Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,505 members, 7,781,544 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 04:36 PM

Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model (6642 Views)

Atiku – ‘little Girls Who Want To Be Governor Now Have A Role Model’ / Tinubu Is My Role Model –kashamu / Jonathan Confesses:ibb Is My Father (role Model)-like Father Like Son (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 1:45pm On Nov 29, 2009
There is alot of Negative coverage of Nigeria, so It would be nice if we could be more vocal about Nigerians who are making a positive contribution.  You must include a picture and WHY this person is your role model. Its alright to include more than one the more the better!
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by bjmighty(m): 1:49pm On Nov 29, 2009
Bola Tinubu!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Nobody: 1:55pm On Nov 29, 2009
Governor Babatunde Raji Fashola. A leader with an impeccable vision and passionate drive.
Hes about the only positive thing happening in Nigeria right now.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 1:57pm On Nov 29, 2009
Adebayo Ogunlesi (born 1953) is a Nigerian businessman. A 1979 graduate of Harvard Law School and Harvard Business School, he also studied at Oxford.

Ogunlesi was in charge of Global Investment Banking at Credit Suisse First Boston before being promoted to chief client officer and executive vice chairman.

I see this man as a role model because he is truly world class, academically and professionally.  He carries himself in a respectable manner and makes a mockery of the Nigerian stereotypes such as 419 and so on. He is one of the most powerful people on Wall street!

He has proven with ACTION (Not words) that given an enabling environment Nigerians can achieve anything!

1 Like

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 1:58pm On Nov 29, 2009
bjmighty:

Bola Tinubu!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We need [size=14pt]Pictures [/size]and [size=15pt]WHY [/size]Bola Tinubu is your role model
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by bjmighty(m): 2:45pm On Nov 29, 2009
Bola Tinubu is the man. He is a true democrat and he set the stage for our dear Fashola to perform. They are both good people.

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 3:16pm On Nov 29, 2009
bjmighty:

Bola Tinubu is the man. He is a true democrat and he set the stage for our dear Fashola to perform. They are both good people.

Good point, is Fashola is prparing a successor to run Lagos when he steps down?
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by komekn(m): 3:38pm On Nov 29, 2009
One mans standard of good is another mans standard for unrighteousness.

TransformR it would help if you set some sort of parameters for what we term a role model, for instance to some Bola Tinubu is a saint to others he is drug dealer wanted by the DEA and CIA.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 3:47pm On Nov 29, 2009
komekn:

One mans standard of good is another mans standard for unrighteousness.

TransformR it would help if you set some sort of parameters  for what we term a role model, for instance to some Bola Tinubu is a saint to others he is drug dealer wanted by the DEA and CIA.

I see where you are comming from, like they say 'one mans dream is another mans nightmare", I would say there is a single parameter in this case and that is

an Individual that is making a positive contribution towards Nigeria.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Depilot(m): 4:01pm On Nov 29, 2009
Kobojunkie's father is my role model.
I will post his picture and my reasons shortly
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by komekn(m): 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2009
Positive contribution, by any means possible, there are many public officials that made contributions to state and national development at the same time as helping themselves to the public treasury.

Can a thief, looter, election rigger, liar, murderer, etc, etc, become a role model as long as he makes some sort of positive contribution.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 4:15pm On Nov 29, 2009
komekn:

Can a thief, looter, election rigger, liar, murderer, etc, etc, become a role model as long as he makes some sort of positive contribution.

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by tanimz(f): 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2009
Used to be Farida Waziri, bt now i think el-rufai and the formr cross river governor, cnt remember his name
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by tunnytox(m): 6:12pm On Nov 29, 2009
komekn:

Positive contribution, by any means possible, there are many public officials that made contributions to state and national development at the same time as helping themselves to the public treasury.

I think its a case of choosing a lesser devil, all Nigerians politicians are devils in human flesh but i think Nigerians will be very quick to accept a lesser devil grin grin grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by redsun(m): 6:24pm On Nov 29, 2009
If university professor can be as sickening as they are,who else can be a role model in nigeria?,may be people like Femi Kuti and some few remaining silent and humane human beings in what use to be nigerian middle class aswell as ordinary market women and men,ordinary people.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:06pm On Nov 29, 2009
The man in this picture is my role model for having the courage to against all odds, defend his own people when a genocide was being pepetrated against them.

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by metalgong5(m): 7:46pm On Nov 29, 2009
^^^^^^^^
The man in the above picture will live longer than metusaleh . . . .He is the only living hero in Nigeria.

Long Live Odumegwu Ojukwu!!!
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 8:13pm On Nov 29, 2009
tanimz:

Used to be Farida Waziri, bt now i think el-rufai and the formr cross river governor, cnt remember his name

I have not heard many mention these individuals, please include a picture and tell us why they are your role models - what have they contributed to Nigeria?
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 8:15pm On Nov 29, 2009
redsun:

If university professor can be as sickening as they are,who else can be a role model in nigeria?,may be people like  Femi Kuti and some few remaining silent and humane human beings in what use to be nigerian middle class aswell as ordinary market women and men,ordinary people.

Thats an interesting one, are their really no world class Academics in Nigeria? What has Femi Kuti contributed to Nigeria?
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 8:16pm On Nov 29, 2009
tunnytox:

I think its a case of choosing a lesser devil, all Nigerians politicians are devils in human flesh but i think Nigerians will be very quick to accept a lesser devil grin grin grin

Politicians are not the only people who can be role models.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by sjeezy8: 8:24pm On Nov 29, 2009
hmmm lets see my role models Im talkin about ACTS not just yarning shit and ill state the reason why also.

Obafemi Awolowo
[img]http://2.bp..com/_bDcpR_wJ7hk/Sk6Ywk-jkYI/AAAAAAAABNo/aM_yt4vH6Ew/s400/awowed4.jpg[/img]

In terms of development in West africa and Nigeria NO OTHER PERSON INTRODUCED AS MUCH HE DID.
Obafemi Awolowo first introduced free health care till the age of 18 in the Western Region and also free and mandatory primary education in Western Nigeria, Although, Awolowo failed to win the 1979 and 1983 presidential election, his polices of Free Health and Education were carried out thought out all the states controlled by his party UPN and subsequently all over the country.
Chief Awolowo is remembered for building the first stadium, Liberty Statium, Ibadan in West Africa, first television station WNTV in Africa, running the best civil service in Africa at the time (in the Western Region), He would also be credited with coining the name "Naira". grin grin grin

Mr. Adebayo Ogunlesi

The newly appointed Non-Executive Chairman of the African Finance Corporation (AFC), Mr. Adebayo Ogunlesi has reiterated its commitment to the development of the African continent through key infrastructure financing.
Ogunlesi, an international investment banker, who is also Chairman and Managing Partner, Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP) expressed his determination towards addressing the continent’s infrastructure deficit and shaping the pan-African infrastructure investment agenda.
grin grin grin

Wole Soyinka
[img]http://prelectur.stanford.edu/lecturers/soyinka/gifs/wole.jpg[/img]

He has been an implacable, consistent and outspoken critic of many Nigerian military dictators, and of political tyrannies worldwide, including the Mugabe regime in Zimbabwe. A great deal of his writing has been concerned with "the oppressive boot and the irrelevance of the colour of the foot that wears it". This activism has often exposed him to great personal risk, most notable during the government of General Sani Abacha (1993-1998), which pronounced a death sentence on him "in absentia ". During Abacha's regime, Soyinka escaped from Nigeria via the "Nadeco Route" on motorcycle. While abroad, he visited parliaments and conferred with world leaders to impose a regime of sanctions against the brutal Abacha regime.

Along with the kuti family in general

[img]http://www.press.uillinois.edu/books/images/9780252066139.jpg[/img]
grin  grin grin grin
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by redsun(m): 8:27pm On Nov 29, 2009
transformR:

Thats an interesting one, are their really no world class Academics in Nigeria? What has Femi Kuti contributed to Nigeria?

Femi outrightly,openly and dangerously speaks to the people about the ills of nigerian government in his music,tours and other activities.We all know it is a dangerous and selfless thing to do in nigeria judging from the reactions of the government to people that speaks the truth about their inefficiencies.Apart from that,he is a hard working,talented,employer,entertainer and an incorruptible family man,a rare breed in nigerian society.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 8:31pm On Nov 29, 2009
redsun:

[b]Femi outrightly,openly and dangerously speaks to the people about the ills of nigerian government [/b]in his music,tours and other activities.We all know it is a dangerous and selfless thing to do in nigeria judging from the reactions of the government to people that speaks the truth about their inefficiencies.Apart from that,he is a hard working,talented,employer,entertainer and an incorruptible family man,a rare brred in nigerian society.

Thats true, I can remember seeing an interview and he was criticising the Nigerian government and I was literally shouting at my TV for him to be quiet as I remembered what happened to his late and great Father.

good post @sjeezy8   grin grin grin

I have noticed that not many women are being mentioned, maybe there needs to me more participation by women in public life. undecided
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by illusion2: 8:41pm On Nov 29, 2009
[size=18pt]Role Model : James Onanefe Ibori

Why?: A perfect example ,of how. . .given the enabling environment,a truck driver can become a state governor and an international oil bunkerer+ political power broker.
[/size]
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by redsun(m): 8:45pm On Nov 29, 2009
The Kuti family is my ultimate role model in nigeria,from their parents,to Fela,Beko,to the gentleman doctor that was one time health minister,Dr Ramsom Kuti,his type can't thrive in nigerian government as it is.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by otokx(m): 8:57pm On Nov 29, 2009
Fela Anikulapo Kuti and Wole Soyinka

You can check them out on wikipedia or facebook to know more about them.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by Ibime(m): 9:03pm On Nov 29, 2009
Wole Soyinka

Beko Ransome-Kuti

Gani

Henry Okah

Ken Saro-Wiwa

Chimamanda

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 9:17pm On Nov 29, 2009
You had some real heavyweights in that list @Ibime, but can you tell us how Mr Okah and the beautiful Chimamanda have contributed to Nigeria please.

Ibime:

Henry Okah

Chimamanda

Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by 4Play(m): 9:19pm On Nov 29, 2009
Nigerian role models do not necessarily have to have contributed to Nigeria but are simply Nigerians whose achievements are worthy of emulation:

I would count Bayo Ogunlesi and Fidelis Oditah amongst role models
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by sjeezy8: 9:24pm On Nov 29, 2009
yes ohhh KEN SARO-WIWA cool
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by transformR: 9:27pm On Nov 29, 2009
4 Play:

Nigerian role models do not necessarily have to have contributed to Nigeria but are simply Nigerians whose achievements are worthy of emulation:

I would count Bayo Ogunlesi and Fidelis Oditah amongst role models

"Nigerians whose achievements are worthy of emulation", I agree contributions can be direct or indirect in that sense. Oh, and by the way who is Fidelis Oditah? provide a picture and some info so we can know more.
Re: Tell Us About Your Nigerian Role Model by 4Play(m): 9:28pm On Nov 29, 2009
"Nigerians whose achievements are worthy of emulation", I agree contributions can be direct or indirect in that sense. Oh, and by the way who is Fidelis Oditah? provide a picture and some info so we can know more.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fidelis_Oditah

It's sad that he got into Nigerian politics, but I will forgive him that.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NEVER KNEW A TOUGH GENERAL AS BABANGIDA CAN WEEP FOR ANYTHING!!!!! / Breaking News! Aondoakaa Removed / Unemployed Nigerian Pilots Protest Influx Of Expatriate Pilots

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.