Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,637 members, 7,801,841 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:33 AM

Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools (1680 Views)

The Biggest Contradiction In Christian Nigeria / Superficial Errors And Contradiction In The Bible New Testament / Seeming Contradiction In The Bible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 11:45pm On Dec 02, 2009
(26:4) Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him.

(26:5) Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes.

My christian brothers and sisters, help me please.

Abuzola, Don't start nonsense embarassed
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by 1forall: 12:18am On Dec 03, 2009
Nice one!

I've had some trouble trying to understand this for a while now but methinks its just a unique passage made easy to notice, which u wont expect to find in the bible that easy (one after the other). Like many of the proverbs, it carries a message applicable in daily life.
My deduction from it simply is . . .

be flexible in your approach to things

cos really; in the written context, you dont want to spend too much time with certain peeps, but there's certain situations where u need to put them in their places. . . spend the time if need be.

so its up to you to decipher when to act how.

Feel better now?

Or has anyone got a different understanding?
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by seeklove: 6:48am On Dec 03, 2009
SeanT21:

(26:4) Do not answer a fool according to his folly, Or you will also be like him.

(26:5) Answer a fool as his folly deserves, That he not be wise in his own eyes.

@poster,

There is no contradiction between the two verses. One says:"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, " The other says:"Answer a fool as his folly deserves, "

To answer a fool as his folly deserves does not mean to answer a him/her according to his folly.

To answer one according to his folly is to reply to a fool in a foolish way. It means to condescend to his level, to become a fool too.

To answer a fool as he deserves could mean to explain his folly to him, to warn him or to chastise him for his folly.

I will give an example:
To answer a thief(a criminal) according to his crime, could mean to steal from him. To commit theft. To do the same thing that the criminal did.

To answer a thief as he deserves could mean to punish him for his crimes, ie put in him in jail. In a nut-shell give him the treatment he deserves. 

Put togerther, the verse simply says: Dont become a fool or do foolish things in answering a fool, but give him what he deserves. 

I will give another example
If a sombody insults you while conversing with him, dont insult him back. Insulting him back is like answer him according to his folly.
But you can answer him by telling him to stick to the subject of the matter and refrain from insulting you. To make him see that what he did(insulting you) was wrong.

See you have answered him as his folly deserves but not acording to his folly.

I apologize for attacking you in the past, since I found you in here in the religion forum. In this forum we store no malice.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by toluxa1(m): 7:47am On Dec 03, 2009
seeklove:

@poster,

There is no contradiction between the two verses. One says:"Do not answer a fool according to his folly, " The other says:"Answer a fool as his folly deserves, "

To answer a fool as his folly deserves does not mean to answer a him/her according to his folly.

To answer one according to his folly is to reply to a fool in a foolish way. It means to condescend to his level, to become a fool too.

To answer a fool as he deserves could mean to explain his folly to him, to warn him or to chastise him for his folly.

I will give an example:
To answer a thief(a criminal) according to his crime, could mean to steal from him. To commit theft. To do the same thing that the criminal did.

To answer a thief as he deserves could mean to punish him for his crimes, ie put in him in jail. In a nut-shell give him the treatment he deserves.

Put togerther, the verse simply says: Dont become a fool or do foolish things in answering a fool, but give him what he deserves.

If a sombody insults you while conversing with him, dont insult him back. Insulting him back is like answer him according to his folly.
But you can answer him by telling him to stick to the subject of the matter and refrain from insulting you. To make him see that what he did(insulting you) was wrong.

I apologize for attacking you in the past, since I found you in here in the religion forum. In this forum we store no malice.

This is the EXACT literal solution to what seems like a contradiction in those verses. There could be a different spiritual mean though (haven't worked on that yet), because the bible is a spiritual book of parables. For example , a Fool many times has to do with the unsaved.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 9:03am On Dec 03, 2009
Thanks everyone for your contributions. Understood. cheesy
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by toluxa1(m): 2:46pm On Dec 03, 2009
You're welcome bro.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 4:08pm On Dec 03, 2009
toluxa1:

You're welcome bro.

I am a female. kiss
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by Kay17: 5:40pm On Dec 03, 2009
seeklove:

@poster,

I will give an example:

just twisted everything to his convenience. its a simple contradiction, answer is the key word and "as folly deserves" describes the extent of folly as much as "according to folly"
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 03, 2009
Kay 17:

just twisted everything to his convenience. its a simple contradiction, answer is the key word and "as folly deserves" describes the extent of folly as much as "according to folly"

What a bleeding shame. I guess seeing imaginary "contradictions" is the only way to convince yourself you're making the right decision in hating the gospel.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by noetic15(m): 6:09pm On Dec 03, 2009
SeanT21:

I am a female. kiss

u are welcome babe grin
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mavenbox: 10:53pm On Dec 03, 2009
@SeanT21: Seeklove put a good lid on it! I couldn't have said it better!!!

@Seeklove: Kudos
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by 1forall: 11:40pm On Dec 03, 2009
Kay 17:

Kay 17 its couldnt be simpler, answer sure is the keyword from the KJV

posters please read up the bible verses Prov 26. 4, 5 (or maybe the whole chapter) and lets have your take even if it's just once more
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by Abuzola11(m): 1:30am On Dec 04, 2009
SeanT, Don't be deceived, seeklove twisted the whole scenario. Ask urself that is it the bible that said so or the word of seekkove, the key word is don't answer a fool and later retracted its claim, its a clear contradiction
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mavenbox: 2:09pm On Dec 11, 2009
Abuzola: Dead or Alive? grin We haven't seen your posts from your various user IDs, or has the Admin blocked your IP address?
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 2:11pm On Dec 11, 2009
Abuzola 1:

SeanT, Don't be deceived, seeklove twisted the whole scenario. Ask urself that is it the bible that said so or the word of seekkove, the key word is don't answer a fool and later retracted its claim, its a clear contradiction

It took U so long to respond
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mavenbox: 2:26pm On Dec 11, 2009
How are you doing SeanT21? I'm wishing you the very best of the year 2010, make the best of it! wink
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 2:32pm On Dec 11, 2009
Thanks girl. I hope U get shower with blessing this new year. God bless U. cheesy
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by AKO1(m): 2:53pm On Dec 11, 2009
Seeklove, brilliant submission.

It shows how much we can learn from the bible if we just sit down and think.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:56pm On Dec 11, 2009
SeanT21:

1forall seems to nail it on the head.

The crux of the matter is that you cannot reason with a fool otherwise you will have to reason with him on his own level which would make you appear to be a fool like him.  If you do not answer according to his folly he will think he is as wise as you are and if you do answer according to his own folly, he thinks you are a fool as he is, so your reasoning is defeated.  The only solution is in verse 3.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 3:36pm On Dec 11, 2009
What did verse 3 say
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by AKO1(m): 3:39pm On Dec 11, 2009
Pro 26:3 A whip for the horse,a bridle for the ass, and a rod for the fool's back

Olaadegbu, I find this conclusion. . interesting.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 3:40pm On Dec 11, 2009
Thanks. cheesy
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by ruskiee(m): 3:50pm On Dec 11, 2009
Understood.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:50pm On Dec 11, 2009
A_K_O:

Pro 26:3 A whip for the horse,a bridle for the backside, and a rod for the fool's back

Olaadegbu, I find this conclusion. . interesting.

That is very true. A rod on the back of fools is as suitable as a whip for a horse or a bridle for an ass. The first 12 verses has some interesting things to say about fools.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mavenbox: 3:51pm On Dec 11, 2009
@SeanT21: U r welcome, sis!

I love these two versions of the Bible: AMPLIFIED breaks down the original Hebrew text and the Message tells the proverbs in today's language

AMPLIFIED
Pro 26:3  A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a [straight, slender] rod for the backs of [self-confident] fools.
Pro 26:3  A whip for the racehorse, a tiller for the sailboat-- and a stick for the back of fools!

As seen from the Amplified, you need to answer the fool to his self-confident folly
As seen from the Message, the stick that you whip the fool with will ensure that he sticks to the plan (the race), and that he does not steer off-course (tiller, a lever used to turn a boat's rudder, it's steering mechanism)

So, if the horse feels it is the strongest on the racetrack, don't argue with it, it's for your benefit. After all, you, the racedriver, are not like it. If you argue that it is not as strong, then maybe you want to be like it (compare with it).

But when it starts feeling that it can run and it can stop whenever it wants on the racetrack because it is an 'almighty', then it needs a whip.

Compare with answering fools according to their folly.  cheesy cheesy LOL
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mavenbox: 3:59pm On Dec 11, 2009
The whole Proverbs 26 in THE MESSAGE version, a treatise on fools. LOL.

Pro 26:1  We no more give honors to fools than pray for snow in summer or rain during harvest.

Pro 26:2  You have as little to fear from an undeserved curse as from the dart of a wren or the swoop of a swallow.

Pro 26:3  A whip for the racehorse, a tiller for the sailboat-- and a stick for the back of fools!

Pro 26:4  Don't respond to the stupidity of a fool; you'll only look foolish yourself.

Pro 26:5  Answer a fool in simple terms so he doesn't get a swelled head.

Pro 26:6  You're only asking for trouble when you send a message by a fool.

Pro 26:7  A proverb quoted by fools is limp as a wet noodle.

Pro 26:8  Putting a fool in a place of honor is like setting a mud brick on a marble column.

Pro 26:9  To ask a slowpoke to quote a proverb is like putting a scalpel in the hands of a drunk.

Pro 26:10  Hire a fool or a drunk and you shoot yourself in the foot.

Pro 26:11  As a dog eats its own vomit, so fools recycle silliness.

Pro 26:12  See that man who thinks he's so smart? You can expect far more from a fool than from him.

Pro 26:13  Loafers say, "It's dangerous out there! Tigers are prowling the streets!" and then pull the covers back over their heads.

Pro 26:14  Just as a door turns on its hinges, so a lazybones turns back over in bed.

Pro 26:15  A shiftless sluggard puts his fork in the pie, but is too lazy to lift it to his mouth.

Pro 26:16  Dreamers fantasize their self-importance; they think they are smarter than a whole college faculty.

Pro 26:17  You grab a mad dog by the ears when you butt into a quarrel that's none of your business.

Pro 26:18  People who shrug off deliberate deceptions, saying, "I didn't mean it, I was only joking,"

Pro 26:19  Are worse than careless campers who walk away from smoldering campfires.

Pro 26:20  When you run out of wood, the fire goes out; when the gossip ends, the quarrel dies down.

Pro 26:21  A quarrelsome person in a dispute is like kerosene thrown on a fire.

Pro 26:22  Listening to gossip is like eating cheap candy; do you want junk like that in your belly?

Pro 26:23  Smooth talk from an evil heart is like glaze on cracked pottery.

Pro 26:24  Your enemy shakes hands and greets you like an old friend, all the while conniving against you.

Pro 26:25  When he speaks warmly to you, don't believe him for a minute; he's just waiting for the chance to rip you off.

Pro 26:26  No matter how cunningly he conceals his malice, eventually his evil will be exposed in public.

Pro 26:27  Malice backfires; spite boomerangs.

Pro 26:28  Liars hate their victims; flatterers sabotage trust.

And here I am advertising e-Sword, my daily companion. It's free software and it is illegal to sell copies! So many Bible translations, Strongs Concordance, dictionaries in Hebrew and Greek, etc. Get eSword today! cheesy
http://www.e-sword.net
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by ud4u: 4:28pm On Dec 11, 2009
@ Poster,

I wanted to come up with the intepretation but after going through the replies I saw that seeklove and others have explained that for you and Iam happy you are pleased.

Cheers.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by rosiggy(m): 7:55am On Dec 14, 2009
Do u all know dat the bible also says dat a fool is one who says there is no God?
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by SeanT21(f): 8:28am On Dec 14, 2009
rosiggy:

Do u all know dat the bible also says dat a fool is one who says there is no God?

Yes, we know that very much.
Re: Contradiction In Proverbs? Answering Fools by mamagee3(f): 7:02pm On Dec 15, 2009
rosiggy:

Exactly my brother, we know that. tongue

(1) (Reply)

Testimony Of Ibrahim Al Qahtani On Facebook / Prophet Muhammad's Letter About How Muslims Should Treat Christians / Pastor Chris Oyakhilome Was Honoured Doctor Of Divinity At BIU

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.