Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,912 members, 7,806,648 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:51 PM

I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. (959 Views)

Howard Sueing III Ekundayo: American Man Adopts Nigerian Wife’s Surname / My Husband Has A Different Surname To The One He Uses.. / How My Wife Has Been Terrorizing Me Spiritually And The Effects On Us (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by philchudi: 7:55pm On Jan 30, 2017
Hello,
My Name is Ali Philip Chukwudi. My surname is Ali. And as the name is a Muslim name, I have answered countless of questions about how my surname is Muslim name and I am not one.

Even though I was able to answer must of them, I am tied of these questions, thus I am thinking of changing my surname.

And to set the records straight, I am not a Muslim and none of my generations was ever one. It is that in my community and even in Nsukka generally people use to answer names like Ali.

However, the name written as Ali was not actually Ali but the corruption of the name ARRI or vice versa. Also the common boundary with Muslim communities from Kogi and Benue state might have also played a part in the transfer of names.

My problem is that all my documents from Primary school to University bears the surname.

What are the effects of changing the name both locally and I internationally in case I travel abroad.

Thanks
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by philchudi: 8:08pm On Jan 30, 2017
Please, I need ur advise
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by Onyenna(m): 8:13pm On Jan 30, 2017
Contact your lawyer and he'll handle/prepare all the necessary documents required(affidavit etc)....Also newspaper publication(s) is gravely required.....

.... All the best Nwanne.....
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 30, 2017
Do a name change. Have it published in the local newspaper. That's all there is to it. You could change it to something close though, like Allison or something less feminine sounding. smiley
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by philchudi: 8:19pm On Jan 30, 2017
Onyenna:
Contact your lawyer and he'll handle/prepare all the necessary documents required(affidavit etc)....Also newspaper publication(s) is gravely required.....

.... All the best Nwanne.....
Thanks bro.
But won't it look suspicious. For instance, if i went to interview in embassy or if someone goes through ur background without a clear understanding will just stereotype u as a Muslim looking for easy way out?
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by philchudi: 8:20pm On Jan 30, 2017
Ioannes:
Do a name change. Have it published in the local newspaper. That's all there is to it. You could change it to something close though, like Allison or something less feminine sounding. smiley
Thanks, I am thinking of (Ani)

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by Sunnymatey(m): 8:38pm On Jan 30, 2017
Time to shake off any thing that might connect u with moslems.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by Onyenna(m): 8:40pm On Jan 30, 2017
philchudi:

Thanks bro.
But won't it look suspicious. For instance, if i went to interview in embassy or if someone goes through ur background without a clear understanding will just stereotype u as a Muslim looking for easy way out?

Not @ all.....people change surnames every now and then......It has nothing to do with religion.....if you have all the necessary documents then you have nothing to worry about....

Seems you're about to head to the US embassy for interview..... This change you're about to make may seem sudden though(and the interviewers may not understand)......In my area, people call "Land" "ALI" instead of "ALA"....
Re: I Want To Change My Muslim Surname, What Are The Effects. by philchudi: 9:04pm On Jan 30, 2017
Onyenna:

Not @ all.....people change surnames every now and then......It has nothing to do with religion.....if you have all the necessary documents then you have nothing to worry about....

Seems you're about to head to the US embassy for interview..... This change you're about to make may seem sudden though(and the interviewers may not understand)......In my area, people call "Land" "ALI" instead of "ALA"....
Thanks a lot. US! not now but will one day but d change is better now than then.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ten (10) Golden Secrets Of Marriage: To Those Who Are Married And....... / Please I Need An Interpretation Of This Dream. / Parents Kick Against Immortality In School Literature Books- What Say You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.