Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:43 PM

Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. (4173 Views)

Photos Of Aliens Living Under The Earth / I Agree The Earth Is Round but... / The Earth Is FLAT. Discuss! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Nobody: 9:04am On Feb 03, 2017
johnydon22:
it's a pity bro... are you through with your exams
Not yet. Will be writing till the 17th.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by johnydon22(m): 10:28am On Feb 03, 2017
Dawdy:

You haven't given me what I want. You showed me CGI again despite being told that it wasn't wanted. Pls Johndon22 show real footage of the Earth. Not computer generated imagery.
I knew he would still maintain they are CGi when stumped... Bros na real images be that... I can't help you if you willfully live in such peurile denial
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Nobody: 10:38am On Feb 03, 2017
The kind of insanity people say, just to justify some theories against evidence, is astonishing.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by majestique(f): 11:29am On Feb 03, 2017
Dayoto:
' Suppose you don't understand what is written up there, you can always re-check for better understanding. Flat Earth my foot!

I am not going to argue with you or anyone else on this topic. like I said before, I was once a believer in the spherical earth theory but now I know better.... you don't even need Google for this. just take your telescope, go out on a clear night and study the moon.

that the earth is flat doesn't mean it is as flat as a pancake. even the so called scientists are confused about it's real shape. first they said it is round, then they said it is flat at its poles and bulges at the equator.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Nobody: 3:20am On Feb 04, 2017
For some reason I've avoided the science section, this thread and many others just prove why.

We've got many science topics to discuss about, yet the flat and sphere earth war is what is being discussed, in 2017 for that matter.... seriously?

Anyway, while trying to keep an open mind on the matter on ground, I would love if the flat earth theories could give thier own proposed map(maybe I saw wrong maps), and explain how come Argentina to Australia is shorter(time wise) than USA to Australia... Considering the fact that according to the maps(of the flat earth) I've seen, the shortest route for the Argentina-Australia flight would be directly through North America.

and since distance, speed, time have a relationship, The reverse should be the case.

Disclaimer: I support neither theories.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by johnydon22(m): 6:29pm On Feb 04, 2017
Dawdy:
One of heliocentrist’s favorite “proofs” of their ball-Earth theory is the ability for ships and planes to circumnavigate, to sail or fly at right angles to the North Pole and eventually return to their original location. Since the North Pole and Antarctica are covered in ice and guarded “no-fly” zones, however, no ships or planes have ever been known to circumnavigate the Earth in North/South directions, only East/West; And herein lies the rub, East or West-bound circumnavigation can just as easily be performed on a flat plane as it can a globular sphere. Just as a compass can place its center-point on a flat piece of paper and trace a circle either way around the “pole,” so can a ship or plane circumnavigate a flat-Earth. The only kind of circumnavigation which could not happen on a flat-Earth is North/South-bound, which is likely the very reason for the heavily-enforced flight restrictions. Flight restrictions originating from none other than the United Nations, the same United Nations which haughtily uses a flat-Earth map as its official logo and flag!

it's time i brought out time to put all these silly conspiracy theories to rest once and for all, first of all - everything you have written up there is totally destroyed by the fact that people has actually circumnavigated the globe via north and south pole and return to their start point..

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/first-circumnavigation-via-both-poles-surface..

check it and see for yourself then stop peddling this rubbish that the north and south poles are no flight zones cus they are not, you can go if you have the means and then goodluck with the cold..

let me hear you raise this point again..

Loj , teempakguy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by johnydon22(m): 6:40pm On Feb 04, 2017
Dawdy:
Ships appear to sink as they recede past the horizon
On the sinking ship, Rowbotham describes a mechanism by which the hull is hidden by the angular limits of perception - the ship will appear to intersect with the vanishing point and become lost to human perception as the hull's increasingly shallow path creates a tangent on which the hull is so close to the surface of the ocean that the two are indistinguishable. The ship's hull gets so close to the surface of the water as it recedes that they appear to merge together. Where bodies get so close together that they appear to merge is called the Vanishing Point. The Vanishing Point is created when the perspective lines are angled less than one minute of a degree. Hence, this effectively places the vanishing point a finite distance away from the observer.
Usually it is taught in art schools that the vanishing point is an infinite distance away from the observer, as so:

However, since man cannot perceive infinity due to human limitations, the perspective lines are modified and placed a finite distance away from the observer as so:

This finite distance to the vanishing point is what allows ships to shrink into horizon and disappear as their hulls intersect with the vanishing point from the bottom up. As the boat recedes into the distance its hull is gradually and perceptively appearing closer and closer to the surface of the sea. At a far off point the hull of the ship is so close to the sea's surface that it is impossible for the observer to tell ocean from hull.

this is plain silly - i am quite certain that the crap you posted up there doesn't even make sense to you...

the vanishing point in a flat plain means that the farther an objects goes from an observer the smaller it becomes until finally vanishing from sight entirely and that happens to every part of the ship not a gradual sink from the base of the ship to the mast - that can only happen in a curved surface.

If the flat earth model is correct then approaching ships will not reveal mast first before the lower parts of the ship comes into view. No, the whole part of the ship would appear as a little point that gets bigger as it gets closer.

we a know that isn't the case rather ships approaching or departing in a vast mass of land shows obvious evidence for a curved surface as the mast comes up first and sink last on both occassions
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by ValentineMary(m): 8:06am On Feb 05, 2017
Nice thread Tempakguy. It has been a while on nairaland grin.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by ValentineMary(m): 8:08am On Feb 05, 2017
johnydon22:

this is plain silly - i am quite certain that the crap you posted up there doesn't even make sense to you...

the vanishing point in a flat plain means that the farther an objects goes from an observer the smaller it becomes until finally vanishing from sight entirely and that happens to every part of the ship not a gradual sink from the base of the ship to the mast - that can only happen in a curved surface.

If the flat earth model is correct then approaching ships will not reveal mast first before slowy the lower parts of the ship comes into view, no the whole part of the ship would appear as a little point that gets bigger as it gets closer.

we a know that isn't the case rather ships approaching or departing in a vast mast of land shows obvious evidence for a curved surface as the mast comes up first and sink last on both occassions
I could not even make sense from what he wrote. Even optics disproves it.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Nobody: 9:46am On Feb 09, 2017
ValentineMary:
Nice thread Tempakguy. It has been a while on nairaland grin.
thanks. cheesy.

also. johnydon22. THANK YOU. I was already getting depressed at the prospect of having to reply the guy again.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Feb 09, 2017
majestique:

I am not going to argue with you or anyone else on this topic. like I said before, I was once a believer in the spherical earth theory but now I know better.... you don't even need Google for this. just take your telescope, go out on a clear night and study the moon.
He's asking for evidences of a flat earth....... And you're telling him to study the moon undecided
Ironically, during a lunar eclipse, the earth casts a round shadow on the moon, not a flat one.

See how riddiculous your theory's sounding grin

that the earth is flat doesn't mean it is as flat as a pancake. even the so called scientists are confused about it's real shape. first they said it is round, then they said it is flat at its poles and bulges at the equator.

I'm curious, which scientist ever said the earth was round, then flat

That the earth is geoid rather than spherical is not a much of a shocker, seeing that earlier scientists did not have the equipment nor the knowledge we possess now about gravity and other factors.

For f.u.ck sake, You can live stream from satellites capturing the earth's rotation.

What more do you want
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by Geofavor(m): 10:22am On May 12, 2017
The Earth isn't 'round', though.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by IdeeEsperanza(m): 6:40pm On May 14, 2017
We have been deceived for ages with the CGI images of the earth. I don't want to talk much here. What I do believe is that the earth isn't a sphere as we are thought and shown.

I know how difficult it is. It's like someone coming to say that 1+1 is not 2! No one will believe such person. Same way, we've been believing for ages that the earth is spherical, it'll be so hard to believe otherwise.

WE ARE BEING DECEIVED.

Besides, there was no moon landing! It's all a cooked-up conspiracy by the world government.

And the space walk we all watch is just a Hollywood movie >: grin. Funny but true.
Re: Reasons Why We Know The Earth Is Round. by IdeeEsperanza(m): 6:44pm On May 14, 2017
And yet, we can't see the lies! grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

₦420Billion: China Is Building World's Longest DOUBLE-DECK Suspension Bridge(Pic / Generator: Sumec Firman Or Tec / Sell Your Dead Or Scrap Laptop To Us Here In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.