Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,953 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:08 AM

10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria (16845 Views)

Getting A Job In The Oil Industry With A Third Class: How Possible? / "Don't Ever Take No For An Answer" - Pretty Lady Says After Getting A Job.Photos / 10 Things A Graduate Should Do While Waiting For A Good Job Offer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by onismate: 4:55am On Jan 27, 2017

1. Your First interview might not land you the job
: You just finished NYSC and got an invite from your dream company for an interview. And it’s your first in your first ever interview. From what I discovered, your first interview might not land you the job. Am not saying it cannot “but” might not. As a fresh graduate I was so happy at the invitation of my first post NYSC interview. It looked as if I had gotten the job. I have done the interview, months past and I’m still going to numerous interviews.
2. The fact you were invited for an interview does not mean you have the job: I know many people go dey happy say so-so company invite them for interview. You will come for that interview and after everything you won’t hear from the company again.
3. Experience matters: Yes! Your number of years of experience in other organizations or elsewhere matters a lot. It would determine whether the job will be given to you or not.
4. Your years of experience are sometimes used to negotiate your salary: Many a times you have a laid down plan and salary to give to the company if hired. But forget that thing joor. When they see that you have just a year experience from the previous company you worked. The company would rather hire or pay fat salaries to those who have more experience than those without or least years’ experience.
5. You will meet interviewers who know nothing or less about the job role they are interviewing you for, but yet still argue and deny you the job: I have gone for numerous interviews that the interviewers know nothing much about the job role because it’s relatively new and broad in the industry. Yet they will still argue with you that you are wrong in the answers you gave them. They deny you the offer.
6. You applied for a job role and got the job, more responsibilities the organization didn’t tell you about will be added to the job: I went for an interview for the role of a social media personnel. After the interview the CEO of the organization called me. She started asking numerous questions like, “if I could drive a car?” Because sometimes I will have to drive her around. Some organizations would definitely add more responsibilities and roles to the ones given to you.
7. Getting a good job in Nigeria is not easy: My dear, getting a good job in Nigeria is not easy. When you get a very good job, it looks as if you won a world cup.
8. Some interviewers are the Devil’s special assistants: Some interviewers are just bent on frustrating you. They put you on a very hot fire by asking embarrassing questions. The desperate and gullible applicants often fall prey to them. There are cases where interviewers ask applicants if they are in a relationship and their financial status. It’s so unprofessional.
9. After hiring you, they may decide to sack you and nothing will happen: This one is as a result of our Nigeria’s poor labour laws. Employers threats their workers anyhow and nothing happens. They will sack you and nothing will happen because they know that there are thousands ready and willing to replace you.
10. The best might not be the ones that get the job: This is absolutely correct. After interview, the successful ones might not be the best. The only thing is that luck ran out of the unsuccessful ones, the successful ones were favoured. Na only God fit give favour oo.

http://hovabuzz.com/frontline/1290-10-things-i-wasn-t-told-about-getting-a-job-in-nigeria-after-nysc

34 Likes 6 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by saxwizard(m): 6:16am On Jan 27, 2017
GOODLUCK TO ALL JOB SEEKERS smiley

4 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Montaque(m): 7:00am On Jan 27, 2017
If u negotiated ur salary well, they will come with salary deduction mechanisms to show u that u aint wiser

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by sylviaeo(f): 7:25am On Jan 27, 2017
GOD HELP US

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Antoeni(m): 7:25am On Jan 27, 2017
Now that you know, what next?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Hades2016(m): 7:25am On Jan 27, 2017
That number 8 though lol grin
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by herdekunley9ja(m): 7:26am On Jan 27, 2017
na wer person even see dat job wea he/she go seek..... naija is nt smiling oooo

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by obembet(f): 7:26am On Jan 27, 2017
K
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by goshen26: 7:27am On Jan 27, 2017
LWKM @ point 6, hope driving her around will not leas to another thing sha?
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Princess4ng(f): 7:28am On Jan 27, 2017
Thank God u r aware now grin
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Yannny: 7:28am On Jan 27, 2017
We need youths that will create and not chase jobs in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by goshen26: 7:30am On Jan 27, 2017
obembet:
K
kettle
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by EmilyShoton(f): 7:30am On Jan 27, 2017
Hmmm
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Pavore9: 7:32am On Jan 27, 2017
For those who can, look for something to start no matter how small and put in your best The labour market is saturated!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by 1Rebel: 7:33am On Jan 27, 2017
Carry your certificate and flee from nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by efilefun(m): 7:34am On Jan 27, 2017
The issue is most people believe once you are a graduate you must get a white collar job. Instead of thinking about what job you can do with your certificates you should be thinking of what you can do with your skills
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by oyeyemirichard(m): 7:36am On Jan 27, 2017
Make God help man
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by eleojo23: 7:37am On Jan 27, 2017
Wishing all job seekers success.
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by GeoOla25(m): 7:42am On Jan 27, 2017
Deloitte Akintola be like Why should we hire you? ...I be like why did you call me for interview...

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by eleojo23: 7:44am On Jan 27, 2017
GeoOla25:
Deloitte Akintola be like Why should we hire you? ...I be like why did you call me for interview...

I wonder o! grin

2 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by MuyiRano(m): 7:47am On Jan 27, 2017
While just saying skiborobo oshey baddest In studio is fetching Lil Keshi millions. God pick our calls
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by sakalisis(m): 7:49am On Jan 27, 2017
Ok
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by ednut1(m): 7:49am On Jan 27, 2017
GeoOla25:
hahaha

9 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by lollmaolol(m): 7:51am On Jan 27, 2017
Devil's special assistant got me laughing
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by MVLOX(m): 7:58am On Jan 27, 2017
The truth... Nothing but the truth
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Thayorr(m): 7:59am On Jan 27, 2017
True
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by ItzHoludex(m): 8:03am On Jan 27, 2017
hizzay hard suntin
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Godswillnwaoma(m): 8:10am On Jan 27, 2017
these are the reasons why i said it time without number that i will never look for a white colar job,after my graduation this year i;m venturing into transport business.
In five years time if God permit i wil actualize my dream of setting up a haulage & logistics company.

Who salary work help?

1 Like

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by dragnet: 8:11am On Jan 27, 2017
No. 5 is very true...
Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by jtjohn(m): 8:11am On Jan 27, 2017
No more searching for jobs, I want to enroll for a fashion school........When last did NNPC or NPS recruit all they do is REPLACEMENT I know most of this things because my parent work there though my Dad is retired now..

3 Likes

Re: 10 Things I Wasn't Aware Of About Getting A Job In Nigeria by Ifeconwaba(m): 8:18am On Jan 27, 2017
Sometimes all this job interview, unemployment this and that want to make me regret going to school

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Zodiac Link Recruitment / How To Identify A Fake Recruitment Outfit / Buhari Gov’t Created 12 Millions New Jobs – Garba Shehu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.