Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,398 members, 7,800,809 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty (5635 Views)

Merchants Upgrade POS Machines To Automatically Charge N50 Stamp Duty / Manufacturer Cautions CBN Over Sale Of Dollar To Bdcs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by Yarnvibes(f): 2:49am On Feb 01, 2017
Nigeria Employers Consultative Association, NECA, umbrella body for employers in the country, yesterday, berated Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, over its failure to comply with the Court of Appeal’s ruling directing all Deposit Money Banks, DMB, to discontinue the illegal charging of N50 per transaction in lieu of Stamp Duties.

It will be recalled that the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos on April 21, 2016, ruled against the imposition of stamp duties on bank lodgements with value of N1,000 and above.

The Federal Government had planned to raise about N2.5 trillion per annum from the duty.

Ruling on an appeal filed by Standard Chartered Bank against Kasmal International Services Limited and 22 others, Justice Ibrahim Saulawa and four other Justices of the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos, held that the Stamp Duties Act, 2004 did not impose a duty on Deposit Money Banks to deduct N50 on deposits.

The CBN had, in a circular issued to the DMBs, directed them to deduct N50 for stamp duties on every deposit into a current account of N1,000 and above from January 1, 2016.

The circular, which has since been implemented by the banks, came despite the pendency of issue in the court.

Furthermore, even after the Court of Appeal order to DMBs to discontinue the stamp duty charge, the banks have continued debiting customers’ accounts on stamp duty.

NECA and the Organised Private Sector, OPS, had opposed attempts by the Nigeria Postal Service, NIPOST, to compel companies to affix a N50 postal stamp on all receipts, invoices and documents evidencing transaction of N1, 000 and above.

NECA, in a statement in Lagos by its Director General, Mr. Segun Oshinowo, said that “There had been a landmark ruling in the case at the Court of Appeal on this subject matter between Kasmal International Services Limited and Access Bank and 23 others, which declared the deductions illegal.

“NECA has expressed grave concern over the failure of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to reverse its earlier directives to all DMBs to halt the charging of N50 per eligible transaction in accordance with the assumed provisions of the Stamp Duties Act and Federal Government Financial Regulations (2009). The CBN is hereby, advised to do the needful without delay by directing cessation of further deductions and commence the refund of all accrued deductions in the past to their customers.

“NECA urges the Buhari administration to restrain its operatives from pursuing policies that will increase the burden on the citizenry both corporate and individuals. Stamp Duty’s applicability is limited to purchases involving large sums like a house purchase or importation of goods as against the position of applying N50 postage stamp to all receipts given by any bank (or financial institution) in acknowledgement of services rendered in respect of electronic transfer and teller deposits.”

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/02/neca-attacks-cbn-over-n50-stamp-duty.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

2 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by seunlayi(m): 3:33am On Feb 01, 2017
They won't listen

3 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by Nobody: 7:05am On Feb 01, 2017
And the drama continues.. Nigeria season 5

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by martyns303(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2017
No accountability

1 Like

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by Teadavid23(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2017
Toor mogbo o.
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by TANKDESTROYER(m): 7:06am On Feb 01, 2017
Dem go hear.... undecided
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by nairaman66(m): 7:07am On Feb 01, 2017
Lol
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by mesoprogress(m): 7:07am On Feb 01, 2017
Scam government

3 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by akandry: 7:08am On Feb 01, 2017
Happy new month nairaladers !!!!!!
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by NextGovernor(m): 7:09am On Feb 01, 2017
Me jejely know say this government non go get head and na failure.

My neighbour who was once living well, eating 3 square meal and pays house rent upfront during GEJ tenure can't even eat 2 square meal again, owing 1 year rent now. Do you know why I laugh at him? Becos he was among the top financial of this change in my neighbourhood. When Buhari won I have to take leave for 2 weeks because of the embarrassment I was facing from them. He told my other neighbour yesterday that he will be part of this 2face March.

Who is wiser now?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by virginboy1(m): 7:10am On Feb 01, 2017
We are in a new month and MMM is still yet to pay people. Are they still rehabilitating the site?
Click like if you think MMM is gone. Share if you think MMM still exists.

Happy New month.

3 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by abouzaid: 7:14am On Feb 01, 2017
so NECA don't know that buhari doesn't obey court orders? especially when he would make 2.5trillion naira per annum.i just love this buhari government, taxing both legally and illegally. sai baba till 2023,lalasticlala over to you.

4 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by AleAirHub(m): 7:15am On Feb 01, 2017
OK
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by ZUBY77(m): 7:17am On Feb 01, 2017
The criminals at Diamond Bank has been attacking my account since some hours ago.
Monthly desc whatever,
Value added tax.

To the tune of 11k plus... For exactly what, I don't get it.

3 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by sabbath316(m): 7:17am On Feb 01, 2017
please advice, diamond bank just removed #650 in bits from my account claiming to be stamp duty charge...am using savings account, is this appropriate? What step can i take

3 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by holluwai(m): 7:18am On Feb 01, 2017
Useless CBN, policies they draft and implement overnight.

Freaking thieves!

1 Like

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by exlink10(m): 7:23am On Feb 01, 2017
sai baba
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by abouzaid: 7:24am On Feb 01, 2017
the finance minister could not account for the 2.2trillion naira loan that they took and now they are deducting peoples money, thieves.

1 Like

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by pat077: 7:28am On Feb 01, 2017
We are in the Era of lawlessness, so I don't expect them to comply.
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by ITbomb(m): 7:34am On Feb 01, 2017
Nigeria Jaga Jaga everything scatter scatter.....
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by emperorAY(m): 7:44am On Feb 01, 2017
Nigerian govt and systematically stealing from nigerians since 1914

1 Like 1 Share

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by vicmela(m): 8:01am On Feb 01, 2017
does it mean that this govt can never obey Court orders, hmmmmmm nawa
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by Nobody: 8:01am On Feb 01, 2017
NextGovernor:
Me jejely know say this government non go get head and na failure.

My neighbour who was once living well, eating 3 square meal and pays house rent upfront during GEJ tenure can't even eat 2 square meal again, owing 1 year rent now. Do you know why I laugh at him? Becos he was among the top financial of this change in my neighbourhood. When Buhari won I have to take leave for 2 weeks because of the embarrassment I was facing from them. He told my other neighbour yesterday that he will be part of this 2face March.

Who is wiser now?

You're because you had a forth sight of what would happen

1 Like

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by Nobody: 8:03am On Feb 01, 2017
abouzaid:
so NECA don't know that buhari doesn't obey court orders? especially when he would make 2.5trillion naira per annum.i just love this buhari government, taxing both legally and illegally. sai baba till 2023,lalasticlala over to you.
That's the main reason most of us didn't vote him because a leopard would remain a leopard.

2 Likes

Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by hapholaby: 9:49am On Feb 01, 2017
The real scam is when you see #250 stamps after paying #64000 for opening a limited liability company with 10 million share capital
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by jideflash(m): 10:08am On Feb 01, 2017
Too bad
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by barackodam: 12:54pm On Feb 01, 2017
sabbath316:
please advice, diamond bank just removed #650 in bits from my account claiming to be stamp duty charge...am using savings account, is this appropriate? What step can i take

Nothing, it's not Diamond Bank that charges stamp duty, it's CBN that charges stamp duty.

If you're charged for that, just cry your cry grin grin grin grin
Re: NECA Attacks CBN Over N50 Stamp Duty by odysey: 10:10am On Feb 02, 2017
Yarnvibes:

Nigeria Employers Consultative Association, NECA, umbrella body for employers in the country, yesterday, berated Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, over its failure to comply with the Court of Appeal’s ruling directing all Deposit Money Banks, DMB, to discontinue the illegal charging of N50 per transaction in lieu of Stamp Duties.

It will be recalled that the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos on April 21, 2016, ruled against the imposition of stamp duties on bank lodgements with value of N1,000 and above.

The Federal Government had planned to raise about N2.5 trillion per annum from the duty.

Ruling on an appeal filed by Standard Chartered Bank against Kasmal International Services Limited and 22 others, Justice Ibrahim Saulawa and four other Justices of the Court of Appeal sitting in Lagos, held that the Stamp Duties Act, 2004 did not impose a duty on Deposit Money Banks to deduct N50 on deposits.

The CBN had, in a circular issued to the DMBs, directed them to deduct N50 for stamp duties on every deposit into a current account of N1,000 and above from January 1, 2016.

The circular, which has since been implemented by the banks, came despite the pendency of issue in the court.

Furthermore, even after the Court of Appeal order to DMBs to discontinue the stamp duty charge, the banks have continued debiting customers’ accounts on stamp duty.

NECA and the Organised Private Sector, OPS, had opposed attempts by the Nigeria Postal Service, NIPOST, to compel companies to affix a N50 postal stamp on all receipts, invoices and documents evidencing transaction of N1, 000 and above.

NECA, in a statement in Lagos by its Director General, Mr. Segun Oshinowo, said that “There had been a landmark ruling in the case at the Court of Appeal on this subject matter between Kasmal International Services Limited and Access Bank and 23 others, which declared the deductions illegal.

“NECA has expressed grave concern over the failure of the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, to reverse its earlier directives to all DMBs to halt the charging of N50 per eligible transaction in accordance with the assumed provisions of the Stamp Duties Act and Federal Government Financial Regulations (2009). The CBN is hereby, advised to do the needful without delay by directing cessation of further deductions and commence the refund of all accrued deductions in the past to their customers.

“NECA urges the Buhari administration to restrain its operatives from pursuing policies that will increase the burden on the citizenry both corporate and individuals. Stamp Duty’s applicability is limited to purchases involving large sums like a house purchase or importation of goods as against the position of applying N50 postage stamp to all receipts given by any bank (or financial institution) in acknowledgement of services rendered in respect of electronic transfer and teller deposits.”

http://www.kikiotolu.com/2017/02/neca-attacks-cbn-over-n50-stamp-duty.html

Lalasticlala Mynd44 seun Dominique

THE PROBLEM OF INCREASE IN THE PRICE OF commodities is due to the CORRUPTION in CBN I'm GLAD TO SAY their time is up

(1) (Reply)

Cashapp Account With Routing Number 073 Needed / High Quality Melamine Faced MDF Directly From Turkey / Nigeria: External Reserves Fall By $177m In 2 Weeks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.