Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,794 members, 7,798,680 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 08:25 AM

Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB (9685 Views)

Had First-class In MCB But Want Medicine. Pls Which Scholarship Can I Apply For? / A First Class Biochemist Needs A Job / The Practice Of Medical Laboratory Science In Nigeria: My Take And Plea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 7:37pm On Feb 07, 2017
Why do Medical Laboratory Scientists derive pleasure in oppressing Biochemist, Microbiologists and Laboratory technicians but always cry the oppressed/victims when it comes to PATHOLOGISTS(Medical Doctors). They claim these people don't have the required training and experience but following this argument of theirs do they need to cry victim as the same logic is applicable to them and the Pathologist??
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 9:01pm On Feb 07, 2017
Oogway:
Why do Medical Laboratory Scientists derive pleasure in oppressing Biochemist, Microbiologists and Laboratory technicians but always cry the oppressed/victims when it comes to PATHOLOGISTS(Medical Doctors). They claim these people don't have the required training and experience but following this argument of theirs do they need to cry victim as the same logic is applicable to them and the Pathologist??

My good friend Mr Oogway, it's not oppression and it's called regards for the rule of law. It's also a career path everyone choose to follow. For the aforementioned group you called aside the Medical laboratory technician not SLT oo did the science part of the courses they choose to follow but MLScts did not only do the science (which they did), but the Medical parts of their science(which they didn't do) and it's application to human subject (hence the knowledge of a MLS supercedes these other groups as it relates to the Medical aspect). Need I tell you just one MLS can do the jobs of these individuals unscathed.

As regards "Nigerian" pathologists we have no problem with them as regards anything but where the bone of contention comes in is when:
1. They don't want to obey the rule of law as regards their practice (as even MDCN doesn't supervise or regulate their practice)
2. He wants to supervise my work ( the two are unrelated so whats the supervision / supervisory rols for? Are we holding same degree or license?)
3. He's bent on signing my result which he contributed nothing to in the process.
4. Most have forgotten their role(s) and have started encroaching and doing what isn't in their job description.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 9:43pm On Feb 07, 2017
nelszx:

My good friend Mr Oogway, it's not oppression and it's called regards for the rule of law. It's also a career path everyone choose to follow. For the aforementioned group you called aside the Medical laboratory technician not SLT oo did the science part of the courses they choose to follow but MLScts did not only do the science (which they did), but the Medical parts of their science(which they didn't do) and it's application to human subject (hence the knowledge of a MLS supercedes these other groups as it relates to the Medical aspect). Need I tell you just one MLS can do the jobs of these individuals unscathed.

As regards "Nigerian" pathologists we have no problem with them as regards anything but where the bone of contention comes in is when:
1. They don't want to obey the rule of law as regards their practice (as even MDCN doesn't supervise or regulate their practice)
2. He wants to supervise my work ( the two are unrelated so whats the supervision / supervisory rols for? Are we holding same degree or license?)
3. He's bent on signing my result which he contributed nothing to in the process.
4. Most have forgotten their role(s) and have started encroaching and doing what isn't in their job description.

But then again you felt good when u went to go get an order preventing MCB to work in the labs, also telling the Anatomist and BCM that that have no place in the histopathology lab. You claim you can do the job of all these guys. Yet you complain about Encouragement. Need I tell u that medical laboratory science as it is today was taught to you guys by the pathologist (Doctors) and yet they gave you a chance to grow. Yet you don't wanna do same for the rest. Why higher a lab scientist when a pathologist can run the test and interprete it.

In the health care every branch is an outgrowth of medicine and the rest are smaller units under it. So it's only right a Doctor or in this case a pathologist supervise your work owing to the fact that he has more clinical knowledge, skill and experience (According to your explanation up).

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 5:08am On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

But then again you felt good when u went to go get an order preventing MCB to work in the labs, also telling the Anatomist and BCM that that have no place in the histopathology lab. You claim you can do the job of all these guys. Yet you complain about Encouragement. Need I tell u that medical laboratory science as it is today was taught to you guys by the pathologist (Doctors) and yet they gave you a chance to grow. Yet you don't wanna do same for the rest. Why higher a lab scientist when a pathologist can run the test and interprete it.

In the health care every branch is an outgrowth of medicine and the rest are smaller units under it. So it's only right a Doctor or in this case a pathologist supervise your work owing to the fact that he has more clinical knowledge, skill and experience (According to your explanation up).

There's absolutely no order preventing others in Nigeria maybe if you have one you show me. Today we have so many MCB, BCH and SLTs who are now MLS (by virtue of going back to study as a MLS).

If you want to practice MLS, you must have a BMLS degree and your current license for that year and when you read the 28(2) you'll see what the practice entails - (MLSCN Act)

Like I've said there's no order from any quarters it's just what the law stipulates(MLSCN Act) and that's what is followed. Same way an Anatomist or physiologist can perform the work of a doctor in any guise (MDCN Act). Get both Act and read it up you will understand what you termed "Oppression".

My brother, the era where pathologists supervises the work of a MLS was in the 80s and early 90s cos as at then it was just a middle power job with no relevant education. But now it's wrong, a professional whose degree and license isn't one and same with the other professional cannot supervise another. He can supervise residents under him but not another professional (Most times they seem lost). MLS have moved from that errand boy era to a more developed state as regards education (You want to supervise a PhD, MSc holder in the area of his jurisdiction or someone with ASCP or RCPATH).

why hire a lab scientist when a pathologist can run the test and interprete it.
Cos that's the job and primary responsibility of the MLS and not the pathologist. MLS are well trained in that (he can interpret the result he generates. And besides with exception to the Histopathologists, they are not supposed to run tests (as that is encroaching into another territory)but rather use and interprete the result generated by the MLS for diagnostic and consultation purpose(s).

For a fact that every party has it roles to play they are independent of each other and should be accorded that respect. And besides DID YOU KNOW that pathologists fought tooth and nail preventing the university education of MLS?
Well let's not argue much those era have come and gone, MLS is growing like a cancer on metastasis and since its not one and same with medicine, it's practitioners should practice independently as one and not as an appendage to pathologists (It's now a global trend not a NIGERIAN thing).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 7:08am On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

There's absolutely no order preventing others in Nigeria maybe if you have one you show me. Today we have so many MCB, BCH and SLTs who are now MLS (by virtue of going back to study as a MLS).

If you want to practice MLS, you must have a BMLS degree and your current license for that year and when you read the 28(2) you'll see what the practice entails - (MLSCN Act)

Like I've said there's no order from any quarters it's just what the law stipulates(MLSCN Act) and that's what is followed. Same way an Anatomist or physiologist can perform the work of a doctor in any guise (MDCN Act). Get both Act and read it up you will understand what you termed "Oppression".

My brother, the era where pathologists supervises the work of a MLS was in the 80s and early 90s cos as at then it was just a middle power job with no relevant education. But now it's wrong, a professional whose degree and license isn't one and same with the other professional cannot supervise another. He can supervise residents under him but not another professional (Most times they seem lost). MLS have moved from that errand boy era to a more developed state as regards education (You want to supervise a PhD, MSc holder in the area of his jurisdiction or someone with ASCP or RCPATH).

Cos that's the job and primary responsibility of the MLS and not the pathologist. MLS are well trained in that (he can interpret the result he generates. And besides with exception to the Histopathologists, they are not supposed to run tests (as that is encroaching into another territory)but rather use and interprete the result generated by the MLS for diagnostic and consultation purpose(s).

For a fact that every party has it roles to play they are independent of each other and should be accorded that respect. And besides DID YOU KNOW that pathologists fought tooth and nail preventing the university education of MLS?
Well let's not argue much those era have come and gone, MLS is growing like a cancer on metastasis and since its not one and same with medicine, it's practitioners should practice independently as one and not as an appendage to pathologists (It's now a global trend not a NIGERIAN thing).

You talk about act and jurisdiction, where in your act does it give scientists the right to interpret results. I made a point about clinical knowledge and experience.
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 10:02am On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

You talk about act and jurisdiction, where in your act does it give scientists the right to interpret results. I made a point about clinical knowledge and experience.

Interpretation of test results is taught in school (from basic to advanced state) as part of the training curriculum and it's no where in MDCN Act also (If you see it you can show me). Training curriculum from 300l prepares you for that (Pathology / pathophysiology of diseases, Pharmacology, Clinical chemistry, Haematology, Histopathology and Medical Microbiology from basic to advanced)

The only thing the pathologist has over the scientist is that he's seeing the patients medical history in front of him and can relate the result to the patient while the scientist can tell from his/her result.

I've seen cases after conducting a test, some doctors call to ask what this means if I can't interpret my result then what differentiates me from the conventional Quacks?

Funny how you are commonising MLS

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 10:37am On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

Interpretation of test results is taught in school (from basic to advanced state) as part of the training curriculum and it's no where in MDCN Act also (If you see it you can show me). Training curriculum from 300l prepares you for that (Pathology / pathophysiology of diseases, Pharmacology, Clinical chemistry, Haematology, Histopathology and Medical Microbiology from basic to advanced)

The only thing the pathologist has over the scientist is that he's seeing the patients medical history in front of him and can relate the result to the patient while the scientist can tell from his/her result.

I've seen cases after conducting a test, some doctors call to ask what this means if I can't interpret my result then what differentiates me from the conventional Quacks?

Funny how you are commonising MLS

Jesus, bro. I'm really surprised at your post. So the basic pharmacology you do is advance??
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 1:11pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

Jesus, bro. I'm really surprised at your post. So the basic pharmacology you do is advance??

No its not advance (Only pharmacists go advance in it) but at least we covered basically 60% of it as do others not compared to the pharmacists.Just basic knowledge of drug interactions, the kinetics, dynamics and in some disorders to an appreciable extent (so it's still basic we didn't go further). Besides Pharmacology for MLS is taught for a whole year (Exam 500 MCQs with 8 theory to answer 5).

The pharmacology taught then makes your work easier as you have idea of these drugs and some of its effects on certain laboratory procedures.

Make your point and stop looking for where to hinge on. This is a discussion
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Collinsemegreat(m): 2:01pm On Feb 08, 2017
Even a they undergo same training with medical biochemistry why the nonsense?
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 3:22pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

No its not advance (Only pharmacists go advance in it) but at least we covered basically 60% of it as do others not compared to the pharmacists.Just basic knowledge of drug interactions, the kinetics, dynamics and in some disorders to an appreciable extent (so it's still basic we didn't go further). Besides Pharmacology for MLS is taught for a whole year (Exam 500 MCQs with 8 theory to answer 5).

The pharmacology taught then makes your work easier as you have idea of these drugs and some of its effects on certain laboratory procedures.

Bro, i did MLS and later left for Medicine. The pharmacology you do is less than 30% and don't bring in pharmacist here because Pharmacology is a branch of its own. One of the 5 areas of pharmacy. You guys hardly touch systemic pharmacology, all you did was basic pharmacology. Pharmacokinetics and dynamics, drugs metabolism and excretion. Slightly touching other parts. There's no where in your licence were MLS are licensed to inteprete results. If I'm wrong please current me. Very soon u would claim because u did "BASIC" pharmacology you can go on prescribing

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

You want to tell me you read 60% of Tripathy or Kazung

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 3:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
Collinsemegreat:
Even a they undergo same training with medical biochemistry why the nonsense?

Why nonsense are you referring to bro??
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 5:54pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

Bro, i did MLS and later left for Medicine. The pharmacology you do is less than 30% and don't bring in pharmacist here because Pharmacology is a branch of its own. One of the 5 areas of pharmacy. You guys hardly touch systemic pharmacology, all you did was basic pharmacology. Pharmacokinetics and dynamics, drugs metabolism and excretion. Slightly touching other parts. There's no where in your licence were MLS are licensed to inteprete results. If I'm wrong please current me. Very soon u would claim because u did "BASIC" pharmacology you can go on prescribing

Do you just want to argue or you want to listen to what I'm saying? It's no where in my license to interpret results neither is it in a Doctor cum pathologist licence either it's just something you need to know (even in 400 or 300 they teach MD students on some basic laboratory result interpretation let alone one doing MLS). The pharmacology we're being taught whatever percentage you want to grade it doesn't give us the RIGHT whatsoever to prescribe drugs (Unlawful).

Me I read Rang and Dale with essentials of clinical pharmacology. Funny how you said we hardly touch systemic pharmacology so what were we doing for a full year. To burst your bubble we did systemic pharmacology (CNS to respiratory to renal to digestive to CVS but all on the basics added to the ones you earlier mentioned). Since you left MLS for Medicine you should have friends in MLS ask for their outline for pharmacology.

Congratulations for leaving MLS for Medicine (Your decision anyway).

P.S: When I get home after close of work I'll show you my outline I still have it since 2010 I did Pharmacology
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 6:12pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

Do you just want to argue or you want to listen to what I'm saying? It's no where in my license to interpret results neither is it in a Doctor cum pathologist licence either it's just something you need to know (even in 400 or 300 they teach MD students on some basic laboratory result interpretation let alone one doing MLS). The pharmacology we're being taught whatever percentage you want to grade it doesn't give us the RIGHT whatsoever to prescribe drugs (Unlawful).

Me I read Rang and Dale with essentials of clinical pharmacology. Funny how you said we hardly touch systemic pharmacology so what were we doing for a full year. To burst your bubble we did systemic pharmacology (CNS to respiratory to renal to digestive to CVS but all on the basics added to the ones you earlier mentioned). Since you left MLS for Medicine you should have friends in MLS ask for their outline for pharmacology.

Congratulations for leaving MLS for Medicine (Your decision anyway).

P.S: When I get home after close of work I'll show you my outline I still have it since 2010 I did Pharmacology

Bro, I did pharm in MLS and Medicine, I can tell you the difference is clear.
2ndly, we both know a Med lab scientist is not permitted by Law to inteprete a test result (that's what I meant earlier) and you know the truth

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 6:42pm On Feb 08, 2017
ihave been following this thread for sometimes and i like some of the comments made. however i will like to point out some things , first i appreciate the observation by manga in a late post which he clarified that in USA the laboratory physician otherwise pathologist ultimately heads the laboratory.this obtains in the western and advanced countries, there is a difference between a pathologist and a medical lab scientist. this difference is noted by bernard in their job functions. according to the american society for clinical pathology(a society that oversees the certification of lab professional includuing medical technologists in USA) career handbook for lab professionals, A pathologist is a physician (MD or DO) who examines tissues and is responsible for the accuracy of laboratory tests. Pathologists interpret the results of these examinations and tests while Medical
technologists work in all areas of the clinical laboratory including blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology.They perform a full range of laboratory tests – from simple premarital blood tests, to more complex tests to uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer. They are also responsible for confirming the accuracy of test results, and reporting laboratory findings to pathologists and other physicians.
from the above you can see that pathologists and medical lab scientists perform different functions, however there other professionals in the lab from the career handbook viz the medical lab technicians, the cytotechnologists, the histotechnologists.the pathologists' assistant.in nigeria all these except the technician are seen as medical lab scientists, there are two clarifications i'll like to make. the first is in trying to insinuate that a medical lab scientist , i mean a bachelor's in training and competence can be equated to a pathologists as the ultimate head of the lab.it is insulting. a ph.d scientist in western countries can to a certain extent be at par with the pathologists, but not a bachelor's degree holder, there is no basis for comparision, 2nd clarification the ph.d lab scientist can head a lab.in UK they do but increasingly are expected to have at least an MRCPath qualification, prof agbolanhor of LabCore has an FRCPath,but he is not a pathologist.pathologists and PH.D lab scientists interprete result,but when added clinical responsibilities are needed a pathologist takes responsibility

#copied
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 6:45pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

Bro, I did pharm in MLS and Medicine, I can tell you the difference is clear.
2ndly, we both know a Med lab scientist is not permitted by Law to inteprete a test result (that's what I meant earlier) and you know the truth

Healthcare system is team work and the reason we don't not as if we can't is simple. Whoever saw the patient(dr) needs the result to complete his diagnosis and as such he's in best position to interpret the result to his patient.

Check the 5th paragraph you will see what you seek. As funny as it sounds this isn't Nigeria.

https://www.usm.edu/undergraduate/medical-laboratory-science-bs
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 7:06pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:
ihave been following this thread for sometimes and i like some of the comments made. however i will like to point out some things , first i appreciate the observation by manga in a late post which he clarified that in USA the laboratory physician otherwise pathologist ultimately heads the laboratory.this obtains in the western and advanced countries, there is a difference between a pathologist and a medical lab scientist. this difference is noted by bernard in their job functions. according to the american society for clinical pathology(a society that oversees the certification of lab professional includuing medical technologists in USA) career handbook for lab professionals, A pathologist is a physician (MD or DO) who examines tissues and is responsible for the accuracy of laboratory tests. Pathologists interpret the results of these examinations and tests while Medical
technologists work in all areas of the clinical laboratory including blood banking, chemistry, hematology, immunology, and microbiology.They perform a full range of laboratory tests – from simple premarital blood tests, to more complex tests to uncover diseases such as HIV/AIDS, diabetes, and cancer. They are also responsible for confirming the accuracy of test results, and reporting laboratory findings to pathologists and other physicians.
from the above you can see that pathologists and medical lab scientists perform different functions, however there other professionals in the lab from the career handbook viz the medical lab technicians, the cytotechnologists, the histotechnologists.the pathologists' assistant.in nigeria all these except the technician are seen as medical lab scientists, there are two clarifications i'll like to make. the first is in trying to insinuate that a medical lab scientist , i mean a bachelor's in training and competence can be equated to a pathologists as the ultimate head of the lab.it is insulting. a ph.d scientist in western countries can to a certain extent be at par with the pathologists, but not a bachelor's degree holder, there is no basis for comparision, 2nd clarification the ph.d lab scientist can head a lab.in UK they do but increasingly are expected to have at least an MRCPath qualification, prof agbolanhor of LabCore has an FRCPath,but he is not a pathologist.pathologists and PH.D lab scientists interprete result,but when added clinical responsibilities are needed a pathologist takes responsibility

#copied
When you copy always read whatever it is to verify claims

The Positions
There are a variety of positions within a clinical laboratory, and roles are based on a career ladder of academic and technical milestones. Although terminology has changed slightly over time and may vary from location to location, the main elements to a clinical laboratory team include the laboratory director, technical and general supervisors, scientists/technologists, and technicians. Below is a description of these and other positions as well as a table summarizing the training and roles associated with each.

Laboratory Director
The director of a clinical laboratory is usually a board-certified medical doctor, PhD scientist, or in some cases, a medical laboratory scientist. He or she must meet the requirements of CLIA, the federal law governing U.S. laboratories, and/or the College of American Pathologists (CAP), The Joint Commission (TJC), COLA, or the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) if the lab is to be accredited by one of these private organizations.

Many are pathologists, physicians who specialize in the science of identifying the nature and cause of disease and who are specially trained to interpret biopsy results, Pap smears, and other cytologic samples. If the laboratory director is not a pathologist, a consulting pathologist may be retained to provide services that require their expertise, including interpreting test results.

Regardless of the qualifications of the director, CLIA states that the director is responsible for managing overall operations within the laboratory, including maintaining the standards of agencies that inspect and accredit the lab and ensuring that all technical, clinical, and administrative functions of the lab are performed.

Technical and General Supervisors
Clinical laboratories may also have technical or general supervisors, although the position title may be different in certain organizational structures. The lab director may serve as the technical supervisor as well. The technical supervisor may be a medical doctor (MD) or doctor of osteopathy (DO) with certification in anatomic and/or clinical pathology or other specialty, depending on the area s/he is responsible for, or has qualifications that meet the standards of board certification. The technical supervisor may also be a scientist with a PhD, a Master's, or a bachelor's degree and experience. S/he is responsible for the technical and scientific oversight of the lab.

A general supervisor, sometimes referred to as the laboratory manager, may have the same qualifications as the technical supervisor, but an individual with a bachelor's or associate's degree in the sciences and appropriate experience may qualify as well. A general supervisor is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day laboratory operations as well as the personnel conducting the tests and reporting results.

Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) 
Medical laboratory scientists (MLSs) or Medical technologists (MTs) play an important role in the clinical laboratory. They are responsible for performing routine as well as highly specialized tests to diagnose and/or aid in the treatment of disease, troubleshooting (preventing and solving problems with results, specimens, or instruments), and communicating test results to the pathologist or treating health practitioner. They may examine blood or body fluid specimens under the microscope for bacteria, parasites, fungus, or cells that might indicate cancer or other diseases. They may train other laboratory personnel, perform quality control checks, evaluate new instruments, and implement new test procedures. MLSs/MTs also may assume managerial roles, including supervising laboratory personnel as the general and/or technical supervisor.

Many MLSs/MTs specialize in one particular area, such as in clinical chemistry, immunology, molecular pathology, microbiology, or blood bank/transfusion service. MLSs/MTs have a bachelor's degree in clinical/medical laboratory science or the life sciences that included three or four years of academic course work and one year of clinical experience. Most labs require that MLSs/MTs be certified to demonstrate their competence to conduct their job functions. MLSs/MTs are certified by organizations such as the American Medical Technologists (AMT), the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC).

https://labtestsonline.org/lab/who/start/2
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 7:24pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

Healthcare system is team work and the reason we don't not as if we can't is simple. Whoever saw the patient(dr) needs the result to complete his diagnosis and as such he's in best position to interpret the result to his patient.

Check the 5th paragraph you will see what you seek. As funny as it sounds this isn't Nigeria.

https://www.usm.edu/undergraduate/medical-laboratory-science-bs

That's US bro
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Collinsemegreat(m): 7:33pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

Why nonsense are you referring to bro??
oppression of MBC
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 7:34pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

When you copy always read whatever it is to verify claims

The Positions
There are a variety of positions within a clinical laboratory, and roles are based on a career ladder of academic and technical milestones. Although terminology has changed slightly over time and may vary from location to location, the main elements to a clinical laboratory team include the laboratory director, technical and general supervisors, scientists/technologists, and technicians. Below is a description of these and other positions as well as a table summarizing the training and roles associated with each.

Laboratory Director
The director of a clinical laboratory is usually a board-certified medical doctor, PhD scientist, or in some cases, a medical laboratory scientist. He or she must meet the requirements of CLIA, the federal law governing U.S. laboratories, and/or the College of American Pathologists (CAP), The Joint Commission (TJC), COLA, or the American Association for Laboratory Accreditation (A2LA) if the lab is to be accredited by one of these private organizations.

Many are pathologists, physicians who specialize in the science of identifying the nature and cause of disease and who are specially trained to interpret biopsy results, Pap smears, and other cytologic samples. If the laboratory director is not a pathologist, a consulting pathologist may be retained to provide services that require their expertise, including interpreting test results.

Regardless of the qualifications of the director, CLIA states that the director is responsible for managing overall operations within the laboratory, including maintaining the standards of agencies that inspect and accredit the lab and ensuring that all technical, clinical, and administrative functions of the lab are performed.

Technical and General Supervisors
Clinical laboratories may also have technical or general supervisors, although the position title may be different in certain organizational structures. The lab director may serve as the technical supervisor as well. The technical supervisor may be a medical doctor (MD) or doctor of osteopathy (DO) with certification in anatomic and/or clinical pathology or other specialty, depending on the area s/he is responsible for, or has qualifications that meet the standards of board certification. The technical supervisor may also be a scientist with a PhD, a Master's, or a bachelor's degree and experience. S/he is responsible for the technical and scientific oversight of the lab.

A general supervisor, sometimes referred to as the laboratory manager, may have the same qualifications as the technical supervisor, but an individual with a bachelor's or associate's degree in the sciences and appropriate experience may qualify as well. A general supervisor is responsible for oversight of the day-to-day laboratory operations as well as the personnel conducting the tests and reporting results.

Medical Laboratory Scientist (MLS) or Medical Technologist (MT) 
Medical laboratory scientists (MLSs) or Medical technologists (MTs) play an important role in the clinical laboratory. They are responsible for performing routine as well as highly specialized tests to diagnose and/or aid in the treatment of disease, troubleshooting (preventing and solving problems with results, specimens, or instruments), and communicating test results to the pathologist or treating health practitioner. They may examine blood or body fluid specimens under the microscope for bacteria, parasites, fungus, or cells that might indicate cancer or other diseases. They may train other laboratory personnel, perform quality control checks, evaluate new instruments, and implement new test procedures. MLSs/MTs also may assume managerial roles, including supervising laboratory personnel as the general and/or technical supervisor.

Many MLSs/MTs specialize in one particular area, such as in clinical chemistry, immunology, molecular pathology, microbiology, or blood bank/transfusion service. MLSs/MTs have a bachelor's degree in clinical/medical laboratory science or the life sciences that included three or four years of academic course work and one year of clinical experience. Most labs require that MLSs/MTs be certified to demonstrate their competence to conduct their job functions. MLSs/MTs are certified by organizations such as the American Medical Technologists (AMT), the American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) Board of Certification (BOC).

https://labtestsonline.org/lab/who/start/2

Honestly, I love the way you argue. You seem to be a very smart fellow. Wish we could meet in the real. Back to the point. We in Nigeria not US. Thinks work differently here. You shouldn't always piont to the US in your sources. In Nigeria the director is always a Pathologist. Also the law doesn't allow a lab scientist inteprete a result. Anyone doing that does so illegally. Same rule is applicable to several other countries in the world over.
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 7:35pm On Feb 08, 2017
Collinsemegreat:
oppression of MBC

Are u a microbiologist bro?
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 9:04pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

Honestly, I love the way you argue. You seem to be a very smart fellow. Wish we could meet in the real. Back to the point. We in Nigeria not US. Thinks work differently here. You shouldn't always piont to the US in your sources. In Nigeria the director is always a Pathologist. Also the law doesn't allow a lab scientist inteprete a result. Anyone doing that does so illegally. Same rule is applicable to several other countries in the world over.

When you say something is illegal that means it has the backing of law for other individuals right?(interpretation of test results is neither in both MLSCN and MDCN Act). So it's not illegal, it's just courtesy since the patients physician is around he can help out with that (since he requested for the test) and it may not be applicable to walk - in patients but still they are still being directed to see a doctor in as much as one is tempted to say. But bear in mind also MLS can interpret results

Whatever rocks yyor boat Mr Oogway do you want me to name other countries where MLS interpretes results since US shouldn't be a point (despite the fact you have been shouting US ever since). There are still countries where it applies if you care to know I will share with you

Before the mods ban me I will share just this
Canada
http://www.hpcsa.co.za/PBMedicalTechnology - S/Africa
https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2015-gs7090 - New Zealand
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 9:36pm On Feb 08, 2017
Collinsemegreat:
oppression of MBC
Who's oppressing you don't you know what you signed into from day 1 and know what work your degree can fetch you?
You want to cut corners my friend find a place and relax
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Oogway: 10:50pm On Feb 08, 2017
nelszx:

When you say something is illegal that means it has the backing of law for other individuals right?(interpretation of test results is neither in both MLSCN and MDCN Act). So it's not illegal, it's just courtesy since the patients physician is around he can help out with that (since he requested for the test) and it may not be applicable to walk - in patients but still they are still being directed to see a doctor in as much as one is tempted to say. But bear in mind also MLS can interpret results

Whatever rocks yyor boat Mr Oogway do you want me to name other countries where MLS interpretes results since US shouldn't be a point (despite the fact you have been shouting US ever since). There are still countries where it applies if you care to know I will share with you

Before the mods ban me I will share just this
Canada
http://www.hpcsa.co.za/PBMedicalTechnology - S/Africa
https://gazette.govt.nz/notice/id/2015-gs7090 - New Zealand

You have once again evaded the truth, the Health care act not MDCN or MLSCN. You know this thing and I know it so why is it so difficult to admit it. I told you we in Nigeria not US(Canada and US follow same pattern of Health) so quoting a source linking to Canada isn't really doing any good. Moreover in US only 12states actually approve the act of medical laboratory practice to MLS guys only. I know because I have been there and relocating soon. Also only 1 post referred to US. And it was copied. You interpreting a result is you committing a foul in the law.

P.S I can list a number of tests you don't have the clinical skills and knowledge to run or interprete. It remains a medical laboratory until a Pathologist steps in once in gets there in a functioning power it becomes a Pathology lab. There's so much beef and bad blood between the Lab scientist and the medics here in Nigeria (The reason I didn't go into Pathology) partly because most of your brothers wanted doing medicine and ended up in MLS so they have this complex issues and the fact that the Pathologist mostly wanna shove it into your faces that they're the boss(mostly the young Doctors) either way bro, you really argue logically.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 11:17pm On Feb 08, 2017
Oogway:

You have once again evaded the truth, the Health care act not MDCN or MLSCN. You know this thing and I know it so why is it so difficult to admit it. I told you we in Nigeria not US(Canada and US follow same pattern of Health) so quoting a source linking to Canada isn't really doing any good. Moreover in US only 12states actually approve the act of medical laboratory practice to MLS guys only. I know because I have been there and relocating soon. Also only 1 post referred to US. And it was copied. You interpreting a result is you committing a foul in the law.

P.S I can list a number of tests you don't have the clinical skills and knowledge to run or interprete. It remains a medical laboratory until a Pathologist steps in once in gets there in a functioning power it becomes a Pathology lab. There's so much beef and bad blood between the Lab scientist and the medics here in Nigeria (The reason I didn't go into Pathology) partly because most of your brothers wanted doing medicine and ended up in MLS so they have this complex issues and the fact that the Pathologist mostly wanna shove it into your faces that they're the boss(mostly the young Doctors) either way bro, you really argue logically.

Ok for peace to reign I admit. But is there really a health care act in Nigeria or do you mean National health act cos the latter I know of but the former I don't know and haven't seen it anywhere in my life.

Ok please shoot I'd love to know the lists of tests for starters aside Histopathology.

Hahaha our brothers like yourself. Happy to know you have found fulfilment in your new found path. I wish you the very best
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Nobody: 2:45am On Feb 09, 2017
grin
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 10:51am On Feb 09, 2017
coollabman:
grin
My Oga you dey here, happy new year sir grin
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Nobody: 10:57am On Feb 09, 2017
nelszx:

My Oga you dey here, happy new year sir grin

happy new year o! how the family?! cheesy
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 11:08am On Feb 09, 2017
coollabman:

happy new year o! how the family?! cheesy
Very well bro
Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 11:36am On Feb 09, 2017
Oogway:

In Nigeria the director is ALWAYS a Pathologist.
In the current Nigeria, the director of laboratory services aren't always Pathologists I can name like 4 FTH/FMCs centres with exception to your ALWAYS (you can verify my claims later if you so wish to)
1. UCH Ibadan
2. FMC Asaba
3. UATH Abuja
4. NAUTH Nnewi
In these centers, all are seasoned MLS and not pathologist grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by nelszx: 11:43am On Feb 09, 2017
My good friend Mr Oogway, enjoy your day

1 Like

Re: Why Do Medical Laboratory Scientists Find Pleasure In Oppressing Biochemist, MCB by Collinsemegreat(m): 1:15pm On Feb 11, 2017
Oogway:

Are u a microbiologist bro?
Medical biochemist

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Where Can I Gain Experience In Electrical Engineering? / Work Freelance Transcription Jobs: Earn $150/month Averagely / How Will You Survive If Your Boss Fires You Today.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.