Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,569 members, 7,809,078 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:29 PM

Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) (21121 Views)

Bribe Seeking Police Officer Shoots Two Drivers In Kogi State (Photos) / Robber Begs Mob To Remove Charmed Ring From Finger Before Dying / Lady Accuses KAI Of Injuring Her Dad And Beating Her Brother To Coma (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by dre11(m): 6:58pm On Jan 20, 2017
Bribe-Seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma For Resisting Extortion

Two Nigerian police officers in the Bariga area of Lagos State, frustrated that a motorcyclist would not let them extort a bribe from him, instigated a mob to beat up their victim, leaving him comatose, our correspondent found.

The horrific attack took place in the early hours of Tuesday, January 17th, 2017. After failing in their bid to extort the motorcyclist, the two plain-clothes officers rallied a mob by raising an alarm that their victim had attempted to kidnap a baby on his motorcycle.

The police officers then began beating the victim, Awalu Yenusa, and later stood aside and watched as a mob set upon the innocent man, pummeling him to a near-coma.

Narrating his ordeal yesterday, Mr. Yenusa told our correspondent that he was taking one of his regular passengers and her child to school when he saw a police officer disguised in his usual mufti wear and harassing bikers for bribes.

According to him, he was able to recognize the police officer from previous encounters when the officer had tried to extort him. He then advised his passengers to alight from the bike and to meet him at a point past the checkpoint mounted by the rogue officers. However, one of the police officers had already sighted him and moved to ambush him. In a bid to escape the officer, Mr. Yenusa said he sped off, with the child of the woman who had alighted still on his bike.

According to him, the child’s mother cried out that her child was on the fleeing bike. The woman’s yell alerted the public. The two police officers, one in mufti, the other in his uniform, then ran after him.

“The policemen hit me with an object on my head, and then more people gathered and began to beat me while the police held me,” said Mr. Yenusa. He added, “That was all I knew until I opened my eyes in the hospital bed the next day.”

“I know the [officer] in mufti very well. He had stopped me before, disguising himself as a passenger, but then announced to me that he was a police officer and ordered me to stop,” said Mr. Yenusa. According to him, he paid N10, 000 on that occasion even though he had committed no offense.

The unsavory encounter enabled him to realize that the man in mufti was a rogue police officer.
“The woman on my bike on the fateful day is my customer and I have been taking her with her child to school for three years now,” Mr. Yenusa told a correspondent of SaharaReporters.

He accused the police of raising a false alarm on him because the officers knew he was avoiding being extorted by them. He also stated that the officers not only began beating him but also supervised his beating by the mob.

One eyewitness told our correspondent that the two policemen actually thought that their victim was dying before they took him to the Gbagada General Hospital.

Mr. Yenusa stated that he would not suddenly be a kidnapper of a child he had been taking to school for three years.

Mr. Yenusa’s brother, who arrived at the scene where he was being mobbed, said he fought hard to get his brother to the hospital. He described the police officers of callously abandoning his brother's near-lifeless body, perhaps hoping he had died.

“The moment the policemen arrived with me at the hospital with my brother's body, they just dumped him for me and left immediately,” said the victim’s brother. He insisted that the police officers thought his brother was already dead.
The victim said he opened his eyes the next day in the hospital bed.

“When I opened my eyes eventually at the hospital, I noticed it was my brother who had heard of my torture and had insisted I be taken to the hospital,” he said.

Mr. Yenusa expressed shock that a woman who for three years had entrusted him with taking her child to school would allege he was running off with the child when he was merely trying to escape extortionist police officers in Bariga.

“I'm sure the police over-bloated their alarm because I was escaping from paying their bribe,” he said.

Mr. Yenusa told our correspondent that the police or the mob had seized his phone, which contains the telephone number of the woman whose son he had given rides to for three years. He added that the police or the mob had also snatched away some of his other personal effects.

The victim is currently in his home in Oworonsoki recuperating from the serious injuries he sustained from the attacks. He told our correspondent that he could not afford the hospital's bill of a daily N10, 000 for bed occupancy. He said some of his symptoms remained untreated.

http://saharareporters.com/2017/01/20/bribe-seeking-police-lagos-instigate-mob-beat-motorcyclist-coma-resisting-extortion

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by veacea: 6:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
Chisos!!!
The story get as e be sha. If the bike man story is true, I wish him quick recovery and nemesis will catch up soon with the police officers.

Anyway poris and "Egunje" be like

1 Like

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by temitemi1(m): 7:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
police is ur friend indeed undecided undecided
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Xcelinteriors(f): 7:09pm On Jan 20, 2017
Just listen to yourself, because you dnt want them to extort money from you, you are now speeding with someone else child on your bike. What if an accident happen during the period what would have been the fate of the child.

10 Likes

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by George2016(m): 8:51pm On Jan 20, 2017
Buhari is the cause of this
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Houseofglam7(f): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
I just weak for the matter
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by brunofarad(m): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
Chai police
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by veekid(m): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
Useless set of people
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by peculiar3(m): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
with the frustration in the land you're misbehaving, people are looking for a means to vent out their frustration by transferring it at the slightest provocation....

you're even lucky to have woken up grin grin grin grin grin cheesy grin
I suspect the absence of fuel and matches cheesy

1 Like

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Olateef(m): 8:52pm On Jan 20, 2017
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by izzou(m): 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
grin

Two characters are involved here

A wicked policeman

A dumb motorcyclist

Why speed away with someone else's child? What If the child had fallen off?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Nobody: 8:53pm On Jan 20, 2017
H

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by LilNetty(m): 8:54pm On Jan 20, 2017
Lol... See the guy head... Looks like Abija
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by FellepHq(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
If you have your papers intact, have your drivers license and every other operational tool, why will you flee on siting the police.
They've not even asked you for anything.

Now you want us to sympathize with you.

Ignorance is not bliss

2 Likes

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by emvico(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
grin Police Is Your Friend cool MuMu People, grin
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by modelsms(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
they should be brought to book
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Rayfield: 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
These ones are projecting the name of our "Galant" NPF wrongly.
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by viqSmallz(m): 8:55pm On Jan 20, 2017
I detest,hate and abhor policemen.. they are good at nothing except extortion. If they even extort with sense its good.but they even apply violence...useless people
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by SweetJoystick(m): 8:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
Smh pathetic
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by amdoyin82(m): 8:59pm On Jan 20, 2017
Why would he sped off with someone's child? Wat if he miscalculates in his bid to escape. We all know the police are bad but this is Nigeria whr every bad things they do is right. The more you know them the better the chances of avoiding their imminent troubles.

4 Likes

Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 20, 2017
This story is somehow undecided

I don't agree with the headline in as much as I hate Nigerian police
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by ademidedavid(f): 9:01pm On Jan 20, 2017
I definitely know the story will end with that fela 's song "Unknown soldier"......
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by wizsolzy(m): 9:02pm On Jan 20, 2017
undecided chai poris ehhhhhhh
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by Nobody: 9:02pm On Jan 20, 2017
POLICE IS YOUR FRIEND
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by ArabMopol(m): 9:04pm On Jan 20, 2017
see his Afonjalistic ritualistic head... why do u speed off with someone child dem no beat him well
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by ademidedavid(f): 9:07pm On Jan 20, 2017
ArabMopol:
see his Afonjalistic ritualistic head... why do u speed off with someone child dem no beat him well
Guy, u get policeman 4 ur family? Coz i am not understanding.
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by cyberheist: 9:07pm On Jan 20, 2017
sorry oooo
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by stuffs4me(m): 9:13pm On Jan 20, 2017
viqSmallz:
I detest,hate and abhor policemen.. they are good at nothing except extortion. If they even extort with sense its good.but they even apply violence...useless people

How dumb can you be.

The policemen stopped an evil bikeman from stealing a child from his mother and you still hate the police. You must be a child kidnapper yourself and I pray the long arm of the law catches up with you and your kind.

That bike man is evil and he tried to trick the mother into coming down before speeding away with her kid. The hapless woman raised alarm that attracted the policemen who rescued the baby and gave it back to the mother.
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by adebayo201: 9:14pm On Jan 20, 2017
huh... they really bastardized the man!

Lord have merci
Re: Bribe-seeking Police In Lagos Instigate Mob To Beat Motorcyclist To Coma (pics) by ArabMopol(m): 9:14pm On Jan 20, 2017
ademidedavid:

Guy, u get policeman 4 ur family? Coz i am not understanding.
I will disown any of my family member the day he/she join any of the security agency.... meanwhile the okada man looks evil

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Lands Lady In Prison After Being Caught With Cocaine In Zambia. / Fulani Herdsman Kills His Mother In Kwara & Brother’s Wife (photo) / Mohammed Lawan Fugu Murdered In Maiduguri, Borno State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.