Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,999 members, 7,806,908 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:45 AM

Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy (41046 Views)

Are Yoruba Changing Bight Of Benin To Bight Of Oyo? Or Was It Truly Bight Of Oyo / How The bight Of Benin Was Named After The Benin Empire / Comparing Slave Numbers from Bight of Benin and Bight of Biafra from 1400 - 1865 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 6:35pm On Jan 21, 2017
laudate:

Are all the adherents of the Carabali Isuama and participants of the Carabali Olugo, necessarily of Igbo descent? Just asking. undecided

Most likely. A text indicated that only descendants of Isuama and Elugu (Olugo) were allowed to be members. It later included members from other tribes but only those of Isuama descent could hold executive posts.

Both are a few pieces of evidence of Igbo traditional survival in the new world.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 6:41pm On Jan 21, 2017
YourNemesis:

Well, if that is the case, then the Senegambian tribes, most especially Atlantid tribes like Wolof and Mandes, as well as Angola-Congo tribes such as the Kongos and Mbundus would take the rice for the US. Not Igbo.
Infact THREE African slave regions outnumber the Bight of Biafra in the USA (Akan area, Senegambia/Mande Area AND Kongo Area). Maybe even 4, With Sierra Leone being the Fourth. The Igbo impute in the US is very much overrated.

But do these tribes get most of the cultural recognition? NOPE.

Cos from Data, the only place where Bight of Biafra outnumber any of the Three groups is the Virginia region (Which is already well known) Hence why that Igbo village was situated there.

Moreso, The US received one of the smallest imputes of slaves in the new World. The Bulk went to places like Brazil and Haiti.
Trust me when I say all these things you are talking about don't mean Ish. People will always identify with Interesting and richer cultures.

Have I said anything different from this previously? This is just repeating my earlier posts which I have attached below.

bigfrancis21:

Figures do not lie.
[img]https://tracingafricanroots.files./2015/05/5totalregionalorigins.gif?w=869[/img]

bigfrancis21:

Listen up, the Congolese, Angolans, Akan may have even been more in numbers than Igbo slaves and all these groups with major numbers had very little bits of culture that survived. It is not an Igbo thing, it is a matter of when you arrived or the period in time when the tribes arrived.

Compare the figures exported from Bight of Biafra and Bight of Benin. Exports from Biafra was consistent from the beginning of slavery (1400), and dropping towards the end, while exports from Benin (Lagos and Badagri ports) did not pick up until half-way into the slave trade era (1751) and rose towards the end (when Lagos sent its most slaves). So once again, it was as a result of the time when Yoruba slaves arrived the new world. Figures show that Yoruba slaves were the last to arrive the new world, and for them their origins were still fresh in mind and they taught other slaves about mama africa and their roots!

Remember, not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry!

[img]https://tracingafricanroots.files./2015/06/chambers-2002-table1-estimated-percentage-of-igbo-captives1.jpg?w=869[/img]

Remember, the purpose of your thread is quantifying Nigerian slaves exported from Bights of Benin and Biafra. In terms of numbers, one is clearly 3 times the other. In terms of culture, Yoruba culture is popular because it was the last to arrive and the most recent of all African traditions, hence the popularity. I reiterate the umpteenth time, not all adherents of Ifa are necessarily of Yoruba descent. I believe I mentioned previously that over half of the world today practice some form of Western culture, by language (English), or dressing (suits, t-shirts etc.), or customs (Halloween, Christmas etc.), or food etc. However that we practice western culture does not make us European or Westerners.

In terms of DNA, there will be 3 times the number of diasporan blacks carrying DNA from Bight of Biafra vs Bight of Benin. That some of them adhere to Ifa religion does not change the fact that many of them could be descendants of Congo, Angola, Bight of Biafra etc. given that Yoruba slaves sent overall were under 500,000.

Succinctly put, in terms of diasporan blacks carrying more Nigerian DNA...give it up to the Igbos. grin

In terms of the most popular Nigerian culture in the black diaspora, give it up to the Yorubas. grin
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by laudate: 7:31pm On Jan 21, 2017
pazienza:
Carabali Isuama and Carabali Elugu, are not religious practices to be adhered to. They are names of Igbo groups, Isuama and Elugu, who were shipped out via the Carabali slave markets at the Bight of Biafra.

Guy, was my remark addressed to you? How many times have I told you on different threads to refrain from addressing me? What part of 'get off my mentions', don't you understand? shocked
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by laudate: 7:33pm On Jan 21, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Most likely. A text indicated that only descendants of Isuama and Elugu (Olugo) were allowed to be members. It later included members from other tribes but only those of Isuama descent could hold executive posts.

Both are a few pieces of evidence of Igbo traditional survival in the new world.

Quite understandable. Thanks for the explanation. undecided
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 7:44pm On Jan 21, 2017
laudate:

Quite understandable. Thanks for the explanation. undecided

You are welcome. undecided
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 7:45pm On Jan 21, 2017
laudate:

Guy, was my remark addressed to you? How many times have I told you on different threads to refrain from addressing me? What part of 'get off my mentions', don't you understand? shocked

I suppose anyone can respond to you here....dude it's a public forum.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by laudate: 7:50pm On Jan 21, 2017
bigfrancis21:
I suppose anyone can respond to you here....dude it's a public forum.

Not him, pls! Public forum or not! He has a history of responding in an uncouth way to my posts. Let him get off my mentions!
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:12pm On Jan 21, 2017
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:17pm On Jan 21, 2017
Ibo Granmoun : The Roots of Haitian Democracy

Ibo Granmoun O

Granmoun O

Ibo Granmoun O

Lakay Ibo

Ibo Granmoun O

The Ibos are their own authority

Their own authority

In Iboland

As Haiti continues to struggle to build a democracy, we poise to remember one root of our democracy. Although the word democracy is from Greece, the concept of democracy arose independently in other societies. It arose among the Ibo people of today’s Nigeria, where people’s right to have a voice in how they are ruled was respected. The ancient Ibo people of Nigeria had a democratic state. Unlike their neighbors, the Nago, the Guedevi, and the Mayi, who were ruled by a noble class, the Ibo people were not ruled by monarchs. They had no kings, nor queens. The Ibo people were their own authority. Here in the song, this concept is presented as Ibo Granmoun, meaning the Ibos take orders from no one.

The Ibo people were ruled by a parliament called Igwe. This body was comprised of elders nominated from each lakou, the Haitian term for an extended family compound. As a result of this ancient Ibo democratic government, today there is a popular expression among the Ibo people of modern day Nigeria: Ibo ama eze, which means the Ibos are their own authority. Across the Atlantic, Ibo ama eze has been translated into Creole as Ibo granmoun.

So intolerant were the Ibo people of taking orders, that Ibo victims of enslavement in Haiti and throughout the Americas had a higher suicide rate than other Africans. This high suicide rate is remembered in the Vodou expression Ibo touye tèt li. In the United States there is a region called Ibo Landing in Georgia which is thought to have been a place where a group of Ibo people committed suicide rather than be enslaved.

Among the many Ibo influences present in Haiti, perhaps the most enduring is the Ibo passion for self-determination. That passion helped to fuel our fore-parents efforts to combat slavery. As their descendants, we continue to honor the Ibo and all the other nations who fought to create a more democratic Haiti. No Africans in Haiti were willingly enslaved and people of all African nations rebelled against slavery. Nonetheless, because of the Ibo passion for democracy, they became the group most associated with rebellion against slavery. As such, in Haiti, when we honor the memory of Ibo Ancestors we commonly perform dance movements symbolic of their breaking the chains of enslavement. In Haiti, this rebellious way of dancing is called the Ibo dance. Other Ibo influences in Haitian culture are numerous and include the term sou for community banking and the use of M as a short form for mwen (me).

Although the Ibo people are remembered throughout Haiti, most of the world knows the Ibo people through the writings of the internationally acclaimed writer, the late, Chinua Achebe. His book, Things Fall Apart, is the most widely read modern African book in the world. His success is just another way of showing Ibo granmoun.

http://www.bookmanlit.com/ibogranmouno.html
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:19pm On Jan 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMn9D86ThE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEIny-mM7G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h65sHEFsLCg
Ibo Granmoun O - In praise of elder wisdom in Igbo culture.

Interesting how despite over 200 years ago, Haitians pronounce 'Ibo' with the right falling tones as Igbos natively pronounce it. The drum beats and drums are very similar to Igbo beats and drums.

Igbo ifluence was so strong in Haiti that till today in Haiti anything great or of significance is called 'ibo'. Ibo, in Haiti, is a synonym for 'great'.

In continued reverence for the Ibo ancestors, one of Haiti's popular radio stations is named Radio Ibo.

http://tunein.com/radio/Radio-IBO-985-s13533/

One of Haiti's most popular Hotels/beaches is named after Ibo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMF6nIypuns

http://aroundguides.com/19793314

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:31pm On Jan 21, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCTPMTy5M5A

Ibole Ibole Woy Yo (Ibo Nation Song) in the Caribbean nation of Cariaccou
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 8:35pm On Jan 21, 2017

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:25pm On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Listen up, the Congolese, Angolans, Akan may have even been more in numbers than Igbo slaves and all these groups with major numbers had very little bits of culture that survived. It is not an Igbo thing, it is a matter of when you arrived or the period in time when the tribes arrived.

Compare the figures exported from Bight of Biafra and Bight of Benin. Exports from Biafra was consistent from the beginning of slavery (1400), and dropping towards the end, while exports from Benin (Lagos and Badagry ports) did not pick up until half-way into the slave trade era (1751) and rose towards the end (when Lagos sent its most slaves). So once again, it was as a result of the time when Yoruba slaves arrived the new world. Figures show that Yoruba slaves were the last to arrive the new world, and for them their origins were still fresh in mind and they taught other slaves about mama africa and their roots!

Remember, not all Ifa practitioners in the diaspora are of Yoruba ancestry!

[img]https://tracingafricanroots.files./2015/06/chambers-2002-table1-estimated-percentage-of-igbo-captives1.jpg?w=869[/img]

When I tell you that the Yoruba diaspora is larger than the Igbo diaspora, I wasn't Joking or mistaking facts.
Fortunately for us, slave exports from the Bight of Benin (otherwise known as the Slave coast) is the best documented and recorded region of all the Slave embarkation points on the Western coast of Africa.
The mistake you are making that makes you place the number of exported Yoruba slaves at 300,000 (lol) is that you are matching embarkation port names/locations with ethnicity, No - That is the most unscientific thing ever to do.

Yoruba slaves ( sad ) were a great part of 'exports' from ports like Ouidah, Allada and Jakin - Which were the ports in the middle bight used by the Fons and other Gbe speakers. I have explained the reason to you earlier. The Yoruba slaves there were gotten from raids by Dahomey's soldiers, while slaves fro the ports further east - Which emerged later in the slave trade came mostly from the Yoruba internecine wars.

Below is a sample of Slaves taken from Various Bight of Benin ports, and you can clearly see the Numbers.

1.67 Million Yoruba speaking slaves were said to have been taken from the Bight of Benin out of a total of about 2.4 Million slaves from this region - Which is about 69.5% of all Bight of Benin slaves being Yoruba.

In which world is 1.27 Million more than 1.67 Million?

cc: Laudate, Lushore

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:29pm On Jan 23, 2017
bigfrancis21:

Ibo Granmoun O - In praise of elder wisdom in Igbo culture.

Interesting how despite over 200 years ago, Haitians pronounce 'Ibo' with the right falling tones as Igbos natively pronounce it. The drum beats and drums are very similar to Igbo beats and drums.

Igbo ifluence was so strong in Haiti that till today in Haiti anything great or of significance is called 'ibo'. Ibo, in Haiti, is a synonym for 'great'.

In continued reverence for the Ibo ancestors, one of Haiti's popular radio stations is named Radio Ibo.

lol, All these things you are posting are like 5% of the entrenchment of Yoruba culture in the Americas.
I am not even joking. grin

If I start posting such on Yoruba diaspora culture - I would need an entire thread of its own.... From Buenos Aires up to New - York, the Yoruba culture is fully represented across the entire Western Hemisphere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by Probz(m): 11:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
YourNemesis:

lol, All these things you are posting are like 5% of the entrenchment of Yoruba culture in the Americas.

If I start posting such on Yoruba diaspora culture - I would need an entire thread of its own.... From Buenos Aires up to New - York, the Yoruba culture is fully represented across the entire Western Hemisphere.

The only nation on the planet where Yorubas are found in greater numbers than the Igbo is the UK. That's a fact.
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:53pm On Jan 23, 2017
Probz:

The only nation on the planet where Yorubas are found in greater numbers than the Igbo is the UK. That's a fact.

Guy - Just stop repeating this beer palor talk abeg.
Just because there is this popular notion that Igbos are good travellers does not mean Igbos outnumber Yorubas everywhere except UK... Pssshh . And your statement also reeks of hasty generalization.

I have seen the results of the Canadian and Irish census boards, and Yorubas Outnumber Igbos in both - almost by a ratio of 2 to 1.
Igbos can't outnumber Yorubas in France and Belgium lol that's impossible (And you know why).

Even within West Africa here, Yorubas Outnumber Igbos in Ghana, Cote D'Ivoire, Burkina Faso, Niger, Sierra Leone Etc... So what are you talking?

And these are just the countries within my knowledge.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 11:55pm On Jan 23, 2017
Of the approximately 1.1 Million slaves that disembarked on the coast of Salvador de Bahia - 774,000 of Them representing 70.4% came from the bight of Benin - Of Which Yoruba was the major culture.

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:05am On Jan 24, 2017
This submission further buttresses my point that correlating embarkation ports with ethnicity can lead to misleading conclusions.
Throughout the period of slavery in the bight of Benin region Yoruba save merchants have always used the ports further west, especially When Dahomey was under Oyos political clout as a Vassal state.

Trade only shifted East to the ports of Lagos/Onim, Badagry, Porto Novo (Which was still under oyo), and Epe, After the Dahomeans broke free of Oyo control. Oyo directed its slave cargo to these ports , even though they were ot as well suited as those further west and were prone to attacks - While the Dahomean Fon Kingdom still populated its own ports with the numbers gotten from their slave raiding expeditions on the neighboring Yoruba tribes.

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:15am On Jan 24, 2017
^^

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 12:27am On Jan 24, 2017

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:20am On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

When I tell you that the Yoruba diaspora is larger than the Igbo diaspora, I wasn't Joking or mistaking facts.
Fortunately for us, slave exports from the Bight of Benin (otherwise known as the Slave coast) is the best documented and recorded region of all the Slave embarkation points on the Western coast of Africa.
The mistake you are making that makes you place the number of exported Yoruba slaves at 300,000 (lol) is that you are matching embarkation port names/locations with ethnicity, No - That is the most unscientific thing ever to do.

Yoruba slaves ( sad ) were a great part of 'exports' from ports like Ouidah, Allada and Jakin - Which were the ports in the middle bight used by the Fons and other Gbe speakers. I have explained the reason to you earlier. The Yoruba slaves there were gotten from raids by Dahomey's soldiers, while slaves fro the ports further east - Which emerged later in the slave trade came mostly from the Yoruba internecine wars.

Below is a sample of Slaves taken from Various Bight of Benin ports, and you can clearly see the Numbers.

1.67 Million Yoruba speaking slaves were said to have been taken from the Bight of Benin out of a total of about 2.4 Million slaves from this region - Which is about 69.5% of all Bight of Benin slaves being Yoruba.

In which world is 1.27 Million more than 1.67 Million?

cc: Laudate, Lushore

This dude is so grin grin grin Where do I start from to school you? You need me to teach you mathematics?

Aha, *rolls sleeves up*, let me educate you on what you missed. grin

Table 2 you posted below, the authors claimed they calculated the figures in table 2 from table 1, which is for the period of 1826 to 1839, the period which time and time again has been said to be the major period Yoruba slaves dominated in the Bight of Benin slave history.

Now how did they arrive at their overestimated 1.67 million? Here's what they did: they took the percentage or ratio of Yoruba slaves exported from Bight of Benin between 1826 to 1839, which is about 62.5%, and using this ratio multiplied it to 25-year periods before 1826 and after 1839, which is a ridiculous overestimate given that the ratio of Yoruba slaves in other year periods before 1826 and after 1839 was not constant. Once again, the Yoruba ratio peaked between 1826 to 1839, being the period of Oyo and Dahomey wars when Dahomey women warriors attacked Yoruba villages and often sold entire villages into slavery. Now, slavery began at about 1400 and lasted till around 1870. From 1400 to 1650, the ratio of Yoruba slaves was almost zero, if not zero. From 1651 to the 1700s, activity from the Bight of Benin picks up but slaves from the Yoruba interior were insignificant during this period. Majority of the slaves sold between 1651 up till late 1700s would have come from Fon, Ewe, Ga tribes etc. as Yoruba land did not actively participate in slavery until the attack/fall of Oyo kingdom. However, between the late 18th century (1780 to 1799) and the early 19th century (1800 - 1840), as the Yoruba-Dahomey fighting begin, we begin to see the Yoruba slave presence pick up, reaching its peak between 1826 and 1850, as seen in the image below. In other words, of all periods in the slave history of the bight of Benin, the Yoruba ratio was only the highest between 1826 to 1850, and at any given year periods before 1826, the Yoruba ratio was much lesser or insignificant, which again is proof that this period coincided with the period of Oyo-Dahomey wars and majority of the slaves in the market this time were mainly Yoruba captives captured by Dahomey women warriors and sold into slavery. For example, in the image attached, Lagos port did not record any activity from 1400 until 1750. Thus, applying ratios gotten from 1826 to 1839 to 1650 to 1749 for Lagos port is ridiculous. Toyin, the author of this book, is that how you do your mathematical calculations? undecided undecided Mathematically, it does not add up to take a ratio from a 14-year period or a period when the ratio favors you and assume the ratio was constant all throughout other year periods and do a blanket multiplication and arrive at 1.67 million. For the fact that the Yoruba ratio in the Bight of Benin was not consistent at all times, mathematically, 1.67m is a fallacy and such a figure does not hold water. grin grin

The Dahomey Revolt
In 1823 Dahomey was reported to have raided villages that were under the protection of Oyo for slaves due to the high demand for them. Oyo immediately demanded a huge tribute from King Gezo for the unauthorized incursion, to which Gezo dispatched his Brazilian agent, Francisco Félix de Sousa, to the Alaafin at Oyo to make peace. The peace talks eventually broke down and Oyo attacked Dahomey.[49] The Oyo army was decisively defeated, ending Oyo's hegemony over Dahomey.[50] After gaining its independence, Dahomey began raiding the corridor.[12]

The figures given in table 2.2 are as-is or in thousands.

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:20am On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

The little I put up are just bits of evidence against someone's earlier claim about no bit of Igbo elements surviving in the new world. For the umpteenth time, Yoruba culture is the most popular of Nigerian culture in the new world, but not all Ifa practitioners are necessarily of Yoruba descent. I said that severally before. How you get worked up over evidence of Igbo cultural survival beats me. grin grin
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:27am On Jan 24, 2017
Maybe I should take a ratio of orange exports of all fruit exports from Nigeria between 2000 and 2005, and assume the ratio to be constant, and using that ratio multiply it to 5 year periods before 2000, i.e. 1980 - 1985, 1986 - 1990, 1990 - 1995, 1996 to 2000 and arrive at some ridiculous figure for the amount of orange exported from Nigeria from 1980 to 2005. grin grin shocked
Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:33am On Jan 24, 2017
More information.

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 1:43am On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

The little I put up are just bits of evidence against someone's earlier claim about no bit of Igbo elements surviving in the new world. For the umpteenth time, Yoruba culture is the most popular of Nigerian culture in the new world, but not all Ifa practitioners are necessarily of Yoruba descent. I said that severally before. How you get worked up over evidence of Igbo cultural survival beats me. grin grin

How am I worked up about it?
I am only telling you that it pales in comparison to Yoruba cultural retention.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:48am On Jan 24, 2017
cc Probz, Pazienza, blueskies
Source after source, slave numbers for Yoruba from the Bight of Benin region are consistent and all point to less than 500,000 sold overall.

Snapshots of estimated Yoruba slaves sold between 1640 and 1860:
https://books.google.com/books?id=k0gVVh9jwF4C&pg=PA341&lpg=PA341&dq=estimate+of+yoruba+slaves+sold&source=bl&ots=aasmOMUfY2&sig=za6dmr-aNmIQkiHY2XXZDemCArw&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwix9f3IxNnRAhVMRiYKHZ19BrQ4ChDoAQgmMAI#v=onepage&q=estimate%20of%20yoruba%20slaves%20sold&f=false

Once more, this author, Patrick Manning, confirms more realistic numbers of Yoruba slaves exported. Summing up the numbers from images 1 and 2, the total number of Yoruba slaves exported from 1640 to 1860 is estimated at 437,700, the actual number settling in the new world most likely a figure between 300,000 to 400,000 after subtracting the lukumi slaves on their way to the new world intercepted by the British and dumped in Sierra Leone and those who made it to Brazil and Cuba but returned to Yoruba land (Agudas).

cc YourNemesis, laudate, lushore grin grin

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 1:56am On Jan 24, 2017
Once again, the image below confirms that Yoruba slave numbers were insignificant (2% - 10%) in the Bight of Benin slave trade, even dropping to as low as 2% in 1710 shocked shocked, from 1640 to 1740, then we begin to see slight increases from 16% in the 1750s to 53% in 1820s, to as high as 85% in the 1830s (once again during the period of Oyo-Dahomean wars) and dropping to 79% between 1840s and 1860s.

Interesting! The Aja peoples overwhelmingly dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade from as high as 97% shocked in the 1680s up until 1800s (49%) and were at par with Yoruba slaves at 36% in the 1810s.

Once again, the only period Yoruba slaves dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade is between 1820 to 1860 during the fall of the Oyo empire and the Oyo-Dahomean wars.

Realistic figure from SW Nigeria: 437,700, still within the initial estimate of 456,500.

1.67m ko, highest ni. grin

cc YourNemesis, Laudate, Lushore grin

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 2:03am On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:
Once again, the image below confirms that Yoruba slave numbers were insignificant (2% 10%) in the Bight of Benin slave trade, even dropping to as low as 2% in 1710 shocked shocked, from 1640 to 1740, then we begin to see slight increases from 16% in the 1750s to 53% in 1820s, to as high as 85% in the 1830s (once again during the period of Oyo-Dahomean wars cheesy) and dropping to 79% between 1840s and 1860s.

Interesting! The Aja peoples overwhelmingly dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade from as high as 90% in the 1640s up until 1800s (49%) and were at par with Yoruba slaves at 36% in the 1810s.

Once again, the only period Yoruba slaves dominated the Bight of Benin slave trade is between 1810 to 1860 during the fall of the Oyo empire and the Oyo-Dahomean wars.

Realistic figure from SW Nigeria: 437,700, still within the initial estimate of 456,500.

1.67m ko, highest ni. grin

cc YourNemesis, Laudate, Lushore grin

lol, this person simply took all the slaves from the Western and middle Bight of Benin ports, and labelled them "Aja".
Aja in itself is an umbrella term for all Gbe. And we all know not all the slaves from that region were "Aja".
He is doing the same calculation you have already done here on page 1.

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 2:08am On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

lol, this person simply took all the slaves from the Western and middle Bight of Benin ports, and labelled them "Aja".
Aja in itself is an umbrella term for Gba. And we all know not all the slaves from that region were "Aja".
He is doing the same calculation you have already done here.

First off, Patrick Manning is a researcher, you are not. A lot goes into publishing a book, including dotting your Is and crossing your Ts. If you think otherwise of his publication, then provide evidence against it. 437,700 to 456,500 taken from Yoruba land is a more realistic figure biko. 1.67m is a far cry. How can you assume 1.67m Yoruba slaves sold in the 1800s, what was the population of Yorubas in the early to mid 1800s to begin with? Not up to 2million (see image attached). Had 1.67m Yorubas had been sold into slavery, that is way over 70% of the population, then the current population of Yorubas should have been much lesser than it currently is and Yorubas would possibly be number 4 or 5 in terms of population figures in modern day Nigeria.

1.67m Yorubas out of less than 2 million overall population sold into slavery? Haba bros you check am na. Toyin don sell agbo give you finish. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 2:11am On Jan 24, 2017
bigfrancis21:

First off, Patrick Manning is a researcher, you are not. A lot goes into publishing a book, including dotting your Is and crossing your Ts. If you think otherwise of his publication, then provide evidence against it. 437,700 to 456,500 taken from Yoruba land is a more realistic figure biko. 1.67m is a far cry. How can you assume 1.67m Yoruba slaves sold in the 1800s, what was the population of Yorubas in the 1800s to begin with? In the 3 million range. Had 1.67m Yorubas had been sold into slavery, that is way over 50% of the population, then the current population of Yorubas should have been much lesser and Yorubas would possibly be number 4 or 5 in terms of population figures in modern day Nigeria.

1.67m Yorubas out of 3 million overall sold into slavery? Haba bros you check am na. Toyin don sell agbo give you finish. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

And what was the Igbo population at the time which 1.2 Million slaves were sold?

2 Likes

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by YourNemesis: 2:14am On Jan 24, 2017
Infact what was the total population of SS Africa at the time 13 million slaves were sold into the Americas?
You can't use population then to justify what the population will be now at all.

1 Like

Re: Slaves from The Bight of Benin Vs The Bight of Biafra- Numbers & Cultural Legacy by bigfrancis21: 2:18am On Jan 24, 2017
YourNemesis:

And what was the Igbo population at the time which 1.2 Million slaves were sold?

Possibly way more than the Yoruba population of 2m in the late 1800s, probably between 4m to 5m. Remember also that for the Bight of Biafra slave numbers, the Igbo exports are more spread out or distributed over year periods from as early as 1470 to 1860. Thus, the 1.27m figure estimate for Igbo slaves spans over nearly 400 years from 1470 to 1860 (390 years), whereas the Yoruba figure estimate of 437,700 spans from 1650 to 1860 (217 years, the major peak period being between 1820 and 1860). In other words, the longer the presence in slavery, the more the numbers exported.

Speaking of which, a population census of southern Nigeria performed in the early 1900s indicated that the Igbo population was highest followed by the Yoruba, which again confirms early population figures for the 1800s and the percentages of exports taken from them.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

15 Reasons You Should Be Proud To Be A Nigerian(pics) / Children Of Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Olayiwola Adeyemi (Photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Lamidi Adeyemi Night Burial As Per Yoruba Ìṣẹ̀ṣe Religious Rites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 115
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.