Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,899 members, 7,802,906 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:56 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 - Travel (276) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (692241 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 14 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (409) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:13pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hey! Scroll up and read Happyday's post about using LinkedIn. It works so great.
The problem is most people after getting their visa are very busy so they may not respond to your question. But from my few years on this thread, I've not heard of anyone in that school.
switcyndy:
Good Afternoon House,

Please i will be going to University Of Nebraska at Kearney this fall and i need contact of anybody in the school or anybody that can help link me to somebody in that school. I will really appreciate all the help i can get biko.

Thank you
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Tunnyz(m): 5:15pm On Jun 02, 2017
omilaomila:
Food! Food! Food! Very important. Do not do "big boy no dey carry egusi and crayfish travel". Eventually, hunger will beat "big boy" and he will start to look for African / Hispanic store & even Walmart okra will be like magic to him. We have seen it happen. Take as much as you can carry.
As much as I'lld love to take my school says meal plan is compulsory last last I'll transfer in spring
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:15pm On Jun 02, 2017
Lmaoooo at bold.
I told someone I seldomly 'eat out', she was like what do you mean Naija English grin grin grin
happyday:

Haha, I'm sure it will pass. Especially if you're 'eating out', when your salad is 12 95! Ordinary leaves from the backyard!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by onicemus1(m): 5:16pm On Jun 02, 2017
Chinewon88:

When will you quit posting everything that comes into your head? I get that you may be nervous because of your upcoming interview. Relax! Or better still, go get laid.

lol I was about to ask .. and he said his interview is next month? Shouldn't he be busy going through transcripts and getting used to the questions and answers he prepared? Black out is real o.. oh ,,who Am I to tell someone what he should do.. cheers grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:16pm On Jun 02, 2017
exactly
a lot of people hated gunther6 for that
LagosismyHome:

It tiring reminding them.... they forget to post but remember to come back for questions

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Pebcak: 5:21pm On Jun 02, 2017
michael1385:
I am going for m.sc physics but major in biophysics......pls can I tell v.o dis reason if ask why biophysics

Ans:
My alma mater just introduced a new program I.e biophysics and presently they lack much lecturers especially in that field. Acquiring a degree in this field will make me to be at the forefront and able to contribute my own quota to the development of the new program. I also see it as an opportunity of quickly getting into system thereby achieving my career goal of being a lecturer.

cc: all active members

This might be late but I gave The VO a similar answer some yrs ago to study Physics @ WIU,

I told him I applied to 3 other schools and the response I got from WIU was the best Prof Boley took time to reply all my emails in a timely and friendly manner. UCH just opened a Medical Physics department(its been long can't rem the dept) and when my mom discussed with the HOD I was promised a job if I have a Masters degree in Physics (--- that pretty much answered couple of other questions) and the VO asked me few Physics questions about gravity, value of acc due to gravity which I sharply answered and he asked about my project defense which i explained and he told me to pick up my visa while I was explaining mind you I was tensed until he started asking physics questions which relaxed me and I think he noticed that which I believe was Gods favor I won't be surprised he VO's minor was Physics.

Good luck
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:22pm On Jun 02, 2017
omilaomila:
Food! Food! Food! Very important. Do not do "big boy no dey carry egusi and crayfish travel". Eventually, hunger will beat "big boy" and he will start to look for African / Hispanic store & even Walmart okra will be like magic to him. We have seen it happen. Take as much as you can carry.

As in, let me join. Food, food, food!!! Best advice. If you want to eat out, be prepared for too much questions. You can't just order a cup of coffee in peace, be ready to say if it's iced or cold, what size you want, if you need cream or sugar. Order for a steak, and they wanna know if you want it well done, medium or rare. You get a simple sandwich, and they're asking the type of dressing, or what type of cheese.

I give up! Just give me the last one you mentioned, and let me eat in peace.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:23pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:
Lmaoooo at bold.
I told someone I seldomly 'eat out', she was like what do you mean Naija English grin grin grin

Lol . . .That word been hurting people's pocket since the '60's!!

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by OluDare01(m): 5:25pm On Jun 02, 2017
lol
happyday:

Lol . . .That word been hurting people's pocket since the '60's!!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Sidechick22(f): 5:26pm On Jun 02, 2017
[quote author=OluDare01 post=57129152]This your moniker though[/quot

Don't mind me grin grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by LagosismyHome(f): 5:29pm On Jun 02, 2017
Tunnyz:

As much as I'lld love to take my school says meal plan is compulsory last last I'll transfer in spring

Meal plan made me and my 3 other Naija friends add weight ...... We used to behave like people just let out from the jungle.
Since it more like buffet style , we used to say "make we chop our money complete ".....So plus the one we can eat and the one we cant eat will be on the tray with an attempt to eat it all (value for money)

o Boy !!!.......After a semester or a year , once you see the waist line increase or you see the scale ,nobody will tell you to calm down . Only you will advise yourself

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 5:31pm On Jun 02, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Meal plan made me and my 3 other Naija friends add weight ...... We used to behave like people just let out from the jungle.
Since it more like buffet style , we used to say "make we chop our money complete ".....So plus the one we can eat and the one we cant eat we be on the tray with an attempt to eat it all (value for money)

o Boy !!!.......After a semester , once you see the waist line increase or you see the scale ,nobody will tell you to calm down .

That thing makes so much sense. I mean, you pay like $15, enter, and you can eat pretty much anything you want!!! Are you kidding me! I went there last semester. It was in the afternoon, and the lady said something like that. I was like, 'wait, you know what?'; let me go home today, and come back tomorrow for a full day!

That full day never come!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by onicemus1(m): 5:33pm On Jun 02, 2017
LagosismyHome:

Since it more like buffet style , we used to say "[/b]make we chop our money complete[b] ".....So plus the one we can eat and the one we cant eat will be on the tray with an attempt to eat it all (value for money)

o Boy !!!.......After a semester or a year , once you see the waist line increase or you see the scale ,nobody will tell you to calm down . Only you will advise yourself

Lol @bolded grin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 5:41pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
bro, good response but i strongly disagree that its more difficult to obtain visa for bachelors. Dnt put fear in his mind, its very easy to obtain a student visa for both master,bachelors and phd. The important thing is applying to a top accredited public school, scoring good on standard test or if possible having a scholarship. Thanks
Bros, did you even take time to read everything she wrote?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 5:47pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
no single female here apart from lagosismyhome.
Lol. I dey feel your ginger Bro, you remind me of Cecemat.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 5:49pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:

You need to comedown.
Reminds me of cecemat
Lol. My exact thought.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Joyflexxy(f): 5:50pm On Jun 02, 2017
happyday:
Congrats to everyone who's got their F1's'; thanks for keeping faith with the process. If you're waiting, I also wish you the best. I figure people could use some help here coming to the US this Fall, (or whenever you want to come). So here goes. Hopefully, we can switch to the other (Life in the USA) thread when y'all get here.

First, reach out to folks in your school to help you with arrival. What plane to fly with, schedule airport pick up, housing arrangements, and settling in a place within few days of arrival. Schools have the Int'l Student offices that would help you do most of these, so don't hesitate to shoot them emails, ask them about anything and everything you're worried about as an Int'l student. They won't be surprised, in fact they would be excited you're curious and eager to come. So, ask away!

Speaking of Nigerian folks in your school, Linkedin works great! Google 'Research Assistant' 'School Name' Nigeria Linkedin ; you can use other variations like 'Teaching Assistant', 'Graduate Teaching Assistant', "Master's Student", 'Graduate Student', 'Graduate Research Assistant', 'PhD candidate', 'Doctoral candidate', 'PhD Student;, 'Post doctoral candidate' and so forth.

So, if I'm looking to connect with Nigerian grad students @ Stanford, I'll use, for instance, research assistant Stanford Nigeria Linkedin
on Google. This way, you can make solid connections, ask for their help, and if they can't help you, refer you to someone who can.

"Why should they help you?" Good question. I'm glad I asked. Here's why, in my opinion. They know what it feels like to be exactly where you're right now. And more importantly, they ask for help everyday. At least, I ask for help every single day. It therefore goes without reason, that getting people to help me means I'm ready to assist others as well.

Plus, it definitely helps we're Nigerians. We 'get' each other. So, start connecting.

PS: The 'Search' function on Nairaland doesn't work quite well. Except you go right through the transcripts. And see who's currently attending your school. Hopefully, we have a decent database of something along those lines pretty soon.

That takes care of your arrival, and what not. Remember, ask questions. Don't be shy, don't hesitate. You never know who's gonna say 'yes', or 'no'.

Next up, studying in America comes with its whole set of challenges. I wish I had braced up for them, prior to arrival.
Good day,pls I just sent u a Pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 5:53pm On Jun 02, 2017
Simon21:
Hello everyone, its been a while i posted here, its not been easy. I thank God for a successful semester that has just ended. It has been a bitter sweet feeling for me this semester. The worst happened to me, i lost my dad, i was emotionally devastated but God was able to see me through. I was still able to pull a 4.0 gpa cause God had my back and i know He will never abandon his son. I wish you all success in your ambitions and endevours.
Wow! Congrats bro, the Lord is your strength. Sorry about your Dad, may his soul rest in peace.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by switcyndy(f): 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2017
OluDare01:
Hey! Scroll up and read Happyday's post about using LinkedIn. It works so great.
The problem is most people after getting their visa are very busy so they may not respond to your question. But from my few years on this thread, I've not heard of anyone in that school.

Thank you so much. I will try linkedIn as you suggested.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by cseejhay: 6:06pm On Jun 02, 2017
lekinxyn12:
Visa Approved today at Lagos Embassy
My appreciation goes to all my MTSU alumni friends (Phakus, Kenkool) and The Monikers in the House for contributing immensely on this thread. The Good Lord will continue to bless you all and your household.
I got to the embassy about 5.57am with my wife to support me with prayers while am in, both of us are pressed and we want to wee. The hustler boys said to wee is N100/person that for me I can do it by the river side and still pay the money, I said no wahala. Sorry all that I still fall for the hustlers who said I will be needing the coloured copy of my passport data page and is N1, 000 which I negotiated to N500 (Not needed pls). They assisted in stapling my document.
The Transcript goes thus, conversation with a white guy in mid-30’s window 2
VO: Good Morning
Me: Good Morning Sir, How was night?
VO: Great, Pass me your Passport and I-20
Me: I Obliged
VO: why are you going to the US?
Me: Am going to the US for Masters in Engineering Technology at Middle Tennessee State University (vo cuts)
VO: How do you hear about the course?
Me: A senior colleague who is an alumnus of the school in my company advised me to go for the course since am aspiring to become a Manager in my current workplace.
VO: when did you finish your first degree?
Me: 2009
VO: And you did your 1 year NYSC
Me: That’s correct
VO: So what have you being doing since then?
Me: I work with XXXX Networks Ltd for three (3) year as field Service Engineer where I deploy VSAT and Radio technology for internet services. I was promoted as Team lead and that is the post I maintain till date. And now anticipating to be a manager in my company that is the more reason why am going for this program.
VO: Do you take any test and what is your score?
Me: Yes, I took GRE and my score is 290 Q=150 V=140 writing 3.5
VO: Tell me about Engineering Technology
Me: It incorporate courses like Six Sigma, Project Management and Safety planning
VO: But the course are management courses not technical?
Me: Yes they are. As am aspiring to be a manager to understand six sigma for organizational process and also safety planning so that my field Engineers will be safety conscious. That is also one of the reason why I chose the school which has these combined courses.
VO: So the school teach Six Sigma?
Me: Yes, is part of the courses.
VO: How do you want to finance your study?
Me: I have a tuition waiver and monthly stipend offered to me by my department
VO: Ooh. I did not see that earlier on your I-20 (He looks at the I-20 again and also saw dad as the sponsor though I filled self in Ds-160)
VO: What qualifies you for the tuition waiver?
Me: I had a CGPA of 3.5 of 4.0 scale and my Statement of Purpose explain in detail my intent.
VO: Ooh that’s great.
VO: what does your dad do?
Me: He has a big Farm.
VO: I will be approving your visa, take your I-20 you will need it at port of entry, pick up your passport in the next 3 business day.
I thank Almighty Allah for his grace and favour, for the courage, confidence and the ability to articulate my point. I was the 20th on the queue and when I started seeing blue paper I forgot everything I planned to say and was like God I know you are there watching and will change the story when it get to my turn.
My advice to the prospecting applicant, understand the whole process of your application, understand your courses and most importantly be able to explain why you have chosen the school and the courses.
Please the Research thing has cast, soft pedal on it VO are now particular about your course of study.
Goodluck and let’s keep the traveling transcript Loading.

Congrats bro. I tap into your success story overall. Enjoy Life ahead.

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 6:11pm On Jun 02, 2017
onicemus1:

lol I was about to ask .. and he said his interview is next month? Shouldn't he be busy going through transcripts and getting used to the questions and answers he prepared? Black out is real o.. oh ,,who Am I to tell someone what he should do.. cheers grin
hahahaha
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 6:14pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hushee:

Lol. I dey feel your ginger Bro, you remind me of Cecemat.
na d mata be that o. Warri nor dey carry last

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 6:14pm On Jun 02, 2017
Another big issue here is loneliness.

Finally, you're here. Holywood and your 'yankee' friends have made you believe these people are as outgoing and friendly as Nigerians. Turns out you're in for a shock. People smile at you, engage in small talk, but that's it. Everyone has got their cross to bear. You can't blame them.

You miss the happy atmosphere in Nigeria. You stay on calls to your family and babe(s) and boo(s) back home. Depends on how bad you are. You can't go knock on your neighbor's door, so you both can play PES. Or talk about the latest wack Davido track!

It's raining, and your American friends don't get it when you say 'weather for two', or 'based on logistics'. You see a sea of white heads, and wonder why your skin color is different. You wonder why you weren't born here. You engage someone in a convo, tell them you're from Nigeria, and they ask 'so tell me, how's Africa like?'. Damn!

You've always thought you were good looking, even handsome sef. But everyday, you see way hotter, cleaner chicks and dudes. You were always celebrated in your Nigerian University for your grades, work ethic, romantic pick-up lines or sexy legs. But here, nobody gives a flying hmm-hmm. You can't raise your hands, and ask questions the way your American peers are doing. Like you'll do in Naija, and feel like a don. You don't want to misyarn, look dumb. Or both. So, you keep shut.

You're average in everything. Every damn thing.

You graduated top of your class back in Naija, but here you're, struggling to keep up with term papers and homework. Worst part is, some of your classmates are not even putting in the effort. In fact, most of them. Suddenly, the phrase 'American citizen' suddenly makes sense to you. You now know there are as much types of visa as the letters in the English alphabet, and that your F1 is just at the low rung of the ladder.

You don't get some benefits. You might never do. Just for one simple reason. You were never born here!! Classes, and TV, and employers keep reminding you of this every day.

And then you remember Naija; home sweet home. You remember what your friends hail you for. Guys hitting on you, girls stealing glances at you, your book-smartness, your looks. And even your family. You just wanna go back home.

But hold on! Your peeps are back home are "happy for you", you don't use crap data, you're 24/7 on the Internet, NEPA (or whatever) don't show their prowess every 5 mins. Heck, you don't even know who supplies the electricity around here. Maybe straight from Washington or it's local. And frankly, you don't care.

The air here seems to smell different.

Though you can't cuddle or make out in the cold weather, at least you have a safe bed you can sleep in. The sirens remind you of your relative safety. Then, you wonder if it's possible for you to have both worlds? Be with your family, and also get a grad degree in a sane climate like you have here.

When shit gets this real, and they will, what do you do? Go online and watch more porn, come to Nairaland, and troll the pages?

What would you do

48 Likes 5 Shares

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by segunojo866: 6:15pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hushee:

Wow! Congrats bro, the Lord is your strength. Sorry about your Dad, may his soul rest in peace.
r.i.p
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by sobastical: 6:15pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
fine dear. Love to knw u better

Smh.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by naijatisumi: 6:16pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hello House,

Please can my wife travel with her pregnancy drugs to the US since shes going with a student VISA ? Just so curious to know I dont want any scene for her at the POE

Regards [/quote]
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by joeluv: 6:19pm On Jun 02, 2017
Please on the space of where would you be staying on the DS 160 form, should I input my school address?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by Hushee(m): 6:20pm On Jun 02, 2017
electronic:

To m my findings,
There might be slight differences between WES and some Schools.
This is because some schools might have their own GPA template for international students developed by in-house evaluation experts.
While some other schools who don't have all those resources would just request for a WES evaluation to save them the stress.
For me I used WES free Calculator to get an Idea of my GP on a 4point scale.
Hope this helps..

Not slightly Bro, the difference is much. Most of them will even do a direct conversion; for someone that has a GPA of 3/5, it could be calculated as (3/5)×4 which will give you 2.4/4. I actually got this from a grad coord....
So my advice is if you have a low gp, evaluate it and apply to schools that request for evaluation.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by happyday: 6:21pm On Jun 02, 2017
Joyflexxy:
Good day,pls I just sent u a Pm

I replied.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by neurosci: 6:22pm On Jun 02, 2017
segunojo866:
Scholarship available for undergraduate student with waec gp of 3.0/4.0 scale

My eyes caught this. Are you serious or just kidding in the usual manner? Give more details if you are serious.

And who knows how to calculate WASSCE GPA?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 by zenti99(m): 6:25pm On Jun 02, 2017
Hi house its been awesome going through the pages of this thread am quite challenged and encouraged by the number of testimonies as well.
I would graduate this year with a second class lower in biochemistry and also my sister in banking and finance would also graduate this year with a first class probably.
Please we need help as regarding universities that offer full scholarships and the procedure as each school has it own modality. And also regarding the timing should i start application now or is it better i wait till service year. Please i need a complete break down and any useful information cos to be honest am a little confused by the process
# pls help a novice

(1) (2) (3) ... (273) (274) (275) (276) (277) (278) (279) ... (409)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 7 / GENERAL Irish (student)visa & Work Permit-New THREAD***

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.