Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,508 members, 7,808,862 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia (48061 Views)

Gambia Sells Yahya Jammeh's Cars, Planes To Pay Off Debt / Troops Enter The Gambia To Secure Barrow’s Return / "Capture Yahya Jammeh Alive Or Dead": ECOWAS Issues Last Command (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by oatzeal(m): 6:17am On Jan 20, 2017
[img]http://1.bp..com/-aNCnHwtmEiQ/WIGYOONF1JI/AAAAAAAC9-k/-gls4ZLk1Swmc6vv6QNnvJ_CrsrvR_6zQCLcB/s640/ja.jpg[/img]

The whereabouts of former president Yahya Jammeh is unknown as military forces of the Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) crossed from Senegal into Gambia.

This is coming hours after President Adama Barrow was sworn into office, the African Press Agency reported Thursday.

Long convoys of military vehicles with armed soldiers entered the troubled nation through the border town of Karang, resident Abdoulie Bah told dpa.

The troops are expected to search for long-term ruler Yahya Jammeh, who refuses to give up power despite losing the Dec. 1, 2016 presidential election to Barrow.
UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres expressed his “deep concern” about Jammeh’s refusal to step aside.
The UN Security Council voted unanimously to back Barrow and called for a peaceful transition of power.
The resolution called on former president Jammeh “to carry out a peaceful and orderly transition process,” and to transfer power to Barrow in accordance with the Gambian constitution.

It also supported ECOWAS “in its commitment to ensure the respect of the will of the people … as expressed in the results of the December 1 elections.”
Earlier on Thursday, Barrow was sworn in as Gambian president in neighbouring Senegal, after weeks of political impasse caused by Jammeh’s refusal to accept the election result.

“This is a day no Gambian will ever forget,” said Barrow after he was sworn into office by the president of the Gambia Bar Association, Sherif Tambedou, at Gambia’s embassy in Senegal’s capital, Dakar.

Barrow promised to work towards national unity and establish good governance through “comprehensive” constitutional and legal reforms.

“We will now build a Gambia where what you know counts more than who you know,” Barrow said in a promise to end decades of nepotism and corruption.
Barrow’s inauguration came after an escalating political standoff triggered by Jammeh’s rejection of the election results.

Barrow had been scheduled to be inaugurated in Gambia, but the ceremony was jeopardised by Jammeh’s refusal to give up power. He is Gambia’s third president since independence from British rule in 1965.
During his inaugural speech, Barrow asked Gambia’s security forces to remain loyal to the constitution and commanded all soldiers to remain in their barracks.
Armed soldiers found outside their barracks would be regarded as “rebels,” the newly sworn-in president said.
The call for peace comes after Barrow had to flee for security reasons to Dakar on Saturday, after multiple attempts by West African leaders to convince Jammeh, who ruled Gambia for 22 years, to step down failed.
Jammeh’s whereabouts were unknown on Thursday.

http://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2017/01/19/jammeh-flees-as-west-african-troops-enter-gambia/

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by oatzeal(m): 6:17am On Jan 20, 2017
hmmmm... he is a trouble manufacturer

4 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by prince4pro(m): 6:21am On Jan 20, 2017
I think say he be strong man grin

26 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by ThatIgboBoy: 6:22am On Jan 20, 2017
He just had to wait till he was disgraced out of office.

Hope this our presido will do like Oga jonah by 2019 because he will surely lose

61 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by ishowdotgmail(m): 6:23am On Jan 20, 2017
Yanga dey sleep na trouble make am

He's doom for if I may say grin
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Boleyndynasty2(f): 6:33am On Jan 20, 2017
Who the gods want to kill they first make him deaf. This man is just a good example of that, its not like he hasn't tasted power but to step down now for someone else he refused, AFRICANS!!!

16 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Defaramade(m): 6:53am On Jan 20, 2017
He should stay there na, sheybi he was forming van damme before ni cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by YesNo(m): 6:57am On Jan 20, 2017
Learn to leave when the ovation is loudest.

3 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Funlordjnr: 7:18am On Jan 20, 2017
That is where I want to be buried! Shogbo?

44 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Mrdecent(m): 7:22am On Jan 20, 2017
From Palace to hole

14 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by angelTI(f): 7:27am On Jan 20, 2017
Why is the man always dressed like a priest undecided undecided

So he is lily-livered after all the bragado grin grin grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by veekid(m): 8:12am On Jan 20, 2017

African leaders and their constituted authority

5 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Nobody: 8:13am On Jan 20, 2017
there must be a motivation behind this united front against Jammeh, all this "...he must hand over power to the duly elected barrow" na cover up. something sinister is behind this.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Royalfurnitures: 8:13am On Jan 20, 2017
Everyone knows he'd run away at the end, but in my opinion the new president should just let him be

Pls check out my signature for quality and durable furniture

2 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by hucienda: 8:13am On Jan 20, 2017
lol .. ee don run cheesy

country wey even no even reach any local government area for naija.

15 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by frankmoney(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
You have enjoyed power for 24 years , why not just let it slide
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Baba4dgals: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Am reali surprise evry1 is tinkin in dsame direction on dis issue...

I tink there's more to it for him not to hand over d power to marrow cos he has tink ahead wat is gonna apen to him and his cabinet after handing over taking Nigeria situation as an example...

There are som pple dat is gonna talk to him and ask him if he's out of his mind for accepting defeat jst lik dat cos if he does his cabinets might b facing same tin Jonathan's cabinet is facing now but wit all d drama he played now i dnt tink d present govt will be able to do any witch hunt again

1 Like

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by babyfaceafrica: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Rubbish news...did they reach the Villa and them no see am there?

1 Like

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by HAH: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Body for tellam
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by verygudbadguy(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
m
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by lonelydora: 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
Mbanu! Make him come fight nah. The Gambian army are very smart to have made an announcement they will jejely surrender and not fight once the ECOWAS arrive.

I knew he will run away when the time reach.

3 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by sod09(m): 8:14am On Jan 20, 2017
i cant believe dis asshole ran away
fucking coward
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Onukube1(f): 8:15am On Jan 20, 2017
He should have waited na
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by kolnel: 8:15am On Jan 20, 2017
Coward
With all his actions, I thought he preferred the gbagbo treatment instead of being a hero like uncle Jonathan

6 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by WilliamsNedd: 8:15am On Jan 20, 2017
The source is questionable. Waiting to get the real gist from a reliable online news vendor.
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by datola: 8:15am On Jan 20, 2017
Power corrupts

1 Like

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Nobody: 8:15am On Jan 20, 2017
Hahaha, the guy no wan die grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by airminem(f): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2017
Gambia Men Are Actually Lazy, Women Do Almst All The Tough Works. Nigeria Is A Bully To Its Africa Members.

2 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by bettercreature(m): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2017
sod09:
i cant believe dis asshole ran away
fucking coward
It's beyond my imagination grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by willian10: 8:16am On Jan 20, 2017
So, this man no get mind

12 Likes

Re: Yahya Jammeh Flees As West African Troops Enter Gambia by Otutu1(m): 8:16am On Jan 20, 2017
Jammeh why you waste our time and fuel,
I wanted to see a small war sha

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Oil Spill In Mauritius Turns Crystal Clear Indian Ocean Black (Photos) / Someone In The UK Put Down A Million-Pound Bet On Joe Biden / Mob Strip Lady For Indecent Dressing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.