba land did not participate in slavery until this time, as you can see from the table that exports from the Lagos ports were 0 from 1400 until 1751, same for Badagri and Epe ports until 1726 we begin to see exports from both ports. As for numbers, my guess would be that the late entrance of Nago slaves into slavery, coupled with the fact that slavery had already been abolished may not have allowed enough time for Yoruba slaves to be exported in larger numbers compared to Akan, Congolese, Angolan, Igbo slaves etc. those for which trading had begun since the 1400s.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by blueskies(f): 9:13pm On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

From my research, primarily the Kingdom of Oyo wars and the fall of the Oyo kingdom is one reason for this. The Oyo wars provided the bulk of Yoruba slaves, primarily war captives or sometimes entire villages were ransacked and everyone sold, at the time slavery was fast winding down. Yoruba land did not participate in slavery until this time, as you can see from the table that exports from the Lagos ports were 0 from 1400 until 1751, same for Badagri and Epe ports until 1726 we begin to see exports from both ports. As for numbers, my guess would be that the late entrance of Nago slaves into slavery, coupled with the fact that slavery had already been abolished may not have allowed enough time for Yoruba slaves to be exported in larger numbers compared to Akan, Congolese, Angolan, Igbo slaves etc. those for which trading had begun since the 1400s.
Ok, so the occurence of war in Oyo kingdom, was one of the major instruments that gave rise to slave trade in yoruba land as at then, It means were it not for the Oyo wars, there wudnt av been any slave trade among the yorubas. Why is this so when slaves were taken from other parts of nigeria and africa even without war? And why did slave trade happen in later years among the yorubas as compared to others that started way early.
I'v always had an interest in history and wud b glad to learn some from here smiley

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:32am On Jan 24, 2017
Source after source, slave numbers for Yoruba from the Bight of Benin region are consistent and all point to less than 500,000 sold overall.

Snapshots of estimated Yoruba slaves sold between 1640 and 1860:
https://books.google.com/books?id=k0gVVh9jwF4C&pg=PA341&lpg=PA341&dq=estimate+of+yoruba+slaves+sold&source=bl&ots=aasmOMUfY2&sig=za6dmr-aNmIQkiHY2XXZDemCArw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix9f3IxNnRAhVMRiYKHZ19BrQ4ChDoAQgmMAI#v=onepage&q=estimate%20of%20yoruba%20slaves%20sold&f=false

Once more, this author, Patrick Manning, confirms more realistic numbers of Yoruba slaves exported. Summing up the numbers from images 1 and 2, the total number of Yoruba slaves exported from 1640 to 1860 is estimated at 437,700, the actual number settling in the new world most likely a figure between 300,000 to 400,000 after subtracting the lukumi slaves on their way to the new world intercepted by the British and dumped in Sierra Leone and those who made it to Brazil and Cuba but returned to Yoruba land (Agudas).

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:33am On Jan 24, 2017
Once again, the image below confirms that Yoruba slave numbers were insignificant (2% - 10%) in the Bight of Benin slave trade, even dropping to as low as 2% in 1710, from 1640 to 1740, then we begin to see slight increases from 16% in the 1750s to 53% in 1820s, to as high as 85% in the 1830s (once again during the period of Oyo-Dahomean wars) and dropping to 79% between 1840s and 1860s.

Interesting! The Aja peoples overwhelmingly dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade from as high as 97% in the 1680s up until 1800s (49%) and were at par with Yoruba slaves at 36% in the 1810s.

Once again, the only period Yoruba slaves dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade is between 1820 to 1860 during the fall of the Oyo empire and the Oyo-Dahomean wars.

Realistic figure from SW Nigeria: 437,700, still within the initial estimate of 456,500.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by iSlayer: 8:36am On Jan 26, 2017
pazienza:

You rile no one up but yourself.
I have been on this forum since 2007, I have seen it all. I know your type well enough to be the least troubled by your own instability.
You had the temerity to denigrate the Igbo race by assigning an inferior position to it, before Yoruba culture, and you think your Igbophobic forays will come unnoticed and unaddressed?

You are dreamer.
I thought I was the only one who noticed that distasteful post. I can't believe someone who says he's Igbo will say that. Such a horrible statement! If I was here at the time he posted that,trust me that issue won't slide just like that,the backlash will be terrible. I spit on you Redbonesmith!

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 9:00am On Jan 26, 2017
iSlayer:

I thought I was the only one who noticed that distasteful post. I can't believe someone who says he's Igbo will say that. Such a horrible statement! If I was here at the time he posted that,trust me that issue won't slide just like that,the backlash will be terrible. I spit on you Redbonesmith!

How terrible? I would get cancer? I would lose my job? My girlfriend would dump me? My mother would die? grin grin

When people threaten fire and brimstone and 'terribleness' on anonymous websites, one can't help but feel amused. If you like gather all the spit in your mouth, patapata you will spit on your phone and your fingers. You may even give yourself a heart attack over what I clearly intended to be a baiting comment for ethnic chauvinists, like you and the other guys. Congratulations, you took the bait.

Yoruba culture is more impactful and advanced than Igbo culture. Comman beat me. cool cool

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by iSlayer: 10:16am On Jan 26, 2017
[s]
RedboneSmith:

How terrible? I would get cancer? I would lose my job? My girlfriend would dump me? My mother would die? grin grin

When people threaten fire and brimstone and 'terribleness' on anonymous websites, one can't help but feel amused. If you like gather all the spit in your mouth, patapata you will spit on your phone and your fingers. You may even give yourself a heart attack over what I clearly intended to be a baiting comment for ethnic chauvinists, like you and the other guys. Congratulations, you took the bait.

Yoruba culture is more impactful and advanced than Igbo culture. Comman beat me. cool cool
[/s]

Small boy.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Funjosh(m): 5:32pm On Jan 26, 2017
blueskies:

Ok, so the occurence of war in Oyo kingdom, was one of the major instruments that gave rise to slave trade in yoruba land as at then, It means were it not for the Oyo wars, there wudnt av been any slave trade among the yorubas. Why is this so when slaves were taken from other parts of nigeria and africa even without war? And why did slave trade happen in later years among the yorubas as compared to others that started way early.
I'v always had an interest in history and wud b glad to learn some from here smiley

if i may get your point and question, something must have been the reason while Yoruba slaves were not been exported at the time other part of Africa are been shipped to the new world, does it mean the Yoruba were well organized and strong and could resist the slave masters

cc bigfrancis21

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 7:37pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Once again, the image below confirms that Yoruba slave numbers were insignificant (2% - 10%) in the Bight of Benin slave trade, even dropping to as low as 2% in 1710, from 1640 to 1740, then we begin to see slight increases from 16% in the 1750s to 53% in 1820s, to as high as 85% in the 1830s (once again during the period of Oyo-Dahomean wars) and dropping to 79% between 1840s and 1860s.

Interesting! The Aja peoples overwhelmingly dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade from as high as 97% in the 1680s up until 1800s (49%) and were at par with Yoruba slaves at 36% in the 1810s.

Once again, the only period Yoruba slaves dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade is between 1820 to 1860 during the fall of the Oyo empire and the Oyo-Dahomean wars.

Realistic figure from SW Nigeria: 437,700, still within the initial estimate of 456,500.

AJA PEOPLE ARE FROM WHICH TRIBE OR MORE SPECIFICALLY WHICH ETHNICITY?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 7:56pm On Jan 26, 2017
Funjosh:

if i may get your point and question, something must have been the reason while Yoruba slaves were not been exported at the time other part of Africa are been shipped to the new world, does it mean the Yoruba were well organized and strong and could resist the slave masters

cc bigfrancis21

The author below mentions the dynamics between slave trading east and west. Yoruba land may not have participated actively in slavery probably due to an organized government or kingdom and the protection that comes from it thereof. The Binis, under the authority of the Oba of Bini and the Bini kingdom, were not known to have sold their own into slavery as they believed that each Bini person was royal to be sold into slavery. Thus, we see slaves from Yoruba land feature late in slavery during the fall of the Oyo kingdom (and the loss of its protection thereof) and constant wars with Dahomey, which raided its corridors.

On the other hand, for the Igbos, the slaves were people who committed abomination, thieves, people the society wanted to get rid off etc. Probably, because they knew they were rejected majority of these slaves may have preferred not to return given their circumstances of their exit, compared to Yoruba slaves that were forcefully taken away, not rejected by the society, against their own will.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 7:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
Olu317:
AJA PEOPLE ARE FROM WHICH TRIBE OR MORE SPECIFICALLY WHICH ETHNICITY?

Here's what I could find:

The Aja are a group of people native to south-western Benin and south-eastern Togo.[1] According to oral tradition, the Aja migrated to southern Benin in the 12th or 13th centuries from Tado on the Mono River, and c. 1600, three brothers, Kokpon, Do-Aklin, and Te-Agdanlin, split the ruling of the region then occupied by the Aja amongst themselves: Kokpon took the capital city of Great Ardra, reigning over the Allada kingdom; Do-Aklin founded Abomey, which would become capital of the Kingdom of Dahomey; and Te-Agdanlin founded Little Ardra, also known as Ajatche, later called Porto Novo (literally, "New Port"wink by Portuguese traders and the current capital city of Benin.

Those Aja living in Abomey mingled with the local tribe, thus creating a new people known as the Fon, or "Dahomey" ethnic group. This group is now the largest in Benin. Another source claims the Aja were the rulers of Dahomey (Benin) until 1893, when the French conquered them.[citation needed] Currently, there are approximately 500,000 Ajas in an area straddling the border between Benin and Togo, 50 kilometres (30 miles) long and 30 km (20 mi) wide.

The Aja speak a language known as Aja-Gbe, or simply 'Aja'; only 1-5% are literate in their native tongue. According to one source, voodoo originated with the Aja. There are three dialects: Tàgóbé (in Togo only), Dògóbè (in Benin only), and Hwègbè (in both countries). Many are trilingual, also speaking French and Fongbe, the lingua-franca of southern Benin, while Ewe is spoken as a second language by those Aja living in Togo and Ghana.

Due to severe land shortages in the densely populated Togolese-Beninois border region mentioned above, many Aja have migrated in recent years, seeking arable land for subsistence farming or work in urban centers. There are a significant number of Aja living throughout the coastal region of Benin and Togo, southern Nigeria and Gabon. The urban centers of Cotonou, Lome, Lagos and Libreville all have significant Aja migrant populations.

The Aja, Fon, Ewe, Ga-Adangbe accounted for most of the people carried to the Americas from the Bight of Benin, Togo and Ghana in the transatlantic slave trade prior to the late eighteenth century (when Yoruba people became the more common captives from the region).[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aja_people

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2017
Funjosh:

cc bigfrancis21
THE QUESTION YOU DIRECTED AT bigfrancis is basically waste of time. I can inform you that will try to give you a pseudo information as regards the true state of things. Factors for large concentration of Yoruba in Americas should be a pointer to the needed answer. After all Ibos claims Israelites identity yet, they had no kingly kingdoms. And very unorganized. They lived a republican lifestyle with no central authority. How can such people claim to have been the largest in Americas. They come on Nairaland breaking Yoruba into different groups and not under one ethnic group and you think you can get to the root of matter through him. It is practically impossible. A guy that said Agudas are the only set of people that came back to Yoruba land, especially to Lagos. Does he know king Kosoko asked many Yoruba to return and help build Lagos? Does even know King Akitoye did the same thing?, Does he know some of these Yoruba men that came back still had children and families in Americas in during this period? I thought the JEWS dominate anywhere they find themselves, how come Yoruba Ethnicity in Americas are the largest group? They are even so crazy about it to let the whole world know where their ancestral parents came from was from YORUBA LAND in West Africa, despite their Hispanic looks etc. Yoruba Remain the best and the most envied Ethnicity in the world. Do you know why? google the most researched ethnicity in the world. Be proud of who you are and not stoop low to bring down others because they are better and more organized. Yoruba Rules
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by KingOvoramwen1(m): 8:04pm On Jan 26, 2017
Probz:

I no sabi this nigga. Some of your recent posts suggest you're an Igbo guy and you're here proclaiming Yorubas as the most dominant and influential black nation in the African diaspora. Can't you make up your mind?

I THINK SAY NA ONLY ME NOTICE THIS FRAUD CALLED redbonesmith

2 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:06pm On Jan 26, 2017
Olu317:
THE QUESTION YOU DIRECTED AT bigfrancis is basically waste of time. I can inform you that will try to give you a pseudo information as regards the true state of things. Factors for large concentration of Yoruba in Americas should be a pointer to the needed answer. After all Ibos claims Israelites identity yet, they had no kingly kingdoms. And very unorganized. They lived a republican lifestyle with no central authority. How can such people claim to have been the largest in Americas. They come on Nairaland breaking Yoruba into different groups and not under one ethnic group and you think you can get to the root of matter through him. It is practically impossible. A guy that said Agudas are the only set of people that came back to Yoruba. Does he know some of these Yoruba men that came back still had children and families in Americas in during this period? I thought the JEWS dominate anywhere they find themselves, how come Yoruba Ethnicity in Americas are the largest group? They are even so crazy about it to let the whole world know where their ancestral parents came from was from YORUBA LAND in West Africa, despite their Hispanic looks etc. Yoruba Remain the best and the most envied Ethnicity in the world. Do you know why? google the most researched ethnicity in the world. Be proud of who you are and not stoop low to bring down others because they are better and more organized. Yoruba Rules

@bold...that is false. I said it repeatedly that saros and agudas returned to Yoruba land.

Moreover, what I have posted on this thread are facts from published research, not fantasy make up. You may not take the information lightly as it goes against pre-conceived notions but they are what they are.

The underlying point to this thread is, Yoruba culture is influential in the new world due to their late arrival in the new world in the 18th century, however in terms of numbers, half a million realistically were exported and not all Ifa practitioners are necessarily of lukumi descent.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 8:16pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Here's what I could find:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aja_people
AJA PEOPLE MIGRATED FROM ILE IFE. THEY ARE YORUBA STOCK THAT MIGRATED TO THE PRESENT DAY BÉNIN REPUBLIC AND KINDLY DO YOUR FINDINGS VERY WELL . THEY CREATED THE MONARCHIAL SYSTEM IN ABOMEY, PRECISELY THE DAHOMEY KINGDOM ALONG WITH LOCAL ABORIGINES. THE PROOF IS THAT YORUBA LANGUAGE'S DIALECT IS THE AJA LANGUAGE AND FUSED IT WITH THE ABORIGINES THAT BECAME FON LANGUAGE, WHILE THE AJA PEOPLE PROPER SPEAKS PURE YORUBA DIALECT. THEY ARE TRILINGUAL. THIS IS A FACT.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:25pm On Jan 26, 2017
Olu317:
AJA PEOPLE MIGRATED FROM ILE IFE. THEY ARE YORUBA STOCK THAT MIGRATED TO THE PRESENT DAY BÉNIN REPUBLIC AND KINDLY DO YOUR FINDINGS VERY WELL . THEY CREATED THE MONARCHIAL SYSTEM IN ABOMEY, PRECISELY THE DAHOMEY KINGDOM ALONG WITH LOCAL ABORIGINES. THE PROOF IS THAT YORUBA LANGUAGE'S DIALECT IS THE AJA LANGUAGE AND FUSED IT WITH THE ABORIGINES THAT BECAME FON LANGUAGE, WHILE THE AJA PEOPLE PROPER SPEAKS PURE YORUBA DIALECT. THEY ARE TRILINGUAL. THIS IS A FACT.

Due to close proximity of the Aja and Yoruba, some inter-tribal marriages and relations may have occurred in the past. However, academic sources do not link their origins from the SW of Nigeria. Like I said before, let us deal with facts here, and not dwell in accept this thing I said because I said so.

Even in terms of DNA, Benin/Togo people are different from Yoruba of SW Nigeria.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 8:29pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

@bold...that is false. I said it repeatedly that saros and agudas returned to Yoruba land.

Moreover, what I have posted on this thread are facts from published research, not fantasy make up. You may not take the information lightly as it goes against pre-conceived notions but they are what they are.

The underlying point to this thread is, Yoruba culture is influential in the new world due to their late arrival in the new world in the 18th century, however in terms of numbers, half a million realistically were exported and not all Ifa practitioners are necessarily of lukumi descent.
error on the part of the saros, yes saros didn't come From Americas, do they? do know there were rivalry between them? do you know why? The published books is inaccurate because Yoruba are more than the name ascribed to US .There are so many Yoruba stocks that came from ILE IFE and weren't addressed as Yoruba during the SLAVE TRADE ERA. BUT modernization has made them all accept that name because they are the same stock. Now, I want you to ANSWER ME, WHY IS THAT THERE ISN'T A PROOF THAT IBOS WHOM YOU CLAIMED IN DIASPORA DONT COME TO EASTERN NIGERIA?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 8:30pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

error on the part of the saros, yes saros didn't come From Americas, do they? do know there were rivalry between them? do you know why? The published books is inaccurate because Yoruba are more than the name ascribed to US .There are so many Yoruba stocks that came from ILE IFE and weren't addressed as Yoruba during the SLAVE TRADE ERA. BUT modernization has made them all accept that name because they are the same stock. Now, I want you to ANSWER ME, WHY IS THAT THERE ISN'T A PROOF THAT IBOS WHOM YOU CLAIMED IN DIASPORA DONT COME IN DROVES TO EASTERN NIGERIA?
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by KingOvoramwen1(m): 8:43pm On Jan 26, 2017
Olu317:

TYPICAL YORUBA OZOUR TRYING TO RE-WRITE HISTORY ..... I KNEW IT WOULD BE YOU .... YOU ALWAYS SPREAD YOUR MYOPIC VIEWS ON EVERY THREAD NOT SUPRISED!!!

AM TIRED OF U INFERIORITY COMPLEXEĎ YORUBAS!!

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:54pm On Jan 26, 2017
Olu317:
error on the part of the saros, yes saros didn't come From Americas, do they? do know there were rivalry between them? do you know why? The published books is inaccurate because Yoruba are more than the name ascribed to US .There are so many Yoruba stocks that came from ILE IFE and weren't addressed as Yoruba during the SLAVE TRADE ERA. BUT modernization has made them all accept that name because they are the same stock. Now, I want you to ANSWER ME, WHY IS THAT THERE ISN'T A PROOF THAT IBOS WHOM YOU CLAIMED IN DIASPORA DONT COME IN DROVES TO EASTERN NIGERIA?

Look at this way: 15 people left your house destined for Lagos. From your own end all you know is that 15 people left your house. On their way to Lagos, 4 diverted to Ogun and 11 arrived Lagos. Few weeks later 2 people returned to your house from Ogun and 3 people returned from Lagos. The actual number that arrived and settled in Lagos being the 11 that actually got to Lagos minus 3 that returned = 8, never minding that 15 people originally left your house for Lagos. From this example, the 15 who left your house could be likened to the estimated exports from Yoruba land, those 4 who branched to Ogun could be likened to the saros and the 3 out of 11 who actually arrived Lagos could be likened to the Agudas.

Similarly, an estimated number of 437,700 left Yoruba land, of which some were intercepted and dropped off at SL (they didn't make it to Brazil, Cuba etc.) and some returned to Lagos, and out of the majority that did arrive Brazil, Cuba etc. a small number returned back to Yoruba land. In other words, not all the 437,700 who left Yoruba land actually made it to Brazil, Cuba etc.

As for tribes, I am pretty sure the British pretty much knew the difference between Fon, Igbo, Akan, Ewe, Yoruba etc. and described everyone as such. Europeans were very good at keeping records, and pick up any European books written even in the 15th century, the accuracy still stands till today.

Many years ago, many Yorubas would claim Binis/Edos to have come from them but in recent times such claims are no more since the Bini King asserted his independence from the Yoruba nation.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 8:55pm On Jan 26, 2017
iSlayer:

Small boy.

Big Imp
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by bigfrancis21: 8:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
iSlayer:

Small boy.

RedboneSmith:

Big Imp

Hey guys knock it off. Call it quits please.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 8:57pm On Jan 26, 2017
KingOvoramwen1:

I THINK SAY NA ONLY ME NOTICE THIS FRAUD CALLED redbonesmith

Umunna gi fraud.
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by RedboneSmith(m): 9:00pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Hey guys knock it off. Call it quits please.

You tell him to back off. I didn't direct any comments at him, but he feels he can come from nowhere and dish out insults at me. I be Delta boy. I like quarrel pass food, if that's what he wants.

3 Likes

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by blueskies(f): 9:02pm On Jan 26, 2017
Funjosh:

Yea, dats wat I tried to ask but nobody has been able to answer. I think someone mentioned from the other thread that it cud av been as a result of the shallow nature of the ocean in the bight of benin that prevented ships from sailing thru it or something

cc bigfrancis21

Yea, dats wat I tried to ask but nobody has been able to answer. I think someone mentioned from the other thread that it cud av been as a result of the shallow nature of the ocean in the bight of benin that prevented ships from sailing thru it or something
Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by Olu317(m): 9:27pm On Jan 26, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Look at this way: 15 people left your house destined for Lagos. From your own end all you know is that 15 people left your house. On their way to Lagos, 4 diverted to Ogun and 11 arrived Lagos. Few weeks later 2 people returned to your house from Ogun and 3 people returned from Lagos. The actual number that arrived and settled in Lagos being the 11 that actually got to Lagos minus 3 that returned = 8, never minding that 15 people originally left your house for Lagos. From this example, the 15 who left your house could be likened to the estimated exports from Yoruba land, those 4 who branched to Ogun could be likened to the saros and the 3 out of 11 who actually arrived Lagos could be likened to the Agudas.

Similarly, an estimated number of 437,700 left Yoruba land, of which some were intercepted and dropped off at SL (they didn't make it to Brazil, Cuba etc.) and some returned to Lagos, and out of the majority that did arrive Brazil, Cuba etc. a small number returned back to Yoruba land. In other words, not all the 437,700 who left Yoruba land actually made it to Brazil, Cuba etc.

As for tribes, I am pretty sure the British pretty much knew the difference between Fon, Igbo, Akan, Ewe, Yoruba etc. and described everyone as such. Europeans were very good at keeping records, and pick up any European books written even in the 15th century, the accuracy still stands till today.

Many years ago, many Yorubas would claim Binis/Edos to have come from them but in recent times such claims are no more since the Bini King asserted his independence from the Yoruba nation.
I BEG TO DISAGREE, FON,language came into being because of Yoruba descent of GBE-AJA that mingled with the aboriginals. THE SAME BRITISH AND FRENCH BROKE YORUBA KINGDOMS INTO PIECES BUT GOD WAS ON YORUBA SIDE THAT PEOPLE STILL SUSTAIN THE LANGUAGE .GO TO PARAKOU IN THE NORTHERN PART OF BÉNIN REPUBLIC AND ASKED THEM WHERE THEY CAME FROM? YORUBA OF SOUTH WESTERN NIGERIA HAVE NEVER FOUGHT TO FORCE OTHER YORUBA GROUPS TO BE PART OF THEM BUT NATURALLY BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER. THE BRITISH WERE NEVER SURE OF WHOM ARE YORUBA DESCENDANTS BECAUSE THEY WERE SHOCKED TO HAVE HEARD AND SEEN THE DEPTH OF YORUBA KINGDOMS ORGANISATIONS AND ITS LARGENESS. I HAVE BEEN TO SOME OF THESE PLACES AND INTERACTED WITH THE LOCALS AND THEIR ANCESTRAL LINEAGE IN BÉNIN REPUBLIC STILL POINT TO ILE IFE and not Bini. THE GREATEST BLUNDER THE BRITISH DID WAS TO ALMOST SCATTERED THE PROPER MONARCHIAL SYSTEM TO SUIT THEIR DESIRE. I TELL YOU THAT YORUBA REMAIN THE ENVY OF THE BRITISH IMPERIALIST BECAUSE WE WERE A PAIN IN THEIR BUTT. AND YOU BLUNDERED ON BÉNIN EMPIRE BECAUSE IT NEVER HAD AN EMPIRE BUT A SMALL KINGDOM WHICH WAS RESTRICTED TO ABOMEY ,OUIDAH UNDER GEEZO WAS THEIR HIGHEST REIGN WHEN HE ATTACKED SUBURB YORUBA COUNTRY HOME FAMILIES WHO WERE PEASANT FARMERS. YORUBA DID NOT NATURALLY INVADED DAHOMEY KINGDOM BUT BECAUSE OF THE AJA PEOPLE WHO ARE OF KETU DESCENDANTS AND WHEN SEEK HELP FROM OYO EMPIRE WHEN ASHANTE KINGDOM TERRORISE THEM UNTIL OYO EMPIRE CAME TO THEIR RESCUE AND FOUGHT THE LARGE ARMY OF ASHANTE AND WAS DEFEATED BY OYO EMPIRE WHICH MADE DAHOMEY TO ACCEPT TO BE PAYING TRIBUTE TO OYO EMPIRE AND WHICH THEY DID. SO GET THIS PART RIGHT AND WHEN THE REVOLT HAPPENED, IT WAS BECAUSE OYO EMPIRE HAD COLLAPSED.

1 Like

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by lawani: 10:19pm On Jan 26, 2017
Bigfrancis! You are here again? Okay, listen to yourself. If they did not allow early arrivals (as you imagined) to practice Aborisha, how come they allowed new arrivals?. Can you give an academic answer?. I have already explained to you once that even the Spaniards and Portuguese were not more advanced than the Malians who feared the Oyo! The Oyo capital was bigger than the Malian capital and the Malians were peers of the Moors who were masters of Portugal and Spain!
The Yoruba went with the Portuguese and Spaniards to the new world AS SETTLERS! You understand? I believe even before the British! Dont be putting Yoruba and Igbo on same scale my friend!.

When Oyo fell, Germans took a post in Togo mid 19th century before then all of Ashanti and etc were one federation with Oyo and Oyo would have been selling dissidents like Ijesas on the Slave coast from 15th century to late 19th century when the trade peaked. When trade peaked, traders preferred Yoruba and paid higher for Yorubas, so majority of slaves exported from even Calabar were Yorubas and many Yorubas were bought by Igbos as farmhands. They are now Osus. Gey your acts together for an Igbo renaissance, you cant change South American Yorubas to Igbos!

To back up my assertion that majority of slaves exported from Calabar were Yorubas, See an Ijebu man sold by Ijaws on the bight of Biafra

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osifekunde

So, please stop wasting your energy to attempt Yoruba reduction!. It is futile. Those people dont want to be seen as anything other than Yorubas. Very soon the Osus in your place will be claimed by the Yorubas if you are not careful!.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 by iSlayer: 10:37pm On Jan 26, 2017
[s]
RedboneSmith:

You tell him to back off. I didn't direct any comments at him, but he feels he can come from nowhere and dish out insults at me. I be Delta boy. I like quarrel pass food, if that's what he wants.
[/s]

Smh.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

African Woman Living In American / What Is "nigerian Look" Stop The Ignorance Already! / Stop Promoting Igbo Culture Says Dein Of Agbor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 132
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.