Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,264 members, 7,780,595 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:11 PM

Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment - Health (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment (36186 Views)

Sleep Paralysis: Is It Natural Or Spiritual? / Share Your Sleep Paralysis Experience Here. / Ovarian Cyst And Pregnancy: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Effect In Pregnant Wom (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 8:39am On Feb 04, 2017
nanizle:

You forgot to include the mandatory 10%taxtithe.

Demon kor, Spaghetti monster ni.

If scientists retained your kind of retarded reasoning, common paracetamol would not have been developed because.. guess? Headaches are caused by demons punching your brain and prayer is the only solution.

So please let go of your ridiculous beliefs.

Sleep paralysis is not caused by demonic possession although It may feel like it because of your religious beliefs.
You think this world is just as plain and simple as science paints it -- it's deeper than that.

There are a few ways people get access to knowledge and explain natural phenomena -- science is just one of these ways. Other means also exist, one of which is spirituality.

You don't really have to believe in supernatural accounts to validate their candour. That one does not believe in the existence of spirits has no modicum of effect on their form of reality.

Isn't the notion risible that only humans inhabit the universe as unimaginably big as it's?
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Divay22(f): 8:43am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
your mind is playing tricks, bringing memories of your daily life into your subconscious, the woman you see is innocent of what you are thinking about her, its just classical human paranoia, it has nothing to do with the supernatural
Your opinion cool
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 8:44am On Feb 04, 2017
nams77:

Your dad was probably right. Don't overlook this things. Most times there are spiritual undertones. Trust me

Don't get me wrong, I am as spiritual as they come. I say my prayers and I love my God. But, come on...if some spiritual entity was really out to get you, would it come to your room only to scare you for a couple of minutes and just go away? It comes to kill, steal and destroy not play pranks like 3 minutes of paralysis.

4 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by nanizle(m): 8:44am On Feb 04, 2017
ikorodureporta:

i'm not sayn it occurs only @ nyte. Witchcraft involves secrecy & no witch wants you to easily guess who the attacker is. When they attack you in d afternoon, you can easily go out & survey any person around....but @ nyte, they know u'l be asleep, and d probability of u guessing who attacked u becomes lower, why? -because more people are around...

If only you could apply your intelligence to actual science.. who knows? maybe you will be the person to discover a cure for cancer.

But unfortunately you are arguing Witchcraft and spiritual attack undecided

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 8:46am On Feb 04, 2017
lekbel09:
my people perish because of ignorance av u forgotten that the spiritual control the physical, wetdreams incessantly na konji? No bro that is spirit wife serious one, aldo some might be konji buh having such dreams incesantly is spiritual pls take note
Guy u r the one perishing here, every young male have had wet dream at some point in time, so u saying all male in the world have spirit wife? As a young man that is not sexually active, at some point he will def have wet dream. There's nothing spiritual there.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Divay22(f): 8:52am On Feb 04, 2017
YOUNGSTUNNA:
I experienced it a lot (only nights I slept late)... it's an horrible experiences... I see real demons with my naked eyes and I can't just do nothing about it...

I made my research 5 years ago and I came across this sleep paralysis thingy...

believe you me,,, this thing is both NATURAL AND SPIRITUAL no doubt about that...

the experience is freaking terrifying...
all the loud hurling sound, the dummmm sounds... the visions*seein demons starin at you and tryin to suck life outta you, but you can't just move an inch* you try to scream for help but damn you just can't...your own very room feel with horrible creatures just like in the movies... your wall is dangling, you hear voices laughing and screaming.....sometimes you see them trying to take your own very soul outta of your body.. but you're fighting hard in your mind..chanting words of prayers and callin on JESUS... AND when you finally woke up.. your own body feels like you've been hit by a thousand trailers... you find yourself gasping for air and breathing like a dog about to be suffocated or like a dog suffering from the heat of summer

it's really, really terrible and horrible
sorry o.... Who no go no know

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 8:59am On Feb 04, 2017
Divay22:
It happened to me countless times last year,when we newly relocated to the place we are now..... shocked shocked shocked shocked

Though mine started with a terrible nightmare....
They said i was forming strong abi,that i think i can pray I'll see... grin grin grin
From that day mine started

Sometimes i unconsciously see my mum and bro talking and laughing but i won't be able to call them, it's like I'm gonna die from there,what i always say in my mind was *God so I'll die like this,in my sleep,though my body and mind is active,but I won't be able to get up,but if only i can shake my body that only when i will get up......

Those i keep suspecting one mama in my corner,each time i pass her,she'll just be looking at me......... grin grin grin grin
But the Bible says "Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no arm"
Sometimes when i pass her I'll just say "He that touches me,touches God"......

Going to 5 months now,nothing of such has happened again.....

Though within me I knew our Spirit were not in line,there is something about her i just don't like......but i don't know...........

Thanks OP,but mine wasn't ordinary...
If ur mother wanted to kill u, she wound have done that ever since, u r just over reacting. Imagine ur mom that brought u into this world and took care of u till u r grown up, now u saying she want to kill u. If she wanted to she would have succeeded ever since. Am sure u trust ur pastor than ur mom. People like u r just unbelievable. Spit.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by ikorodureporta: 9:07am On Feb 04, 2017
nanizle:

If only you could apply your intelligence to actual science.. who knows? maybe you will be the person to discover a cure for cancer.

But unfortunately you are arguing Witchcraft and spiritual attack undecided

we'r only informing ourselvs.....do u think scientists dnt consider religion & spirituality??
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Divay22(f): 9:12am On Feb 04, 2017
charliboy654:

If ur mother wanted to kill u, she wound have done that ever since, u r just over reacting. Imagine ur mom that brought u into this world and took care of u till u r grown up, now u saying she want to kill u. If she wanted to she would have succeeded ever since. Am sure u trust ur pastor than ur mom. People like u r just unbelievable. Spit.
Broda take your time and read,i see my mum and bro but I won't be able to call for help....Read and understand.....na so una take they fail questions so....(no offence)
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by cupidhero(m): 9:14am On Feb 04, 2017
Twisting your left big toe or hallux is the fastest way to snap out of it. This usually works for me.

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Bnimz(m): 9:27am On Feb 04, 2017
Austin234:
Are u occultic?No offense
None Taken... To answer your question, I'm not a practitioner.. But I do a lot of research on mysticism
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by DavidEsq(m): 9:28am On Feb 04, 2017
nanizle:

So the best you can do, given your level of education, is to conclude that Ekaetie is a 'witch'??

You are probably the kind of person that would leave a child out to die on the street for being declared a witch by a pastor. Luckily not all Nigerians are this retarded. Although it had to take a Danish woman to rescue that kid.

Please read more science books and less of fiction.
Now, that's the funny part: I wld never do dat; leave a child out like dat. Nada. Jesus christ preached the message of love a I believe showing love to all is the greatest cure to all ills. Dat doesn't mean I walk around blind like u(not u, as in u o, but u sha grin). No, I just believe stuff exists an d b trick on u is to believe dey don't. Abandon pikin? Haba. But I can't stand stubborn children. Na so so wrestling we go dey do, until dem change cheesy. Not APC kind of change o
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:29am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss

Thanks for this superb post. I am guilty of sleeping late. I guess it is the cause of it. You really helped.

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by ikorodureporta: 9:31am On Feb 04, 2017
mhisbliss:
your mind is playing tricks, bringing memories of your daily life into your subconscious, the woman you see is innocent of what you are thinking about her, its just classical human paranoia, it has nothing to do with the supernatural

...this reminds me of tht classic rap song 'my mind's playn tricks on me''
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by nams77: 9:32am On Feb 04, 2017
Azil:

Don't get me wrong, I am as spiritual as they come. I say my prayers and I love my God. But, come on...if some spiritual entity was really out to get you, would it come to your room only to scare you for a couple of minutes and just go away? It comes to kill, steal and destroy not play pranks like 3 minutes of paralysis.
My dear, I am am wary to discuss such with some people because they are blinded by unbelief. They term people like us ignorant, unschooled and deeply fetish. But as a scientist who believes in empirical facts tested by stringent and rigorous analysis, I have come to believe that there is another side to this life we live. We may not be able to prove this by scientific test, but not knowing about something does not mean it doesn't exist.
Now to your point. They don't come to play with people. They come to deposit hardship, ill luck, missed opportunities, sickness and terrible syndromes like promiscuity, stubbornness, spirit of stealing e.t.c. making someone paralyzed and unable to move makes for a smooth operation. Someone once asked, why don't we see them? Well if they allow you to see them, then you will be on your guard against them and up your defense. I am not forcing anyone to believe, but we will all find out someday
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by mhisbliss(f): 9:35am On Feb 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:
mhisbliss

Thanks for this superb post. I am guilty of sleeping late. I guess it I the cause of it. You really helped.
you're welcome smiley

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by ikorodureporta: 9:41am On Feb 04, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Thanks for this superb post. I am guilty of sleeping late. I guess it I the cause of it. You really helped.

dnt think sleeping late is d cause, when u'r under an attack. I'v had to leave d bedroom, to d parlour, & ended up on d chair jst because of it. It is when u sleep late & tired u dnt even observ early u'r being attacked....but when u'r very relaxed, yr spiritual detection-mode's very active

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Unclerukus: 9:57am On Feb 04, 2017
It's definitely spiritual. When I was serving I shared a lodge with two other female Corp members. Mind you, I am very spiritual conscious either through dream or discernment but I am not a hopeless fanatic.
As soon as I started staying there, I experienced the most terrifying and longest sleep paralysis encounters, hearing and seeing various unexplained things. Some nights I encountered it a shocking 5-4 times a night, I was scared to go to sleep at night. The funny thing was if I switched apartments, I wouldn't experience anything as such.
Like I said, I have a special gift when it comes to dreaming. One night in my dream, I heard a voice tell me that one of the girls I shared the apartment with is possessed and does astral projections to just torment me spiritually. Funny thing was I had a firebrand Christian friend at NCCF, one day he walked up to me and told me same thing, I was shocked, it was ministered to him when praying, he advised me to park out but also told me it happened because I was spiritually weak. He said they dare not try it with someone who is fervent, I was engaged in various sins, hence my dark soul.
I parked out and till I finished serving, I didn't experience even just a second's encounter. From what I noticed, personally and from people experinces, sleep paralysis is done by mostly people, witches and wizard and to some extent a bigger problem, principalities. There's no scientific explanation for a phenomenon that only happens when you sleep face up. Or a dejavu. Most scientists are Satanists or atheist(Steven hawkings), so will come up with anything to support their beliefs. There's always an alternating part. Back and front, black and white, liquid and solid, good and evil, physical and spiritual, light and darkness. please OP , don't let people loose guard over what might be a spiritual attack.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 10:02am On Feb 04, 2017
Na lie. Na village pipu visit be that.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 10:05am On Feb 04, 2017
There was a time I use to experience this alot.
religious me use to think the witches are pressing me.

funny thing is it only happens when I sleep in the afternoon.

I read about it some years ago, now I know better.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by eldoradoxx: 10:31am On Feb 04, 2017
Omoluabi16:
my dear, forget this your grammar. It is purely spiritual....I experience this thing occasionally.I did just last week, twice in quick succession. I could hear everything going on but couldn't move,I was just praying within me. By the time I came out of it,I was too scared to go back to sleep. This is a purr metaphysical event.
There is nothing metaphysical about it. What happened to you was that your mind woke up earlier than your body and thus your body was still tied down in the sleep mode which meant that you couldn't move, scream or do anything. Body and mind have to work in sync to achieve physical movement, one was present and the other was not. That's sleep paralysis.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by mach7(m): 10:31am On Feb 04, 2017
Unclerukus:
It's definitely spiritual. When I was serving I shared a lodge with two other female Corp members. Mind you, I am very spiritual conscious either through dream or discernment but I am not a hopeless fanatic.
As soon as I started staying there, I experienced the most terrifying and longest sleep paralysis encounters, hearing and seeing various unexplained things. Some nights I encountered it a shocking 5-4 times a night, I was scared to go to sleep at night. The funny thing was if I switched apartments, I wouldn't experience anything as such.
Like I said, I have a special gift when it comes to dreaming. One night in my dream, I heard a voice tell me that one of the girls I shared the apartment with is possessed and does astral projections to just torment me spiritually. Funny thing was I had a firebrand Christian friend at NCCF, one day he walked up to me and told me same thing, I was shocked, it was ministered to him when praying, he advised me to park out but also told me it happened because I was spiritually weak. He said they dare not try it with someone who is fervent, I was engaged in various sins, hence my dark soul.
I parked out and till I finished serving, I didn't experience even just a second's encounter. From what I noticed, personally and from people experinces, sleep paralysis is done by mostly people, witches and wizard and to some extent a bigger problem, principalities. There's no scientific explanation for a phenomenon that only happens when you sleep face up. Or a dejavu. Most scientists are Satanists or atheist(Steven hawkings), so will come up with anything to support their beliefs. There's always an alternating part. Back and front, black and white, liquid and solid, good and evil, physical and spiritual, light and darkness. please OP , don't let people loose guard over what might be a spiritual attack.
May God bless you. I have gone through all the comments here and I think everyone has right to his or her personal opinion. The spirit world exists and we should all be aware of it. I personally have experienced this issue several times as a little kid and occasionally while growing up and I can state categorically that they were spiritual attacks. To those who are Christians on this thread and believe in Jesus, never stop to pray. To those who are scientists; keep on trusting in your scientific explanations. However, I pray that you do not experience what will shake your conviction when it is too late. Peace to all!

2 Likes

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by cybriz82(m): 10:52am On Feb 04, 2017
MARKone:
It is a common occurance. But basically to reduce it, avoid sleeping on your back.

weda back...side...front..e go still happen...my own solution na bible near head..
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Eberex(m): 10:53am On Feb 04, 2017
none of the points are valid. the last one I had was in 2006 during Nysc. nothing like the above mentioned reasons. meanwhile now that I am working and sleeping less, in short all the points mentioned on the post are what I do, yet I haven't had any since.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Zane2point4(m): 11:00am On Feb 04, 2017
Divay22:
It happened to me countless times last year,when we newly relocated to the place we are now..... shocked shocked shocked shocked

Though mine started with a terrible nightmare....
They said i was forming strong abi,that i think i can pray I'll see... grin grin grin
From that day mine started

Sometimes i unconsciously see my mum and bro talking and laughing but i won't be able to call them, it's like I'm gonna die from there,what i always say in my mind was *God so I'll die like this,in my sleep,though my body and mind is active,but I won't be able to get up,but if only i can shake my body that only when i will get up......

Those i keep suspecting one mama in my corner,each time i pass her,she'll just be looking at me......... grin grin grin grin
But the Bible says "Touch not my anointed and do my prophet no arm"
Sometimes when i pass her I'll just say "He that touches me,touches God"......

Going to 5 months now,nothing of such has happened again.....

Though within me I knew our Spirit were not in line,there is something about her i just don't like......but i don't know...........

Thanks OP,but mine wasn't ordinary...

Thats same with me too, infact it normally run in the family, some ppl claim not to have witnessed it,
Whenever it happens to me i simply can hear ppl talking arnd me even laughing but i cant wake up, at some instances i will be wishing the just come and touch me so i could wake
But i hv gotten used to it, i simply fall back to sleep, or i try simulating my toes to make me wake
It normlly happens when i sleep very late then am too tired to wake up hence the paralysis, or when i sleep facing up.
There is nothing spiritual about it, i fully acknowledge am on sleep paralysis though it may seem as if i am dreaming, but i cant just move out of d bed unless someone touches me.
The worst i had was during my boarding school day, my friends were gisting beside me ,i can hear all the said and was even talking to them to please come and wake me, but they werent hearing me i was simply talking to my mind, but immediately the school bell rung out loudly that disturbed me enough to wake me.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Xzbit91: 11:08am On Feb 04, 2017
charliboy654:

Guy u r the one perishing here, every young male have had wet dream at some point in time, so u saying all male in the world have spirit wife? As a young man that is not sexually active, at some point he will def have wet dream. There's nothing spiritual there.

I never had wet dreams growing up angry

Believe the op at your own peril, there is no reason I should believe I've not been pinned down by some forces when I'm awake and acutely aware of my environment yet not able to move, not even to open my eyes. I feel hands applying pressure on my limbs, I hear discussion and sometimes mocking laughter. Can you explain why this phenomenon happens so frequently in some environment more than others. There must be a good for evil to exist, for the physical to exist there must be a spiritual and if you acknowledge the existence of God you invariably admit the existence of the devil

1 Like

Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Divay22(f): 11:31am On Feb 04, 2017
Zane2point4:

Thats same with me too, infact it normally run in the family, some ppl claim not to have witnessed it,
Whenever it happens to me i simply can hear ppl talking arnd me even laughing but i cant wake up, at some instances i will be wishing the just come and touch me so i could wake
But i hv gotten used to it, i simply fall back to sleep, or i try simulating my toes to make me wake
It normlly happens when i sleep very late then am too tired to wake up hence the paralysis, or when i sleep facing up.
There is nothing spiritual about it, i fully acknowledge am on sleep paralysis though it may seem as if i am dreaming, but i cant just move out of d bed unless someone touches me.
The worst i had was during my boarding school day, my friends were gisting beside me ,i can hear all the said and was even talking to them to please come and wake me, but they werent hearing me i was simply talking to my mind, but immediately the school bell rung out loudly that disturbed me enough to wake me.
okay o..... Lemme just take my own to be that grin grin
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by yhermmie(f): 11:33am On Feb 04, 2017
I do experience this once in a while, at least thrice in a year.. It happens when I sleep with d lights off though not all d time. The first time I actually experienced this was while I was still a kid in d afternoon, it was a weird experience, thought that's how people die....
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by Nobody: 11:57am On Feb 04, 2017
pressplay411:

It's good to know what works for you.
Have you actually tried, not praying?
Once you realise it's normal and do not panic, you ease out of it and wake up.
The fear of dying usually makes one panic that's when you remember all the names of Jehovah that are not even in the bible. But no, it's not a spiritual attack. Apparently no one has died from it @least that I know of.

Lol why I no go pray. Which all the witches and wizards in naija.
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by dovetark: 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2017
jatau7:
am telling u....God go help us all
Amin o
Re: Sleep Paralysis: Meaning, Causes, Symptoms And Treatment by gabe: 12:11pm On Feb 04, 2017
Sleep paralysis occurs when ur mind suddenly wakes up from REM sleep, but ur body is still paralysed. Ur body is paralysed to protect u from acting out your dreams n injuring urself when u sleep. Normally, ur mind wakes up gradually from REM sleep, so ur body wakes up gradually too. But when ur mind wakes up suddenly, ur body takes more take to wakeup and is temporarily paralysed. That interval is when village witches, incubus, succubus etc presses u on d bed, depending on ur fertile imagination:p

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Ebola Victims Now Stable, Five Showing Signs Of Recovery - Fashola / My Wife Addicted To Tramadol / Doctors Share Their Experiences With Nigerian Patients

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.