Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,690 members, 7,802,000 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:39 AM

Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? (21127 Views)

Extreme Wife's Submission To Her Husband According To The New Covenant. / Mary Is The Ark Of The New Covenant / Grace Is Our Teacher, Not The Ten Commandments - Olamide Obire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:50am On Feb 07, 2017
The Old Testament always informs us through
the prophets as to what changes are coming in
the future. Note the following scripture. Amos 3:7“Surely the Lord GOD will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the
prophets.” So what did the Old Testament say about the New Covenant? Jeremiah 31:33 “But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.”
Does this verse say God will put a “new” law in
their hearts? Or does it say His law “except” His Sabbath being the fourth Commandment? No! The law that God said He is going to write into the hearts of His people is “His law” as it exists in the Old Testament! Hence God is saying that there is going to be NO change to His law with the New Covenant.
Some trying to avoid God's law have said that
the Old Covenant was made with Israel and so the Ten Commandments were only for Israel. But note that the New Covenant was also made ONLY with the “House of Israel.” This is covered in detail in is the Sabbath for Israel only but in the meanwhile know that the Bible tells us that if we are Christ's then we are Abraham's seed and “children of Israel” or the “House of Israel.” Honestly, how could any sane person think that God would expect one group to obey His law and allow everyone else to sin? (1 John 3:4) Paul elaborates further on the purpose of the law, “What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. No, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, You shall not covet.” Romans 7:7Below is the New Testament fulfilment of
Jeremiah 31:33 in regards to the New Covenant. Hebrews 8:6-10 “But now has he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises. 7 For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second. 8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: 9 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord. 10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:”
God made a covenant with His children when
He lead them by the hand out of the land of
Egypt. (verse 9). The Bible tells us that Christ
came as the Mediator of a New Covenant (verse 6) The belief that the New Covenant abolishes the Ten Commandments reflects a misunderstanding of both covenants. God tells us that He altered the original covenant and made “a better covenant, which was established upon better promises” (verse 6). But as we have already seen, it was not established on different laws. The law stayed the same. There was however a weakness or fault in the original covenant. That fault was with the people, NOT with the law. “For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:” (verse cool. It was “because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.” (verse 9). In the Old Covenant God wrote His Ten Commandments on tablets of stone. It was external and not part of the thinking and motives of the people. It was in their literature but NOT in their hearts. In the New Covenant God writes His law “into their minds, and writes them in their hearts.” (verse 10). To enable people to internalise His law, to love it and obey it eagerly and willingly, God makes this promise, Ezekiel 36:26-27 “A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and you shall keep my judgments, and do them.” See also the two Covenants.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by GodsMopol: 11:47am On Feb 07, 2017
the new testament perfected and gave it the true picture.

Jesus said, I'm not here to destroy, but fulfil, Paul said the old testament was a shadow

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

its like saying the law and prophet were a piece of each complete piece of a puzzle, the puzzle was Jesus

Matthew 11:13 For all the prophets and the law prophesied until John.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:12pm On Feb 07, 2017
GodsMopol:

Jesus said, I'm not here to destroy, but fulfil, Paul said the old testament was a shadow

Matthew 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

Hebrews 10:1 For the law having a shadow of good things to come, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect.

its like saying the law and prophet were a piece of each complete piece of a puzzle, the puzzle was Jesus

I don't understand you are you saying the law has been abolished?

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:12pm On Feb 07, 2017
GodsMopol:

I don't understand you are you saying the law has been abolished?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 4:53am On Feb 08, 2017
The simple answer to the OP is YES! The new covenant abolished 10 commandments.

2 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 8:10am On Feb 08, 2017
Goshen360:

I laugh,if so then define Sin for me?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 3:09pm On Feb 08, 2017
Goshen360:

Oh brother, what a delusion! SMH
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Auki: 7:08am On Feb 09, 2017
Christian are sure of nothing and agree on nothing. They full of doubt concerning their religion.

Watch it. Your answer will be YES and NO.

1. Rejecting ten commandments is sure ticket to Pauline Christianty-Paganism.

2.Endorsing ten commandments means worshiping God alone without partner like Jesus, Mary etc.- Like Muslims.

10 Likes

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:58am On Feb 09, 2017
Auki:
Christian are sure of nothing and agree on nothing. They full of doubt concerning their religion.

2.Endorsing ten commandments means worshiping God alone without partner like Jesus, Mary etc.- Like Muslims.

The Bible prophecised that the Devil deceiveth the Whole World(including Christains) and of course you.

Revelation 12:9
And the great dragon was cast out, that old
serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which
deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by LLSAINT(m): 2:52pm On Feb 09, 2017
Goshen360:
Kindly understand that there is a huge difference between to abolish and to fulfil. No Commandment was abolished, they were only fulfilled. The fulfilment of the Commandment was to make entrance the dominance of the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by blueAgent(m): 10:50pm On Feb 09, 2017
LLSAINT:

Kindly understand that there is a huge difference between to abolish and to fulfil. No Commandment was abolished, they were only fulfilled. The fulfilment of the Commandment was to make entrance the dominance of the Law of the Spirit of Life in Christ Jesus

Perfect answer Bro. People are confused, if the law was abolished then how do we define Sin or identify Sin?

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 1:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
blueAgent:

I laugh,if so then define Sin for me?

Sin is defined as MISSING THE MARK.....which is a verb AND.........a NATURE......depending on the scripture you quoting. In other words, sin IS a verb and a noun.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 2:01pm On Feb 10, 2017
LLSAINT:

I understand....the law is a LEGAL system....it contains the 10 commandments, the ordinance, the sacrifices, etc....the whole LAW.......including the 10 commandments IS ABOLISHED under the new covenant.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 2:04pm On Feb 10, 2017
Splinz:

Oh brother, what a delusion! SMH

Delusion? U being STUDYING or READING your bible or JUST LISTENING TO YOUR PASTOR? Lord help us!
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 2:07pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

Delusion? U being STUDYING or READING your bible or JUST LISTENING TO YOUR PASTOR? Lord help us!

Why don't we study it together? Where are your proofs that the Ten Commandment is no longer binding

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 2:23pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

Sin is defined as MISSING THE MARK.....which is a verb AND.........a NATURE......depending on the scripture you quoting. In other words, sin IS a verb and a noun.

What a joke! Is this the understanding you gained from studying your own Bible or you were taught by your pastor

I don't know where you get your own definition of SIN from, because the Bible defined sin as the "transgression/breaking of the law" (1 John 3:4).

And so in the light of the Scriptures, your own definition is nothing but human invention, and remain as such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by LLSAINT(m): 3:50pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

I understand....the law is a LEGAL system....it contains the 10 commandments, the ordinance, the sacrifices, etc....the whole LAW.......including the 10 commandments IS ABOLISHED under the new covenant.
If your assertion is completely true, My question is; on what basis or foundation is the Perfect Law of Liberty?2. How then do you now define sin? What is the fundemental essence of the Law of the Spirit in Christ? That you are a son of somebody does not mean the somebody is abolished. What I mean in the literal sense is that You as a person is the fulfilment/perfection/product of two persons.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Splinz(m): 3:59pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

Sorry. On the contrary, what you claimed to understand is nothing but an erroneous understanding. Lets look at it.

Some Background on the Ten Commandments

In ancient Israel, the Ten Commandments were the basis for: (1) Laws—rules of conduct established by authority; (2) Statutes—laws enacted by a law-making body or ruler; (3) Judgments—judicial decisions of court cases; (4) Ordinances—public decrees or regulations; by-laws of a municipality; religious ceremonies; (5) Precepts—authorized directions or orders; and (6) Covenants—binding agreements; which are formal sealed compacts, usually between two parties. These definitions should better help you understand these terms as found in the Scriptures.

The Ten Commandments primarily governed individual conduct. The statutes governed national and religious affairs, such as observing the Holy Days. The judgments were based on the Ten Commandments and the statutes.

Also, the Ten Commandments are actually categorized into two sections. The first four commandments define man’s relationship to God. The last six define his relationship with his fellow human beings. This was also reinforced by Christ. Notice: “Then one of them, which was a lawyer, asked Him a question, tempting Him, and saying, Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. On these TWO commandments hang all the law and the prophets” (Matt. 22:35-40).

Understand! The Ten Commandments were not called the law of Moses, but rather the law of God. The law of Moses consisted of: (1) the civil laws—the statutes and judgments that Moses relayed to the people from God, recorded in Exodus 21-23 and the remaining books of the Law—and (2) the ritualistic laws (Greek: ergon) added later, summarized in Hebrews 9:10. These ordinances regulated the Levitical sacrifices (Lev. 1-7) and related duties. Ergon means “works,” as in the “works of the law” (Gal. 2:16). This referred to the labor involving Levitical rituals abolished by Christ’s sacrifice. These were the set of laws abolished by Christ's sacrifice!

Finally, know that if you say that the Law (10th) has been done away, it therefore means that sin is death too, i.e, there's no more sin, since sin is the breaking of the law (1 John 3:4). And like Paul said, "sin is not imputed when there is no law" (Romans 5:13). So, when you say Christians are freed from the law, you're saying in essence that Christians are without sins—commit sins no more—sinless.

Let me leave you with this truth from apostle John: "If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us" (1 John 1:8 ).

PS: How can a LAW described in such a beautiful way as: "So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy, righteous and good" (Romans 7:12), be abolished? If the law which is also called "righteousness" is done away, what then shall you keep as a Christian—unrighteousness? Remember what Jesus said in Matthew 6:33: "But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness...?". Yes, it is true that true Christians are the "righteousness of God through Jesus" (Romans 3:22; 2 Cor. 5:21). And how is this righteousness through Jesus gotten? Jesus answered: "If you would enter life, keep the commandments" (Matthew 19:17), and also "If you continue in my word, you are truly my disciples" (John 8:31). Plain! A true Christian is a commandment keeper because the commandment so given by God as "holy, righteous and good", is the direct reflection of God's qualities which He wants us to practice and keep!
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 6:01pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:
No Goshen that's not true.

The Ten commands still holds firmly in the New covenant.

The Master divided the Ten Commands into 2.

The Ten Commandments are all about LOVE. Half is love for God and half love for fellow man.

What is Jesus central message? isn't it love?
For for God, and love for one another.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 6:02pm On Feb 10, 2017
Auki:

Who is this?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 6:06pm On Feb 10, 2017
LLSAINT:

Thank you.
And the Part which was fulfilled has to do with the sacrificial laws, which concerns atonement for sins by shedding the blood of an animal in the place of Man's sins.

Jesus became that lamb. But what about the moral laws, do they also needs be fulfilled?

The only part of the law fulfilled, is the part that concerns sins

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 6:10pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

So, as a New covenant practitioner you are not obligated to Love the Lord Your God abi?

You can now steal from your neighbour?

You can now kill, commit fornication and adultery, You can lie as you like, bear false witness and malign the name of God right?

You can now worship other gods and make all kinds of images for worship right?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 6:48pm On Feb 10, 2017
analice107:

So, as a New covenant practitioner you are not obligated to Love the Lord Your God abi?

You can now steal from your neighbour?

You can now kill, commit fornication and adultery, You can lie as you like, bear false witness and malign the name of God right?

You can now worship other gods and make all kinds of images for worship right?

Lol....you people are throwing too many questions at me at the same time but lemme give short and straight forward answers to your questions:

You don't need the 10 commandments to tell you to love your God before you love. Under the new covenant, you can't love God because the 10 commandments told you to, you love because the the of God is put in you and you express it out to God and to your neighbors.

2. You love not because you as human is capable of loving but because he, God FIRST LOVED YOU.

3. You don't need 10 commandments to know that killing is bad. You don't need the 10 commandments to tell you fornication, adultery, lying, bearing false witness etc is bad, where was 10 commandments before Joseph ran away from Potipher wife and didn't commit fornication? How? The Spirit of God teach you and tells you it's not good NOT the 10 commandments.

Under the new covenant and BEFORE the law, it is the REIGN OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 6:54pm On Feb 10, 2017
analice107:

No Goshen that's not true.

The Ten commands still holds firmly in the New covenant.

The Master divided the Ten Commands into 2.

The Ten Commandments are all about LOVE. Half is love for God and half love for fellow man.

What is Jesus central message? isn't it love?
For for God, and love for one another.

Jesus was still under the law and old covenant when he was teaching in the 4 gospels. Look carefully, you have to understand THE MINISTRY OF JESUS before he died to be able to rightly divide the word of truth.

Jesus didn't tell you to love God, he said love God with the WHOLE of your heart. Well, here's the problem...if I love God with the WHOLE of my heart, what is left for me to love my wife and others with? grin grin grin
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 6:57pm On Feb 10, 2017
@ Splinz, I'll respond to that your long writeup from my computer not from my phone as I'm doing now.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 7:04pm On Feb 10, 2017
LLSAINT:

If your assertion is completely true, My question is; on what basis or foundation is the Perfect Law of Liberty?2. How then do you now define sin? What is the fundemental essence of the Law of the Spirit in Christ? That you are a son of somebody does not mean the somebody is abolished. What I mean in the literal sense is that You as a person is the fulfilment/perfection/product of two persons.

Perfect law of liberty is on the foundation of the Spirit of God.

Sin is missing the mark by an action. You see the problem is when you see the word "sin" in the bible, many of you only think it's a verb. Go and study, sin is also a noun....as in the nature or sin nature or nature of sin.

Essence of the law of the Spirit, to worship the Father without any sense of guilt in our hearts.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 7:07pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

Jesus was still under the law and old covenant when he was teaching in the 4 gospels. Look carefully, you have to understand THE MINISTRY OF JESUS before he died to be able to rightly divide the word of truth.

Jesus didn't tell you to love God, he said love God with the WHOLE of your heart. Well, here's the problem...if I love God with the WHOLE of my heart, what is left for me to love my wife and others with? grin grin grin
Wait!!!! Is this the same Goshen i knew or someone is using his moniker. I doubt it. This can't be the same Goshen.

The Goshen i know doesn't reason as mundane as this.

What?, the love you have for God is the same kind of love you have for your wife?

Identity theft!!!!, this is not Goshen.

Goshen usurper, do you mean, Jesus taught something different while he was alive and everything changed as he died and resurrected?
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by analice107: 7:11pm On Feb 10, 2017
Goshen360:

Lol....you people are throwing too many questions at me at the same time but lemme give short and straight forward answers to your questions:

You don't need the 10 commandments to tell you to love your God before you love. Under the new covenant, you can't love God because the 10 commandments told you to, you love because the the of God is put in you and you express it out to God and to your neighbors.

2. You love not because you as human is capable of loving but because he, God FIRST LOVED YOU.

3. You don't need 10 commandments to know that killing is bad. You don't need the 10 commandments to tell you fornication, adultery, lying, bearing false witness etc is bad, where was 10 commandments before Joseph ran away from Potipher wife and didn't commit fornication? How? The Spirit of God teach you and tells you it's not good NOT the 10 commandments.

Under the new covenant and BEFORE the law, it is the REIGN OF THE SPIRIT OF GOD.
Someone stole Goshen's moniker.
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 7:15pm On Feb 10, 2017
Splinz:

What a joke! Is this the understanding you gained from studying your own Bible or you were taught by your pastor

I don't know where you get your own definition of SIN from, because the Bible defined sin as the "transgression/breaking of the law" (1 John 3:4).

And so in the light of the Scriptures, your own definition is nothing but human invention, and remain as such.

So is that the ONLY definition of the word SIN in the bible? You just mentioned ONE out of the way sin was used in the bible. Also note, WHATSOEVER is not of faith IS SIN. So, when you doubt you sin (Verb) right?

How about the NOUN sin? Which is the SIN NATURE or PERSON.....he who knew NO SIN became SIN for us, so we can become the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. Tell me that SIN is a verb?

Shall we continue in SIN that Grace may abound? Certainly not. How can we who are DEAD TO SIN live therein anymore.....again, tell me if that's a verb or a noun. If you think it's a verb, how come you still sin IF YOU'RE DEAD TO SIN....abi you no sin yesterday?

grin grin grin
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 7:17pm On Feb 10, 2017
Splinz:

Why don't we study it together? Where are your proofs that the Ten Commandment is no longer binding

I'll be glad if we study together. God bless you
Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 7:20pm On Feb 10, 2017
analice107:

Wait!!!! Is this the same Goshen i knew or someone is using his moniker. I doubt it. This can't be the same Goshen.

The Goshen i know doesn't reason as mundane as this.

What?, the love you have for God is the same kind of love you have for your wife?

Identity theft!!!!, this is not Goshen.

Goshen usurper, do you mean, Jesus taught something different while he was alive and everything changed as he died and resurrected?

Nobody stole my moniker. I'm not saying Jesus taught something different. You have to put Jesus teaching in proper context and understand what he was doing then.....he was mediating for the new covenant which is to come AFTER his death.

1 Like

Re: Does The New Covenant Abolish The Ten Commandments? by Goshen360(m): 7:21pm On Feb 10, 2017
analice107:

Someone stole Goshen's moniker.

No, it's me Goshen360. Let's take it gently. If I say something and you can't digest it....ask questions and I'll explain better.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (14) (Reply)

What's The Fate Of Good, Godly Single Girls? / "The Devil Loves Sex Too" By Sunday Akanni Moshood / Why Daddy Freeze Deserves An Award

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.