Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,362 members, 7,780,991 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:01 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (101) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1963226 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 3:55pm On Oct 02, 2017
To God be the glory great things he has done. <br>
<br>
Arrived MMIA at about 9:30am, 29th Sept and proceeded to weigh my bags. My bags were overweight, had 9 in all. The staff in charge of weighing asked me to share the excess load in a 10th bag since we are a family of 5. I bought Ghana-Must-go and shared the excess weight into it. I proceeded to check-in. The lady in charge of check in refused the 10th bag saying I have an infant and she&apos;s only entitled to one luggage. No problem, I paid for excess luggage ($160). Moved to immigration and all that. Had to go identify luggage a second time before boarding. All passengers on Egypt air must do this. Left Lagos at about 1:45pm. We arrived at Cairo at about 8:30pm.<br>
The waiting period at Cairo was soon over and time came to check-in again. Check in took longer than usual and flight didn&apos;t leave until 2:15am, 30 mins after the scheduled time. <br>
<br>
The flight to Toronto was smooth. About 11 hrs in all. The bulk of the time was spent sleeping. Landed at Toronto airport at about 7:15am. The declaration form didnt go round on the plane so it was completed at the airport. First point of call was border security, only question there was how much cash I had and since it was less the CAD10,000, moved to immigration. The officer there collected our COPR, asked for my Canadian address if I have already, waited for him to process our COPR and we were welcomed to Canada. From there to pick our baggages, went through customs. I had filled the accompanying goods form before leaving Lagos but I couldn&apos;t&nbsp; locate it. The officer asked what food are we carrying which I answered spaghetti. He asked whether it&apos;s cooked, answer is no. Asked if we have beef or any dairy product, and he asked us to go. It&apos;s worth noting that some people&apos;s bags were searched. By the time we were done, I had missed my connecting flight of 10:05am to Winnipeg. Not to worry the next flight for 12 noon. Joined the flight. Flight was for 2 hrs. Arrived Winnipeg at about 1:30pm Winnipeg time. Winnipeg is one hour behind Toronto presently. <br>
My advise to those coming, pls minimise your hand luggage if you have little kids. Also if you are using Ghana must go as check in bags, pls ensure its wrapped properly. If you are also using boxes that you have used for a few years, pls have a rethink. I had two of such boxes. I just thank God the things in it are intact. The boxes were a write off when we got here. <br>
In all, to God be the glory.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Fusion23: 6:00pm On Oct 02, 2017
amokemi:
To God be the glory great things he has done. <br>
<br>
Arrived MMIA at about 9:30am, 29th Sept and proceeded to weigh my bags. My bags were overweight, had 9 in all. The staff in charge of weighing asked me to share the excess load in a 10th bag since we are a family of 5. I bought Ghana-Must-go and shared the excess weight into it. I proceeded to check-in. The lady in charge of check in refused the 10th bag saying I have an infant and she&apos;s only entitled to one luggage. No problem, I paid for excess luggage ($160). Moved to immigration and all that. Had to go identify luggage a second time before boarding. All passengers on Egypt air must do this. Left Lagos at about 1:45pm. We arrived at Cairo at about 8:30pm.<br>
The waiting period at Cairo was soon over and time came to check-in again. Check in took longer than usual and flight didn&apos;t leave until 2:15am, 30 mins after the scheduled time. <br>
<br>
The flight to Toronto was smooth. About 11 hrs in all. The bulk of the time was spent sleeping. Landed at Toronto airport at about 7:15am. The declaration form didnt go round on the plane so it was completed at the airport. First point of call was border security, only question there was how much cash I had and since it was less the CAD10,000, moved to immigration. The officer there collected our COPR, asked for my Canadian address if I have already, waited for him to process our COPR and we were welcomed to Canada. From there to pick our baggages, went through customs. I had filled the accompanying goods form before leaving Lagos but I couldn&apos;t&nbsp; locate it. The officer asked what food are we carrying which I answered spaghetti. He asked whether it&apos;s cooked, answer is no. Asked if we have beef or any dairy product, and he asked us to go. It&apos;s worth noting that some people&apos;s bags were searched. By the time we were done, I had missed my connecting flight of 10:05am to Winnipeg. Not to worry the next flight for 12 noon. Joined the flight. Flight was for 2 hrs. Arrived Winnipeg at about 1:30pm Winnipeg time. Winnipeg is one hour behind Toronto presently. <br>
My advise to those coming, pls minimise your hand luggage if you have little kids. Also if you are using Ghana must go as check in bags, pls ensure its wrapped properly. If you are also using boxes that you have used for a few years, pls have a rethink. I had two of such boxes. I just thank God the things in it are intact. The boxes were a write off when we got here. <br>
In all, to God be the glory.

Where you given your SIN at Toronto airport or you have to apply at Winnipeg?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 8:07pm On Oct 02, 2017
Thank you landed veteran.

impish:
Thank God for journey mercies. Welcome to Canada. Hmmm....even me I am now one of the welcomers. Lmao!!!

Mrs. O
http://mycanadianfling.com/

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 8:18pm On Oct 02, 2017
Service Canada doesn't work on weekendsso I couldn'tget it at Toronto airport. Currently sitting at a Service Canada outlet in downtown Winnipeg waiting for my turn for SIN.

Fusion23:

Where you given your SIN at Toronto airport or you have to apply at Winnipeg?

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by alt3r3g0: 10:40pm On Oct 02, 2017

Top Banks for Newcomers to Canada

You’re lucky to be a proud new resident of Canada. You know why? Aside from the fact that Canada is an open, prosperous democracy that thrives on its diversity, that is.

Because we have one of the world’s – if not THE world’s – best banking systems. Our system of chartered banks combines the innovative range of products you would expect from a major bank in the USA, with the solid stability that our financial institutions have built up over the years. Canadian chartered banks weathered the 2008 financial crisis better than most. Are they as big as an HSBC or a Wells Fargo? No. But they’re every bit as good, and even more trustworthy, with solid financial structures that can weather most any event.

And Canadian chartered banks would love to have your business! All the major banks have special packages aimed at people exactly like you, who have recently arrived in Canada to start a new life with your families, or on your own. Here’s what they are offering:

6. HSBC

They offer a variety of packages, but have fairly high requirements. HBSC Advance 1, for example, offers the following:

Chequing and Savings accounts;
HBSC MasterCard;
Personal Line of Credit;
Open your Canadian bank account from abroad before arriving;
Transfer your HSBC credit history to Canada;
View all your HSBC global accounts with one log-in;
Transfer funds instantly between your global HSBC accounts.

Sounds good, right? But wait. Here are the requirements: within 6 months of arriving in Canada, you must have a personal deposit or investment of at least CAD$25,000 or a Personal Mortgage Balance of CAD$150,000 or more, both with HSBC Canada.

5. Scotiabank

They offer the following benefits:

$100 when you open a chequing account eligible for the cashback.
Visa Credit Card.
Small Safety Deposit Box free for 1 year.
Car loan.
Scotia iTRADE account with $1,000 investment earns 10 free trades.

Be sure to bring the following documents to prove your:

PR Card or one of Form IMM 5202, IMM 5688;
Valid passport, or Canadian driver’s license, or other valid photo ID

4. CIBC

Everyday Chequing account with no fees for 1 year.
$55 cash back refund on a Safety Deposit box.
CIBC Advantage Debit Card.

3. TD Bank

A chequing account with no monthly fee for the first 6 months.
Savings account with a bonus interest rate.
Unsecured TD Credit Card with no credit history with credit limit of up to $5,000.
International Money Transfers by Visa Direct with 1 transfer per month free of charge for first 6 months.
Possibility of mortgage with no credit history.

Be sure to bring the following documentation to prove you are eligible:

PR Card or one of Form IMM 5292, IMM 1442, IMM 1208, IMM 1202;
Passport, or Canadian Driver’s License, or Canadian Government ID Card.

2, BMO Bank of Montreal

Your Performance Plan Chequing Account will be free with no fees for the first year.
BMO NewStart Program includes your choice of type of BMO MasterCard Credit Card: BMO Air Miles MasterCard, BMO CashBack MasterCard, or BMO SPC Air Miles MasterCard.
You can send money to your family back home several ways: By opening your online banking account you can access Western Union from your computer and send money directly back to your home country; you can wire money through your local branch; you can send an Interac e-transfer within Canada.
Additional 0.25% interest on your 1 – 5 year GIC’s with a minimum $1,000 investment.
Free small-size Safety Deposit Box, or 25% off a larger Safety Deposit Box.
If you are arriving from China, you may open your Canadian bank accounts through the local BMO China subsidiary’s branches in Shanghai, Guangzhou, or Beijing before you land in Canada.

Be sure to bring the following documents so that you can prove you qualify:

Landed Immigrants: PR Card, or one of Form IMM 1000, IMM 1442, IMM 5292, or IMM 5688. Foreign passport or Canadian driver’s license.
Foreign Workers: IMM 1442 (Work Permit), Passport, employee ID card with photo.

1. RBC Royal Bank

Your first credit card with the bank comes with no credit history required.
Your first mortgage also does not require a credit history. You must still meet financial eligibility metrics in both cases.
If you open certain all-inclusive VIP accounts with RBC, you may be eligible for an iPad mini 2.
RBC International Money Transfer.
Your first car loan with no credit history required at specified dealerships across the country.
Preferred exchange rates on foreign transactions for first 12 months after signing up for an account.
Preferred interest rates on Guaranteed Investment Certificates (GIC).
Small-size Safety Deposit Box with fees waived for up to 2 years.
$50 when you open up your first business account with RBC.

Be sure to bring the following documents to prove that you are a newcomer. Your

Landing Papers or PR Card, and
Foreign Passport.

Other Options

Tangerine and President’s Choice Financial are online, low-cost banks where you save on fees (which add up to a lot over time). If you’re comfortable doing your banking online from your home computer, then you should take a look at these two options. They may not have all the bonuses some of the big banks will give you, but you will spend less with them over the years.

A Note About Debit cards

Through the Interact payments system, most Canadians use debit cards when they shop. They are accepted just about everywhere in Canada, and all major banks and credit unions offer them. They link to your bank account and are NOT like Credit Cards. You need money in your bank account for your Debit Card to function. Get used to using your debit card; it’s part of life in Canada.

culled from https://www.immigroup.com/news/best-bank-newcomers-canada

So this was from a 2016 article. Can elders confirm if this info is still valid?

13 Likes 20 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 02, 2017
einsteino:

lolz.

I couldnt get a clear view of your screen but i suspect you are an engineer. for naija here, while my mates in other sector dress in suits, i dress to work as though i am going to buy provisons in the next street. somedays sef na three quarters and sneakers get me. it is one of the things i cherish on the job. i have a similar pic i took about a year ago just like yours, though na for naija sha.

You are a civil engineer, right? That's a 3d software.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Blackbuddy: 12:16am On Oct 03, 2017
alt3r3g0:

So this was from a 2016 article. Can elders confirm if this info is still valid?

Hi, most of the bank packages have been revised since when these came out but it's a good idea of what is available. Checking the website of each bank will reveal their new products currently in place like Presidents Choice that was operated by CIBC is now independent. CIBC has replaced it with Simplii Financial. In summary, all the banks have competitive products as they are competing for the same customers and you can always open multiple accounts with different banks for different purposes. You can open cheque account with one bank, keep investment in another bank and get mortgage from yet another. They all keep trying to outdo each other so you always have choice, cheers.

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by czaratwork: 5:00am On Oct 03, 2017
They counted my POF at Toronto airport. The Egypt air service was good then again i have only done one international travel before now so i cant be a judge on good inflight services.
laborel:
Weldone and thank God you are settling well.

Please I will like to ask your experience with Egypt air...was the flight comfortable and how was their services?

Then, was your PoF checked at any point?

Thanks!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:36am On Oct 03, 2017
Avalon316:

You are a civil engineer, right? That's a 3d software.

Yes, I am.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 6:39am On Oct 03, 2017
SlowlybtSurely:

Not bad. Considering other provinces start JK at 5 and only half day.

I dont understand. what would kids be doing that requires them to wait till 5? at age 5 i was already in primary 1!
oyibo too like soft life.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 7:38am On Oct 03, 2017
alt3r3g0:

Well. Info may still be valid to an extent but confirm the most recent info on individual bank's website. Dynamics of banking changes time after time because it's a very competitive business environment. Canada has one of the best banking systems in the world but surely not the best based on my own experience.

I am yet to see a Canadian bank that offers a service close to what my former bank outside Canada offers, despite paying similar fees for both after converting exchange rate. I am talking about special credit cad rate, free family travel insurance, free car breakdown cover, special customer rates for PTA, free mobile phone insurance to the tune of $1500, free discounts at restaurants and a free family discount for national parks entry (twice a year). If anyone knows a canadian bank that offers such reward on a chequing account, please let me know ooo.lol

alt3r3g0:

Because we have one of the world’s – if not THE world’s – best banking systems. Our system of chartered banks combines the innovative range of products you would expect from a major bank in the USA, with the solid stability that our financial institutions have built up over the years.

One of the things you would quickly learn about us Canadians is national pride just like the Americans too. We like to believe everything Canadian is the best if not the best in the world grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Ajujuju2: 8:15am On Oct 03, 2017
salford1:

Well. Info may still be valid to an extent but confirm the most recent info on individual bank's website. Dynamics of banking changes time after time because it's a very competitive business environment. Canada has one of the best banking systems in the world but surely not the best based on my own experience.

I am yet to see a Canadian bank that offers a service close to what my former bank outside Canada offers, despite paying similar fees for both after converting exchange rate. I am talking about special credit cad rate, free family travel insurance, free car breakdown cover, special customer rates for PTA, free mobile phone insurance to the tune of $1500, free discounts at restaurants and a free family discount for national parks entry (twice a year). If anyone knows a canadian bank that offers such reward on a chequing account, please let me know ooo.lol

One of the things you would quickly learn about us Canadians is national pride just like the Americans too. We like to believe everything Canadian is the best if not the best in the world grin

All I saw was WE CANADIANS THE BEST IN THE WORLD...

grin grin grin
PPR OOOO WHERE R YOU OOO??

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 10:23am On Oct 03, 2017
czaratwork:
They counted my POF at Toronto airport. The Egypt air service was good then again i have only done one international travel before now so i cant be a judge on good inflight services.

Who counted? Egypt Air officials or Canadian Border Officials? Were you carrying more than 10k in cash? If not more than 10k does the airline have a right to count your cash?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 10:33am On Oct 03, 2017
Yooku:

Who counted? Egypt Air officials or Canadian Border Officials? Were you carrying more than 10k in cash? If not more than 10k does the airline have a right to count your cash?

Do they work in Canada at the border? grin

You wey highlight Pearson dey ask if na Egyptians count am...Haba Yooku grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by laborel: 10:48am On Oct 03, 2017
yea thanks.
was it because you we're carrying more than 10k cash or they just counted the whole PoF?

thanks!
Yooku:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2017
Canadianfly:

Do they work in Canada at the border? grin

You wey highlight Pearson dey ask if na Egyptians count am...Haba Yooku grin

Hahahahaha...I just realized my folly grin grin grin Multitasking at work so my parallel multi-threaded processors dey jam jam

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Yooku: 11:10am On Oct 03, 2017
laborel:
yea thanks.
was it because you we're carrying more than 10k cash or they just counted the whole PoF?

thanks!

I think this is the actual question I wanted to ask wink @Canadianfly
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Demo213: 11:12am On Oct 03, 2017
Hello fellow Canadians,

Pls for those that travel from Lagos and cargo their stuff to Canada, I'll appreciate if you can share contact of a reliable cargo agent to use.
We're travelling next week to Edmonton, Alberta and it "just dawn on me" that we actually need to cargo some items.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:18am On Oct 03, 2017
Yooku:

I think this is the actual question I wanted to ask wink @Canadianfly

Lol I figured. wink
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 11:19am On Oct 03, 2017
Demo213:
Hello fellow Canadians,

Pls for those that travel from Lagos and cargo their stuff to Canada, I'll appreciate if you can share contact of a reliable cargo agent to use.
We're travelling next week to Edmonton, Alberta and it "just dawn on me" that we actually need to cargo some items.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Hit Uncle Ballerz up. He cargo-ed his kaya to Canada. He should be able to help you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 12:02pm On Oct 03, 2017
@ Vcole, Pls how easy was it to adjust/ settle as an expectant mum?Wld you advice one to land while preggy or chill till after delivery b4 relocating to Canada if one's COPR validity allows that?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 12:19pm On Oct 03, 2017
Adiahabasi:
@ Vcole, Pls how easy was it to adjust/ settle as an expectant mum?Wld you advice one to land while preggy or chill till after delivery b4 relocating to Canada if one's COPR validity allows that?

Interested in this too but I think ultimately its a personal choice. If na me, having never experienced birthing in Nigeria and scared shitless to the horror labor stories I read about birthing in Nigeria and nurses slapping pregnant women, no epidural? I no like suffer oh. I will jejely carry the beele dey go Canada go born there for quality service and for FREE. Regardless of the hassle of rolling around with a bump. And to be honest, it's easier to get settled in Canada while pregnant than with a new born. Traveling with a new born too, is another hassle on its own. Also less people to pay citizenship fee for when the time comes. For me, these are the things that will guide my decision in braving it and heading to Canada before delivery.

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Tosean(m): 12:53pm On Oct 03, 2017
Ajujuju2:

grin grin grin

Yes oooooooo...AVO please release PPR

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by SlowlybtSurely: 1:42pm On Oct 03, 2017
einsteino:

I dont understand. what would kids be doing that requires them to wait till 5? At age 5 i was already in primary 1!
oyibo too like soft life.

Homeschooling or daycare. The devil and the deep blue sea. Take your pick. grin angry

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 1:57pm On Oct 03, 2017
Ajujuju2:

grin grin grin
we are oo. I havent seen a country that pays people "bigly" wages like Canada grin grin grin

All these banks, airlines, telcos e.t.c just want a piece of the pie too. smiley

Good morning from somewhere in Saskatchewan...

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by MummyJaygirls: 2:49pm On Oct 03, 2017
Adiahabasi:

If u chill till after delivery with copr the child would not be automatic PR shey u know? Its best to rush down to Canada and born full fledged citizen and avoid applying for the new born

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by dustydee: 3:00pm On Oct 03, 2017
salford1:

we are oo. I havent seen a country that pays people "bigly" wages like Canada grin grin grin

All these banks, airlines, telcos e.t.c just want a piece of the pie too. smiley

Good morning from somewhere in Saskatchewan...
I real life, how are the wages compared to the UK? Some of the adverts i saw, once I convert the pay to ££ it seems a bit low. eg. an $80k job is just about £44k.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by AlexanderGreat(m): 3:13pm On Oct 03, 2017
But am sure by the time you see the take-home (after tax) of these two you'll gladly jump on the CAD80k
dustydee:

I real life, how are the wages compared to the UK? Some of the adverts i saw, once I convert the pay to ££ it seems a bit low. eg. an $80k job is just about £44k.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:16pm On Oct 03, 2017
dustydee:

£44k is alot of money in the UK atleast in my industry and that of my wife. e.g In the electrical T & D industry out west, that is around the starting wage for our electricians and technologist (OND level) here. Engineers starts around 90k and in 5 to years could go up to around $140k.. Another 40k from OT is easily obtainable across all cadre.

Those in the oil industry make around double of that.

What province was the job you saw located? I am guessing eastern provinces.

Same for my wife's industry in healthcare. The wage in the UK is just about half of her earnings in CA. In the science, health and tech industry, wages vary accross Canada typically in a west vs east scenario. e.g The big cities jobs starting wage for my wife out east is around $39/hr. While in the west...it starts at around $47.

(1) (2) (3) ... (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) (104) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.