Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,419 members, 7,808,506 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:47 PM

When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? (25338 Views)

Can A Christian Be Truly POSSESSED By An Evil Spirit? What The Bible Truly Says / Should A Man Who Is A Born-Again Christian Be A Gynaecologist? / Why Are Christians Such Liars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by xaggar(m): 10:22am On Feb 05, 2017
The Bible’s Viewpoint.

When Is Self-Defence Justified?
A SUDDEN noise awakens you in the middle of the night. You hear footsteps. Someone has broken into your home. With your heart beating like a hammer in your chest, you fearfully wonder what you should do next.

This is a situation that anyone could face. Crime—even violent crime—is no longer limited to certain countries or big cities. In the resultant climate of fear, many people seek protection by purchasing weapons or learning martial arts. Some governments have enacted laws that give citizens the right to use deadly force to defend themselves. But what does the Bible say? Is a person ever justified in using force to defend himself or his family?

God Hates Violence

The Bible condemns violence and those who resort to it. The psalmist David said regarding Jehovah God: “Anyone loving violence His soul certainly hates.” (Psalm 11:5) God pronounced judgment against several ancient nations, including his own people, because of their violence and bloodshed. (Joel 3:19; Micah 6:12; Nahum 3:1) Even unintentional manslaughter resulting from carelessness was a serious crime under the Law given to Israel.—Deuteronomy 22:8.

The Bible exhorts individuals to avoid potential conflicts by pursuing peace every day. Violent struggles often begin with a heated exchange of words. The Bible observes: “Where there is no wood the fire goes out, and where there is no slanderer contention grows still.” (Proverbs 26:20) Calmness often defuses anger and deflects violent confrontation. The apostle Paul wrote: “If possible, as far as it depends upon you, be peaceable with all men.”—Romans 12:18.

When You Are Threatened

Pursuing peace does not guarantee that you will never face violent attack. Faithful worshippers of God throughout history have been victims of violent crime. (Genesis 4:8; Job 1:14, 15, 17) If a person is confronted by an armed robber, what should he do? Jesus instructed: “Do not resist him that is wicked.” (Matthew 5:39) He also said: “From him that takes away your outer garment, do not withhold even the undergarment.” (Luke 6:29) Jesus did not condone use of physical weapons to defend material possessions. If confronted by an armed robber, a wise person will not resist giving up his valuables. Surely, life is far more precious than belongings!

On the other hand, what if a person’s life is threatened by an assailant? A law that God gave to ancient Israel sheds light on this. If a thief was caught in the daytime and was killed, the assailant would be charged with murder. This was evidently because thievery did not carry the death penalty and the thief could have been identified and brought to justice. However, if an intruder was fatally struck at night, the householder could be exonerated because it would be difficult for him to see what the intruder was doing and to ascertain the intentions of the intruder. The householder could reasonably conclude that his family was under threat of harm and take defensive action.—Exodus 22:2, 3.

The Bible thus indicates that a person may defend himself or his family if physically assaulted. He may ward off blows, restrain the attacker, or even strike a blow to stun or incapacitate him. The intention would be to neutralize the aggression or stop the attack. This being the case, if the aggressor was seriously harmed or killed in such a situation, his death would be accidental and not deliberate.

The Best Protection

Clearly, there are circumstances under which reasonable self-defense is justified. People have a right to protect themselves and their loved ones from aggression and deadly harm. When escape is not possible, there is no Biblical injunction against reasonably defending ourselves. Still, the course of wisdom would be to do our best to avoid situations with a potential for violence.—Proverbs 16:32.

The Bible encourages us to “seek peace and pursue it” in all avenues of our life. (1 Peter 3:11) This is a practical formula that really contributes to peaceful living.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:22am On Feb 05, 2017
Lol......

The comments so far PROVE that Christians are a confused set of people, or rather contemptible hypocrites, extremely dishonest, proficient at cherry-picking from their contradictory religious text, and fond of Orwellian doublethink.....

One begins to wonder if they really believe as they claim.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:23am On Feb 05, 2017
zionmade:
The reason why atheists and Muslims always rush on sundays to raise stupid questions about Christianity is because an atheist just dnt have any peace of mind within himself knowing full well that thereis a hole in his heart only God can fill while the muslims know that what they practice is just useless but they cant leave it because of the death penalty awaiting them

The only sin in the bible is defined as "anything not done by faith and love" Jesus said dat all the laws are summarized in the commandment love thy neighbor as urself.
Love is wen a soldier picks up his gun to protect d lives of others.
Jesuz healed the son of a centurion(army general) and even said dat he has never seen a faith like his own in the whole Israel
Love is when a soldier knows dat even though death awaits him, he wont relent in ensuring that other lives are secured
Peter went to a centurion's house and the Holy Spirit came upon him and his family even before peter prayed.
Now who are u to condemn a general in army who God chooses to reside in his heart.
Please dnt ask me of where u can find these in the bible because i believe those that read the Bible as d Op claims will know exactly where to find it

How did the Nigerian / Biafra soldier show love during the civil war? Do you know how many innocent people that died? Is that love?
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Cusdamato(m): 10:23am On Feb 05, 2017
Fools who dont know grace will argue dis as a soldier i can kill the whole world if i like as a soldier under orders orwit no orders nd heaven is sure #once saved 4ever saved# so any antichrist here who doesnt understand grace here can go sit outside wit the rest of the remaining bleeps
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by zionmade(m): 10:24am On Feb 05, 2017
9jalyte:

Why I like this post is that it will make a fool of those Lazy, and weak Christians who always hide under one quote "vengeance is for me say the lord" to justify why they will not defend themselves ( Southern Kaduna and Northern Christians come to mind). If God allows Soldiers to kill for the sake of defending their country, what made them think God will be angry when the whole people (not just a selected called the army) should right to fight their battle themselves. Unfortunately, there is no argument about God and faith that Christians have ever won before, they will express their poor intellectual depth and find one verse to hide behind.
Hope u can now foolishly see my answer to the q question

1 Like

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:24am On Feb 05, 2017
joyeSeraph:
Lol......

The comments so far PROVE that Christians are a confused set of people, or rather contemptible hypocrites, extremely dishonest, proficient at cherry-picking from their contradictory religious text, and fond of Orwellian doublethink.....

False christians you mean ?
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by SlimCupid(m): 10:25am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:

So what if your commanding officer orders the soldier to kill? What about soldiers sent for "peace keeping" who kill during such operations?
Following orders is part of being in the military. Or are you christians just confused?
free Christians abeg. They're the most confused group of people on the planet. Just do what makes you happy bro.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by hopefulLandlord: 10:25am On Feb 05, 2017
tigonana:
kaabo!!!!
Oseee!!!!
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:26am On Feb 05, 2017
Cusdamato:
Fools who dont know grace will argue dis as a soldier i can kill the whole world if i like as a soldier under orders orwit no orders nd heaven is sure #once saved 4ever saved# so any antichrist here who doesnt understand grace here can go sit outside wit the rest of the remaining bleeps

So what if you commit/ practice sin after you are deemed to have been saved, you still think you are forever saved?
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2017
guy1234:

False christians you mean ?
I'm sorry, bro. There are NO true Christians.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Scalord: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:
The days of fighting physical battles is over, in fact if the bible is to be followed, it is even a sin to take vengeance in any form. The New testament makes it clear that gone are the days of an eye for an eye. It is the age of turning the left cheek when the right cheek is slapped. It is an age of fighting with spiritual weapons. It is an age of evangelism and not warfare.

There seems to be Absolutely NO REASON why a christian should be a soldier. Jesus would certainly from at any of his sheep throwing bombs at souls he created.

What are your thoughts on this?

Can a soldier indeed go to heaven if killed in warfare? Can a christian be a soldier?

IS THERE ANY TIME A CHRISTIAN IS PERMITTED TO KILL? CAN A CHRISTIAN KILL IN SELF DEFENSE?

A christian is permitted to kill if he receives divine revelation from God to kill.... The whole bible is gotten from revelation so you cannot rationalize it based on some logical analysis. Otherwise how can you rationalize the bringing down the wall of jericho and massacre of all Men, Women and children there... or Saul's destruction of the Amalakites..we would have called those genocide in modern times but these are reveleations from the Almighty.. And dont argue the OT, NT thing..remember that all scriptures were inspired by the same God!
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:28am On Feb 05, 2017
FrancisDiote:
As a christian what did your conscience tell you when as you kill as a soldier in a battle or self defence? Am sure your conscience will condemn you if you kill a helpless innocent man.

When you accept to go to war, it is no longer self defense. You have accepted to go kill any enemy that comes your way. That's much more premeditated
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:30am On Feb 05, 2017
When the Fulani herdsmen threaten your life.. grin

1 Like

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:30am On Feb 05, 2017
joyeSeraph:
I'm sorry, bro. There are NO true Christians.

That's a wrong generalization. There's a few that are actually genuine
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Idolys(m): 10:30am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:

That is old testament. Imagine sending a 12 year old to war. I am talking about CHRISTIANS, supposed followers of Christ. Have you not read Mathew 5? Jesus said in the old testament "an eye for an eye" but now you shld turn the other cheek.
Wld jesus ever permit you to kill?

I'm surprised all the Christians have yet understood the biblical concept of an eye for an eye. God cannot contradict Himself because He is not a man neither is He a son of man. The God of yesterday is still the God of today. And where were you when Jesus says " think not that I have come to abolish the law of the prophet..." cry
HardMirror:

That is old testament. Imagine sending a 12 year old to war. I am talking about CHRISTIANS, supposed followers of Christ. Have you not read Mathew 5? Jesus said in the old testament "an eye for an eye" but now you shld turn the other cheek.
Wld jesus ever permit you to kill?

I'm surprised all the Christians have yet understood the biblical concept of an eye for an eye. God cannot contradict Himself because He is not a man neither is He a son of man. The God of yesterday is still the God of today. And where were you when Jesus says " think not that I have come to abolish the law of the prophet..."

1 Like

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by zionmade(m): 10:31am On Feb 05, 2017
guy1234:

How did the Nigerian / Biafra soldier show love during the civil war? Do you know how many innocent people that died? Is that love?
Right from the days of Abraham to the days of the apostles Innocent people die in war.
Jesus prophesied the destruction of Isreal or rather ravage of israel because of their inability to know their time of salvation
GOD described David as a man after his own mind, now do u know that nobody in the bible killed more dan David in d bible.
My God is called Jehovah Melchadiska(the Lord mighty in battle) can a battle be fought without death of the innocent
Paul said pray for those in authority, can there be any authority without soldiers can there be soldiers without battles
Paul converted soldiers in rome, did he tell dem to stop their work
Philip baptized a eunuch go and read who a eunuch is
In d prophesied battle of armeggedon dat God said he himself will comw and defend israel, wont Innocent souls get killed?

3 Likes

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by xaggar(m): 10:32am On Feb 05, 2017
joyeSeraph:
Lol......

True Christians are fewer than u can imagine. What do believing in?
Self deluding Mugu!

1 Like

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by felixomor: 10:33am On Feb 05, 2017
joyeSeraph:
And wetin concern you with the atheist's concerns?

The title of the thread.
Try again..
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by guy1234: 10:34am On Feb 05, 2017
zionmade:

Right from the days of Abraham to the days of the apostles Innocent people die in war.
Jesus prophesied the destruction of Isreal or rather ravage of israel because of their inability to know their time of salvation
GOD described David as a man after his own mind, now do u know that nobody in the bible killed more dan David in d bible.
My God is called Jehovah Melchadiska(the Lord mighty in battle) can a battle be fought without death of the innocent
Paul said pray for those in authority, can there be any authority without soldiers can there be soldiers without battles
Paul converted soldiers in rome, did he tell dem to stop their work
Philip baptized a eunuch go and read who a eunuch is
In d prophesied battle of armeggedon dat God said he himself will comw and defend israel, wont Innocent souls get killed?

No, innocents won't be killed in the battle of Armageddon. Also consider isiah 2:4. God is not happy with wars
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by zionmade(m): 10:37am On Feb 05, 2017
guy1234:

No, innocents won't be killed in the battle of Armageddon
Now address all d points not just one
A little insight about d battle of armeggedon. Isreal will sign a peace pact and then they will think that they have peace but in d middle of d seven years d deal will be broken and nations will come against dem, den they will cry unto d lord
Now if the nations dat God will destroy are not Innocent den no hausa man or an unbeliever is innocent
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:37am On Feb 05, 2017
guy1234:

That's a wrong generalization. There's a few that are actually genuine
I don't believe that. I doubt any SANE human being would ever obey the outrageous commandments given in the New Testament (LOVE YOUR ENEMIES). Only an incredible lunatic would be willing to meet up with the absurd requirements for being a TRUE CHRISTIAN.

And, indeed, I know of none, because nobody can ever be THAT mad.

1 Like

Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by jnrbayano(m): 10:38am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:

Your examples are not scriptural so all you said are rubbish as far as christianity is concerned.
Show me the scriptures that permits a Christian to kill

I don't think you know what being a Christian looks like
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Scalord: 10:38am On Feb 05, 2017
Scalord:

A christian is permitted to kill if he receives divine revelation from God to kill.... The whole bible is gotten from revelation so you cannot rationalize it based on some logical analysis. Otherwise how can you rationalize the bringing down the wall of jericho and massacre of all Men, Women and children there... or Saul's destruction of the Amalakites..we would have called those genocide in modern times but these are reveleations from the Almighty.. And dont argue the OT, NT thing..remember that all scriptures were inspired by the same God!

You simply cannot dismiss anyone that says he has a revealation to do anything including killing because in absence of a rational society, every madness should fly.. and accepted by Faith afterall no one can realy justify all the stuffs written in their various holy books except by Faith.. I can thereforw choose to accept Shekau's position on wipe out of western civilization from Nigeria as part of God's new revelation similar to his plan for the bronze aged Israelites, and if you think its madness then try you accepting the genocidal attacks of the biblical attacks the various earth destroying atrocities of Yahweh...

In the end.. religion is by revealation so anything can go!
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by zionmade(m): 10:39am On Feb 05, 2017
God is not happy dat a sinner will go to hell doesn't mean dat sinners wont go to hell
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:39am On Feb 05, 2017
xaggar:

True Christians are fewer than u can imagine. What do believing in?
Self deluding Mugu!
Bro, how market?
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Joettti: 10:40am On Feb 05, 2017
cummando:
Its a job!!!!!!
Once in uniform anything you do is on the country.
Off it you are human.
That's why they are called zombies...tools
The other adversary is a symbol not a personperson
Heaven is sure for soldiers. That follow orders. No matter what

Hmmm I rest my case??!!!
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Tedassie(m): 10:43am On Feb 05, 2017
amnesty7:
"But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me."
According to Luke 19:27 , Jesus commanded.
He spoke in parable,read the verses leading up to it you'll understand.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by oteneaaron(m): 10:43am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:
The days of fighting physical battles is over, in fact if the bible is to be followed, it is even a sin to take vengeance in any form. The New testament makes it clear that gone are the days of an eye for an eye. It is the age of turning the left cheek when the right cheek is slapped. It is an age of fighting with spiritual weapons. It is an age of evangelism and not warfare.

There seems to be Absolutely NO REASON why a christian should be a soldier. Jesus would certainly from at any of his sheep throwing bombs at souls he created.

Can a soldier indeed go to heaven if killed in warfare? Can a christian be a soldier?

IS THERE ANY TIME A CHRISTIAN IS PERMITTED TO KILL? CAN A CHRISTIAN KILL IN SELF DEFENSE?

There are 2 sides to this Coin.

The Bible in the New testament stated categorically -- " Thou shall not kill" ....even Jesus said ."..those who kill by the sword,.....die by the sword"

Here comes the Tricky Part:

Christians follow every scripture right?....so that means, the Old testament is as relevant as the New one....

Now if the Israelites hadn't fought, and committed a lot of recorded genocide, would they have ever gotten to the promised Land?

It was a case of "Kill or be Killed".....wars had to be fought for the greater good.......- You do the analogy from there.

Now back to our Modern Time.

If there are no Soldiers, how will you -the Faithful, non-killing, Christian- be safe

Have any Idea how difficult it is Killing a fellow man...just to keep you fellow citizens safe?

Wars have been fought, and more will be fought.......Soldiers will Kill,.....but they do this, knowing fully well that they will be killed too.

They are Heroes. ...and If there was a Heaven....and a benevolent God up there...and He doesn't let them pass....(Soldiers who die in action...) then, I don't see anyone who deserves to be there.

THOUS SHALL NOT KILL...... But if you threaten my Life, my family...or on a battle field.....I'll shoot you, and won't miss. tongue
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Positiveever: 10:43am On Feb 05, 2017
I think I know where the confusion is from. Christianity does not offer you guys with a clear standing ruling. Once I had thought whether Christianity offers rulings in inheritance, but nay,there is no such thing. So many more such instance made it outstandingly clear for the thoughtful to ponder. What so made me doubt Christianity again was when two Christians,my friends, where arguing over alcohol.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Godlychild: 10:45am On Feb 05, 2017
You can as well ask will lawyers go to heaven because they know the truth some tea yet defend you and lie in doing that. Soldiers kill the enemies...those who are threat to national peace. It's a job but i will not take up such job as a Christian.
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by Nobody: 10:46am On Feb 05, 2017
Scalord:

I enjoyed this....

So, my friend, may I ask, if you get a divine revelation from God, telling you to go and slaughter your mum, this very minute, will you go ahead to carry out the act, in accordance with the divine commandment?
Re: When Are christians Permitted to KILL and Can A Christian Be A Soldier? by robbinn(m): 10:48am On Feb 05, 2017
HardMirror:

as we don't have any right to kill... in the Bible also GOD didn't forgive Cain when he killed abel.God Can only take vengeance fr yhu. so calling a military man a Christian iz wrong.bkos Jesus said that if you want to follow im u must forget abt ur families and follow him.. Peter left is job to follow jesus christ.. nd so many others... wat m saying is dat d military man shuld live is post nd go fr anoda job 2 avoid d wrath of GOD.:-

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Ancestral Curses / RCCG 2024 Prophecies By Pastor E.A. Adeboye. / Family Of Francis Atsu Vondee Ebony's Bodyguard To Visit Shrine Over Son’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.