Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,042 members, 7,807,125 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:59 AM

Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused (13281 Views)

Should I Accept Or Decline This Job Offer? / Accept This Job Offer Or Continue Job Hunting??? / Should I Accept This Police Job? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 8:07am On Jan 28, 2017
hello nairalanders I'm in a dilemma right now and I need real advice. I do hope I get a very wise one because I haven't enough time on my clock. the mods can also help me to push this to FP because its my future at stake.
I'm in a position where I don't know whether to continue schooling - MSc, or accept a job offer.
after my BSc, I didn't want to continue on with my course of study because I realised I hadn't much passion for it, I went in to study mathematics because it came my way and at the time I couldn't say no to an admission. so after nysc, I went in to do a PGD in geography and environmental management. i already had love for the geosciences. came out with a good result that qualified me for a MSc in any of the related discipline. I applied for environmental hazard management and got the admission.
at this point things became more difficult with the recession and it is clear to me that I won't be having any support. school fees has increased and the cost of running the MSc has gone high. on the other side, I've been applying for jobs as a HSE officer/manager which I have some years of experience working during the break within my programs. I just missed a job in nestoil because my guy in there didn't act fast to recommend me when there was emergency vacancy. however, because of the disappointment they have offered me a job as a HSE officer in a seismic company. they have asked me to come on Monday 30th January.
by calendar I'm suppose to start MSc lectures on the same date. I have drained my brain thinking of what to do....whether to take the job and differ my admission perhaps, or to go on with the MSc and ignore the job for now...
I know that a lot of you folks out there have been in a similar situation or you know someone who was. please your advice is needed, I don't want to make a mistake that I will regret...and I just have less than 2 days before the interviews on Monday morning.
please mods help me get this to front page. I'm depending on their advice. this is my last resort. thanks

4 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by yomi007k(m): 8:16am On Jan 28, 2017
If na me, I go take d job cos I need finances n will be building my experience N in d long run may be independent to run my own thing.

Broke ppl dont go to school n msc is nt an assurance of employment in today's Nigeria.

62 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by SoftP(m): 8:16am On Jan 28, 2017
You are most fortunate my brother! If u know how many PhD holders applied for Dangotes truck driver advert last two years, u wouldn't seek a second opinion. U've got a job offer from one of the leading oil companies in Nigeria, yet u wish to alternate with one bloody MSC program. Like seriously! There is always room to further ur studies when u work with such companies, its to their own advantage. I advice u stick with the rossy Job ..opportunity comes but once... Goodluck.

Mehn, u've got to change that ur monicker; ur employers might see u a threat to the female workers

37 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by thesicilian: 8:23am On Jan 28, 2017
Take the job. Do your MSc later. But make sure you have your employment letter at hand first before you terminate the MSc programme officially.

29 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Nobody: 8:24am On Jan 28, 2017
if i slap u,u go collect dat work.why are u going for msc?isn't it to upgrade ur chances and d chances are here nw

21 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 8:25am On Jan 28, 2017
yomi007k:
If na me, I go take d job cos I need finances n will be building my experience N in d long run may be independent to run my own thing.

Broke ppl dont go to school n msc is nt an assurance of employment in today's Nigeria.

thanks bro. what u have said makes sense

3 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Hallenjay: 8:26am On Jan 28, 2017
thesicilian:
Take the job. Do your MSc later. But make sure you have your employment letter at hand first before you terminate the MSc programme officially.
support

8 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 8:27am On Jan 28, 2017
nnamdiokere45:
if i slap u,u go collect dat work.why are u going for msc?isn't it to upgrade ur chances and d chances are here nw

if na the slap go make me do the right thing, brother tear me hot slap biko.

49 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 8:28am On Jan 28, 2017
thesicilian:

looks like the best option I have. thanks bro

2 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 8:29am On Jan 28, 2017
SoftP:
You are most fortunate my brother! If u know how many PhD holders applied for Dangotes truck driver advert last two years, u wouldn't seek a second opinion. U've got a job offer from one of the leading oil companies in Nigeria, yet u wish to alternate with one bloody MSC program. Like seriously! There is always room to further ur studies when u work with such companies, its to their own advantage. I advice u stick with the rossy Job ..opportunity comes but once... Goodluck.

Mehn, u've got to change that ur monicker; ur employers might see u a threat to the female workers

your advice is so apt. thank you and thank you for your advice on my moniker as well.

2 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Des5(m): 8:35am On Jan 28, 2017
Bros take that job sharply, invites me to celebrates with you congratulations.

6 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by joycesims(f): 8:46am On Jan 28, 2017
Transfer the job to me, go for your MSC, after your MSc you can have your job back! lol!

Lucky you, Take the work offer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by coolebux(m): 8:50am On Jan 28, 2017
U see? na you de claim say your d*ck na rod. E don reach to show how smart you are, only you don turn veqetable now If you no collect that job, even Baba God go vex for you.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by brokenplate: 8:58am On Jan 28, 2017
Enemies of progress everywhere... Smh

Bro turn down the offer and continue with the M.Sc

In this recession you need a good degree not a good job.

5 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 9:03am On Jan 28, 2017
brokenplate:
Enemies of progress everywhere... Smh
Bro turn down the offer and continue with the M.Sc
In this recession you need a good degree not a good job.
why do u advice this?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Nobody: 9:17am On Jan 28, 2017
rodDICK:

dnt decline dat offer...jobs are rare ds days weda u b phd holder or msc

2 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Sambest2(m): 9:25am On Jan 28, 2017
Don't be quick to make a decision without considering these:
What is the job take home pay.
Job security
Are you going to have more advantage after your Msc

1 Like

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by rodDICK(m): 9:35am On Jan 28, 2017
Sambest2:
Don't be quick to make a decision without considering these:
What is the job take home pay.
Job security
Are you going to have more advantage after your Msc

nice thought. I guess I will get any info about the pay and job security on Monday. about whether I will have more advantage after my MSc, I definitely will. I will be more qualified in the HSE field after my MSc even if I do currently have some professional qualification.

that's the reason why it is a difficult decision to make.
Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by DonCortino: 9:44am On Jan 28, 2017
Take d damn job and change ur msc to part time( if that is possible)

5 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Delphi(m): 9:52am On Jan 28, 2017
Bro, I have a different view. If you can manage to sustain yourself financially during the course of the MSc programme, pls proceed for your MSc without looking back.
My reason is that the old saying that "the pen is mightier than the sword" is still potent and applicable in this contemporary world regardless of the economic situation that holds sway. At the long run, the return on investment this MSc will yield will be better experienced than imagined. Just one day, it will materialise out!
Again, being an HSE officer in a seismic company is like being a prison warder, which is no different from being a 'prisoner' in terms of tying down of time. You will never have any spare time at work to joke with. Trekking will surely suffice as your hobby.
Mind you, if you were to get this job offer in an IOC, my piece of advice would have been different. Regards.

4 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by brokenplate: 9:55am On Jan 28, 2017
rodDICK:

why do u advice this?

What happens when you get laid off ?

Are you ruling out the possibility?
Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Nobody: 10:55am On Jan 28, 2017
Times are already hard for you, take the job if it's worth your while and if you are mentally prepared for it
Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by konny1(m): 4:30pm On Jan 28, 2017
Bro pls defer the admission, go for the job then I think one year is enough to know the in and out of the organization and it key people.
So that you know who and whom to run to when u have something important to do in school that can cover-up for you.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by cc150615(f): 5:25pm On Jan 28, 2017
rodDICK:

nice thought. I guess I will get any info about the pay and job security on Monday. about whether I will have more advantage after my MSc, I definitely will. I will be more qualified in the HSE field after my MSc even if I do currently have some professional qualification.

that's the reason why it is a difficult decision to make.

OP, you sound like you already have an idea of what you want to do....now you appear not even too buoyant to run dt Msc so your best bet would be AFTER you have received your offer letter, defer your Msc admission for a year, dt way even if the job wasn't as sweet as you want you can manage it for a year nd if you're so tired of the job by then you'd have saved up some money wic you can now use for the Msc but if the job turned out good you fire on. Now that's how to eat your cake and have it.
And may I tell you that in the industrial world, experience always covers up for all that whatever you think the Msc would add to your worth. You'll thank me later.
I'm passionate to see you succeed.

6 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Pinkieblue(f): 7:08pm On Jan 28, 2017
Cornerstone insurance plc, is seeking to recruit energetic, strong-willed and focused individuals to join it's team of professionals in line with its growth and expansion plan.

Our organization was established to conduct insurance business in a customer focused manner.

Job title: Financial planner/Marketing Executive

How to Apply:

Interested and qualified candidates should send their cv to bucherecruitment@gmail.com
Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Roland17(m): 8:06pm On Jan 28, 2017
First and most importantly, develop a 5 year strategic plan, ensure this plan is measureable irrespective of changes in dynamics. My advice depends solely on the value of the position being offered.

Take some sort of sabbatical from your academics, and accept the job. Use the job to build your career and professional experience which would ultimately boost the value of your resume in the future. (1st-3rd year)

While building your professional experience, also build your financial base and make wise financial decisions because you would need the finances to resume school to complete your masters. (1st-3rd year)

Once you stabilize at your job, go back to school and complete your masters degree. By this time, your masters degree, alongside your professional experience within the company would arm you with requisite knowledge necessary for a promotion within the company or a better job else where (3rd-5th year).

In the instance there is no value in the position being offered (I am not particularly versed with the position and company), kindly figure out a way to complete your degree. Every sacrifice must be worth the opportunity cost.

All in all pray to God for wisdom and guidance.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by MaziOmenuko: 10:04pm On Jan 28, 2017
One advise though;

Try to separate the wheat from the chaff when it comes to Nairaland advises: most of nairalanders are jambites.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jan 28, 2017
Ok here's my take on this... Take the job offer and run ur MSc as a part-time programme.

Immediately after my NYSC, the first thing I did was look for a job even if the job is not all that ok but it's kind of sustaining me...and then all them professional courses and MSc will be done gradually on part-time basis...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by davepepple83(m): 1:18am On Jan 29, 2017
Delphi:
Bro, I have a different view. If you can manage to sustain yourself financially during the course of the MSc programme, pls proceed for your MSc without looking back.
My reason is that the old saying that "the pen is mightier than the sword" is still potent and applicable in this contemporary world regardless of the economic situation that holds sway. At the long run, the return on investment this MSc will yield will be better experienced than imagined. Just one day, it will materialise out!
Again, being an HSE officer in a seismic company is like being a prison warder, which is no different from being a 'prisoner' in terms of tying down of time. You will never have any spare time at work to joke with. Trekking will surely suffice as your hobby.
Mind you, if you were to get this job offer in an IOC, my piece of advice would have been different. Regards.

This is a stupid advice my dear. Please, how old are you? How can you give this ridiculous empty advice? I am not sure you are in Nigeria. Abegiiiiiiiii ,comot make i see road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by SweetBoyFriend(m): 7:26am On Jan 29, 2017

You must be the dumbest person on earth to be asking that type of question

Continue with school, the job will wait for you

Ain't you tired of begging your parents for money ??

Education is a waste of Money, time and energy

I never went to the university

I stopped at SS3, took WAEC and got 7 A's

All my friends and the people i know went to the university

Only me and 5 of my classmates went into business and we were the talk of the town, people were calling us stupid, dumb and useless

7 years later, 6 of us got so rich that we can buy and feed the whole town for 100 years

We send money to those guys that went to the university

Name a wealthy person and tell me the university they went to

6 Likes

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by AntiWailer: 7:26am On Jan 29, 2017
Accept the job offer.

Differ ur admission by 1 year.

Besides, you can do your MSc at any time or look for a more flexible one that will still allow you work.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Do I Continue Schooling Or Accept This Job Offer - So Confused by Adonis3: 7:27am On Jan 29, 2017
rodDICK:

*shifts back*
*raises left hand*
*turns it backwards*
*tears op one hot backhanded slap*

My guy, you don't have an issue..

First, to avoid stories that touch, be ultimately certain you have that job.

Try process the admission for the MSc program,

Then defer the admission..

Whatever you do, biko don't let that job go, I take GOD beg you

The job experience will eventually be more valuable than the MSc cert. Trust me

Delphi:

Bros abeg no vex oo, shy OP been thief your girlfriend nii

Abeg no put that one for mind, na small pikin dey do am.. *slaps OP's ogor*

Why you go give person this kind advice na.. Shoo shocked shocked

Op no mind am oo... E be like say this guy dey follow you drag that position

#Adonis3HasSpoken

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FRSC Job Applicants To Write JAMB Test / Is BOI Recruiting At The Moment?? / What Was Your Rejection Story Like; How Did You Handle It? Please Share

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.