Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,946 members, 7,806,739 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:13 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant - Travel (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant (1979317 Views)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Living In The Uk/life As A UK Immigrant / Living In Australia/life As An Australian Immigrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (505) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stealth02: 6:59am On Oct 08, 2017
Congratulations

freeradical:
As am typing this I'm at Montreal International airport awaiting my last connecting flight to Edmonton in the next 6hrs. To God be the glory we have landed successfully as permanent residents.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:06am On Oct 08, 2017
freeradical:
As am typing this I'm at Montreal International airport awaiting my last connecting flight to Edmonton in the next 6hrs. To God be the glory we have landed successfully as permanent residents.

Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stealth02: 8:18am On Oct 08, 2017
Hello e-family. I have a UK MSc IT and 3yrs foreign experience in NOC 2172 (not landed yet). Please I want to know if the CIPS IT certification cips.ca/AITP is required to get a good IT job in Canada

I understand that other Canadian industry professionals such as engineering have APEGA and accounting have CPA. It will be helpful to know this before I commit to the $75 application review and $275 membership fee (Ontario)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by merrymum: 8:48am On Oct 08, 2017
Thanks very much @GlitteringStar

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:45am On Oct 08, 2017
Jumdah20:
Thanks @glittering star, I saw that, I was looking for more. Oliver Twist things, lols. The kind of robust discussion that people had on Ontario, Alberta and Regina.

Lol @Oliver Twist things. grin There are so many Nigerians in Winnipeg and some in Brandon. Unfortunately, most of them are not on nairaland while others are unwilling to share their experiences.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 9:46am On Oct 08, 2017
freeradical:

Congratulations!!! smiley

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by flyhigh1881: 11:59am On Oct 08, 2017
@Glitteringstar, thanks. Great job�

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Adiahabasi: 1:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
@ Glittering star, babes may you glitter forever! God bless u plenty.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:26pm On Oct 08, 2017
GlitteringStar:

Lol @Oliver Twist things. grin There are so many Nigerians in Winnipeg and some in Brandon. Unfortunately, most of them are not on nairaland while others are unwilling to share their experiences.
Yes. There are lots of Nigerians in brandon and winnipeg but they are not willing to share their experiences of living in manitoba. I was meant to attend a wedding in brandon last month but missed it due to other pressing issues i had to attend to.

Also there are lots of naija landing everyday. 2 friends landed in Ontario just yesterday and many more are landing before the end of the year. Some are on Nairaland, but just as you mentioned, they are not willing to share their experiences. Even on this thread and the other one, when most land, they just lock up. oh well.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 3:49pm On Oct 08, 2017
stealth02:
Hello e-family. I have a UK MSc IT and 3yrs foreign experience in NOC 2172 (not landed yet). Please I want to know if the CIPS IT certification cips.ca/AITP is required to get a good IT job in Canada

I understand that other Canadian industry professionals such as engineering have APEGA and accounting have CPA. It will be helpful to know this before I commit to the $75 application review and $275 membership fee (Ontario)
I am not into IT, but i suggest you google jobs in your field in Canada. The job vacancies would likely have somethings in common like certfications or certain required skills. The same keywords maybe used when HR reps are browsing through hundreds of resumes.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:08pm On Oct 08, 2017
salford1:

Yes. There are lots of Nigerians in brandon and winnipeg but they are not willing to share their experiences of living in manitoba. I was meant to attend a wedding in brandon last month but missed it due to other pressing issues i had to attend to.

Also there are lots of naija landing everyday. 2 friends landed in Ontario just yesterday and many more are landing before the end of the year. Some are on Nairaland, but just as you mentioned, they are not willing to share their experiences. Even on this thread and the other one, when most land, they just lock up. oh well.

Exactly! They are not willing to share their experiences. A big THANK YOU to the likes of you, Blackbuddy, Maternal, Vcole, Honey86, Ballerz, Fusion23, TheCongo2, Debbiejosh, Dogice and all other landed "seniors" who are always ready to contribute, guide, assist and lift others up. kiss

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 4:09pm On Oct 08, 2017
Adiahabasi:
@ Glittering star, babes may you glitter forever! God bless u plenty.

Amen. Thanks sis. kiss

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by stealth02: 4:40pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thanks @salford1

salford1:

I am not into IT, but i suggest you google jobs in your field in Canada. The job vacancies would likely have somethings in common like certfications or certain required skills. The same keywords maybe used when HR reps are browsing through hundreds of resumes.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by toyogirl: 4:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
Some are very conscious of "the village people" and don't want to get "evil eyes" ....lol *runs away*

salford1:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 5:36pm On Oct 08, 2017
toyogirl:
Some are very conscious of "the village people" and don't want to get "evil eyes" ....lol *runs away*

lol nigerians and their superstitions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by jassymama: 5:45pm On Oct 08, 2017
Canadianfly:

Seen it. Will email you tomorrow from my folder The Children's Program grin

please i sent u a pm, i will also need the routine sheet, thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:21pm On Oct 08, 2017
toyogirl:

village people can be hard to deal with. Some wont even tell friends and family of departure dates..Village people can bring down an Aeroplane. Thanks to Nollywood grin grin grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by salford1: 6:22pm On Oct 08, 2017
einsteino:

lol nigerians and their superstitions.
3rd world problems grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Markab: 6:41pm On Oct 08, 2017
grin grin grin
salford1:

3rd world problems grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by TheWatcher212: 6:47pm On Oct 08, 2017
Guys, any advice on a phone plan/network provider that would work in both Ontario and Alberta? I need it for just a one month period. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by maternal: 7:42pm On Oct 08, 2017
salford1:

While the US is firing coal from all cylinders in their coal power plants.

A transcanada pipeline that is meant to carry crude oil from Alberta to the Eastern provinces just got canceled last week too. Na that one pain me pass. It's a $15.7 billion dollar project that would have created 15,000 full time jobs and several thousand part time and casual jobs accross Canada.

Quebec was in strong opposition of the project, yet they receive the most amount in equalization payment.

The Liberal gov full commitments to climate-change policies have created burdens on Oil companies in BC, Alberta and sask, while refineries in Quebec and other eastern provinces keep importing oil from countries such as Venezuela or Saudi. Whereas saudi or venezyela are not imposing greenhouse gas regulations on oil companies in their own country.

1st world problems.lol

This is why unless you have transferable skills or you're high up within a oil company, make your money while planning your exit. While I've taken a massive pay cut since joining the federal government, such news doesn't concern me anymore. I'm even more glad I made the jump now. I wish people in the industry luck.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Nobody: 7:43pm On Oct 08, 2017
Tips needed here!!!

I plan landing in Ontario first week of December before my visa expires. I'm single with no family or friend there. I guess being single makes settling easy, but having no one to guide you through some certain things sets one for a bit rougher patch. I'd like to read here, experience of those who were in similar situation with me, how to sort out cheap accommodation without getting stranded (that's my main issue and I've done a lot of internet surfing on that).
The whole landing ish is making me depressed but I know it's just a phase. I want to book my flight ticket this week.

Pls, if you have any advice, don't ignore my message. Thank you

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Codedmd: 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2017
Hello everyone, pls I need an urgent answer to dis question, can someone get direct employment letter from a company in Canada? Like a company from Canada process work permit visa for someone to work der. Is dis possible? Plz help a brother
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 7:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
My Winnipeg people, pls assist me in deciding on an internet service provider. I need something pocket friendly.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:39pm On Oct 08, 2017
amokemi:
My Winnipeg people, pls assist me in deciding on an internet service provider. I need something pocket friendly.

Thank you.

Well I believe you have Shaw and MTS to choose from. Most immigrants I know in Winnipeg use Shaw, MTS na the oyibo Canadians. Maybe it's because MTS na their own provider so they want to give back to the province? But from my findings then I Went with Shaw because it worked out cheaper as I didn't need a landline line. MTS provides a package with tv, Internet and landline. So it depends on your needs. Check their websites and check that there's coverage in the area of the city you reside. If it's an apartment block, confirm they have connection installed already so you don't pay for installing wiring etc.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Canadianfly: 8:40pm On Oct 08, 2017
Esughusughu:
Tips needed here!!!

I plan landing in Ontario first week of December before my visa expires. I'm single with no family or friend there. I guess being single makes settling easy, but having no one to guide you through some certain things sets one for a bit rougher patch. I'd like to read here, experience of those who were in similar situation with me, how to sort out cheap accommodation without getting stranded (that's my main issue and I've done a lot of internet surfing on that).
The whole landing ish is making me depressed but I know it's just a phase. I want to book my flight ticket this week.

Pls, if you have any advice, don't ignore my message. Thank you

If you read through this thread you'll get pointers for your questions. Also visit impish's blog mycanadianfling.com. A lot of people have shared their ON landing experience.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by einsteino(m): 8:46pm On Oct 08, 2017
salford1:

3rd world problems grin

grin I dont even think we are a part of the world let alone 3rd world. The kind of things you find even highly educated nigerians subscribe to, confirms that.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Codedmd: 9:08pm On Oct 08, 2017
Codedmd:
Hello everyone, pls I need an urgent answer to dis question, can someone get direct employment letter from a company in Canada? Like a company from Canada process work permit visa for someone to work der. Is dis possible? Plz help a brother

Please help oooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 9:31pm On Oct 08, 2017
Thank you Canadianfly. I think I will settle for Shaw then. Saw a Shaw cable in the apartment but I think it's for cable TV. Will check their site to see their packages. Thank you.

Canadianfly:

Well I believe you have Shaw and MTS to choose from. Most immigrants I know in Winnipeg use Shaw, MTS na the oyibo Canadians. Maybe it's because MTS na their own provider so they want to give back to the province? But from my findings then I Went with Shaw because it worked out cheaper as I didn't need a landline line. MTS provides a package with tv, Internet and landline. So it depends on your needs. Check their websites and check that there's coverage in the area of the city you reside. If it's an apartment block, confirm they have connection installed already so you don't pay for installing wiring etc.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by amokemi(m): 9:33pm On Oct 08, 2017
I will advise that you thread softly on this work permit thing. A few people have had their fingers burnt and money down the drain cos of this. If you read this thread from the beginning you will see response to your inquiry. It is almost impossible to get a work permit from Nigeria.

Codedmd:

Please help oooo

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by Oyamade: 9:51pm On Oct 08, 2017
amokemi:
I will advise that you thread softly on this work permit thing. A few people have had their fingers burnt and money down the drain cos of this. If you read this thread from the beginning you will see response to your inquiry. It is almost impossible to get a work permit from Nigeria.

True!!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant by 40manlappy: 9:56pm On Oct 08, 2017
@GlitteringStar

Great job! Well done sis. God bless you real good! smiley

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (505)

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 / Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.