Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,132 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:02 AM

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? (21691 Views)

What Do You Think Is Wrong With African Style Of Parenting? / Olden Days Lies Elders Told Us -- Share Here / What Is Wrong With My Mom? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by xynerise: 8:13pm On Jan 25, 2017
"How are you?" may sound polite to some group of people or culture but not to the African culture especially Nigeria.

Do you dare tell an elderly man or woman "How are you?" without getting this evil look and opened case in the community?

I was having this discussion with a friend and we started taking about the above topic then he told me;

Just imagine you saw a kid and call his name and the next comment he made was " Hey brother, how are you?" grin

Well, e sound somehow sha...grin.

Does it actually shows disrespect or we Nigerians are just too respect conscious?

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Baawaa(m): 8:22pm On Jan 25, 2017
How are you in Yoruba means"bawo ni",so in Yoruba land you can't say "bawo ni" to your father ,mother and your elders

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Origin(f): 8:25pm On Jan 25, 2017
Its the nature of the sentence. Sounds condescending and usually used by older person when referring to a younger person.

Would you say "bawoni" to an elder person. That's the rough translation.

There is a way that some people say "my dear" that is belittling as if the person been addressed is of a lower status.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by xynerise: 8:27pm On Jan 25, 2017
Baawaa:
How are you in Yoruba means"bawo ni",so in Yoruba land you can't say "bawo ni" to your father or mother and your elders

Why?
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by xynerise: 8:28pm On Jan 25, 2017
Origin:
Its the nature of the sentence. Sounds condescending and usually used by older person when referring to a younger person.

Would you say "bawoni" to an elder person. That's the rough translation.

There is a way that some people say "my dear" that is belittling as if the person been addressed is of a lower status.

But this is just an African thing....I stand to be corrected

7 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by lordm(m): 8:29pm On Jan 25, 2017
The clouds will always be above and the sand beneath

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by xynerise: 8:36pm On Jan 25, 2017
lordm:
The clouds will always be above and the sand beneath

Obviously grin. Now relate it to the topic tongue

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by presskid(m): 8:54pm On Jan 25, 2017
The child who throws out his hand to shake an elderly man will receive a slap

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by DuBLINGreenb(m): 8:54pm On Jan 25, 2017
c
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by ngmgeek(m): 8:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by steppin: 8:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
African culture believes its disrespectful. We shouldn't always copy oyibo people all the time.

8 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by adonbilivit: 8:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
nothing is wrong with it. I can decide to wake up in the morning and not say good morning to my dad and instead say "Dad, how are you this morning?". must we be stereotypical?

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Tastemoney(m): 8:55pm On Jan 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by obembet(f): 8:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
If you are from Yoruba and u don't add "sir"....I will send u back home

8 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by visijo(m): 8:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
it depends on the tone you are using..

5 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by tomieyRozay: 8:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
First Day my comment would be on the front page.. I dedicate this space to my future girlfriends....I love you all.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by BUSHHUNTER: 8:56pm On Jan 25, 2017
Nothing is actually wrong if they are both from land of the rising sun grin

2 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by tillaman(m): 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
Ain't notin wrong wit dat, depends on culture sha
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Vickiweezy(m): 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
There is nothing wrong about it.

"Good evening ma, How are you?" undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
"How are you doing, madam Mikylopez?"

Easy. undecided
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 8:57pm On Jan 25, 2017
That awkward moment elders add sir when they greet you

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by seXytOhbAd(m): 8:59pm On Jan 25, 2017
Honestly, there is nothing wrong with it, but in a morally bankrupt country like Nigeria, our elders have become fools. This is why they will be getting angry with the youth for lack of respect when they don't respect themselves in the first place... Eg Buhari, Ajimobi etc

34 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by biolaowo(m): 8:59pm On Jan 25, 2017
How are u sir is better

3 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by martineverest(m): 9:00pm On Jan 25, 2017
op,we are africans...its our norm and tradition...so,dont see it weird
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
like you already said op, it's Nigerian culture thing.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by Rilwayne001: 9:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
How are you "Sir" or "Ma" will do.

7 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by JuneOctober(f): 9:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
cheesy Nothing oh. Just that that SIR or MA must be included. If not, it would seem disrespectful. grin Na wa for us oo. I wasn't surprised the day a lady said Even waving at your elders is very wrong. This is Africa sha.

9 Likes

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by XwhY(m): 9:01pm On Jan 25, 2017
Nothing wrong with the statement IMO
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by blackwood(m): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
I see nothing wrong with it but I will not hear the end of it if someone younger tells my wife same.
Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by cloudyskygrind(m): 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
I say it all the time

1 Like

Re: What Is Wrong With Asking Our Elders "How Are You?" ? by basadenet: 9:02pm On Jan 25, 2017
A lot his wrong with it and it is a sign of disrespect.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Pregnancy Or Nursing Of Baby; Which Is More Challenging? / All The Drama That Happens When Your Parents Are Arguing / How Do I Instill Boldness And Confidence In My Daughters?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.