Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,435 members, 7,808,555 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:23 PM

Why No One Should Wish The President Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why No One Should Wish The President Death (747 Views)

12 Steps To Impeach The President Of The Federal Republic Of Nigeria / I Wish The Oil Will Dry Up – Buhari Explodes, Reveals Nigeria Biggest Problem Ah / Why Would Nigeria Wish Their President Death? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why No One Should Wish The President Death by oglalasioux(m): 7:51am On Feb 07, 2017
Since independence in 1960, only two Nigerians have ruled the country out of genuine wish to rule.

The real person who was to be Nigeria's Prime Minister was Sir Ahmadu Bello who was actually the leader of the NPC and by right supposed to form a government. But he brought in Tafawa Balewa who might not have been prepared for such big task. Though I won't say the first republic was a failure, that precedence set off a chain that we seem cursed with.

The duo of Aguiyi Ironsi and Yakubu Gowon accidentally found themselves in power following the two bloody coups in 1966. Non of the two were prepared for the tasks.

Murtala Mohammed was the only military leader with ambitions and genuine willingness to develop the country when he overthrew the Gowon regime but he was shot dead shortly after taking over power thereby installing another unprepared person, Olusegun Obasanjo, in power.

Obasanjo's transition to civil rule in 1979 saw the hijack of someone whose ambition was to be a senator, Shehu Shagari, into the presidential race which he won. The next president, Mohammadu Buhari, was a division commander in Jos when the Babangida gang dragged him into power. Babangida himself seized power when he felt threatened by Buhari. He never had prior ambition.

Ernest Shonekan, as we all know, was Babangida's fall guy so when Abacha showed him the door he quietly left. Abacha, like Babangida, used that power takeover to protect himself from indictments on his role in the annulment of the 1993 elections, never for the interest of Nigeria. Our next president, Abdulsalami Abubakar also accidentally ascended to power following Abacha's sudden demise.

In 1999, at the return of democracy, Olusegun Obasanjo was again imposed on Nigerians. The retired general was just released from prison and wanted to go back to his farm. The military gang of Abdulsalami Abubakar rammed him down our throats and eight years later, Obasanjo himself will make an unwilling sick man, Umaru Yar'adua, Nigeria's president and a barely known man whose greatest ambition was to be the governor of his state, Goodluck Jonathan, his vice president.

In the circle of unprepared and unwilling accidental leaders, Goodluck Jonathan found himself in power after Yar'adua suddenly died from a protracted illness.

Buhari's second coming is the first time in a democratic setting an ambitious person is rulling Nigeria. Whether he makes good that ambition or not is not the basis of this analysis but my point is, should the president be incapacitated thereby making Osibanjo the president, it means Nigeria is cursed with unwilling unprepared people getting into power and as we can see, we have been worse off over that development.

3 Likes

Re: Why No One Should Wish The President Death by respect80(m): 8:00am On Feb 07, 2017
I apologize to my eyes for making it read trash
Re: Why No One Should Wish The President Death by thinkmoney(m): 8:04am On Feb 07, 2017
respect80:
I apologize to my eyes for making it read trash
Guy, where Una dey see dis talent for trash talking
Re: Why No One Should Wish The President Death by respect80(m): 8:20am On Feb 07, 2017
thinkmoney:

Guy, where Una dey see dis talent for trash talking
that is the truth. the post is nothing but a trash

(1) (Reply)

Buhari Remains A Terrorist Worldwide A Sick Vagabond Incompetent Charlatan / See What Our Senator Donated / Buhari’s Reign Will End Democracy In Nigeria – Prophet Iyunade

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.