Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,574 members, 7,809,094 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:52 PM

Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director (13581 Views)

Dangote Group Appoints Olakunle Alake As Its New Group Managing Director / Tetra Pak Appoints Oshiokamele Aruna - Its First Nigerian Managing Director / I Want To Be A Lecturer But Have Only HND, Advise Me (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Ruggedpen: 10:44am On Jan 23, 2017
but op let me ask you can the material be recycle or use for another purpose, if yes find a way to do that, make sure that u work with your team finished the work then resigned if u wished.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by lele007: 10:50am On Jan 23, 2017
So becoz MD no dey una go dey spoil the work,

When kasala blow una go jus resign, miss,

Anyway. there should not have been faulty installation, product defect, etc, which management (meaning you) negligently permitted.

So if you want the Force and Power (the MD at the top) that created and ordered this beautiful earth to bless you, better follow his lead and correct your mistakes before resigning. Then He will open doors for you into a better workplace.

However, if the reason for client rejection flows from the MD's own negligence, then the man no get right! Resign and get a lawyer.

Bless ya.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by InvertedHammer: 10:52am On Jan 23, 2017
Ebobi:
I am a senior manager in the company I work for at the moment (like second in control).
Recently, we had a client who rejected our products due to obvious production and installation defects, and demanded a refund of his money, which is ok. This problem came up due to several factors ranging from non-provision of necessary work tools, poor work by installers, demotivated teams, among others. And a meeting was called by the MD, who normally is not on ground.
Since the MD rants a lot, we (the managers) expected a sack or even preferred a sack or resign, but he insisted that on no account must anyone of us resign until the client's issue and other lingering issues are closed out, otherwise he would arrest us. During this period, none of us is expecting to receive salaries, the period will likely be up to three months (Jan. to Mar. 2017).
To everyone that can give me some pieces of advice, do you think the MD has the right to insist that none can resign, even apart from the new issue of products rejection, it is always insults and abuses? Also, kindly advise me on what you think I should do now.
Thank you in anticipation of your responses.

Eddy.
/
Your company accepted a contract but:
1. The company has no necessary tools to accomplish the task.
2. Lack of motivation among employees.

It sounds very Nigerianish--taking on projects that you have no requisite training to accomplish. The result is:
1. Production defects.
2. Installation defects.

Why do you people live like this? Right from the go, your team knows you people cannot do the job. Yet you went ahead and did a half-baked production. You people intentionally ran his company underground while drawing salaries. You wonder why people employ expatriates because a typical Nigerian employee lacks professional finesse.

I support your MD on this. Sack should not be enough. You people are heartless.
/
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by ferhyntorlah(f): 11:34am On Jan 23, 2017
InvertedHammer:

/
Your company accepted a contract but:
1. The company has no necessary tools to accomplish the task.
2. Lack of motivation among employees.

It sounds very Nigerianish--taking on projects that you have no requisite training to accomplish. The result is:
1. Production defects.
2. Installation defects.

Why do you people live like this? Right from the go, your team knows you people cannot do the job. Yet you went ahead and did a half-baked production. You people intentionally ran his company underground while drawing salaries. You wonder why people employ expatriates because a typical Nigerian employee lacks professional finesse.

I support your MD on this. Sack should not be enough. You people are heartless.
/

I strongly disagree with you. Based on what the poster wrote, the company didn't provide the necessary tools needed to give produce a satisfactory product and it all falls on the MD's head.

The MD is not always on ground - absentee boss.

Also the constant insults from the MD is more than enough to demotivate the employees.

In summary, the MD is the MAIN cause of the problem in my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by sharpk007(m): 11:53am On Jan 23, 2017
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by voicelez: 12:51pm On Jan 23, 2017
hello Eddy, I also have a boss like yours but the truth is that he does not want you to resign because left for him alone he cant do the job and getting new workers, studying them and also training them would not be easy esp studying and trusting them. So just be patient and continue your work but if you really want to resign, give him time to recruit new workers. You being second in command shows he trust you much. Hope you didn't take his money wink wink wink
Ebobi:
I am a senior manager in the company I work for at the moment (like second in control).
Recently, we had a client who rejected our products due to obvious production and installation defects, and demanded a refund of his money, which is ok. This problem came up due to several factors ranging from non-provision of necessary work tools, poor work by installers, demotivated teams, among others. And a meeting was called by the MD, who normally is not on ground.
Since the MD rants a lot, we (the managers) expected a sack or even preferred a sack or resign, but he insisted that on no account must anyone of us resign until the client's issue and other lingering issues are closed out, otherwise he would arrest us. During this period, none of us is expecting to receive salaries, the period will likely be up to three months (Jan. to Mar. 2017).
To everyone that can give me some pieces of advice, do you think the MD has the right to insist that none can resign, even apart from the new issue of products rejection, it is always insults and abuses? Also, kindly advise me on what you think I should do now.

Eddy.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by kaboninc(m): 3:08pm On Jan 23, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

I strongly disagree with you. Based on what the poster wrote, the company didn't provide the necessary tools needed to give produce a satisfactory product and it all falls on the MD's head.

Also the constant insults from the MD is more than enough to demotivate the employees.

Honestly, it amazes me how we work in this country. Especially how these bosses treat their subordinates.

Only if the bosses will just take responsibility....that will be the first start towards resolving issues.

At the OP...

There are boss who would never, ever want to take responsibility even for their obvious misgivings and actions. Its hurting.

My advice to the OP, just resign and he will do nothing. In fact, if you're very resourceful and an asset to the firm, he'll humble himself towards you. And have your lawyer on standby who'll draw up a letter on your behalf.

The best way to confront fear is to face it.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by DeLioncourt: 3:20pm On Jan 23, 2017
Ebobi:

Eddy.

I think your ability to tender a letter of resignation is dependent on your offer letter. So you need to read your offer letter and fully understand it...as well as the legal implications before you act.
Some offer letters have clauses that if broken will leave the employee at a disadvantage. So, make sure to refer to it and seek legal counsel first.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by martinosi: 3:30pm On Jan 23, 2017
Ebobi:

Eddy.

See Bold Part - This!!!! "smh" Why Why Why...So this is how So called Employers make
staff's life a living daily torment which is against the Contractual Obligation of any workplace and constitution of Nigeria....
You cant arrest anybody at a work-place ism they decide to re-sign if they have done nothing of a criminal nature...

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by martinosi: 3:35pm On Jan 23, 2017
DeLioncourt:

I think your ability to tender a letter of resignation is dependent on your offer letter. So you need to read your offer letter and fully understand it...as well as the legal implications before you act.
Some offer letters have clauses that if broken will leave the employee at a disadvantage. So, make sure to refer to it and seek legal counsel first.

All that talk is BS....You can resign without any threat to your life ie Imprisonment...yes he may lose some finanacial benefits
and may not get a CV Referal but you cant threaten someone with Police Arrest for wanting to resign....
This shows you how Nigerian Employers are taking the Biscuit out of people becuase the have the upper hand ie Position and Money...

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by DeLioncourt: 3:39pm On Jan 23, 2017
martinosi:

All that talk is BS....You can resign without any threat to your life ie Imprisonment...yes he may lose some finanacial benefits
and may not get a CV Referal but you cant threaten someone with Police Arrest for wanting to resign....
This shows you how Nigerian Employers are taking the Biscuit out of people becuase the have the upper hand ie Position and Money...

and you think those things should not be bothered about?
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by chigoziri2403(m): 5:46pm On Jan 23, 2017
OP, did you really mean all these things you said?
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Boldstar(m): 5:56pm On Jan 23, 2017
Allwility:
It is obvious your MD doesn't want you guys to resign because doing so would mean losing the expertise required to complete the client's job. By the way, he can't do jack if you go ahead to resign.

Having said that, I am amazed at the level of insults and abuses prevailing at work environments. A teammate of mine, a girl barely above nineteen, would always say to the team: "If you do what you ought to do nobody would talk to you anyhow". In light of this, did you and your teammates do what you were supposed to do? Did you request for the necessary work tools and wasnt given? As the assistant boss, why didn't you motivate the team? How about planning? Did you plan properly before embarking on your task?

Do the right things at the right time and no one would insult or abuse you or your teammate's at work.

By the way once the job is completed, I expect your MD to fire some people and if possibly re-train the others.

It is obvious the OP is working for a one-man business. For this set of business owners, it is usually very difficult to work with them. They usually feel on top of the world because they employ and pay people and use that arrogance to insult at will when little correction or afore guidance will do. They even insult when its their fault. My former boss frustrated 2 guys till they resigned just because one got wedded and took a week off and got sick immediately he came back and was absent for another three days. The guy and his work partner were frustrated till they resigned. I also resigned from same work when the insults were unbearable coupled with the fact that full salary was never paid most times.

So I feel the pain of the OP. My advice to him is that he should work out the client's refund since they were the one at fault in the first place, then resign after complete damage control to the mistake.

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by desirel: 5:59pm On Jan 23, 2017
Now think...if it was your business and someone you put in charge will mess up.... Would you be happy? I think you asked the wrong answer...the good one would be: " how can I make the things different, so the services we offer will be excellent and the clients satisfy?" In this case I don't see why your boss or the client should suffer for your lack of management. And yes is your fault! Grow up and clean up your mess!
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by InvertedHammer: 5:58am On Jan 24, 2017
ferhyntorlah:

/
A different angle you got. Quite impressive.

If your MD gets a contract to build a bridge and you have no tools to accomplish it, should you 1) embark on it anyway or 2) request and insist that the right tools be provided?

It boils down to the mindset of the employees which is salaries first. They could have opted for resignation when the MD set them up for failure. The bad product makes the MD, company and the team look bad. Someone who takes pride in his/her profession would not have appended his/her signature to the mediocre product.

They should have shown the bad product to the MD before delivery. And if he insists on delivering it like that then in the present scenario, he can resign honourably. But knowing Nigerians and their penchant for kissing a_ss, they probably told the boss that the final product was good enough in order not to rock the boat.

As an employer of labour in Nigeria, I have intentionally thrown up bad ideas to understand the mindset of my employees. Even in the face of glaring hiccups, they will take on anything to avoid challenging the boss. The worst ones will even throw in "God will guide us" in the mix. Some lady even mentioned one time that she would pray over it. SMH.
/
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Nobody: 9:51pm On Jan 24, 2017
DMeanMan:

How old are you? 5 ? undecided

O
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by oluwasheun94(m): 10:12pm On Jan 24, 2017
say bye to your employer. worked for me. https://dwnlodit2.com/bqga

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Ebobi(m): 1:39pm On Jan 27, 2017
Thanks.

You know when falsehoods are emphasized as though are truth, they then seem to be truth, hence my request to seek general opinions and as a senior manager, you've given my opinion.

Thanks again.

nmreports:

You are a senior manager and should not be asking this question.

However, the only issue may be that he may paint your name negative in ways unexpected but I doubt as there are no basis to do this.

Otherwise give a one month notice as is customary and resign if you want. Nothing will happen.
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Ebobi(m): 2:30pm On Jan 27, 2017
Thanks for your comments.

However, I need you to know that employees are products of their employers; just like in a family of terrible parents, it is unlikely to breed children of opposite virtues.

As an employer, do you have mission and vision for your company? Have you laid down processes and procedures to achieve your goals? If not, why do you expect your employees to perform excellently?
At point of employment, you have in mind that an employee will give you value in exchange for salary, and you have not provided the wherewithal to do so, then turn around and blame employees for every fault.

Another question: would you say to your employees, "I'm just helping you guys to earn a living, there is nothing you can add to my life, there is nothing I can learn from youuuuu"? How demotivating do you think this statement is?

@InvertedHammer, the reason why there are very few companies in Nigeria that succeeded to the third generation is because process, people, place were not improved upon! While you say employees should own up to their responsibilities, employers (owner!) must own up to their incompetence to manage man, machine and money.

God bless!

InvertedHammer:

/
A different angle you got. Quite impressive.

If your MD gets a contract to build a bridge and you have no tools to accomplish it, should you 1) embark on it anyway or 2) request and insist that the right tools be provided?

It boils down to the mindset of the employees which is salaries first. They could have opted for resignation when the MD set them up for failure. The bad product makes the MD, company and the team look bad. Someone who takes pride in his/her profession would not have appended his/her signature to the mediocre product.

They should have shown the bad product to the MD before delivery. And if he insists on delivering it like that then in the present scenario, he can resign honourably. But knowing Nigerians and their penchant for kissing a_ss, they probably told the boss that the final product was good enough in order not to rock the boat.

As an employer of labour in Nigeria, I have intentionally thrown up bad ideas to understand the mindset of my employees. Even in the face of glaring hiccups, they will take on anything to avoid challenging the boss. The worst ones will even throw in "God will guide us" in the mix. Some lady even mentioned one time that she would pray over it. SMH.
/
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by InvertedHammer: 4:25pm On Jan 27, 2017
Ebobi:
Thanks for your comments.

However, I need you to know that employees are products of their employers; just like in a family of terrible parents, it is unlikely to breed children of opposite virtues.

As an employer, do you have mission and vision for your company? Have you laid down processes and procedures to achieve your goals? If not, why do you expect your employees to perform excellently?
At point of employment, you have in mind that an employee will give you value in exchange for salary, and you have not provided the wherewithal to do so, then turn around and blame employees for every fault.

Another question: would you say to your employees, "I'm just helping you guys to earn a living, there is nothing you can add to my life, there is nothing I can learn from youuuuu"? How demotivating do you think this statement is?

@InvertedHammer, the reason why there are very few companies in Nigeria that succeeded to the third generation is because process, people, place were not improved upon! While you say employees should own up to their responsibilities, employers (owner!) must own up to their incompetence to manage man, machine and money.

God bless!

You missed some of my points.
If a task cannot be done effectively, the employees need to demonstrate that to an employer citing their limitations.
Why they produced and "DELIVERED" crappy product to their client is what baffles me. Where is Quality Control? Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. A responsible professional should know his/her limits. If they produced crap, identified it as same but the owner decided to deliver it against professional advice, then I can absolve them. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
/
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Mznaett: 2:12pm On Jan 28, 2017
InvertedHammer:

If a task cannot be done effectively, the employees need to demonstrate that to an employer citing their limitations.
Why they produced and "DELIVERED" crappy product to their client is what baffles me. Where is Quality Control? Whatever is worth doing is worth doing well. A responsible professional should know his/her limits. If they produced crap, identified it as same but the owner decided to deliver it against professional advice, then I can absolve them. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.
/

Very correct.. Company's production and profit depend largely on the workers' performance and productivity.. But the critical question is how do employers like that of op with clusters of attitudes and temperaments get workers to work in a constructive sense in a manner that will achieve desired results and in turn give the workers the sense of fulfillment?

1 Like

Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Ebobi(m): 10:29pm On Jan 28, 2017
I made a quote to let you know the type of boss... "I'm just helping you guys to earn a living, there is nothing you can add to my life, there is nothing I can learn from youuuuu"? Who sets the quality control for a one man business?
However, after all said here, I'm convinced that my intention to join hands with other team members and make good the defects (within our capabilities) and thereafter move on is right!
Thanks all for your great contributions!

InvertedHammer:

/
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by InvertedHammer: 10:34pm On Jan 28, 2017
Ebobi:
I made a quote to let you know the type of boss... "I'm just helping you guys to earn a living, there is nothing you can add to my life, there is nothing I can learn from youuuuu"? Who sets the quality control for a one man business?
However, after all said here, I'm convinced that my intention to join hands with other team members and make good the defects (within our capabilities) and thereafter move on is right!
Thanks all for your great contributions!

/
Do we know you? No! Do we know your boss? No!

You brought your business out in public and solicited for advice. We gave some advice. Some have their opinions.
Sorry if you are disappointed that not all would pander to your fragile emotion. If your boss treats you so bad, grow some balls and be your own boss. Your current boss doesn't have two heads.

I guess you could not handle the truth. If you don't want divergent opinions, then keep your private business to yourself.
//
Re: Kindly Advise Me On The Behaviour Of My Managing Director by Charlieubochi: 12:48pm On Mar 31, 2017
OPEN RECRUITMENT!!!
Staffs required at PMC LTD.
A graduate with a minimum of 2.2 in any of the following
* Software engr.
* Software developer
* Business analyst
* Mathematician
* Security analyst
* Sales executive
* Digital marketing
* Service desk analyst
* Customer service Rep.
* Accountants
* Economist
Experience level: 0-2 years
Send CV's to workforceng2016@gmail.com on or before 20th januarOPEN RECRUITMENT!!!
Staffs required at PMC LTD.
A graduate with a minimum of 2.2 in any of the following
* Software engr.
* Software developer
* Business analyst
* Mathematician
* Security analyst
* Sales executive
* Digital marketing
* Service desk analyst
* Customer service Rep.
* Accountants
* Economist
Experience level: 0-2 years
Send CV's to workforceng2016@gmail.com on or before 20th january 2017.
And non graduates with at least elementary knowledge
* Security personnel
* Cleaners
Salary range: btw #40000 - #60000
Location port Harcourt Rivers state.
send CV's to workforceng2016@gmail.com or call 0811 280 4462 or before 20th April 2017.

Forward to all you know, you might be helping someone
Pls share and tag someone who might need this.

Forwarded as received.y 2017.
And non graduates with at least elementary knowledge
* Security personnel
* Cleaners
Salary range: btw #40000 - #60000
Location port Harcourt Rivers state.
send CV's to workforceng2016@gmail.com or call 07031513680 on or before 20th April 2017.

Forward to all you know, you might be helping someone
Pls share and tag someone who might need this.

Forwarded as received.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Is Studying Mass Communication A Good Choice? / Ican Past Question And Answer - Download / Nairaland Civil Engineers Come In Here Please

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.