Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,880 members, 7,806,533 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. - Phones (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. (33676 Views)

Top 5 Most Anticipated 5G Smartphones You Would Definitely See In 2019 / Top 10 Cheap Smartphones You Can Buy In 2017 / 4 Smartphones You Should Buy If You Want To Upgrade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Innodon(m): 8:28am On Jan 30, 2017
ok
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by ndcide(m): 8:29am On Jan 30, 2017
henryobinna:
This is quite lengthy.

Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017, worst smartphones of 2017, smartphones that's waste of money, top 10 worst smartphones of 2017, 2017 android smartphones never to buy, save money don't buy these smartphones

Yes, I absolutely mean what you see above as the heading. Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. In this post I'll show you the smartphones you should and must never think of buying especially in this year 2017 when every major smartphone brands have gone haywire and berserk releasing smartphone with monster specifications.

Apparently, we're in the beginning of the year 2017(January) and as a result a lot of people would want to change their smartphones and of course some of the readers of this website possibly fall under the category of smartphone users who buy new smartphones every beginning of the year. Because of this, I decided to give a smartphone buying guide I expect anyone to adhere to in order not to lose money. By following this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017, what ever smartphone you eventually settle for would be one the best with maximum performance and value for your money. Sometime ago I did write on something similar which was The Most Comprehensive Guide To Buy Your Next Smartphone. This guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is more like an update to The Most Comprehensive Guide To Buy Your Next Smartphone but for some reasons it has a new article dedicated to it since we're i anew year.

Note that this guide is actually not going straight to list the worst android smartphones of 2017 for you or something like worst smartphone brands or top 10 worst smartphones and their brands, this is because there are great smartphones and also bad smartphones from most brands we can think of at the moment. So, I'll actually show you features in smartphones you should beware of and not think of buying unless it comes free(which is less likely) in 2017.

Having that in mind let's get to the matter of the day.

1. Low-End Smartphones From Top Brands
In 2017 all android smartphone brands would release more and more smartphones some High end some low-end. While high end devices are targeted at those who can afford them, the low end are for those who can not an as such come with very low to poor quality. Among the high ends are the Flagships which happen to be where these top brands put their focus on, the low end get little or no attention at all and to worsen it, these low end smartphones from top brands are overprice, really overpriced they're not worth it. Back to no attention, they never ever get OS update of any kind.

2. Smartphones Running Older And/Or Weaker SoC(Chipset And CPU)
The System on Chip(SoC) which essentially is the combination of the Chipset(motherboard) and CPU is rally responsible for a lot of the functions your smartphone does and can handle. It actually defines your smartphone. For the past few years, the smartphone market especially the android ecosystem has noticed great influx of cheap android smartphones into the market, how then do these Chinese brands succeed? They cut corners. That's the answer to how they they could afford to sell smartphones running on Snapdragon chipsets at very cheap price. How then do they cut corners? they serve you android smartphones running older and/or weaker chipsets like the Snapdragon 400 and 600 series. Not, like it's bad entirely but for geeky smartphone user who going for such smartphone is not worth it because these chipsets don't support some modern technologies like Quick Charge 2.0,or even the most recent 3.0 and a host of other technologies we expect to see on smartphones in 2017.

3. Smartphones Running Older Android And Those Without Hope Of An Update
Any android smartphone running on android 5.0 Lollipop and older versions is not worth your penny. If the company can't afford make smartphones that run latest android versions like Marshmallow and Nougat I doubt the phone would have any modern feature or even support any. This is because as time goes on, newer android versions are released and so many issues and loopholes are fixed and patched. Running older android versions only jeopardizes your smartphone security.

4. Smartphones With Overblown Specifications That Do Not Reflect
Most smartphone users think it's all about the numbers, some actually go for 'quantity' as against quality, thinking the large quantity would compensate for the low quality. And that is what this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is here to fix making sure you don't fall for these especially those set by these Chinese brands springing up here and there. Some of the overblown specifications that do not reflect is 4GB and above of RAM. 4GB and above of RAM on a smartphone is waste, I mean total waste. If you buy any smartphone with these only because of it's RAM size, just know you've successfully lost so much money. This is because many OEMs make you to believe the RAM size is solely responsible for the speed of your smartphone or other gadgets. No, your processor is responsible for that. The RAM is actually a Random Access Memory, more like a storage location where the system temporarily stores keeps files and or data it is making use of at that moment. When your smartphone is idle,y you use less RAM but when you're playing let's say a game your RAM usage becomes high because the system has moved some large files(belonging to the game) to that temporary storage(RAM), these files are removed once the game is closed, that's why it's temporary. That being said, your 4GB or even 6GB and above of RAM won't make a smartphone that has a very poor and old CPU run faster. Asides unnecessary large RAM size another overblown specification features on smartphone is battery capacity in mAh. You see, 4,000 mAh is perfect anything more than that is something else. These large mAh of battery makes these smartphones weigh so much like bricks, an example is the Gionee M2017 weighing 239 g almost twice the weight of the Samsung galaxy S7. A lot other features like camera Mega Pixels (which actually has little to do with the quality of pictures taken)

5. Very Poor Specifications
Not trying ti contradict myself though, especially since I just finished written about overblown specifications in No. 4 above. Very poor and low specifications on smartphones are also one of the reasons this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is being put up. I can't imagine a new smartphone in 2017 having 1GB or less of RAM or even the ones with 8GB or less of internal storage. Smartphones with CPUs of low frequency and cores, a lot other features also make for low or poor specifications on smartphones.

6. Older Technology Or Features With No Improvement
About this I'll share an image I got sometime ago when the iphone 7 was released, on this image the iphone 7 released last year 2016 is being compared with the Nexus 6 released three years ago(2014).

Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017, worst smartphones of 2017, smartphones that's waste of money, top 10 worst smartphones of 2017, 2017 android smartphones never to buy, save money don't buy these smartphones
That's about older technology or features.

7. Mid Range And High End Without Display Protection And Water/Dust Resistances
Your high end smartphone doesn't have these protections? sorry you actually have an overpriced piece of toy. Any smartphone that costs more than $250 should have these to a high degree.

8. Different Colour Of Same Smartphone With Different And Higher Price
This is a clear case of daylight robbery and ripoff. Same smartphones with same features and specifications but with different colours and with different colours comes different prices with one colour having a higher price than the other, it's a waste of cash paying more just because of it's colour.

While features we expect on smartphones do not have ending there's a limit to what we can do even with our fantastic android smartphones, that's why I stopped here but that doesn't mean these the only features we should avoid if you know any other not mentioned here please do share through the comment option below.

source http://www.droidpost.com/2017/01/smartphones-must-not-buy-in-2017-guide.html

Is quick Charge an app or it's embedded in the phone motherboard. Is it something I can put in my phone and it'll work?
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Originality007: 8:42am On Jan 30, 2017
TappGroupNG:
Very good tips OP, this is why I like my tecno.
Good quality without breaking my pocket. I have been using my W3 and while I'll appreciate a better camera its been serving for me for about 7 months now.

My zero 2 still serving at its best...best fone with nice Camera so far..
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by eitch: 8:46am On Jan 30, 2017
mohemos:
Your fourth point is not valid, RAM add hugely to the processing speed of smartphones, especially android devices that runs many apps background, RAM is very essential infact the speed of any android device dependence directly on the RAM size.

Not really... Ram and cpu can be like a grinding machine... Space available for feeding into the machine only holds the feed, its the grinding teeth that does the work of processing. So your ram can only guarantee how many apps can be run, it can't guarantee how fast they can be processed
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by castel428: 9:03am On Jan 30, 2017
henryobinna:
yea, you're right.
your budget plays a big role, but most times unless you have a ridiculously low amount there's always a smartphone for you.

cc lalasticlala
what about supported network, is 4G netword not an indespensable feature in any smart phone in this 2017? Just asking
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by henryobinna(m): 9:06am On Jan 30, 2017
mohemos see this
eitch:

Not really... Ram and cpu can be like a grinding machine... Space available for feeding into the machine only holds the feed, its the grinding teeth that does the work of processing. So your ram can only guarantee how many apps can be run, it can't guarantee how fast they can be processed
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by henryobinna(m): 9:08am On Jan 30, 2017
castel428:

what about supported network, is 4G netword not an indespensable feature in any smart phone in this 2017? Just asking
to an extent,

4G is not in most part of Nigeris, only for this who think Nigeria starts and ends with Lagos

1 Like

Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by henryobinna(m): 9:12am On Jan 30, 2017
ndcide:

Is quick Charge an app or it's embedded in the phone motherboard. Is it something I can put in my phone and it'll work?
it's not an app, it something your device SoC supports or not.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by henryobinna(m): 9:16am On Jan 30, 2017
kings09:
So op, will u give me more money to add to d one I have so I can buy the ones u recommend? Cos dis ur post have actually said nothing. Just wasted fp space
chill bro, just subscribe I'll be coming with a post about good budget android phone.

one thing you need to know is unless you have a ridiculously low amount (cash/money) there's always am android smartphones for you.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Nobody: 9:19am On Jan 30, 2017
fvck

#YOLO
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Mikeshiangala(m): 9:40am On Jan 30, 2017
The pocket talks much louder.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by kingPhidel(m): 9:47am On Jan 30, 2017
Please any Info on innjoo Max 3, someone should share share his experience with me.. ASAP
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Nobody: 9:58am On Jan 30, 2017
henryobinna:
This is quite lengthy.

Yes, I absolutely mean what you see above as the heading. Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. In this post I'll show you the smartphones you should and must never think of buying especially in this year 2017 when every major smartphone brands have gone haywire and berserk releasing smartphone with monster specifications.

Apparently, we're in the beginning of the year 2017(January) and as a result a lot of people would want to change their smartphones and of course some of the readers of this website possibly fall under the category of smartphone users who buy new smartphones every beginning of the year. Because of this, I decided to give a smartphone buying guide I expect anyone to adhere to in order not to lose money. By following this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017, what ever smartphone you eventually settle for would be one the best with maximum performance and value for your money. Sometime ago I did write on something similar which was The Most Comprehensive Guide To Buy Your Next Smartphone. This guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is more like an update to The Most Comprehensive Guide To Buy Your Next Smartphone but for some reasons it has a new article dedicated to it since we're i anew year.

Note that this guide is actually not going straight to list the worst android smartphones of 2017 for you or something like worst smartphone brands or top 10 worst smartphones and their brands, this is because there are great smartphones and also bad smartphones from most brands we can think of at the moment. So, I'll actually show you features in smartphones you should beware of and not think of buying unless it comes free(which is less likely) in 2017.

In 2017 all android smartphone brands would release more and more smartphones some High end some low-end. While high end devices are targeted at those who can afford them, the low end are for those who can not an as such come with very low to poor quality. Among the high ends are the Flagships which happen to be where these top brands put their focus on, the low end get little or no attention at all and to worsen it, these low end smartphones from top brands are overprice, really overpriced they're not worth it. Back to no attention, they never ever get OS update of any kind.

The System on Chip(SoC) which essentially is the combination of the Chipset(motherboard) and CPU is rally responsible for a lot of the functions your smartphone does and can handle. It actually defines your smartphone. For the past few years, the smartphone market especially the android ecosystem has noticed great influx of cheap android smartphones into the market, how then do these Chinese brands succeed? They cut corners. That's the answer to how they they could afford to sell smartphones running on Snapdragon chipsets at very cheap price. How then do they cut corners? they serve you android smartphones running older and/or weaker chipsets like the Snapdragon 400 and 600 series. Not, like it's bad entirely but for geeky smartphone user who going for such smartphone is not worth it because these chipsets don't support some modern technologies like Quick Charge 2.0,or even the most recent 3.0 and a host of other technologies we expect to see on smartphones in 2017.

Any android smartphone running on android 5.0 Lollipop and older versions is not worth your penny. If the company can't afford make smartphones that run latest android versions like Marshmallow and Nougat I doubt the phone would have any modern feature or even support any. This is because as time goes on, newer android versions are released and so many issues and loopholes are fixed and patched. Running older android versions only jeopardizes your smartphone security.

Most smartphone users think it's all about the numbers, some actually go for 'quantity' as against quality, thinking the large quantity would compensate for the low quality. And that is what this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is here to fix making sure you don't fall for these especially those set by these Chinese brands springing up here and there. Some of the overblown specifications that do not reflect is 4GB and above of RAM. 4GB and above of RAM on a smartphone is waste, I mean total waste. If you buy any smartphone with these only because of it's RAM size, just know you've successfully lost so much money. This is because many OEMs make you to believe the RAM size is solely responsible for the speed of your smartphone or other gadgets. No, your processor is responsible for that. The RAM is actually a Random Access Memory, more like a storage location where the system temporarily stores keeps files and or data it is making use of at that moment. When your smartphone is idle,y you use less RAM but when you're playing let's say a game your RAM usage becomes high because the system has moved some large files(belonging to the game) to that temporary storage(RAM), these files are removed once the game is closed, that's why it's temporary. That being said, your 4GB or even 6GB and above of RAM won't make a smartphone that has a very poor and old CPU run faster. Asides unnecessary large RAM size another overblown specification features on smartphone is battery capacity in mAh. You see, 4,000 mAh is perfect anything more than that is something else. These large mAh of battery makes these smartphones weigh so much like bricks, an example is the Gionee M2017 weighing 239 g almost twice the weight of the Samsung galaxy S7. A lot other features like camera Mega Pixels (which actually has little to do with the quality of pictures taken)

Not trying ti contradict myself though, especially since I just finished written about overblown specifications in No. 4 above. Very poor and low specifications on smartphones are also one of the reasons this guide Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017 is being put up. I can't imagine a new smartphone in 2017 having 1GB or less of RAM or even the ones with 8GB or less of internal storage. Smartphones with CPUs of low frequency and cores, a lot other features also make for low or poor specifications on smartphones.

About this I'll share an image I got sometime ago when the iphone 7 was released, on this image the iphone 7 released last year 2016 is being compared with the Nexus 6 released three years ago(2014).

Your high end smartphone doesn't have these protections? sorry you actually have an overpriced piece of toy. Any smartphone that costs more than $250 should have these to a high degree.

This is a clear case of daylight robbery and ripoff. Same smartphones with same features and specifications but with different colours and with different colours comes different prices with one colour having a higher price than the other, it's a waste of cash paying more just because of it's colour.

While features we expect on smartphones do not have ending there's a limit to what we can do even with our fantastic android smartphones, that's why I stopped here but that doesn't mean these the only features we should avoid if you know any other not mentioned here please do share through the comment option below.

source http://www.droidpost.com/2017/01/smartphones-must-not-buy-in-2017-guide.html

Thanks Op, I've been using itel 1550 for about 4 months now. It's very fast. it multitask without an itch. and to crown it up, the design is wow!
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by kings09(m): 10:01am On Jan 30, 2017
True
henryobinna:
chill bro, just subscribe I'll be coming with a post about good budget android phone.

one thing you need to know is unless you have a ridiculously low amount (cash/money) there's always am android smartphones for you.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by qamaols: 10:25am On Jan 30, 2017
Can't you just specify the names of SP we shouldn't waste money on I mean for a layman.This post is too technical and void of simple understanding.How on earth do u expect one to start checking for those listed detail in a new phone
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by bizhop01: 10:49am On Jan 30, 2017
I think good spec. phone to go for this year is Gionee M2017 price is $1600 under #800,000
if you can afford good one,but don't sale your asset.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Danfuster(m): 11:06am On Jan 30, 2017
in addition, don't buy a phone that will deform your pinky. I'm taking a break from my phone, slowly adopting another style of handling my smartphone.

Phones are getting heavier by the day due to aesthetics and hunger for more Mah capacity.

Look at your pinky right now... Yes you! Look at it right now and compare it to the other, notice the deformity.

1 Like

Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by adeodunsimilolu(f): 12:08pm On Jan 30, 2017
OP or anyone
whats ur take on L5? I need a new small affordabLe phone btw 25k-30k.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by cybriz82(m): 12:49pm On Jan 30, 2017
henryobinna:
This is quite lengthy.

na u want give dem money to buy fone b4?
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Nobody: 12:57pm On Jan 30, 2017
henryobinna:
This is quite lengthy.

Dear Op

Poverty has eaten so deep into ur brain that everything you wrote is Shiit! I am currently using iphone7 and I have been using iPhones right from the days ur spermatozoa was formed. iphone7 is da bomb, the A10 chip in it is simply (AI) Aritificial Intelligence. Do you even know what Siri does Lin iphone7. I guess u don't because ur life is tied down to phones like Injoo and itel. Stop posting shiit and go fvck urself!
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by sweetilicious(f): 3:42pm On Jan 30, 2017
I hope my phone is not bad
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Oscarpraise(m): 4:31pm On Jan 30, 2017
With my itel S31, am very okay
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by akinis09: 7:15pm On Jan 30, 2017
Nice one there, u've said it all. But if I have to follow this guide to the letter, meaning one shouldn't bother himself buying all this yeye tecno, infinix, itel etc
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by frankwalker(m): 11:07pm On Jan 30, 2017
Well said. Thanks for sharing.
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by TappGroupNG: 2:38pm On Feb 02, 2017
Is that a tecno phone?
Originality007:

My zero 2 still serving at its best...best fone with nice Camera so far..
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by TappGroupNG: 2:39pm On Feb 02, 2017
Lady smiley. Yes I bought the w3 in Lagos
Naughtytboy:
ok bro,, lag right?
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Originality007: 4:04pm On Feb 02, 2017
TappGroupNG:
Is that a tecno phone?

infinix
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by Freak101(f): 10:18pm On Feb 04, 2017
Op which one you dey use ?? If we check now,na wiko oo or blu
Re: Smartphones You Must Not Buy In 2017. by kunleyy(m): 7:03am On Jul 16, 2017
Innophyno:
is lollipop not a manageable android version?

Ion like it, it also the O.S that consumes battery a lot compared to KitKat, marshmallow and nougat

(1) (2) (Reply)

Samsung Galaxy A70 Unboxing Video And My First Impressions / Drop A Screenshot Of Your Homescreen / Infinix Hot 8 Gaming Review - Mario Kart, PES, Modern Combat, Asphalt 9 (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 157
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.