Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,224 members, 7,807,755 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:31 PM

What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? - Literature (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? (34493 Views)

The 10 Books You Should Read In 2020 To Have A Productive Year / Top 5 Books By Wole Soyinka: The Tale, The Story And A Must Read / Top 5 Books You Should Read Before Turning 25 Years Old (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by emumejakporluck(m): 9:49am On Jan 24, 2017
What about rich dad, poor dad and there was a country
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Exciton(m): 9:57am On Jan 24, 2017
SirWere:
Top 5 Bro; thre are literally hundreds of books that shape up the event of one's life.
Off my head, I can mention 15 books that would stick with you.

Just 5 Ahh angry

Well; seeing this is constricted; I'll pick 5 books from 5 different authors.

1) The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

2) The Trial : Frank Kafka

3) The remains of the day by Kaguro Ishiguro

4) 1984 by George Orwell

and....

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller cheesy

If you're based in Naija, then this will be the first time in my life that I get to see a home bred Nigerian who knows Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Kaguro Ishiguro.

But what do I know, I'm just a science person who has no naija friends with arts or humanities background.

Nice list, but it's lacking in science and history.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Exciton(m): 10:06am On Jan 24, 2017
moneyallowed:
There are a lot of excellent books and these things are subjective but in my view everyone should read these books before they die, or God will have some interesting questions for you

1. THE OZIDI SAGA by J P CLARK
It's amazing the number of Nigerians who have never read this book. How can you claim to love books but you've never read arguably the magnum opus? If I were to pick a book by a Nigerian author everyone should read, this is it. The perfect retelling of an African legend, our own Iliad.

2. 1984 by GEORGE ORWELL

If you want to know fear, read this book.

3. A BRIEF HISTORY OF TIME by STEPHEN HAWKING

If you know nothing about science and you're looking for a book that explains in layman's terms the things that the experts say with big grammar without really explaining......this is the book for you

4. WATERSHIP DOWN by RICHARD ADAMS

Simple and effective, sometimes the best writing isn't the most complex but the one that touches you the most. You can't read this without crying once or twice

5. A SHORT HISTORY OF NEARLY EVERYTHING by BILL BRYSON

From the title I think you get the general idea

P.S I wanted to include the bible, but if you don't already know you should read that then you're on a long thing

It's funny (and kinda contradictory honestly) that you have number 3&5 in your list but also think the Bible is a must.

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by kafero(m): 10:12am On Jan 24, 2017
There are so many great books to read

1. The Last Lecture. Randy Pauch.
2. The Tipping Pont. Malcom Gladwell.
3. The Personal MBA. Josh Kaufman.
4. Tuesday with Morrie. Mitch Albom
5. Purple Cow. Seth Godin.

Rework by Jason Fried. The Monk Who SlenHis Ferrari by Robin Sharma. Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Man's Serach for Meaning by Frankl.

So many good books. If I am to pick one. I will pick Josh Kaufman's Personal MBA. It is a book about life.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by jtjohn(m): 10:15am On Jan 24, 2017
VitaminB12:
Mynd44 please remove that Angels and Demon from the list. It's pure fiction from Da Vinci.

Here are my top 5

The Bible (will teach you morals and uprightness)

Rich Dad Poor Dad (make u think out of the box)

Awaken the giant within (imposes self confidence)

48 Laws of power (will keep you winning always though manipulative)

The power of positive thinking by Norman peale (makes you an optimist)

Please let me add one

The Secret by Rhonda Bryne (the secret of success in life)
Nice one......I
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 24, 2017
Those reading the Art of Seduction must be professional flirts/cheats undecided
I prefer Da Vinci movies though to the book. grin grin
Guess I have to read 48 laws of power! Really popular here undecided
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Tapalos: 10:19am On Jan 24, 2017
nightingalee:
Firstly, Your bible.
2. 33 strategies of war.
3. The mastery.
4. 48 laws of power
5. Art of seduction.
... All four books authored by Robert Greene. The importance of these books cannot be over-emphasized, take my word for it.
All these books and lots more are available with a guy on whatsapp thru 07051505626 for a token.
Check him out on his threads via this link https://www.nairaland.com/shobam1410/topics
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by SUPOL(m): 10:20am On Jan 24, 2017
2undexy:
I've been reading of lately and this questions just crossed my mind. What are the Top 5 books a person must read in his lifetime. Please can somebody help me?
1.The Holy Bible
2.The Nigerian Constitution(Law)
3.The Richest Man In Babylon(Money)
4.The Secret of Secrets(Strange power)
5.My Watch(know ur country)
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Revolva(m): 10:21am On Jan 24, 2017
the adventure s of nackson lolly magazine wow i missed it

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Tapalos: 10:21am On Jan 24, 2017
SirWere:
Top 5 Bro; thre are literally hundreds of books that shape up the event of one's life.

Just 5 Ahh angry

4) 1984 by George Orwell

and....

All these books and lots more are available with a guy on whatsapp thru 07051505626 for a token.Check him out on his threads via this linkhttp://www.nairaland.com/shobam1410/topics
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by kafero(m): 10:21am On Jan 24, 2017
2undexy:
I've been reading of lately and this questions just crossed my mind. What are the Top 5 books a person must read in his lifetime. Please can somebody help me?

There are so many great books to read

1. The Last Lecture. Randy Pauch.
2. The Tipping Pont. Malcom Gladwell.
3. The Personal MBA. Josh Kaufman.
4. Tuesday with Morrie. Mitch Albom
5. Purple Cow. Seth Godin.

Rework by Jason Fried. The Monk Who SlenHis Ferrari by Robin Sharma. Steal Like an Artist by Austin Kleon. The War of Art by Steven Pressfield. Man's Serach for Meaning by Frankl.

So many good books. If I am to pick one. I will pick Josh Kaufman's Personal MBA. It is a book about life.

Thanks.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Tapalos: 10:23am On Jan 24, 2017
Gracious007:
These books are good:

1. 48 laws of power by Robert Greene

2. Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

3. And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

4. As You Go To College By Victor Oguejiofor

5. A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson
All these books and lots more are available with a guy on whatsapp thru 07051505626 for a token.Check him out on his threads via this linkhttp://www.nairaland.com/shobam1410/topics

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Tapalos: 10:24am On Jan 24, 2017
iamadonis2:
OP, I'll recommend:
1. The Richest Man in Babylon (absolutely an amazing read)

2. Think and Grow Rich (the style of grammar may want to put you off, but keep at it).

3. The Da Vinci Code (Dan Brown is a Beast)

4. Things Fall Apart (This is one book that'll hold your interest by the balls)

5. The Richest Man in Babylon ( OP I don repeat this book. Nor joke with am ooo)

Shalom!
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by dsocioemmy(m): 10:30am On Jan 24, 2017
Hmmmmm... I'm here to pick books to read
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 10:31am On Jan 24, 2017
Exciton:

If you're based in Naija, then this will be the first time in my life that I get to see a home bred Nigerian who knows Fyodor Dostoyevsky and Kaguro Ishiguro.

But what do I know, I'm just a science person who has no naija friends with arts or humanities background.

Nice list, but it's lacking in science and history.
yea, I'm naija based actually.
I'm also a fellow "sciency" nerd guy but I have artistic pretensions.grin grin.
Most people nowadays don't have "patience" for heavy thousand paged books and eloquently written plots.
The copy of The Brothers Kamazarov I bought was 1632 pages.

It's a pity because the book is so thought provoking and such a masterpiece.

I read The Idiot by Fyeodor too....and was not disappointed.
In fact; I'm on the hunt for his books. Got any good ones smiley

As for Kaguro; I'm honestly wondering why he is not usually mentioned in The pantheons of Great writers.

I normally don't "do" emotions but damn! That book touched me sad sad

Those two books are in my Literary Valhalla and ain't gonna leave anytime soon grin

I also have a list of some pretty good science books but most are non-fiction and the OP constricted me with 5, so......

Here goes my fiction list

1) Stranger in a strange Land : Robert Heinlein

2) Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy : Douglas Adams

3) Enders Game : Orson Scott Card

4) Alas Babylon

5) A canticle for leibowitz

6) Starship Troopers

7) The moon is a harsh Mistress

cool Foundation : Isaac Asimov

9) Nightfall : Isaac Asimov

10) Sphere : Micheal Cricthon* (not sure bout that spelling)...

I love reading smiley smiley

As for history, well, I don't really fancy that genre anymore.
I'll be willing to read some good books on it tho. Can u recommend any

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jan 24, 2017
[quote author=Ezionye post=53080433]

Do u have soft copies of any of these? Pretty please

Except the bible.[/quothe]

They are all available for free on the internet

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by cstr55: 10:43am On Jan 24, 2017
Adjudged the greatest Leadership book of this century by millions, A book that any young man or woman who wants to excel in a much shorter span of time should get desperately.
MY VISION- A RACE TO EXCELLENCE - By Mohammed Bin Rashid.
He was the man that developed Dubai and turned it into first world from third world in a decade.
Read this and you will know the power of speed , acceleration and excellence. You will never take a second for granted again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 10:45am On Jan 24, 2017
merahki:

Hi...I found Catch-22 to be very unreadable embarassed, and I am a reader, honestly...read more books than is normal for any one person, fiction that is
I have had it for more than 3 years, and I still have not gotten the hang of it
This is from someone who even also reads, and likes Les Miserables, and many other classics too

I don't get it, my aversion to the book...I remember there is a hospital stay in it...after a war (I dunno again),....but from seeing the phrase everywhere, in books, films, peoples' lips, even mine shocked, I bought it to read-....then hit a wall
I just don't know
Cheers
Hi, catch22 is not meant to be read with intense seriousness.
It's a slapstick humor book about the unpredictablity and general senselessness of war; yet interspersed in it were some really thought provoking moments.

There are a lot of characters, a lot of descriptions of seemingly trival things....and a lot of humor. cheesy

Sort of like the war genre version to Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

Just read with the book without intense concentration; like the way one reads Stephen King's novels. Let the story carry you away.
It helps if you're slightly, well,.....

How did you find Les Miserables I'm about to start reading Victor Hugo.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by dynamo007(m): 10:49am On Jan 24, 2017
nightingalee:
Firstly, Your bible.
2. 33 strategies of war.
3. The mastery.
4. 48 laws of power
5. Art of seduction.
... All four books authored by Robert Greene. The importance of these books cannot be over-emphasized, take my word for it.

Plz where can I download diz books frm, especially number 5.....
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by moneyallowed(m): 10:54am On Jan 24, 2017
Exciton:

It's funny (and kinda contradictory honestly) that you have number 3&5 in your list but also think the Bible is a must.

You see contradiction, I see knowledge to be gained. I listed books that are essential, 5 books I feel would give someone a good education as anyone can get from just 5 books. That's my answer
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by moneyallowed(m): 10:56am On Jan 24, 2017
SirWere:

Just 5 Ahh angry

4) 1984 by George Orwell

and....

Good list, not the Ishiguro book I'd have picked but each to his own
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Exciton(m): 10:56am On Jan 24, 2017
SirWere:

yea, I'm naija based actually.
I'm also a fellow "sciency" nerd guy but I have artistic pretensions.grin grin.
Most people nowadays don't have "patience" for heavy thousand paged books and eloquently written plots.
The copy of The Brothers Kamazarov I bought was 1632 pages.

It's a pity because the book is so thought provoking and such a masterpiece.

I read The Idiot by Fyeodor too....and was not disappointed.
In fact; I'm on the hunt for his books. Got any good ones smiley

As for Kaguro; I'm honestly wondering why he is not usually mentioned in The pantheons of Great writers.

I normally don't "do" emotions but damn! That book touched me sad sad

Those two books are in my Literary Valhalla and ain't gonna leave anytime soon grin

I also have a list of some pretty good science books but most are non-fiction and the OP constricted me with 5, so......

Here goes my fiction list

1) Stranger in a strange Land : Robert Heinlein

2) Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy : Douglas Adams

3) Enders Game : Orson Scott Card

4) Alas Babylon

5) A canticle for leibowitz

6) Starship Troopers

7) The moon is a harsh Mistress

cool Foundation : Isaac Asimov

9) Nightfall : Isaac Asimov

10) Sphere : Micheal Cricthon* (not sure bout that spelling)...

I love reading smiley smiley

As for history, well, I don't really fancy that genre anymore.
I'll be willing to read some good books on it tho. Can u recommend any

Nice!

Just like Fyodor's novels that's usually around 1000+ pages, Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina is just the same and it's a must read, a goddamn classic!

While the only Kaguro's novel I've read is Never Let Me Go. It's very emotional. I'll add yours to my wish list.

Please don't stop at Enders Game. You need to read Speaker for the Dead!! I feel it's the best in the Ender series. Also heard Ender's Shadow is great but I'm yet to read it.

As for a fiction list, i have to think about the best ones I've read. In fact, I haven't read fiction in a while as I'm drowning in physics books atm. But I hope to be back to fiction soonest.

However, you can always check goodreads, mobilism and bookzz. They're jewels for those who read.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by nightingalee: 10:57am On Jan 24, 2017
dynamo007:

Plz where can I download diz books frm, especially number 5.....
https://www.fichier-pdf.fr/2015/12/15/robert-green/robert-green.pdf
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 11:00am On Jan 24, 2017
SirWere:
Hi, catch22 is not meant to be read with intense seriousness.
It's a slapstick humor book about the unpredictablity and general senselessness of war; yet interspersed in it were some really thought provoking moments.

There are a lot of characters, a lot of descriptions of seemingly trival things....and a lot of humor. cheesy

Sort of like the war genre version to Hitchikers guide to the galaxy.

Just read with the book without intense concentration; like the way one reads Stephen King's novels. Let the story carry you away.
It helps if you're slightly, well,.....

How did you find Les Miserables I'm about to start reading Victor Hugo.

Will try again....thank you...and I read books lightly...never seriously, this affected me in medical school
I think the hype about it was too much, and I expected to be wowed from page one, when it didnt happen, my brain zonked out...has to be
Les Miserables was a joy (I read it during my nysc...10 years ago)
My friend had the book, and I borrowed it from him....during our service year, we read sooo many classics, have lost count...Madame Bovary on my mind too

Now thinking how time flies, and how we let people off our radar...my service year was an awesome one, far away iin Boko Haram land, imagine
I haaate soft copies of books with every fibre of my being....I only read the Twilight series from a device, that was a real drag, I resolved never to again even though I loved the books.
I would rather wait till I get the hard copy of any book I want to read...I like the sound when I turn a page, or dog-ear a page for later (guilty me, covers face)
Cheers

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by DaCharis2016: 11:02am On Jan 24, 2017
Will like to download some books. I think I can go on these.
nightingalee:
Firstly, Your bible.
2. 33 strategies of war.
3. The mastery.
4. 48 laws of power
5. Art of seduction.

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Exciton(m): 11:02am On Jan 24, 2017
moneyallowed:

You see contradiction, I see knowledge to be gained. I listed books that are essential, 5 books I feel would give someone a good education as anyone can get from just 5 books. That's my answer

You're right. Those 5 books would give one a good education. But you have to be honest, the Bible isn't going to give anyone an education.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Lordseyad(m): 11:19am On Jan 24, 2017
Well, from what Av seen so far...

2 books I must read this year are..

48 laws of power and The Richest man in Babylon!

jxt downloaded 48 laws of powrr...
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 24, 2017
Exciton:

Nice!

Just like Fyodor's novels that's usually around 1000+ pages, Leo Tolstoy's Anna Karenina is just the same and it's a must read, a goddamn classic!

While the only Kaguro's novel I've read is Never Let Me Go. It's very emotional. I'll add yours to my wish list.

Please don't stop at Enders Game. You need to read Speaker for the Dead!! I feel it's the best in the Ender series. Also heard Ender's Shadow is great but I'm yet to read it.

As for a fiction list, i have to think about the best ones I've read. In fact, I haven't read fiction in a while as I'm drowning in physics books atm. But I hope to be back to fiction soonest.

However, you can always check goodreads, mobilism and bookzz. They're jewels for those who read.
grin
I don't know whether all Russian literature writers at that time swore an oath to make their plots long and windy.
Lolita by Vladmir Nabakov was also the same.
Everyone's been recommending that book to me now. I'll shelve it. Definitely a to read.

Ah Ishiguro novels always have that effect. That man had an innate talent for digging deep and touching you down inside....

Add "The remains of the day" too to that list. Powerful stuff

I've actually read all 13 books in the Ender series; from Enders Game to Shadow of the hegemon to speaker for the dead.
Orson branched out from Ender in those books and talked about different characters though.
Unless you're committed to sci-fi; you would have trouble adjusting.

Ah; I also have problems arranging my fiction list. That's why I just put down the first books that come to my mind.
No rushes. cheesy
I want to drown in academia too but my mind just ain't agreeing with me embarassed
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 11:25am On Jan 24, 2017
moneyallowed:

Good list, not the Ishiguro book I'd have picked but each to his own
Any book from Ishiguro is practically a masterpiece.

And that book has special importance to me.
Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 11:32am On Jan 24, 2017
merahki:

Will try again....thank you...and I read books lightly...never seriously, this affected me in medical school
I think the hype about it was too much, and I expected to be wowed from page one, when it didnt happen, my brain zonked out...has to be
Les Miserables was a joy (I read it during my nysc...10 years ago)
My friend had the book, and I borrowed it from him....during our service year, we read sooo many classics, have lost count...Madame Bovary on my mind too

Now thinking how time flies, and how we let people off our radar...my service year was an awesome one, far away iin Boko Haram land, imagine
I haaate soft copies of books with every fibre of my being....I only read the Twilight series from a device, that was a real drag, I resolved never to again even though I loved the books.
I would rather wait till I get the hard copy of any book I want to read...I like the sound when I turn a page, or dog-ear a page for later (guilty me, covers face)
Cheers
I wasn't hype really.
You have to understand, Catch 22 was written when the world was still recovering from the ravages of the world wars. Catch 22 was an attempt to humorize the situation and reduce the general misery everyone was feeling.
It was welcome fresh air from depressing imagery about war.

It's more like a love it or hate it sort of novel sha. If your tastes don't run towards it; well, you ain't gonna like it.

Ah, why does everyone seem to hate soft copies at first
Well, I did too, until I was forced to read a book ONLINE after I couldn't get the hard copy.

Over time, I grew accustomed to softcopies. Now people see me as a sorta weirdo for always reading on my phone cheesy.

Just finished downloading Les Miserables. Here I come.....

1 Like

Re: What Are The Top 5 Books One Must Read In Their Lifetime And Why? by Nobody: 11:49am On Jan 24, 2017
Op all this ones mentioning fiction 4rm Dan Brown nd J. K. Rowlings ar just playing. If you want to have an inkling of how to progress in this world (nobody can tell you how to suceed in this life u have to work it out yaself) check out Neil Degrasse Tyson's 8 books every person should read.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Mourns Her Mother's Death (Pictures) / My Experience With an Upcoming Artist (Short Story ) / The Woman He Wished He Never Met. (fiction)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.