Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:42 AM

Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone (15163 Views)

Video Of Oluwo Of Iwo Rolling Weed Released By Chanel Chin, His Ex Wife / Oluwo Of Iwo, Akanbi, Becomes Emir, Drops Title / "My Wife, Chanel Chin Is The Most Beautiful Queen On Planet Earth"- Oluwo Of Iwo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Aminat508(f): 7:48am On Feb 04, 2017
The Oluwo of Iwoland, Oba Abdul-Rasheed Adewale Akanbi, Telu I, has concluded plans to engrave and sculpt figures of prominent black personalities that contributed to modern culture in and outside Africa on stone

The project will be similar to South Dakota’s Mount Rushmore accommodating engraved faces of four great past American presidents – George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.

Briefing journalists in Iwo about the project, Oba Akanbi said there was no better time than now to celebrate black African leaders across the world for their immense contributions which he said had laid a foundation for modern culture and serve as a catalyst for growth and recognition.

According to him, Mount Rushmore National Memorial park in the Black Hills of South Dakota, United States of America, which construction started in October 4, 1927, is a must-see vacation experience for everyone.

The Oluwo, disclosed that those to feature in the project are the likes of the late black American civil rights leader, Martin Luther King, Jnr; the anti-apartheid hero and first black South African President, Nelson Mandela; the first Ghanaian Prime Minister and President, Kwame Nkrumah; the first Prime Minister of Independent Nigeria, Tafawa Balewa; the leading figure of Nigerian modern nationalism and first President of independent Nigeria, Nnamdi Azikwe; the late sage and leading Nigerian nationalist, Obafemi Awolowo; the former Nigerian Army General and twice former Nigerian President, Olusegun Obasanjo; and former governor of Lagos State and Nigeria’s leading national political leader, Bola Ahmed Tinubu.

The first class traditional ruler, who noted that the project will be purposeful for its historical, social and economic values, maintained that “this will be the first time to use our key black figures to serve a multi-faceted agenda that will attract investment, jobs and opportunities at various levels for our people.”

He further said: “I can’t wait to see this project coming to fruition. Time has come for us to celebrate our black leaders of note in all parts of Africa and beyond for their immense contributions to the world development, peace and stability. I think many of them have been ignored for far too long and not given their due recognition. I want to create a space in a strategic Iwo mountainous forest to assemble and engrave faces of these great world leaders for tourists all over the world to come and listen to their stories to be told and re-told over and over again.

“It is important for our people, particularly the youths to know what these figures stood and stand for in times of misrule and oppression. For example, Mandela and King, Jnr stood tenaciously against oppressive tendencies. Nkruma and Azikwe were rallying point for nationalist struggle and Obafemi Awolowo and Bola Ahmed Tinubu remain trail blazers, managers of human resources, producers of world class leaders and promoters of good governance as well as models for service to humanity. Obasanjo set standard for courage and known for taking far reaching national decisions while in government and is always available as mechanism for resolving conflicts around the world. Balewa as Prime Minister of Nigeria played important roles in the Africa's formative indigenous rule.

He was an important leader in the formation of the Organization of African Unity and creating a cooperative relationship with French speaking African countries. So, we want to encourage our youths to learn and benefit from these key figures’ wisdom, skills and acumen.

“It will also surely be a memorable experience for whoever cares to venture to come to the place we are about creating for these noblest among the nobles. We are using the project to bring to the consciousness of the world that the black

Source : http://www.amiloaded.com/2017/02/oluwo-of-iwo-to-engrave-faces-of.html

3 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Aminat508(f): 7:48am On Feb 04, 2017

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by HQuadreal: 7:52am On Feb 04, 2017
FTC On Aminat508 Thread.

And On My Oba Matter.

See my oba
Kabiyesi oooo.

5 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Nobody: 7:58am On Feb 04, 2017
This is one of the beautiful things you get when you give a youth the leadership mantle.

Grand Pa Buhari can never think in this line

16 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Nogodye(m): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2017
I think the man is up to something.

5 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by egbusi1(m): 8:11am On Feb 04, 2017
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by omowolewa: 8:11am On Feb 04, 2017
Nice

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by ednut1(m): 8:12am On Feb 04, 2017
food for thought. if Mandela was made president in the 1960s, would SA have been any better than Botswana or Namibia today

9 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by tk4rd: 8:12am On Feb 04, 2017
If na me,, na gods of the land I go do.. Mandela na stranger him be naa.

2 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by EGCA: 8:12am On Feb 04, 2017
Dat investment for tourism. Nice one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by gbenga4sure(m): 8:12am On Feb 04, 2017
advantages of youth having the mantle of leadership. check the ooni too. wow if only a youth could be Nigeria president
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by habex005(m): 8:13am On Feb 04, 2017
Only the oluwo
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by adonbilivit: 8:14am On Feb 04, 2017
has he been cleared by the courts?
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Nobody: 8:14am On Feb 04, 2017
cool

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by seguno2: 8:15am On Feb 04, 2017
HQuadreal:
See my oba.

Has he settled the allegations of yahoo yahoo business?
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by AlphaStyles(m): 8:15am On Feb 04, 2017
Kia if you listen to ordinary love dedicated to Mandela you go cry I really missed that man. an inspiration to us young generation embarassed

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Ogurube: 8:15am On Feb 04, 2017
Good one, Kabiyesi! Way to boost local economy and gov revenue. Hopefully, a Museum of Africanism, a resort, and zip-lining will be added to boost tourism to the city.
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by dfrost: 8:16am On Feb 04, 2017
Good thinking, good product
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Lagbaja01(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2017
the engraved should be tinted black or brown.
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by equalgarden(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2017
Do we really have a great man in Nigeria than those who fought for independence
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by TWoods(m): 8:17am On Feb 04, 2017
When was Martin Luther King jr a Nigerian? Rather than give your people jobs and electricity, you're wasting it building a monument to Bola Tinubu... misplaced priorities.

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by seguno2: 8:18am On Feb 04, 2017
It looks like he wants to settle Tinubu for making Aregbesola bury his yahoo yahoo case.
A drug peddler helping a scammer.
Interesting.

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by passyhansome(m): 8:19am On Feb 04, 2017
So no Nigerian President?
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Wristler: 8:19am On Feb 04, 2017
Money for that project can fix Iwo- Osogbo road, a crucial bye way to Ibadan.

But then undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by freeborn76(m): 8:20am On Feb 04, 2017
Very thoughtful, I like the fact that the heroes cut across all ethnic divides and even across the boarder...good thinking

4 Likes

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Nobody: 8:20am On Feb 04, 2017
I was about to say legends never die, then I saw tinubu

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by BlackSeptember: 8:21am On Feb 04, 2017
grin

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Nobody: 8:21am On Feb 04, 2017
so we should cook yam?

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by ogorwyne(f): 8:21am On Feb 04, 2017
the man dey use bleaching cream
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by emeka2847: 8:21am On Feb 04, 2017
What about zik, ahmadu Bello, and balewa?
Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by Handsomecole(m): 8:22am On Feb 04, 2017
What of Buhari's face??
And Mr "Constituted Authority" ??

1 Like

Re: Oluwo Of Iwo To Engrave Faces Of Mandela, Nkrumah, Awolowo, Others On Stone by HQuadreal: 8:26am On Feb 04, 2017
seguno2:

Has he settled the allegations of yahoo yahoo business?
All those allegations are false they just want to tarnish his image.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

List Of Aare Ona Kakanfo In Yoruba Land / Agbowu Akinropo Sues Oluwo Akanbi, Demands N100 Million Damages / What Were Yorubas Called Before The 19th Century?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.